Girls Aloud #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Cutebad are ABYSMAL. Like you said, dull with an OLD sound. Even their look is dated. Personally, I despise that 90s baby thot aesthetic. I don't know how to describe it. They look like transsexuals ffs. I just can't get into these new girl groups, they're way, way too trashy and lack warm, relatable personalities. Girls Aloud had to portray some feminine silliness that made me cringe at times, but they were womanly/mature with a tongue-in-cheek sexiness and tons of personality.

Reactions: 4
I always remember that bit haha. Nadine grabbing her fags and lighter

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Girls Aloud were successful because they were strongly British. These new girl groups try to attract such a wide audience they barely appeal to anyone. Most British groups & bands go to tit when they court American audiences imo. They lose that "something" (certain type of humour? edge?) that appeals back home and why bother when the Americans do their own 'thing' better. That's especially true re pop music. A big part of girl groups is the girls themselves, music is almost secondary really, so ofc US girls are going to prefer their own. I hated The Saturdays for this reason. Like that bizarre wisteria desperate ladies video with the picket fences.

Reactions: 4
We were so so lucky in the 90s, early 2000s with all the girl bands. Eternal, Spice Girls, All Saints, Sugababes, and of course Girls Aloud.
And from the US there was TLC, Destiny’s Child, En Vogue. The list goes on.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Music back then was absolutely brilliant. Makes me feel sorry for children/teenagers these days with all the rubbish that’s in the charts now.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I just miss good pop music. When it’s at its best it’s so much fun. And there’s something so great about the sound of a girlband, women’s voices singing or even shouting together if that makes sense? 😆

• Heart
Reactions: 7
For me the reunion wasn't half hearted in terms of promotion or the tour. They had a fairly busy promotional schedule and the tour was really well received. What I found half hearted was the music. I think the solo Nadine Xenomania tracks are ok but nothing Xenomania did in the 2010s comes close to what they were doing in the 2000s with Sugababes, Girls Aloud, and other artists. If GA had continued into the 2010s, we would've had albums full of stale EDM like what Brian is producing for CuteBad. I'm content with them having split in 2013 because no new music would've came close to Chemistry, Tangled Up, or Out of Control.

Cheryl and Nicola have been open about the fact they didn't work with Xenomania because they wanted their solo music to be of a different sound than GA tracks. And Kimberley was never going to work with Xenomania considering she didn't want to release pop music. I don't think it stacks up that Chimola were sick of Bryan and Nadine and wanted to work with other producers when 3 out of the 4 new tracks were Xenomania ones, including both singles. I'd imagine they know Xenomania are what made GA special, and they were happy for Nadine to do the demos and then go in to record their parts after. No part of that process suggests to me that they wanted to push Nadine and Brian out of the way. I think Chimola are attached to BCYLM because Nicola wrote it, and Nadine only has the "my baby" vocals on it because she personally doesn't like the song.
Beautiful cos you love me is absolutely not a Xenomania track. It was written and produced by someone else entirely.

OTM was produced by the little men.

Only something new, and ENAT are Xenomania from 10.

Personally, I don't think we can say with any certainty that GA would have definitely gone to tit or gone stale so it was best they split when they did, if they carried on with everyone in the band in agreement and giving it their full 100% and sticking to the prescribed formula that had worked for so many years....sadly we'll never know now.

Wouldn't have expected Cheryl or Nicola to use Bryan solo but there was much conversation in music magazines at the time that 10 came out that this was "the first time girls aloud have released non Xenomania material since sound of the underground the album" with people speculating why this was, the general consensus on the pop justice forum at the time was that there was unease between some of the girls and Bryan. Nadine later confounded this with the "they didn't like me cos I got more lines than them" interview in 2018. She said: "But yes, a thing that did cause stress in the band was the fact that I was given more lines and the girls didn’t like Brian [Higgins, Girls Aloud collaborator and the man behind production team Xenomania] as a result of it."

All the trouble seems to have kicked off in the OOC era, so seems to me no coincidence the next album released they made a point of going somewhere other than Xenomania when that was something they hadn't done since 2003.

The songs that Xenomania wrote for sugababes and Kylie in the noughties don't even come close to even some GA b sides for me, I've been listening to the GA podcast recently and the host said both GA and Xenomania were at their best with each other and I totally agree 🤷🏻‍♀️

In fairness, Miranda has left Xenomania now so the lyrics aren't as quirky, which is sad :(.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Music back then was absolutely brilliant. Makes me feel sorry for children/teenagers these days with all the rubbish that’s in the charts now.
100%. I know you always look back fondly on music from when you were in your teens/younger, but we really had it so good compared to today. Even how music is consumed, in my opinion, was better back then.

The best thing to come out of the reunion was without a doubt Something New. What a perfect ‘comeback’ track. It still slaps today.

Reactions: 10
I just miss good pop music. When it’s at its best it’s so much fun. And there’s something so great about the sound of a girlband, women’s voices singing or even shouting together if that makes sense? 😆
I’m not Gen Z but isn’t it just tiktoks now anyway? Like 10 seconds clips instead of proper songs :(

Reactions: 3
kim.jpg

Comment from under a 'confessions with Kim' video. Another poster says she already wrote about it. What's this about?

• Wow
Reactions: 1
That's a load of tit I bet.
I hope so!

Favourite GA looks everyone? Probably a bit boring to most but I liked the biology era. More classically feminine w. simpler hair & makeup.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I bought a pencil skirt from Dorothy perking and would wear with a white vest or a band tee to get the look. Wow how bad was the miming on top of the pops!

Reactions: 3
I hope so!

Favourite GA looks everyone? Probably a bit boring to most but I liked the biology era. More classically feminine w. simpler hair & makeup.

Camera person had a thing for kimberley haha

Reactions: 1
I still think the papers are clutching at straws RE the charity gala. Nobody has said the girls are singing, Kimberley denied it. It was Sarah’s wish in her book and they’ve taken what Nadine said and ran with it.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.