Gender Discussions #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How much are Indian women generally paid to be a surrogate? I can’t imagine it would be a lot if it’s the more ‘cost effective’ option. Ugh just typing that in this context feels wrong. It’s exploitation pure and simple. Women’s bodies are not for sale.
yeh i wonder this too. Even just in the sense of wanting the best for your child it seems strange to go for a "low cost" option (regardless of the ethical implications), if you can afford this surely you would prefer to pay someone who is in a country where you understand the medical system, that the woman will be eating well during the pregnancy etc?

Reactions: 3
Exactly. IVF is ok because it is a helping hand for people to conceive and carry a baby themselves. Paying someone else to do it for you from another country is just not right. The disenfranchised and the poor get abused again.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
yeh i wonder this too. Even just in the sense of wanting the best for your child it seems strange to go for a "low cost" option (regardless of the ethical implications), if you can afford this surely you would prefer to pay someone who is in a country where you understand the medical system, that the woman will be eating well during the pregnancy etc?
Surrogacy is illegal where they're from (Sweden) and I believe Denmark (where the egg is from), unless the woman uses her own egg and gives the baby up for adoption without a fee (effectively like helping out a friend).

I think their options were Eastern Europe and India and for whatever reason, they decided India was a better option. They also seriously considered the U.S. but it's very expensive with lots of legal restrictions so it would've taken longer and been more difficult/expensive.

• Wow
Surrogacy is illegal where they're from (Sweden) and I believe Denmark (where the egg is from), unless the woman uses her own egg and gives the baby up for adoption without a fee (effectively like helping out a friend).

I think their options were Eastern Europe and India and for whatever reason, they decided India was a better option. They also seriously considered the U.S. but it's very expensive with lots of legal restrictions so it would've taken longer and been more difficult/expensive.
Interesting that it is illegal there, I wonder if there is a chnace they could be prosecuted? It's also so sad when there are so many children who need to be adopted

Reactions: 4
Interesting that it is illegal there, I wonder if there is a chnace they could be prosecuted? It's also so sad when there are so many children who need to be adopted
They are still family even if I disagree with some of their actions so I hope not! 😂

My understanding is that they can't be given it happened in a place where it is legal and given the children have genetic ties to either him or his partner (both of whom are Swedish), they are legally Swedish. Apparently it's fairly common there to go abroad for surrogacy given they can't do it at home.

I agree it's sad that people don't adopt children instead but I suppose a lot of people want to have a genetic link with their children (which is a whole other debate onto itself).

I believe commercial surrogacy is illegal in most of the developed world (unless it's more of a legal adoption process without a transfer of fees) with a few exceptions but that doesn't stop thousands of parents from the developed world from going abroad each year and bringing home "their babies."

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
Omg how can that go on. And it’s always hushed up. Ugh get me off this planet

Reactions: 8
that is horrific. If you are so shallow you want to specify your child's appearance you do not deserve to be a parent, you just want an accessory clearly. Most people just hope for a healthy child. Disgusting
I think sadly a lot of parents really care about this and I even think it plays subconsciously into people's choice in partners in many ways such as looking for taller, fit partners with good skin and symmetrical faces. I agree that going as far as to hair and eye hair is extreme and borderlines eugenics.

But ultimately, WHY ARE PEOPLE ALLOWED TO BUY AND SELL CHILDREN. Disgusting.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
My understanding is that it's one of the cheapest globally along with Ukraine, although I think the government recently passed some laws restricting this so a lot of the demand is flooding into eastern Europe.
A distant family friend (my MIL’s friend’s daughter to be precise) has two children born from surrogacy - one from India and one from Ukraine 😑

It is exploitation. There’s no other word for it. How people can bring themselves to do it I don’t know (I mean I do know - desperation for a child). I find it absolutely abhorrent. Julie Bindel has written about it a lot over the years.

The situation in Ukraine during lockdown with surrogate babies stranded and “uncollected” in hospitals should have been a worldwide bleeping scandal.

• Sad
  • Angry
The fact that they call it the 'surrogacy trade' is very telling.

Women, babies and pregnancy are simply commodities to be bought and sold.

@Vee6 - I was SO glad to see that announcement from Transgender Trend this afternoon. It's brilliant news. I hope the other three nations will follow England's lead on it.

Reactions: 5
I could cry! Mermaids are back peddling at the rate of knots! Bring on the law suits

Reactions: 6
Looks like Crispin Blunt is trying to lose Liz Truss her job - isn’t he the guy who left his wife for another man but voted against gay rights? 😒

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.