Gender Discussion #17

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The issue of being expected to use pronouns, or the fear that it might be imposed has been raised a number of times on here. The organisation Sex Matters have just released a helpful guide about legal rights in the UK and strategies for not colluding with the nonsensical bullshit:

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Affirmation only as a medical approach is so dangerous. They say that not doing that harms mental health, how much mental health is being harmed by forcing extended childhood on people, denying their bodies and brains the growth of puberty and ultimately causing infertility.
In a few years there will be lawsuits against all these doctors who complied with children's wishes without assessment. I guess really it is not the child's fault. It is the people who are failing to safe guard them and in many instances go behind the parent's back...doctors, teachers, psychologists etc. Concerned parents are painted as villains.

As I said prior... A GROWN WOMAN who wants her tubes tied often has to go through counselling and gets pushback, and in some sexist cases is asked for her "husband's permission" because of the consequences.
Yet a child can stop puberty and go into early menopause, bind her breast, get surgery, without assessment. It is insane.

• Sick
Reactions: 13
That pronouns article mentioned how teachers may be told they have to use new pronouns with the child and others with the parents and pointed out that keeping secrets with the child is a safeguarding issue. How is child safety being thrown out like this? If a school kept things like that from me about my kids I would be reporting them to everyone I could.

• Wow
Reactions: 12
I’ve been looking at this pheebs persons Twitter and she’s an absolute nutter - she’s desperate to be oppressed hence why she’s now claiming to be NB. I don’t like to comment on appearances but I assumed she was in her 40s but apparently she’s only 22. Being an attention seeker is clearly ageing.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
That pronouns article mentioned how teachers may be told they have to use new pronouns with the child and others with the parents and pointed out that keeping secrets with the child is a safeguarding issue. How is child safety being thrown out like this? If a school kept things like that from me about my kids I would be reporting them to everyone I could.
In Canada and USA there is an organization at schools called Gay Straight Alliance. I am not sure if it is at UK schools. It is a "safe" space for kids. Kids can tell teachers a different name and pronouns than what their parents use and teachers will use those in class. Yet at parents evening, report cards, they will use the name and pronouns the parents gave. It's fucked.

• Wow
  • Sad
That’s not right. If parents are the ones causing harm there are ways to deal with it but parents should always be considered to be their childrens safe space as default - because they should be. I know students over 18 are technically adults but there are so many instances of students struggling and trying to seek help at uni and their parents weren’t told anything until tragedy strikes.

Happy birthday to one of my least favourite people! Who continues to prove that just because you are a white, physically able, university educated man, doesn't mean that you can't also claim that you are oppressed and make it your entire personality trait!
Nothing to do with the fact you have a penis then and still have one you idiotic man

Happy birthday to one of my least favourite people! Who continues to prove that just because you are a white, physically able, university educated man, doesn't mean that you can't also claim that you are oppressed and make it your entire personality trait!
If only the doctor had had the knowledge and skill to look into the future and write “insufferable little twit” on Owen’s birth certificate instead!
I can’t believe he is Mayor of Bangor when he’s not even welsh!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
Affirmation only as a medical approach is so dangerous. They say that not doing that harms mental health, how much mental health is being harmed by forcing extended childhood on people, denying their bodies and brains the growth of puberty and ultimately causing infertility.
It’s crazy. In what other area of medicine is a delusion (such as “I was born in the wrong body”) just… accepted?

Here’s a really good thread from a detransitioner about how damaging this approach was to them.

• Sad
The issue of being expected to use pronouns, or the fear that it might be imposed has been raised a number of times on here. The organisation Sex Matters have just released a helpful guide about legal rights in the UK and strategies for not colluding with the nonsensical bullshit:

Thank you for that . Very interesting.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
You know we were discussing the rumours flying around about young female students being stabbed with needles and possibly being injected with sedatives - and that it sounded like an old urban myth about spreading HIV?

Well it’s already evolved into “spreading HIV” so I really do think it’s an urban myth.

1A76959C-ABCB-4E73-B836-6D4CB1F7787F.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 6
There's a difference between sex yet 'people' is there, if woman is such a problem word for these publications, they could go with pregnant female humans.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
"I support anyone's right to be who they want to be. My question is, to what extent do I have to participate in your self-image?"
I feel quite strongly that this really sums up how a vast majority of people really feel about this, whether they speak out loud about it or not.

I do not care whether someone identifies as a lamp, if it's what they need to be happy and confident and live their life. I just don't think I should be obliged to pretend I think they're a lamp too.

As I said prior... A GROWN WOMAN who wants her tubes tied often has to go through counselling and gets pushback, and in some sexist cases is asked for her "husband's permission" because of the consequences.
Yet a child can stop puberty and go into early menopause, bind her breast, get surgery, without assessment. It is insane.
I am in the process of trying to have my tubes tied (mid thirties, no children) and it's unbelievably difficult. Yet I'm sure if I lied and told my doctor I was NB I'd be top of the goddamn list to have the whole lot whipped out.

Reactions: 10
A woman I know recently started identifying as "non-binary." She has a number of mental and physical health problems that I think are far more of a factor here than genuine dysphoria of which she has seen no signs. Today she threw a tantrum on her social media because, when she "came out", she announced she wanted people to pronounce her name slightly differently. She has a common feminine name - let's pretend it's Anna and instead of "ANN-a" she wants people to pronounce it as "AHN-a". She thinks that this is somehow making a break from the past and more befitting of a non-binary person; how? You still have a feminine name that people will always associate with a woman. And sees it as a form of "misgendering" if someone gets it wrong

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.