Gender Discussion #17

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A woman I know recently started identifying as "non-binary." She has a number of mental and physical health problems that I think are far more of a factor here than genuine dysphoria of which she has seen no signs. Today she threw a tantrum on her social media because, when she "came out", she announced she wanted people to pronounce her name slightly differently. She has a common feminine name - let's pretend it's Anna and instead of "ANN-a" she wants people to pronounce it as "AHN-a". She thinks that this is somehow making a break from the past and more befitting of a non-binary person; how? You still have a feminine name that people will always associate with a woman. And sees it as a form of "misgendering" if someone gets it wrong
I can't be arsed with NB as a trend anymore. A friend of mine "came out" a couple of months ago as NB on social media, and then quietly decided he was a man again within about two weeks. Can't lose that great manprivilege!

I briefly worked with someone who was what I'd consider actually NB - very androgynous, didn't give a duck about pronouns, just wanted to be something in the middle/neither and left alone about it. I respect that those people do exist but I think 99.9999% of "non-binary" people on Twitter are just piss-takers and attention seekers.

Reactions: 26
About the spiking. Ever generation has a spiking epidemic. This is just bigger news because of social media.

There will be girls getting spiked and assaulted, as there has been for decades. But it's not a new thing and it's not in the numbers being claimed.

Many of the stories I have heard recently from men and women don't ring true. The fact is, when someone claimes they were spiked, but there was no assault or atempted assault, they probably just had too much to drink and/or want attention.

What has really annoyed me about this, is the way it's spoken about is as if it's happening to men and women and its just about spiking and how women can protect themselves.

Real spiking isn't about giving someone drugs without their consent. It's about men raping women. That is what we should be talking about. How do we stop men using drugs to rape women. What is wrong with men that they think it's ok to give women drugs so they can rape them.

Oh and as someone that took recreational drugs for a very long time, you don't waste your drugs on people that don't want them. Why would I put good drugs into someone else's drink "for a laugh" when I could sell them or take them myself or give them to a friend and have a shared experience. Drug users don't spike people's drinks, it's a falsehood spread by people that fear drugs and drug users. Rapists drug people's drinks no one else.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Does anyone else follow fatpheebs on twitter she’s on yet another rant about women and the recent campaign against spiking in night clubs
So basically white women can’t get involved in campaigning for anything, even something that also effects them? I haven’t heard reports of any trans women being spiked, all reports have been young university age women
I got piled on a post on Instagram re spiking by some namby pamby womens group apologising for not including trans, non binary people blah blah blah. I said ffs can women not have anything for ourselves, and out they all came calling me a transphobe and accusing me of gatekeeping.

Just what I fancy buying
Tunnocks are made in my hometown and I’ll always defend them. Good local employer and the owner does a lot for the area. I’m delighted they donated to LGB Alliance 😀😀

Reactions: 20
Oh do duck off 🙄 It was only a matter of time until women were removed from the conversation, wasn't it?

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
Oh do duck off 🙄 It was only a matter of time until women were removed from the conversation, wasn't it?

I really can't get over how these queers crying about this whole 'girls night in' thing not being inclusive enough really didn't seem to care before? And when the women who it's actually disproportionally impacting decide to try and do something about it, the queers have to come in a tit all over it.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
A woman I know recently started identifying as "non-binary." She has a number of mental and physical health problems that I think are far more of a factor here than genuine dysphoria of which she has seen no signs. Today she threw a tantrum on her social media because, when she "came out", she announced she wanted people to pronounce her name slightly differently. She has a common feminine name - let's pretend it's Anna and instead of "ANN-a" she wants people to pronounce it as "AHN-a". She thinks that this is somehow making a break from the past and more befitting of a non-binary person; how? You still have a feminine name that people will always associate with a woman. And sees it as a form of "misgendering" if someone gets it wrong
Names are a weird thing. Quite a few people are so hung up on theirs and get offended when people don't remember or can't pronounce them. I have a (for British people) unpronounceable surname. If people get the pronunciation right, they almost always start misspelling it. It honestly doesn't bother me one bit. I can tell the difference between someone making an effort and someone purposefully being an arse. Why would I let other people's difficulty with pronouncing certain sounds or remembering spelling affect how I feel about myself? It's just so odd.

Reactions: 18
They’re totally bleeping insufferable. I cannot believe that Girls Night In felt they had to make that statement. Talk about the TRAs holding a metaphorical gun to people’s heads to get them to repeat their bloody mantras. And as for the anti-carceral bit, give me bloody strength! I bet they don’t even know what that means. Are they saying they are anti-prison too? That’s a bit odd given that they were set up to protest against a criminal offence that could potentially result in a custodial sentence. Idiots!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I really can't get over how these queers crying about this whole 'girls night in' thing not being inclusive enough really didn't seem to care before? And when the women who it's actually disproportionally impacting decide to try and do something about it, the queers have to come in a tit all over it.
exactly, women are being drugged and raped but yes, let's focus on how marginalised trns people are AGAIN

• Angry
Reactions: 16
What were the tweets that David Paisley felt threatened by that he had to ring the police on the woman in Belfast?

Reactions: 4

Its completely understandable and right that this has happened. There has been a huge surge in spiking incidents involving fat purple haired men self identifying as woman that they needed to be included.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
Its completely understandable and right that this has happened. There has been a huge surge in spiking incidents involving fat purple haired men self identifying as woman that they needed to be included.
Exactly. Spiking is done to assult the victim, usually women. Sometimes men by other men. A trans person is (sorry not sorry I'm gonna be uber offensive) the least sexually desirable to the vast majority of people. So they're probably the least likely to be spiked.

If women tried to barge their way into trans issues that didn't effect us, we'd be hung drawn and quartered. But trans people are allowed to centre themselves in an issue that does not effect them. Men are not going out and spiking trans people.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I assume many of you don't know this. I only know because I have friends in Spain. But the Ministry of Equality should be called Queer ministry to be more accurate.
The feminist movement (the real one, of course) has been fighting this ministry which is literally obsessed with the self-id laws. It's like the only thing they care about. The head of the ministry also talks in a "neutral inclusive" way which, according to my friends, sounds bleeping horrific in Spanish.
Well, today there was a demonstration against said ministry. With banners that included quotes such as "being lesbian isn't being transphobic" and more than you can imagine. The reaction from the party that most of this ministry belongs to? (there is a dual government in Spain): saying that those aren't feminists, they are just transphobes.
The gaslighting is disgusting. It's like the Labour party, but they speak Spanish. And they keep on saying that if women don't vote for them, it'd be their fault that the far-right wins the next elections. It honestly sickens me so much.

Do you know what other parties support self-id in Spain? One on the right which supports surrogacy more than anything else, for example. Great allies to have, yeah.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
I assume many of you don't know this. I only know because I have friends in Spain. But the Ministry of Equality should be called Queer ministry to be more accurate.
The feminist movement (the real one, of course) has been fighting this ministry which is literally obsessed with the self-id laws. It's like the only thing they care about. The head of the ministry also talks in a "neutral inclusive" way which, according to my friends, sounds bleeping horrific in Spanish.
Well, today there was a demonstration against said ministry. With banners that included quotes such as "being lesbian isn't being transphobic" and more than you can imagine. The reaction from the party that most of this ministry belongs to? (there is a dual government in Spain): saying that those aren't feminists, they are just transphobes.
The gaslighting is disgusting. It's like the Labour party, but they speak Spanish. And they keep on saying that if women don't vote for them, it'd be their fault that the far-right wins the next elections. It honestly sickens me so much.

Do you know what other parties support self-id in Spain? One on the right which supports surrogacy more than anything else, for example. Great allies to have, yeah.
ugh this is so disappointing as Spain has (in my view - in the past anyway) done a lot to (attempt to) deal with things like domestic violence. I am glad people are protesting though, in the UK a protest like this would likely be a tiny one as people (myself included) are basically scared to do so. I don;t know when this is going ot end, how awful an incident has to happen before people realise "self ID" is not safe for women?

Reactions: 7
ugh this is so disappointing as Spain has (in my view - in the past anyway) done a lot to (attempt to) deal with things like domestic violence. I am glad people are protesting though, in the UK a protest like this would likely be a tiny one as people (myself included) are basically scared to do so. I don;t know when this is going ot end, how awful an incident has to happen before people realise "self ID" is not safe for women?
Yes, Spain has progressed a lot in feminist issues. It was great to see, but this new group of people are destroying everything. They talk about gendered violence (and cry while doing it like the sick hypocrites they are) while telling you a man can say he's a woman during a trial for domestic violence, which means he'll get a better verdict. It happened recently with a man who had killed his niece. The family was destroyed because they know what a monster he is and they were afraid this could help him in his trial.

They had another protest a couple of months ago in different parts of the country (one of my friends went to the one in Barcelona) and were attacked by TRAs. One of the women ended up in the hospital, literally. My friend said that when the TRAs got there, the police tried to stop them but ended up asking the women to please go because they couldn't do much more to stop them.
And that gets no coverage on tv. Today, they showed it on TVE (which is like the Spanish BBC). And one of the guys from this political party I mentioned (who is a horrible person in general) said he had to change the channel because he was going to throw up. What kind of comment is that from a politician? I don't get how more people don't see it, honestly.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
Yes, Spain has progressed a lot in feminist issues. It was great to see, but this new group of people are destroying everything. They talk about gendered violence (and cry while doing it like the sick hypocrites they are) while telling you a man can say he's a woman during a trial for domestic violence, which means he'll get a better verdict. It happened recently with a man who had killed his niece. The family was destroyed because they know what a monster he is and they were afraid this could help him in his trial.

They had another protest a couple of months ago in different parts of the country (one of my friends went to the one in Barcelona) and were attacked by TRAs. One of the women ended up in the hospital, literally. My friend said that when the TRAs got there, the police tried to stop them but ended up asking the women to please go because they couldn't do much more to stop them.
And that gets no coverage on tv. Today, they showed it on TVE (which is like the Spanish BBC). And one of the guys from this political party I mentioned (who is a horrible person in general) said he had to change the channel because he was going to throw up. What kind of comment is that from a politician? I don't get how more people don't see it, honestly.
I was going to say, I sometimes watch TVE or read El Pais etc but I never see any of this there, I have only seen things like this on social media. So awful. These cases like you mentioned will end up with lawyers advising their clients to "self ID" as women to get a more lenient sentence, the same as with people in the olympics etc so they can win events they wouldn't win as men

• Sad
Reactions: 8
I was going to say, I sometimes watch TVE or read El Pais etc but I never see any of this there, I have only seen things like this on social media. So awful. These cases like you mentioned will end up with lawyers advising their clients to "self ID" as women to get a more lenient sentence, the same as with people in the olympics etc so they can win events they wouldn't win as men
And this is the way Scotland is going. I’m honestly shocked there’s not a bigger backlash about this. I’m shaking with rage judt thinking about how wrong, unfair and dangerous self id is for women. It’s basically giving violent men a free pass to do whatever the duck they want to women and if convicted they will go to a women’s prison so they can abuse more women. Why even have laws at all????

• Heart
Reactions: 11
And this is the way Scotland is going. I’m honestly shocked there’s not a bigger backlash about this. I’m shaking with rage judt thinking about how wrong, unfair and dangerous self id is for women. It’s basically giving violent men a free pass to do whatever the duck they want to women and if convicted they will go to a women’s prison so they can abuse more women. Why even have laws at all????
exactly, what can we even do at this point? I feel hopeless really, and in a way I have never felt as a feminist before - obviously there were always issues etc, but i did feel we were (slowly) advancing but now..... we are again just fighting against a very aggressive group of men

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.