Gender Discussion #17

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is really interesting to me. I sew and knit, and I stay the hell away from the vast majority of online crafting stuff because it's usually either madly woke, or it's Americans talking an awful lot about God and modest dressing. No middle ground, it seems.

There's a big question here too, and this is quite off-topic for gender but it relates to the wider woke world. I've noticed that the people who complain about cultural appropriation of Japanese garments are...very rarely Japanese. At most, they are American with Japanese ancestry - often not even that. I don't see how someone whose grandparents emigrated 60 years ago can become the spokesperson for an entire nation? In fact, is it not kind of racist to say of someone born and raised in London or Chicago, who speaks only English, "oh, Susie must be an expert on Japan"? I dunno. It's overwhelming sometimes...
The Japanese in Japan see themselves as very much superior to the western world and also most other Asians so I don’t think they see it as appropriation because we aren’t that important. People of Japanese heritage who have experienced western racism all their lives are understandably more sensitive. Just my personal observations.

Reactions: 8
Does anyone else follow fatpheebs on twitter she’s on yet another rant about women and the recent campaign against spiking in night clubs
So basically white women can’t get involved in campaigning for anything, even something that also effects them? I haven’t heard reports of any trans women being spiked, all reports have been young university age women
I don't follow her but some of her posts pop up from others I follow like an odd post, she talks so much shite. Might be the last thread that the name girls night in was nothing more than a play on a phase and checking the Belfast setup it is including all! You can bet if it was planned by trans\non-binary ones and anyone not in those groups would get crap if they joined claiming cis-het :rolleyes: were trying to take over their thing.

1634906353896.png

Reactions: 2
Sweet Mary, Mother of God.

WOMEN get raped and spiked. WOMEN. PREDOMINANTLY BY MEN. I DON'T CARE ABOUT NON BINARY PEOPLE OR BLOKES DRESSING UP AS WOMEN. duck OFF.

Putin is giving the TRA's ammunition unfortunately. I agree with him totally on trans, however, his homophobia is inherently evil so will give the TRA's even more reason to be the most oppressed people on earth.

Reactions: 24
The TRAs and wokies are trying to create a barrier between black and white women too. They act as though non Caucasian women should be lumped in with then as being "other". They are the racist ones.

My dad has Indian heritage and in my experience women the world over are united in their oppression. We all have common experiences, not just the important biological ones, that we bond over and they hate that. Divide and rule.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Exactly. White women in the UK/ Ireland etc are obviously not as oppressed as women in Afghanistan but we have being women in common. Women in Afghanistan have absolutely no common ground with an AGP male in a dress

• Haha
Reactions: 28
In the same way they try to divide non-white people and get them to fight against each other. It's a very old trick.
It's just another way to tell women to shut up. But you say it with a "ha ha ha, what a Karen" and it's so funny and progressive :rolleyes:

• Sick
Reactions: 14
The alt-right/neo-Nazis are trying to popularise racist pseudoscience that claims that Black people are genetically different from everyone else and closer to animals than humans. So when white transwomen claim they are just like Black women in fighting to be rightly seen as women, they're playing right into this

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
Does anyone else follow fatpheebs on twitter she’s on yet another rant about women and the recent campaign against spiking in night clubs
So basically white women can’t get involved in campaigning for anything, even something that also effects them? I haven’t heard reports of any trans women being spiked, all reports have been young university age women
so something doesnt focus on a minority, must be totally wrong 🙄

Reactions: 4
The alt-right/neo-Nazis are trying to popularise racist pseudoscience that claims that Black people are genetically different from everyone else and closer to animals than humans. So when white transwomen claim they are just like Black women in fighting to be rightly seen as women, they're playing right into this
While I'm not saying that the alt right aren't doing this, some toxic discourse comes from the far left too. They are also creating a divide and pitting white and women of colour against each other

Reactions: 12
This is really interesting to me. I sew and knit, and I stay the hell away from the vast majority of online crafting stuff because it's usually either madly woke, or it's Americans talking an awful lot about God and modest dressing. No middle ground, it seems.

There's a big question here too, and this is quite off-topic for gender but it relates to the wider woke world. I've noticed that the people who complain about cultural appropriation of Japanese garments are...very rarely Japanese. At most, they are American with Japanese ancestry - often not even that. I don't see how someone whose grandparents emigrated 60 years ago can become the spokesperson for an entire nation? In fact, is it not kind of racist to say of someone born and raised in London or Chicago, who speaks only English, "oh, Susie must be an expert on Japan"? I dunno. It's overwhelming sometimes...
bib made me laugh because it's so true.

Anyway, to your second point, I see this too. The whole concept of cultural appropriation has been warped and distorted. There are very few situations where a specific garment should never be worn (i.e. Nazi uniform) - but in my opinion even that shouldn't be dictated by law. It's not a legal matter but a social thing - a bit like if a guest to your house shat on your kitchen floor. It wouldn't be illegal, but there'd be social consequences.

Clothes are just clothes. Anyone should be able to wear what they want to wear. Some things are social faux pas and people may judge you for them, and that's fine.

I've lived in various countries and have amazing clothes which co-workers and friends from those countries gave me as special gifts. I have no occasion to wear them here, so I don't. But it's crazy that people in the UK may have an issue with me wearing a hanbok from Korea that was given to me by Korean friends in Korea as a gift!

• Heart
Reactions: 16
While I'm not saying that the alt right aren't doing this, some toxic discourse comes from the far left too. They are also creating a divide and pitting white and women of colour against each other
I agree. No side has a monopoly on that - it's the alt-right that is trying to use pseudoscience to justify racism, but everyone wants to split women. I find leftist men particularly bad for "misogyny isn't misogyny if I say I'm only talking about WHITE women or CIS women"

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 13
bib made me laugh because it's so true.

Anyway, to your second point, I see this too. The whole concept of cultural appropriation has been warped and distorted. There are very few situations where a specific garment should never be worn (i.e. Nazi uniform) - but in my opinion even that shouldn't be dictated by law. It's not a legal matter but a social thing - a bit like if a guest to your house shat on your kitchen floor. It wouldn't be illegal, but there'd be social consequences.

Clothes are just clothes. Anyone should be able to wear what they want to wear. Some things are social faux pas and people may judge you for them, and that's fine.

I've lived in various countries and have amazing clothes which co-workers and friends from those countries gave me as special gifts. I have no occasion to wear them here, so I don't. But it's crazy that people in the UK may have an issue with me wearing a hanbok from Korea that was given to me by Korean friends in Korea as a gift!
yeah I agree, and a lot of the stuff about cultural appropriation seems to come from white people in my experience, I know people who are, for example, indian, and when they got married in the UK they want everyone (of indian background or otherwise) to wear traditional indian clothes. Again it seems like a small minority making this a concern when it doesn;t need to be

Reactions: 10
I think misogyny should be renamed Cisogny. How dare 'people with wombs' assume that they have any rights in the world because they happen to be AFAB.

Reactions: 11
I agree. No side has a monopoly on that - it's the alt-right that is trying to use pseudoscience to justify racism, but everyone wants to split women. I find leftist men particularly bad for "misogyny isn't misogyny if I say I'm only talking about WHITE women or CIS women"
Your last point really hits home. It was one of my early wake-up calls to the toxicity of woke ideology when I encountered young lefty men who were very happy to be as misogynistic as possible about white/'cis'/middle-aged women.

Reactions: 17
That Fatpheebs is a nasty piece of work.

It's women who are being spiked in nightclubs. Always has been. There might be the odd non binary or trans person thrown into the mix but listen - a man who has set out to spike a woman doesn't give a hoot if you identify as "non binary". You're still a woman and therefore a target.

So yes, "cishet, middle-class, able-bodied, white women" should be at the forefront of campaigning against it because it happens to them. As should all of our sisters, because that has always included black women, Asian women, lesbian women, bisexual women...people like Fatpheebs are hell-bent on causing divides and pitting women against each other.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
In some ways I feel like I'm still waking up to this horror. I'm 60, live in the countryside, virtually all our friends are very similar to us in so many ways - not necessarily class (whatever that means these days) but basically white, hetero, in long term relationships/married. Most have kids. Also have gay friends, but they too tend to be in long term relationships and quite comfortable with themselves. So I'm not exposed to this bollocks on a day to day basis. Although I have noticed my 22 year old has her 'pronouns' on her insta page - you'd only have to look at her to know... but I try not to debate this stuff with my daughters because it's too much of a minefield. Bodily autonomy and misogyny we can talk for hours though!

I've said it before, I say it again. I cannot support an ideology that wants to rewrite history. It's not healthy. I will always respect people's chosen names and I'm a firm believer in anyone having the freedom to live how they wish (within the limits of the law, of course). But I cannot and will not pretend that Elliot Page was a man when he played Juno. I cannot pretend that a transwoman had the same experiences as me as a girl. Yes, everyone is unique, but ALL girls have experiences around getting their period, dealing with being sexualised by the world around them, the physical pain of your body developing. Boys' experiences are different. They are no less valid or important, but they are different.

Did EP deal with wet dreams? Inappropriate erections? Pressure to act masculine? I find it highly unlikely.
Yes, 100% this.
If deadnaming hurts you and is ACTUAL VIOLENCE, then you should seek help for your mental issues, regardless of how you are presenting yourself. Similarly when they say that denying trans people healthcare leads to them dying as it makes them more likely to self harm. Isn't that a kind of blackmail? NO-ONE should be self-harming.

Also, the external element, where they expect everyone to "affirm" them. Spirituality 101 - placing your happiness on anything external to yourself will always lead to misery. If these people truly loved and accepted themselves, pronouns and affirmation surgery wouldn't matter.

Even before all this recent furore, there was an excellent quote from Dave Chappelle : "I support anyone's right to be who they want to be. My question is, to what extent do I have to participate in your self-image?"

The Japanese in Japan see themselves as very much superior to the western world and also most other Asians so I don’t think they see it as appropriation because we aren’t that important. People of Japanese heritage who have experienced western racism all their lives are understandably more sensitive. Just my personal observations.
Looking back at the 90s though Gwen Stefani going round with a group of harjuku girls was a bit dodgé.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21
Also, the external element, where they expect everyone to "affirm" them. Spirituality 101 - placing your happiness on anything external to yourself will always lead to misery. If these people truly loved and accepted themselves, pronouns and affirmation surgery wouldn't matter.

Even before all this recent furore, there was an excellent quote from Dave Chappelle : "I support anyone's right to be who they want to be. My question is, to what extent do I have to participate in your self-image?"
Yes. I knew a woman who suffered horrendously with bipolar, one of the symptoms is delusions of grandeur. So she thought she was in confidence with the pope. Did that means we all started to refer to her as a cardinal? No of course not. We knew this was a symptom of her mental illness and she got help. Not saying these are identical situations but you can see parallels...

Reactions: 12
Affirmation only as a medical approach is so dangerous. They say that not doing that harms mental health, how much mental health is being harmed by forcing extended childhood on people, denying their bodies and brains the growth of puberty and ultimately causing infertility.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.