Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

emm

VIP Member
I have to say my experience as an academic was the same. When I was an undergrad (not even that long ago to be honest) if we had turned up to seminars without doing the key reading we would be kicked out of the class. The tutor would pick on random students and expect us to know key cases (this was an LLB degree) and if someone was obviously unprepared they’d be asked to leave. When I was teaching, we weren’t allowed to pick on students to ask questions because it ‘causes anxiety’ so you’d often sit there in silence waiting for someone to answer a question. You’re encouraged not to fill silences to encourage students to have a go at answering, but I found this irritating and frankly painful. Same with deadlines for essays, and even exams. When I was an undergrad you needed a medical note to get an extension. I hate to sound all ‘back in my day’ but honestly I do think academia has gone up shit creek without a paddle these days, it’s sad to see in such a short space of time.
how are any of these people going to cope in the real world?! God as a teacher the idea of standing in a lecture room in silence as no one answers fills me with dread :ROFLMAO:

It’s definitely shifted in the past 5 -10 years. When I was at uni 13-10 years ago I had literature seminars and you were the odd one out if you DIDN’T have anything to add to the discussion - studying and keeping up seemed to be the order of the day. Facebook Twitter etc were around of course but we weren’t being advertised to/groomed at the same level. I think schooling is failing kids and not preparing them for the world of work or higher education to be honest. I know of a couple of 21 year olds who have been looking for jobs for 3 years each and they only last a few weeks at places because they have no work ethic, they don’t want to do anything, they don’t participate in bringing solutions or helping others etc. These are family friends and they are to be quite honest, pathetic. I think something has happened in the last 5 years where kids are coddled too much and given false entitlement and it shows. They also don’t seem to know how debate and polite discussion works.
I agree, I think also part of it is that there are a few (in relative terms) wildly successful influencers who are basically raking i money for doing nothing and this is seemingly what a lot of young people aspire to. I mean I would love money for nothing (wouldn't we all) but I didn't grow up with that even being on my radar

Reactions: 4

HockyRorror

VIP Member
I'm pretty sure Kathy Burke is on the side of the TRAs, I vaguely remember some tweets.

You should totally start a thread about Ash!
Nooooo! I shouldn’t have read that before bed 😭 I’m still a fan though. Unlike TRAs I’m not about to throw a fit and set my copies of GGG on fire.

I’ll start one tomorrow if somebody already hasn’t!

fizzyjerk

Sounds like he'd been physically and mentally abusive throughout the entire marriage. None of the more recent articles seem to acknowledge that however.

emm

VIP Member
Does anyone else follow fatpheebs on twitter she’s on yet another rant about women and the recent campaign against spiking in night clubs
So basically white women can’t get involved in campaigning for anything, even something that also effects them? I haven’t heard reports of any trans women being spiked, all reports have been young university age women
so something doesnt focus on a minority, must be totally wrong 🙄

Platformcrocs

VIP Member
This Twitter thread is doing the rounds
Where are the stats to say trans people are being murdered?!?
According to the Trans Murder Monitoring project, 11 trans women have been murdered in the UK since 2008. You can see the latest stats per country here: https://transrespect.org/en/map/trans-murder-monitoring/ and their methodology here: https://transrespect.org/en/tmm-methodology/

They've noted that some countries such as Brazil and Mexico stand out due to the partner organisations in those countries working to collect data on a regular basis - I'm not sure there's as much monitoring in the UK. But it's a little underhand for TRAs to claim "many" trans women are being murdered because the current data simply doesn't match up.

katiesmith81

VIP Member
Have you read Abigail Shrier's book? She talks about the trans phenomenon amongst teens, mostly girls. But psychologists also talk about how teens with autism are often falling into the "trans" trap. Your comment about your son being autistic leapt out at me for this reason. She speaks to parents who were blindsided by their kids.
Watching some of her videos and have to say I find it utterly fascinating. Not sure if it was on here or on a video of hers by a users comments, in which they state about the lack of parents not being their or least trying to be their 'best friend' and being an actual parent, couldn't agree more. Though rather I dont have kids (dont want to possibly give anyone my health problem (have a few but the bigger one), one being a half chance of passing onto offspring) but is when I really truly appreciate my upbringing with the fact that I try to be as realistic as possible vs what I want haha.

The reality is @callurdadurinacult is yeah going to be least sometimes difficult saying no, but you're not there really to be their best friend least all the time anyway, like always a yes to your children. Is what my parents did to me, did least sometimes say no to certain things and looking back would have said the same if I were ever to have kids in the same situation as such. As I like to think I turned out as a level headed person in that sense.

Though not sure from the MTF sense but have read some users comments in a video where she talks to Roe Rogan, where someone said they'd either known or heard of a FTM trans girl (or thinks they were trans) having hormones or hormone blockers I think was the latter, where least one of their reproductive organs atrophied, essentially tissue damage and thats a very risky thing (could even potentially be fatal). Like she said in that interview in the US at least (though here in UK I dont know) there's no real oversight of prescribing hormones, is how (like she mentioned) the opiate/opiod problem of over-prescribing them happened (crisis I think its called) where one of the drugs companies pushing oxycontin were sued for lying about its addictive properties.

Ensay

VIP Member
What these morons fail to realise is that all they are doing is making people go out and buy Tunnocks Teacakes. I bought some yesterday. I've even read that some supermarkets are running low on stock now.

View attachment 826095
Plenty of people have said Tunnocks thought it was just a general LGBT/Pride event, they didn't realise the details. After all, a cake company taking a political position isn't a good idea because it's not good for business regardless of the position.

Like when Yorkshire Tea was seen to be pro Tory because Rishi Sunak posed with a bag of it on Twitter. :D

emm

VIP Member
Some people are still afraid of being called a TERF I think, too. I had this conversation with a relative the other day, she has very TERF views but when I pointed that out to her she was all 'oh, I'm not a TERF though.' I said to her that I'm very much a TERF and the views she has would be considered TERFY ones and she looked puzzled. The internet has done a good job at making people think that very normal and commonly held views are associated with a word that is clearly used as a slur. Personally I'm not deterred by mindless name-calling and I'd rather be a TERF than a misogynist but some people are still bothered by it.
I agree, even now I know what TERF really means I still skim over it and have the idea in my mind that it is something negative, having seen it described as such for so long

• Heart
If it was someone like Sam Smith you where talking about I would tell him to stand in front of a mirror and hey presto he would see he was a man. Hopefully your friend receives proper counselling to deal with her trauma and its probably best that you did bite your tongue.
She is having counselling - has had to as the whole experience has left her with a form of PTSD :( You are absolutely right about Sam Smith!

• Heart