Formula 1 Wags #144 The King has Risen

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This doesn’t surprise me.

I went to a race in Italy when I was a teenager with my mom. We went to Imola.

I have no desire to ever return to Italy after that experience. It was totally intimidating, people would push you out of the way without a thought, sit in your allocated seat and refuse to move, just generally rude.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
I know there is a lot of critique regarding DR, but what about Checo? Not to be rude or anything but he literally holds two of the least desired records in F1: most starts before a pole position and most starts before an F1 win.
This year so far, his performance has been very underwhelming in comparison to Max. Considering they drive the same car, he should have done a lot better. Carlos and Charles are a lot closer in performance than Max and Checo, and I am curious as to why people don't talk about it more. We know he has a secure seat for the next few years, but we also know Red Bull are cutthroat and do not give a duck, so he might get swapped. I think Horner doesn't care too much as long as Max is winning and Checo plays second fiddle during crucial moments, but if Ferrari manages to step up next year, RB will need a much better second driver in my opinion.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I know there is a lot of critique regarding DR, but what about Checo? Not to be rude or anything but he literally holds two of the least desired records in F1: most starts before a pole position and most starts before an F1 win.
This year so far, his performance has been very underwhelming in comparison to Max. Considering they drive the same car, he should have done a lot better. Carlos and Charles are a lot closer in performance than Max and Checo, and I am curious as to why people don't talk about it more. We know he has a secure seat for the next few years, but we also know Red Bull are cutthroat and do not give a duck, so he might get swapped. I think Horner doesn't care too much as long as Max is winning and Checo plays second fiddle during crucial moments, but if Ferrari manages to step up next year, RB will need a much better second driver in my opinion.
To be fair Checo was closer to max the start of this season, then max got a new floor and since then no one can get near him. Wait until Checo gets a new floor and then we can judge

Reactions: 7
To be fair Checo was closer to max the start of this season, then max got a new floor and since then no one can get near him. Wait until Checo gets a new floor and then we can judge
But we've seen it for a longer period of time. The mistakes Checo has made in Imola 2021 for example had nothing to do with a difference in materials and everything to do with him not being that great of a driver. We can agree to disagree, but running a different floor alone should not cause as much as a difference as it has for Max and Checo.

Reactions: 5
But we've seen it for a longer period of time. The mistakes Checo has made in Imola 2021 for example had nothing to do with a difference in materials and everything to do with him not being that great of a driver. We can agree to disagree, but running a different floor alone should not cause as much as a difference as it has for Max and Checo.
I was referring to your point that this year Checos performance has been underwhelming compared to Max. I mean it’s the doomed second red bull seat for a reason 😂 Max has won 5 in a row since the new floor though and no driver can get near him anymore so I don’t think it’s all Checo’s fault tbh.

Poor Albon😔 Hope he has a full and speedy recovery. He has being having a good season really hope this doesn’t impact too much of the rest of the season for him.

As for the other thread 8 to this ones 144😂 Nice to have a slower F1 option also. And good for those who were concerned about people to know they haven’t jus disappeared.

Is Mick linked to any other seat then Haas for next year? Someone said a couple of threads back news about Haas would be announced at the Dutch GP. Sorry I’ve missed a lot of the threads since but was it ever said what that news was supposed to be?

View attachment 1574770
😔😔😢

brutal, his 2nd alpine year wasn't terrible at all
I am legitly concerned for Max.
this is heart breaking

Poor Albon😔 Hope he has a full and speedy recovery. He has being having a good season really hope this doesn’t impact too much of the rest of the season for him.

As for the other thread 8 to this ones 144😂 Nice to have a slower F1 option also. And good for those who were concerned about people to know they haven’t jus disappeared.

Is Mick linked to any other seat then Haas for next year? Someone said a couple of threads back news about Haas would be announced at the Dutch GP. Sorry I’ve missed a lot of the threads since but was it ever said what that news was supposed to be?
So as far as what is known about Mick....

Originally he was supposed to be up for a renewal before summer break....
but then seb started us off on silly season seats
Guenther pulled back on the contract renewal and tells him/press over break he HAS to score points to keep the seat
Ferrari drops him from their academy (which many saw as the end of a Haas deal)
so its not looking good
he could be an option at Williams, but i mean first they have to get rid of Latifi and would have to openly pass up their Merc sponsored and much better reserve driver, but at this point, a lot of sources including sky/f1 tv have openly stated he doesn't have a renewal at Haas.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Max doesn't actually have a new floor - Checo does, Max has the old one.

In general the issue this year for Checo is that the RB18 has developed away from him. It was the heaviest car on the grid at the start of the year and was very stable through corners and understeery and while that suited Checo, Max hated it. He wants an oversteery car with a pointy nose and lots of front-end grip so he can get through slow corners quickly. Then as the year went on and the car lost weight and was developed to be more oversteer-prone Max started performing better and Checo started doing worse. The more oversteer you have the less stable the rear end of the car is and the twitchier and less reliable it is through corners. Checo simply can't handle it as well as Max can - he span out in Zandvoort quali because he was trying to brake like Max does. Which, in all fairness, that's not a dig on Checo. Almost no-one on the grid can cope with the amount of oversteer Max wants because he's a freak. Alex, who also likes oversteer, has said that at Red Bull Max made him feel like he was driving a bus. The worst thing was that Red Bull brought a new floor at one point in an attempt to make the rear of the car more stable but it made the RB18 slower. Max used it in Austria, hated it and asked for the old floor spec back immediately and we've seen how that's worked out for him. Checo kept it for longer because at the time Red Bull didn't have the budget to make a spare of the old one, but they're supposedly going to get him the old floor back for Singapore.

Last edited:
I think red bull tried really hard to fill that second seat with someone who would *support* Max
At this point they have won both championships and Checo has the contract he wanted too.
really they lose nothing by checo's performance right now and ultimately having 2 drivers who dont have issues with each other is probably preferable.
Red Bull Juniors as Helmut and Christian have kind of alluded to, are not very interesting prospects right now, thus why they were going after Herta
I think if the championships were closer it would be an issue for sure contract or not

I agree about Perez, I reckon slimey George has got his sights set on the second RB seat.

Reactions: 3
I agree about Perez, I reckon slimey George has got his sights set on the second RB seat.
I don't know about that? George to me seems like a Mercedes lifer. Let's be real, he was brought in to be Lewis' successor. It would be madness for him to leave and risk ending up as Red Bull's no. 2 (which is what he would be, the team has been built around Max since 2018, no-one has a chance of replacing him for several years) when he'll be the Merc no. 1 when Lewis retires if he just waits him out.

Reactions: 11
I don't know about that? George to me seems like a Mercedes lifer. Let's be real, he was brought in to be Lewis' successor. It would be madness for him to leave and risk ending up as Red Bull's no. 2 (which is what he would be, the team has been built around Max since 2018, no-one has a chance of replacing him for several years) when he'll be the Merc no. 1 when Lewis retires if he just waits him out.
I just don’t get the Merc vibe from him….maybe it’s me!

Reactions: 1
I think red bull tried really hard to fill that second seat with someone who would *support* Max
At this point they have won both championships and Checo has the contract he wanted too.
really they lose nothing by checo's performance right now and ultimately having 2 drivers who dont have issues with each other is probably preferable.
Red Bull Juniors as Helmut and Christian have kind of alluded to, are not very interesting prospects right now, thus why they were going after Herta
I think if the championships were closer it would be an issue for sure contract or not
Can Checo go home and Daniel back to red bull for his last hurrah? At least he'll get to win some more races 🥹

Reactions: 3
I just don’t get the Merc vibe from him….maybe it’s me!
He seems very Mercedes to me! Upper-crust-ish, young, tall, conventionally attractive, glamorous, perfect for a luxury car brand. He fits in with Rosberg and Hamilton. I can't at all see him at Red Bull, the company making fizzy drinks for the so-called working-class, racing swamp cars and caravans and Zambonis. Might ruin his fake tan. (Sorry, George, I promise I like you, just ask for Carmen's help next time you get the Cocoa Brown out.)

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.