Food & Drink #5 Sit the feck down, I need to see the fecking bread cart!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@blurstoftimes - that spread looks incredible! You are very talented and I think you should cater for the annual cabal awards 2020 (TBA).

@BeautifulTrauma - pleased the date went well and nobody ended up having a hand inadvertently chopped off by an errant axe!

I looove karaoke, but my mind always goes blank when faced with this huge book of songs. Need to make a master list of good songs to carry on my person at all times 🤣. Last time I did karaoke was on my birthday last year in Moscow, and I did Life by Des'ree and Torn by Natalie Imbruglia.

Had a great morning at Istanbul's flea market, eating spinach and cheese borek (to the person who wanted gozleme pics - I was told they sold them here but I couldn't find them! booo) and got a pretty sweet haul too.

View attachment 206308

View attachment 206311
That all looks nice. What is that grey thing in the middle? I take it you did not sample any Turkish Delights after all? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 10
That all looks nice. What is that grey thing in the middle? I take it you did not sample any Turkish Delights after all? ;)
It's a carved stone tablet with...I guess...Byzantine symbols and figures (I have really terrible knowledge about ancient cultures)? It's really heavy (RIP my baggage allowance). I mean, they probably sell them for a couple of quid in a gift shop somewhere, but I thought it was pretty cool.

DSC_0008.JPG

There was also a stall selling a variety of embroidered clerical stoles... I managed to resist 😳

And no, I didn't go for that Turkish D in the end... 🤣. Think I'll just stick to crisps!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
Ooh, this reminds me of a post from BakingFiction I saw on insta this morning - she's delightful (in a rather plummy MC way) and creates recipes from literary classics. This damson galette looks sooooo good.

Oh I love that account! It’s one where I save her pictures all the time meaning to replicate and never get round to it. My Instagram saves, phone notes, phone pictures and bookshelves are full of things like this 😳

Reactions: 7
Speaking of crisps... it's time - and sadly the final time (I leave tomorrow) - for the Turkish crisp showdown!

View attachment 206387

ROUND 4: Lays baharatli flavour

TASTING NOTES: Honestly, I was initally disappointed to find that, instead of an explosion of baharat spice flavour, these were plain old paprika. Then I googled and it turns out 'baharatli' just means 'spicy' in Turkish and so I've been bamboozled by my own linguistic ignorance and middle class foodie assumptions - serves me right quite frankly. And who DOESN'T love paprika crisps? Sadly lacking in UK supermarkets, they're probably the flavour I most look forward to when I go to Eastern Europe. Savoury, salty, spicy, oily with just a hint of tang and sweetness, paprika crisps are simply bangin.

MOUTHFEEL: I don't know what it is about Lays - despite being the same company as Walkers, Lays are always way better. Perhaps it's the expansive flavour selection, perhaps there are fewer tedious laws about salt and fat content overseas, perhaps it's just cos you're on holiday and everything tastes exciting and new. Anyway, duck those posh crisps that are as thick as cardboard - these are paper thin and shatter delightfully against the teeth, with a pleasant amount of bubbled potato for pockets of seasoning to get trapped and produce little explosions of ecstasy.

AESTHETIC: Finally a crisp that deserves its moniker. Actually made from potato, they simply resemble the humble tuber from whence they came - some managing to maintain their complete form, some crushed into shadows of their former selves. The liberal application of oil and bright orange seasoning mean they shine translucently like a rose copper moon against a sparkling azure sea. These would make an absolutely charming addition to any authentic mezze platter - either pretend you made them yourself with a FANCY mandoline, or impress your guests even more by revealing you smuggled them back from the motherland yourself.

VERDICT: Simply delicious and happy to be leaving Istanbul on a crisp high. I weep for the crisps left untasted but there will surely be more crisp adventures to come. It's a big world out there, with many flavours and tastes and seasonings, but sometimes you can't beat the classics - get a clue UK and embrace paprika. 9/10.
I live in a country where paprika crisps are the go-to flavour and, weirdly, paprika pom bear are just incredible! (Bought them for my toddler, ate most of them myself! 😬)

Absolutely loving these international crisp reviews and living vicariously through you on your amazing travels. As someone already said, i totally imagine you as vilanelle, but with a touch of Jurgen, too. Glorious.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Speaking of crisps... it's time - and sadly the final time (I leave tomorrow) - for the Turkish crisp showdown!

View attachment 206387

ROUND 4: Lays baharatli flavour

TASTING NOTES: Honestly, I was initally disappointed to find that, instead of an explosion of baharat spice flavour, these were plain old paprika. Then I googled and it turns out 'baharatli' just means 'spicy' in Turkish and so I've been bamboozled by my own linguistic ignorance and middle class foodie assumptions - serves me right quite frankly. And who DOESN'T love paprika crisps? Sadly lacking in UK supermarkets, they're probably the flavour I most look forward to when I go to Eastern Europe. Savoury, salty, spicy, oily with just a hint of tang and sweetness, paprika crisps are simply bangin.

MOUTHFEEL: I don't know what it is about Lays - despite being the same company as Walkers, Lays are always way better. Perhaps it's the expansive flavour selection, perhaps there are fewer tedious laws about salt and fat content overseas, perhaps it's just cos you're on holiday and everything tastes exciting and new. Anyway, duck those posh crisps that are as thick as cardboard - these are paper thin and shatter delightfully against the teeth, with a pleasant amount of bubbled potato for pockets of seasoning to get trapped and produce little explosions of ecstasy.

AESTHETIC: Finally a crisp that deserves its moniker. Actually made from potato, they simply resemble the humble tuber from whence they came - some managing to maintain their complete form, some crushed into shadows of their former selves. The liberal application of oil and bright orange seasoning mean they shine translucently like a rose copper moon against a sparkling azure sea. These would make an absolutely charming addition to any authentic mezze platter - either pretend you made them yourself with a FANCY mandoline, or impress your guests even more by revealing you smuggled them back from the motherland yourself.

VERDICT: Simply delicious and happy to be leaving Istanbul on a crisp high. I weep for the crisps left untasted but there will surely be more crisp adventures to come. It's a big world out there, with many flavours and tastes and seasonings, but sometimes you can't beat the classics - get a clue UK and embrace paprika. 9/10.
I agree re the paprika flavour, second best (after the humble salt and vinegar imo) I don’t know where you live but if you have a Turkish owned corner shop nearby they should sell them (mine does, albeit I rarely buy them as I cannot stop myself 😂)

It's a carved stone tablet with...I guess...Byzantine symbols and figures (I have really terrible knowledge about ancient cultures)? It's really heavy (RIP my baggage allowance). I mean, they probably sell them for a couple of quid in a gift shop somewhere, but I thought it was pretty cool.

View attachment 206439

There was also a stall selling a variety of embroidered clerical stoles... I managed to resist 😳

And no, I didn't go for that Turkish D in the end... 🤣. Think I'll just stick to crisps!
Let down for your tattle audience 😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 15

View attachment 206439

Anytime I see the word Byzantine it just makes me think of Peep show where Mark tries to push April's husband over the edge 😂

• Haha

View attachment 206439

joking aside mate, the Turkish customs can be really anal if the Unless it’s an obvious fake (with, say, “Made in China” on the bottom), you may still be arrested for violating antiquities law when you leave the country because the customs officer spot-checking your bags may not be able to tell a fake from the real thing, either.y think it is old.

• Wow
I went to Wagamama for a late lunch and I'm now beyond stuffed. Far too much food for this kind of heat. Roll me home, please.

Agree with all the earlier sour crisp comments!

ETA @spirals I got to your post before it was taken down and just wanted to say I'm glad you saw everyone's messages yesterday. Hope things are a bit better, but do always have a vent here if you need it ❤

Last edited:
Very here for all the karaoke chat! I've never done it but I want to.
How long have you been married @Pocahontas ? Might be time to consider an anniversary redo of that picture:LOL:

@Boredofthegram I would def Kiki your Elton.

@crystaleyesd Lays piss all over Walkers don't they! Walkers are dead to me tbh.

@spirals I hope you are as ok as can be, living with someone who will turn on you at will is very stressful and incredibly lonely<3

Making Ingen Goma-ae for the second day in a row today

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
I have done karaoke a few times but it was so long ago (and I was so pissed) that I can't even remember what I sang :LOL:

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
Thanks for the heads up. It does not say Made in China on it and the reason I bought it was because it didn't look obviously fake. It was incredibly cheap though, but yeah, that doesn't mean much to a customs officer. They have the same law (but it's anything older than 50 years!) in Uzbekistan where I was last summer; I stumbled across a carpet seller going out of business and bought a few of his gorgeous carpets for dirt cheap. I crossed the border into Tajikistan on foot with the carpets hidden in a big bag, heart pounding as I walked up to the big gates with all the scary guards - you do NOT want to end up in an Uzbek jail. I don't *think* the carpets were that old, but you never know. Anyway, they didn't check my bag and I got away with it... but perhaps this one ain't worth the risk 😬

• Wow
I would definitely recommend axe throwing to anyone who has a team night out/wants to do something different with their partner or friends.

Because of social distancing, we had the whole place to ourselves and the guy was very chatty, giving us a full rundown on how to grip and throw it best - it was good to learn. Took us both about 10/15 minutes to learn it enough to play games and I won - I was ‘Tosser of the Week’ 😂. He even said he’s had stag parties in and they all brought pictures of their Mum to stick on the targets. For a first date place it was so much fun rather than just sitting in a pub, which we did after because we had built up that rapport and had a great laugh! Anyone, and I mean anyone who goes through the whole of Reputation by Taylor Swift and challenges me on my favourites is a good ‘un. Forgot how much fun first dates were until last night!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 31
I would definitely recommend axe throwing to anyone who has a team night out/wants to do something different with their partner or friends.

Because of social distancing, we had the whole place to ourselves and the guy was very chatty, giving us a full rundown on how to grip and throw it best - it was good to learn. Took us both about 10/15 minutes to learn it enough to play games and I won - I was ‘Tosser of the Week’ 😂. He even said he’s had stag parties in and they all brought pictures of their Mum to stick on the targets. For a first date place it was so much fun rather than just sitting in a pub, which we did after because we had built up that rapport and had a great laugh! Anyone, and I mean anyone who goes through the whole of Reputation by Taylor Swift and challenges me on my favourites is a good ‘un. Forgot how much fun first dates were until last night!
Axe throwing sounds fab — I really want to give it a try now!

What are your favourites off Reputation, out of interest?

• Haha
Thanks for the heads up. It does not say Made in China on it and the reason I bought it was because it didn't look obviously fake. It was incredibly cheap though, but yeah, that doesn't mean much to a customs officer. They have the same law (but it's anything older than 50 years!) in Uzbekistan where I was last summer; I stumbled across a carpet seller going out of business and bought a few of his gorgeous carpets for dirt cheap. I crossed the border into Tajikistan on foot with the carpets hidden in a big bag, heart pounding as I walked up to the big gates with all the scary guards - you do NOT want to end up in an Uzbek jail. I don't *think* the carpets were that old, but you never know. Anyway, they didn't check my bag and I got away with it... but perhaps this one ain't worth the risk 😬
Sorry! I do not want to sound like a paranoid fool. I have been to Turkey many times, and let me put it this way the customs guys weren't always the most competent. They may not care or have a bad day. It is really beautiful and does not look like a fake.

Reactions: 13
Popping in to say hello! It’s my SB’s birthday today, sweating to bits assembling gaming chair, phew. Popped out to supermarket for bits and pieces and THE hottest guy just walked past the car. I don’t mean temperature, but looks. I’m likely old enough to be his mother, I felt the cabal would appreciate this news x

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
Popping in to say hello! It’s my SB’s birthday today, sweating to bits assembling gaming chair, phew. Popped out to supermarket for bits and pieces and THE hottest guy just walked past the car. I don’t mean temperature, but looks. I’m likely old enough to be his mother, I felt the cabal would appreciate this news x
Did he look more like an elf or a priest? Just trying to picture where he falls on the cabal crush spectrum.

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Axe throwing sounds fab — I really want to give it a try now!

What are your favourites off Reputation, out of interest?
My favourites are always the late album filler that everyone else thinks is meh! I love Ready For It, So It Goes, Dress and Getaway Car. I like them all, oh and Call It What You Want. A fellow Taylor fan in my midst?!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.