Food & Drink #5 Sit the feck down, I need to see the fecking bread cart!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love karaoke. My favourite performance of mine (the best of a bad bunch really) was an interesting rendition of Evanescence’s Bring Me To Life, with a random man providing the shouty vocals.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
I wish I could keep up with this lovely thread, but I thought I'd pop in to see if @heretoreaditall2019 has had the bebe*, and you have! Congratulations, wonderful news.

I made a delicious dinner last night, called vincisgrassi, which is basically a ham and mushroom lasagne, highly recommend.

*Apologies, Schitts Creek reference!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
I haven’t fully caught up but Omg @heretoreaditall2019 congratulations!! What wonderful news

catering job went very well (I think - they all seemed happy but were quite pissed by the time I left 😂) but I of coursedidn’t get the chance to take any decent pics! Managed to get one of the paloma cocktails, the starter dips (guac and sikil pal with tortilla chips and fridge cold crudités because it was SOO hot) the accoutrements and a crap dark shot of the table. 3 hours from start to finish because I decided to make the tortillas fresh- slight mistake!

now relaxing in my mum’s lovely sunny garden with an iced coffee and fruit danish and feeling very content! not even a Jack Monroe bowl of skip could bring my mood down
That looks incredible - well done!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I haven’t fully caught up but Omg @heretoreaditall2019 congratulations!! What wonderful news

catering job went very well (I think - they all seemed happy but were quite pissed by the time I left 😂) but I of coursedidn’t get the chance to take any decent pics! Managed to get one of the paloma cocktails, the starter dips (guac and sikil pal with tortilla chips and fridge cold crudités because it was SOO hot) the accoutrements and a crap dark shot of the table. 3 hours from start to finish because I decided to make the tortillas fresh- slight mistake!

now relaxing in my mum’s lovely sunny garden with an iced coffee and fruit danish and feeling very content! not even a Jack Monroe bowl of skip could bring my mood down
How was the press? Do they work?!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Glad the Eaglet has hatched safely :) Also very glad that the report in the Daily Mail of a new arrival to someone in the public eye made heavy mention of it being a home birth, otherwise we might have triangulated Eddie as George Galloway!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
@heretoreaditall2019 Congratulations! I’m so pleased for you.

So the date went very well, I enjoyed myself. I’m an amazing axe thrower and she’s very funny and makes me laugh. Date 2 will be on the cards very soon when we both can find time! Thank you all for the well wishes and thinking of me😊

• Heart
Reactions: 47
My favourite karaoke songs are Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now because I have a creepily similar vocal range to Morrissey (must be cursed) and Wuthering Heights because I like to do the dance. After doing WH once I had a woman come up to me, grasp both my hands, and earnestly tell me it was "the best thing she'd ever heard". She had evidently been mesmerised by the dancing because I was just wailing in tuneless falsetto for most of it.

Any time I would be at karaoke I would sing ‘The Sun Ain’t Gonna Shine Anymore’ (let’s get this party STARTED 😳). I don’t know why but I just love that song, and still belt it out when I’m WFH and have music on.

One of the many reasons why I stopped drinking 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
@blurstoftimes - that spread looks incredible! You are very talented and I think you should cater for the annual cabal awards 2020 (TBA).

@BeautifulTrauma - pleased the date went well and nobody ended up having a hand inadvertently chopped off by an errant axe!

I looove karaoke, but my mind always goes blank when faced with this huge book of songs. Need to make a master list of good songs to carry on my person at all times 🤣. Last time I did karaoke was on my birthday last year in Moscow, and I did Life by Des'ree and Torn by Natalie Imbruglia.

Had a great morning at Istanbul's flea market, eating spinach and cheese borek (to the person who wanted gozleme pics - I was told they sold them here but I couldn't find them! booo) and got a pretty sweet haul too.

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

• Heart
Reactions: 30
Not strictly karaoke, but years ago there used to be a Playstation game thing called Singstar (or something similar). After an evening at the pub a big group of us used to end up at someone's house playing this game. It was kind of karaoke in as much as you had to sing along into a microphone to a song and aim to hit the right notes at the right time. The night usually used to end with us all singing Billy Joel's Just the Way You Are to each other in a big group. Good times.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
20200809_144427.jpg

It's too hot to go outside so I'm trying to keep all the animals cool indoors. Lovely lemon ice lollies freezing too.
I'm quite astonished at some of the unnecessary and unkind speculation going on....🤨

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
Speaking of crisps... it's time - and sadly the final time (I leave tomorrow) - for the Turkish crisp showdown!

DSC_0006.JPG

ROUND 4: Lays baharatli flavour

TASTING NOTES: Honestly, I was initally disappointed to find that, instead of an explosion of baharat spice flavour, these were plain old paprika. Then I googled and it turns out 'baharatli' just means 'spicy' in Turkish and so I've been bamboozled by my own linguistic ignorance and middle class foodie assumptions - serves me right quite frankly. And who DOESN'T love paprika crisps? Sadly lacking in UK supermarkets, they're probably the flavour I most look forward to when I go to Eastern Europe. Savoury, salty, spicy, oily with just a hint of tang and sweetness, paprika crisps are simply bangin.

MOUTHFEEL: I don't know what it is about Lays - despite being the same company as Walkers, Lays are always way better. Perhaps it's the expansive flavour selection, perhaps there are fewer tedious laws about salt and fat content overseas, perhaps it's just cos you're on holiday and everything tastes exciting and new. Anyway, duck those posh crisps that are as thick as cardboard - these are paper thin and shatter delightfully against the teeth, with a pleasant amount of bubbled potato for pockets of seasoning to get trapped and produce little explosions of ecstasy.

AESTHETIC: Finally a crisp that deserves its moniker. Actually made from potato, they simply resemble the humble tuber from whence they came - some managing to maintain their complete form, some crushed into shadows of their former selves. The liberal application of oil and bright orange seasoning mean they shine translucently like a rose copper moon against a sparkling azure sea. These would make an absolutely charming addition to any authentic mezze platter - either pretend you made them yourself with a FANCY mandoline, or impress your guests even more by revealing you smuggled them back from the motherland yourself.

VERDICT: Simply delicious and happy to be leaving Istanbul on a crisp high. I weep for the crisps left untasted but there will surely be more crisp adventures to come. It's a big world out there, with many flavours and tastes and seasonings, but sometimes you can't beat the classics - get a clue UK and embrace paprika. 9/10.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 42
I amm grunka-ing biiig time here!

Congratulations @heretoreaditall2019 , what lovely news that genuinely brightened up my day! Hope you're having a wonderful first few days with your little eaglet and you got your seafood! I do think 'Eddie and the Eaglets' would be a fab band name if you ever wanna be like the Nolans or Corrs or whatever 😂

Sending you lots of love @spirals xxxx

@BeautifulTrauma I'm so glad your first date went well after all this time messaging. How was the axe throwing?

@blurstoftimes that food looks to die for. Glad it went so well!

@crystaleyesd I will never not be vicariously living through your pics. Those flea market finds are gorgeous!

@Flumps I made your carrot cake yesterday and it went down a storm! Honestly this cabal has boosted my confidence with cooking so much. I've always been fairly competent but seeing the diverse range of food on here and has broadened my culinary mindset and encouraged me to try new things.

Me and my partner went on a walk yesterday in the local area and have managed to forage a few Kg of victoria plumbs, damsons and sloe berries! So we're going to be making lots of gins, crumbles and so forth which I am excited about.

Also agree about the crisps. Left a very sour taste in my mouth. Don't like the tone of the thread atm much at all.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
@BeautifulTrauma lovely news about your date, it’s always lovely to hear about new beginnings, babies, dates, new crisp flavours (@crystaleyesd ). I feel like Vlad would approve of axe throwing, a nice hearty pursuit! 🥰

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Me and my partner went on a walk yesterday in the local area and have managed to forage a few Kg of victoria plumbs, damsons and sloe berries! So we're going to be making lots of gins, crumbles and so forth which I am excited about.
Ooh, this reminds me of a post from BakingFiction I saw on insta this morning - she's delightful (in a rather plummy MC way) and creates recipes from literary classics. This damson galette looks sooooo good.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.