Food & Drink #4 Any herb will do

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love Walker plain crisps, dunno if one can still get them. I also only have a dollop of mayo and ketchup over my chips.

@Toffee finger I am really so sorry for your loss. Words fail me to write more, I am sorry.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Cake? yes please, providing its gluten free and has nothing whatsoever to do with coconut or almond because :sick: and not the rich dark fruit cakes...
On another topic, can menopause make your hair 'literally' curl. Im knee deep in menopause and suddenly my hairline is super tight curls. :rolleyes: the rest seems to be straight. I'd be happy if it was all curly though. Honestly, as if melting flushes and mood swings are not enough. I am waiting to speak to a womens clinic doctor,I shall ask them this question too, after I have pleaded for HRT.
Sorry. I know nothing about hair, as evidenced by the state of my own.

These are amazing gluten free brownies though https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/3yn2PTXYk5Td4ZGmHqBRP2d/chocolate-brownies and they have no coconut or almond anywhere near them, just a bit of rice flour, which adds an entirely pleasant texture to them. I probably make them more often than I make normal brownies. They are v grown up. They might help soothe the hair trauma a tiny bit. x

Anyone seen that meme on Twitter asking which of bread, potatoes, pasta or rice you'd get rid of if you had too? My choice is strangely, potatoes. I like roasties, chips and mash but I don't LOVE any of them like I love a really good bread or rice paired with an amazing curry.
Babe, same. I love bread and rice. Potatoes are great in some forms, but I would drop them like, um, a hot potato, well before rice and bread.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Anyone seen that meme on Twitter asking which of bread, potatoes, pasta or rice you'd get rid of if you had too? My choice is strangely, potatoes. I like roasties, chips and mash but I don't LOVE any of them like I love a really good bread or rice paired with an amazing curry.
I find these questions *so hard*. My kneejerk reaction would also be potatoes but then I think about chips and crisps and Nigella's salt and vinegar crispy crushed new potatoes, and baked potatoes, and even gnocchi. The potato is so versatile! Having said that I think it would be impossible for me to live without either pasta or rice, one of which I eat most days. God, imagine no more risotto! I think the only thing I can definitely say is that I couldn't do without pasta.
ETA OMG I didn't even read it properly, I have to choose between bread too??? Nooooooo.

I've just made a phone call to virgin media and got my bill down from £54 monthly to £39 monthly, I'm so relieved, it's a phone call I've been putting off for ages and I thought it would be really complicated but it was done so quickly and I'm keeping all my services as they are. Just shows what a swizz these price hikes are tbh!

• Heart
Reactions: 19
@Toffee finger I am so, so sorry or your loss xx

@Nottonightbabe arggghh pickled spicy shallots! I want those right now!

Lunch here was some homemade hummus and leftover caponata on toast. Now picking at a bowl of toasted pumpkin seeds trying to stay awake while going through my inbox and catching up on four month's worth of emails. SO BORING.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
How many of you order curry sauce when you go to the chip shop?
I’m from the south and it’s not a thing here really. I like a splodge of ketchup on the side and lots of salt and vinegar. LOVE tartare sauce to dip chips in and on the fish. Don’t do brown sauce on anything. I went to Yorkshire a few years ago with my friend from there to visit her hone town. It was a Friday and as we drove through the towns and villages, we saw long queues outside every fish shop (It was teatime). We stopped to get some at her family’s favourite chippy and waited about 20 minutes (some of that outside in the rain) but it was worth the wait. Flippin’ delicious they were. This sign up on the shop made me laugh though...

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: 11
@Toffee finger - really sorry to hear your news. Thinking of you and the cabal are here!

@heretoreaditall2019 - thinking of you too and hope your last days of pregnancy aren't too stressful!

As for me, I have made it to Istanbul. A frau a while back recommended a Turkish food website (this one - https://ozlemsturkishtable.com/) and I've been excitedly planning some recipes - I have an apartment with a kitchen so I will (yes) absolutely (x) be pulling a Jackie and cooking up a storm. Today's bounty:

DSC_0125.JPG

I also ate a pide so good it almost rivalled neapolitan pizza:

DSC_0121.JPG

And just for you fraus, I'm going to be trying some rando Turkish crisps I find in the store. Today's pick:

DSC_0126.JPG

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 39
@Toffee finger - really sorry to hear your news. Thinking of you and the cabal are here!

@heretoreaditall2019 - thinking of you too and hope your last days of pregnancy aren't too stressful!

As for me, I have made it to Istanbul. A frau a while back recommended a Turkish food website (this one - https://ozlemsturkishtable.com/) and I've been excitedly planning some recipes - I have an apartment with a kitchen so I will (yes) absolutely (x) be pulling a Jackie and cooking up a storm. Today's bounty:

View attachment 201569

View attachment 201574

And just for you fraus, I'm going to be trying some rando Turkish crisps I find in the store. Today's pick:

View attachment 201583
Wow, amazing food but also WHAT A VIEW!!

• Heart
Reactions: 12

View attachment 201569

View attachment 201574

View attachment 201583
Amazing view.

And is that baklava in the box? Mmmmmm...mmmmmm....mmmmmmmmmmm

Reactions: 8
Thank you all for your lovely kind words. My nan is currently on the phone so I’ve popped out to feed their tortoise, though Tommy is more keen on my toes at the moment! My grandad was Tommy’s favourite person (they bought him 50 years ago!) and he hasn’t eaten properly all week, animals always seem to know when something is wrong don’t they?!

05A984C1-ED42-4473-8F48-20A33B6B3651.jpeg

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 41
I forgot about the humble gnocchi @Veronicaaa. That does give me pause but my choice still stands! If anyone is ever in Margate or lives thereabouts, Bottega Caruso is an incredible Italian place that does lovely gnocchi.
Eta: that's amazing but heartbreaking about the tortoise @Toffee finger . My uncle died recently and his dog stayed with him for ages until he was safely found.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Wow, amazing food but also WHAT A VIEW!!
You have to climb some almost vertical streets to get there and it's in a pretty grim concrete building but your reward is this bleeping PANORAMA of the golden horn and you can clamber out of the window onto the roof. I bought a pack of ciggies for the first time in years just so i could smoke at night.

Do you fraus know the cook and food writer Caroline Eden? Her article on smoking and Istanbul was basically the reason I came here (https://psyche.co/ideas/cigarette-exquisite-fiend-ephemeral-friend-how-i-miss-you) but her books on the Black Sea and central Asia are stunning and beautifully written.

• Heart
Reactions: 23

View attachment 201569

View attachment 201574

View attachment 201583
Omg I am so jealous I've always wanted to go to Istanbul - I eagerly await more updates! Can you please go find somewhere to eat gozleme and take pics so I can live vicariously through you?

• Heart
Omg I am so jealous I've always wanted to go to Istanbul - I eagerly await more updates! Can you please go find somewhere to eat gozleme and take pics so I can live vicariously through you?
Challenge accepted. And any fraus that live in London and don't know the Pitted Olive cafe in Bloomsbury, their Turkish food is THE tit.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I'm firmly on TEAM POTATO in the carbohydrate wars.

As a child my favourite meals were:

1) Anything with ROAST POTATOES
2) JACKET POTATOES
3) Corned beef hash (my grandma always used to use butter to make the potato go super crispy)
4) Fish and CHIPS (I would eat all the batter off the fish first and used to call it "biscuit" for no apparent reason).

I bloody love potatoes. Boil em, mash em, stick em in a stew etc etc...

@Toffee finger Tommy looks like a dear thing, I hope he gets his appetite back very soon.

@crystaleyesd I'm super jealous, looks amazing, food looks delicious, your view beats mine (it's raining and my window looks out onto the bins). Your life seems so glamorous :)

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 20
Anyone seen that meme on Twitter asking which of bread, potatoes, pasta or rice you'd get rid of if you had too?

Would these not make suitable working titles to pitch for the Hollywood life story timeline over four films? "Miss Monroe, I have Mr. Scorsese on line 3."

1 : It's Jollof Rice all over again.

2 : The Lasagne Years

3 : Sour Dough Puppies

4 : Potatoes

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I'd dump pasta. I think it's the least versatile? I've also been turned off by 10 years of the same conversation with EFL students:

me: What's your favourite food?
student: Pasta.
me: What kind of pasta?
student: Normal pasta.
me: OK, but pasta with what?
student: Oh, meat, vegetables...pasta.

This happens more than you would imagine, including with very high level students... 🤦🏼‍♀️

• Haha
  • Wow
Would these not make suitable working titles to pitch for the Hollywood life story timeline over four films? "Miss Monroe, I have Mr. Scorsese on line 3."

1 : It's Jollof Rice all over again.

2 : The Lasagne Years

3 : Sour Dough Puppies

4 : Potatoes
Sour Dough Puppies!

• Haha
Reactions: 6

View attachment 201569

View attachment 201574

View attachment 201583
Mate, you are a secret service agent ;-) ETA Have a lovely time there!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.