Food & Drink #4 Any herb will do

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Red velvet is very similar to rainbow cake imo. Style over substance and pretty tasteless.

Give me a coffee and walnut or lemon drizzle any day 🤤

I can take or leave biscoff. Like the biscuits but not a fan of the spread, too claggy.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Thanks guys for all the love. He sadly passed away early this morning. My dad is with my nan, I can’t go over until my hire car is collected at some point this morning. So I’m drinking tea and trying to distract myself till I can see them. It’s tit. He hadn’t been well for a little while so I know for him this is what he wanted and is comfortable now but I can’t imagine my Nan without him!

I could really eat some Hummingbird cake right now.
Biscoff I like but not sure where this obsession for it came from!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 45
Thanks guys for all the love. He sadly passed away early this morning. My dad is with my nan, I can’t go over until my hire car is collected at some point this morning. So I’m drinking tea and trying to distract myself till I can see them. It’s tit. He hadn’t been well for a little while so I know for him this is what he wanted and is comfortable now but I can’t imagine my Nan without him!

So sorry for your loss, my thoughts are with you and your family ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 9

Sorry for your loss Hun ❤ It's good that we are further out of lockdown now and your nan can have people with her xx

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Red velvet is very similar to rainbow cake imo. Style over substance and pretty tasteless.

Give me a coffee and walnut or lemon drizzle any day 🤤

I can take or leave biscoff. Like the biscuits but not a fan of the spread, too claggy.
Coffee and lemon are both my faves too!!! I agree rainbow is style over substance but my daughter (now 9) had loved them and the graduated colour ones I’ve made for her over the years

Reactions: 8
Oh, I'm so sorry @Toffee finger, much love to you and your family.

I had a wee break from the threads for most of yesterday as some of the posts, which you've already mentioned, were bothering me.

It's been pouring with rain all morning here and whenever it's like that, it induces much confusion in my dog. He wants to go out for his walk but hates the rain, so he just mopes around looking miserable, staring out the window, trying to weigh up his many conflicting emotions.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
It’s my first post in this topic, hello sad hausfraus!

I actually come to you all older (and definitely a lot more wiser) fraus for advice.

I have a first date at the weekend! Part of me is super excited to finally meet this person I’ve been talking to constantly every day for four months and the other part is hoping rona hits for another wave by Saturday so I can bottle it.
The last date I had was a resounding success and ended in a great relationship that very sadly ended, however the first one was OJ in Starbucks followed by her bribing me to like her with a box of six creme eggs!

This time though, we are doing an activity, and I have no idea if we are going out before or after or what the plan is. I kind of need to be....not myself 😂 As myself is very awkward and always says the wrong thing at the wrong time. The outfit is in control and selected, I would ask JM but she would probably tell me to whip an engagement ring out by the end of the activity and do a six point ‘is she rich’ check!

So any people who are dating at the moment, what is your best first date advice to give?

• Heart
Reactions: 24
The texture of red velvet is always a bit weird too, why wouldn’t you just get choc cake? That cherry choc cake that masquerades as pure choc is bleeping awful too, when you’re really excited to be eating choc and have a bit of that 🤮

Back to hospital for my pre op tests but most excitingly it’s early enough in the day my feet fit into my new birkenstocks 😂 later in the day they’ve got no chance it’d be like cheese grating a sausage (very Jckie x)

It’s my first post in this topic, hello sad hausfraus!

I actually come to you all older (and definitely a lot more wiser) fraus for advice.

I have a first date at the weekend! Part of me is super excited to finally meet this person I’ve been talking to constantly every day for four months and the other part is hoping rona hits for another wave by Saturday so I can bottle it.
The last date I had was a resounding success and ended in a great relationship that very sadly ended, however the first one was OJ in Starbucks followed by her bribing me to like her with a box of six creme eggs!

This time though, we are doing an activity, and I have no idea if we are going out before or after or what the plan is. I kind of need to be....not myself 😂 As myself is very awkward and always says the wrong thing at the wrong time. The outfit is in control and selected, I would ask JM but she would probably tell me to whip an engagement ring out by the end of the activity and do a six point ‘is she rich’ check!

So any people who are dating at the moment, what is your best first date advice to give?
omg this is so cute and exciting, can you give us a report back please I love love!! And don’t be silly 100% be yourself you’re clearly fab and she’ll know that! What activity are you doing? Sorry to post twice so quickly guys x

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Oh, I'm so sorry @Toffee finger, much love to you and your family.

I had a wee break from the threads for most of yesterday as some of the posts, which you've already mentioned, were bothering me.

It's been pouring with rain all morning here and whenever it's like that, it induces much confusion in my dog. He wants to go out for his walk but hates the rain, so he just mopes around looking miserable, staring out the window, trying to weigh up his many conflicting feelings.
@Veronicaaa i think we are in the same neck of the woods, I took my dog out this morning and we are both still soaking, he’s lying on “his” beanbag in a huff now!🤣

@Toffee finger so sorry to hear about your Grandpa, hope you can see your Gran soon for a hug ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 10
It's been pouring with rain all morning here and whenever it's like that, it induces much confusion in my dog. He wants to go out for his walk but hates the rain, so he just mopes around looking miserable, staring out the window, trying to weigh up his many conflicting feelings.
Oh, @Veronicaaa, every post you make about your dog makes me a little bit more in love with him.

@LavaFlake no bother at all. Here you go. Recipe for an 8" round cake tin.

150g self raising flour
150g plain flour
1 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 tsp bicarb of soda
175ml vegetable oil
200g soft light brown sugar (muscovado is best but normal light brown sugar is also fine)
4 eggs
100ml golden syrup
450g grated carrot
75g chopped walnuts or pecans (I prefer pecans, but you can make your own choices)

Preheat oven to 170c (GM 3). Grease your tin.

Sift flour, spices and bicarb into a large bowl and make a well in the centre.

In another bowl, whisk together oil, sugar, eggs and golden syrup.

Add wet ingredients to dry and mix together (just with a wooden spoon is fine) until combined. Stir in the carrots and chopped nuts. (Note here: sometimes I also add a handful or so of raisins, which I've soaked for a while in hot water to plump them up, because I have a lot of people who like raisins to cater for).

Spoon/pour mix into tin. Bake for 1hr 35mins, a skewer in the centre should come out clean. I would check after 45/50 mins as it has quite a high sugar content so the top can catch. If it looks v brown when you check it, then a bit of tin foil over the top of the tin will stop it going any further.

Once it's cooked. Leave in the tin for 10-15 mins until it's cooled a little, then cool completely on a wire rack (ideally a wire rack, but let's not get too hung up on that).

I split the finished cake and fill and top with either lemon buttercream, or cream cheese icing (recipe here, but I would sub a couple of tbsps of lemon juice for the vanilla: https://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/best-ever-cream-cheese-frosting/). Either way, I like them very lemony.

If you do the cream cheese one, then it will need to be kept in the fridge before eating.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
@Veronicaaa i think we are in the same neck of the woods, I took my dog out this morning and we are both still soaking, he’s lying on “his” beanbag in a huff now!🤣
It's going to be one of those days where it just ... doesn't stop raining, isn't it? We're going to have to bite the bullet soon and head out regardless. I really need to get him a raincoat, I should have done it ages ago, I also imagine he'll look incredibly handsome in one!

I've never made a carrot cake, I always thought they'd be too complicated, although one of my pals swears by THAT MAN'S recipe, and her's always taste amazing. I'm a very basic witch when it comes to baking, I either do a lemon drizzle or this one, which is so easy and has never let me down (I use frozen rasps for it, and add extra almond extract to make it all goo-ey and frangipaney. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/raspberry-bakewell-cake

• Heart
Reactions: 11

SO sorry to hear ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.