Food & Drink #4 Any herb will do

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
These look great. May I ask which recipe you used? I made my first ever pickled shallots and onions November last year so they would be ready for Christmas. My recipe didn’t ask for any sugar and as a novice, I went ahead and was very pleased with my efforts and looking forward to Boxing Day buffet with a few pickled shallots on the side. They were, to put it mildly, very strong, in fact, my father in law said very loudly STREUTH!🤪😣🤯 After his first one! I’ve since added a few spoonfuls of sugar to each jar and they have calmed down a bit but they are now 7 months mature. By the time this Christmas comes around they are going to be corkers!! 😂
I do my own method, based on trial and error really:
Salt the shallots or onions (liberally) overnight, next day drain and rinse.

Heat malt vinegar slowly in a pan with chosen spices, then add brown sugar to taste, and I do taste the vinegar until I think it's balanced enough.

Let vinegar cool to at least lukewarm, if onions go in with hot vinegar they will start softening.

Pop vinegar and onions in sterilised jars, I usually add bay leaves too and sometimes pick one jar to have some hot chillies added 😋

They come out really crunchy using this method. I too in the past have made the no sugar error 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 7
By the way, one thing I discovered when I moved up here that I don't think they do much further south (it's an Orcadian speciality) is the pattie supper. Mince, tatties and onions mixed together, rolled into balls, dipped in batter, deep-fried and served with chips. Carbohydrate heaven!
Ooh those sound yum! Different I know, but made me think of these, not made them for ages, must rectify that. I add a few peas to the potato mix for little pops of freshness.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Thanks guys for all the love. He sadly passed away early this morning. My dad is with my nan, I can’t go over until my hire car is collected at some point this morning. So I’m drinking tea and trying to distract myself till I can see them. It’s tit. He hadn’t been well for a little while so I know for him this is what he wanted and is comfortable now but I can’t imagine my Nan without him!

I could really eat some Hummingbird cake right now.
Biscoff I like but not sure where this obsession for it came from!
I totally missed this post this morning! Sending love ❤

Ever since visiting my friend who went to uni in Wakefield, I love chips and gravy! But also after being slathered in salt and vinegar
Love gravy & chips but vinegar always goes on after the gravy 🤤

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
After careful deliberation, I think I'd ditch rice. I couldn't go without a good jacket spud, dauphinoise, minted buttered new potatoes...
Couldn't go without spaghetti, love the stuff. And no pasta would mean no puttanesca (the horror!), no rich ragus, no carbonara...
And bread would mean no fresh baguettes, flatbreads, tortillas - so no more fajitas! And no more pan con tomate! 😱

Has to be rice.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
After careful deliberation, I think I'd ditch rice. I couldn't go without a good jacket spud, dauphinoise, minted buttered new potatoes...
Couldn't go without spaghetti, love the stuff. And no pasta would mean no puttanesca (the horror!), no rich ragus, no carbonara...
And bread would mean no fresh baguettes, flatbreads, tortillas - so no more fajitas! And no more pan con tomate! 😱

Has to be rice.
Oooh I love fajitas

Yep I’d ditch the rice if I absolutely had to.
Il have my curry with a lovely soft naan instead.

Reactions: 12
Looks amaze, what is the filling??
I didn't make the ones in the pic - I am potentially triangulating myself here because I am very vocal about the fact that this place is the best place to eat and drink in the whole of Brighton!

But I think the ones pictures are the crispy cauliflower and the mushroom tacos. The pulled goat tacos are absolutely to die for.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 10
This pasta, bread, rice, potatoes thing is tricky as this frau has recently been told by her doctor to stop eating sugar and processed carbs due to having had fairly high blood sugar levels (pre-diabetes) for the past few months. I have a family history of diabetes and I bloody love carbs and sugar! If I had to get rid of one of those delicious carbs, it would have to be rice. Although, I actually do have to ditch most of them in reality. 😥

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
SIT THE duck DOWN, I NEED TO SEE THE bleeping BREAD CART.
I know posting just to say ‘I LOLed hard at this’ is essentially pointless, but I did LOL, and hard.

On that note, does anyone else say in a dry, droll voice ‘Lol’ when something is funny but you haven’t the energy to laugh? Also when I say it, it then makes me laugh. Just me?

SURELY next thread title
Haha YES!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
Bread makes me bloat up and look like I've swallowed a beach ball, so in theory it should be a fairly easy choice, but if giving up bread would mean losing pizza, then I might give up pasta instead, because I'd miss pizza more than lasagne. The potatoes would not be going anywhere!!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
i'm not fussed by pizza, at all. I'd have to be really craving it. Though I went to Italy years ago and a little place we went to did beautiful pizzas. We went out in the sleet, on a hangover, got them freshly made then went home and got back under a blanket and watched crap on telly. I like the hungover days better than the nights before 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I'm gonna have to ditch the rice I think! Tough decision and I've been mulling it over during conf calls but I think losing rice would break my heart a little less than bread or pasta. Pasta nearly went but then I remembered lasagne, and I live opposite an incredible little independent Italian restaurant (triangulate me!) and I am basically addicted to their carbonara. Biggest decision I've had to make today!

Potatoes and bread never even entered the equation, couldn't give up either.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
i'm not fussed by pizza, at all. I'd have to be really craving it. Though I went to Italy years ago and a little place we went to did beautiful pizzas. We went out in the sleet, on a hangover, got them freshly made then went home and got back under a blanket and watched crap on telly. I like the hungover days better than the nights before 🥰
Triangulating myself here because this opinion is so rare but I hate cheese. If we order from Pizza Hut (because I somehow managed to create a family of cheese lovers) I have a no cheese pepperoni pizza. So pizza is pretty much wasted on me.

• Wow
Reactions: 14
I do my own method, based on trial and error really:
Salt the shallots or onions (liberally) overnight, next day drain and rinse.

Heat malt vinegar slowly in a pan with chosen spices, then add brown sugar to taste, and I do taste the vinegar until I think it's balanced enough.

Let vinegar cool to at least lukewarm, if onions go in with hot vinegar they will start softening.

Pop vinegar and onions in sterilised jars, I usually add bay leaves too and sometimes pick one jar to have some hot chillies added 😋

They come out really crunchy using this method. I too in the past have made the no sugar error 😂
Thankyou. I’ll definitely be adding brown sugar to any future batches. I really enjoyed the process of the blanching, peeling salting etc. Caught up on a few tv programmes and podcasts whilst doing it, great to do when the nights start drawing in :)

Reactions: 6
Triangulating myself here because this opinion is so rare but I hate cheese. If we order from Pizza Hut (because I somehow managed to create a family of cheese lovers) I have a no cheese pepperoni pizza. So pizza is pretty much wasted on me.
I used to hate cheese too. Im still not great with it tbf. Cant cope with the smelly ones, and it needs to be melted 🙃

• Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.