Food & Drink #4 Any herb will do

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love that pasta too! I find the shape and texture so satisfying. I never shop at Morissons but Tesco sell this one:

View attachment 203489

My sisters boyfriend said it was like old school telephone cables though 🤣

My favourite long pasta is also linguine or I also like spaghettini - super thin spaghetti. My favorite pasta recipe to make ever thats so quick and easy is king prawn and cherry tomato linguini 😍

I'm pleased to announce no breakfast mishaps today Fraus, had an egg and cheese bagel was gooood
Morrisons also do a MASSIVE version of it, which is good for hearty sauces like bolognese, but I rarely get it because I end up making too much and eating half the packet in one go.

Morrisons The Best Trottole Pasta | Morrisons

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Is oriechiette the pasta that translates as ‘little ears’ in Italian? So cute.
Yes, hate bow-tie pasta!

My friend had a similar tale about a rat bit
This was when she was travelling in India and a black rat came out of the toilet, she screamed and panicked, it screamed and panicked and ran up her body and into HER HAIR.

@Flumps - don’t say you’re getting old - cos if you are, I am 😂
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I genuinely think I would have fainted. Or thrown the rat at the wall or something. Blerghejdjabdkfuwb 🤮

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I apologise for all your nightmares/internal screaming/nervous future wees. But sorry @Bellllls your post did make me laugh.

Yum yum to your eggs.

Fave pasta shapes - yes to orechiette when I'm feeling fancy, but my favourite day to day pasta is cavatappi. Of the long pastas, linguine is the best. I have strong feelings about this too!

Oh and I forgot earlier @Lornadoom love your plate too. I am a bit obsessed with nice crockery.
Totally agree re those pasta shapes, I also love farfalle which most people I know hate. Ihate long pasta which is too thin, like angel hair

• Heart
Reactions: 8
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I genuinely think I would have fainted. Or thrown the rat at the wall or something. Blerghejdjabdkfuwb 🤮
Her travelling companion / flat mate had to beat it out of her hair 😱 and she said she had flashbacks of its claws on her scalp for weeks afterwards 😳

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 18
Morrisons also do a MASSIVE version of it, which is good for hearty sauces like bolognese, but I rarely get it because I end up making too much and eating half the packet in one go.

View attachment 203496
Morrisons have such a good pasta selection, there’s not one near me but every time I visit my parents I go and stock up!

Reactions: 11
Good morning all.
I’m glad other people have noticed it’s not so good on the Hinch thread. I’m actually beginning to feel sorry for her.
I’m ok on the mother thread.
My cooking this week has been dismal. It’s bizarrely related to my hormones. Wtf is that all about?
Have a good day all.

My favourite pasta is spaghetti. I’m boring.
Nowt wrong with spaghetti 😋

Agreed on farfalle, crap pasta shape. And reminds me of really naff, over mayonnaised cold pasta salads at buffets.

@Babysnark also fans of king prawn linguine in this house, delicious 😍

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Hard yes to farfalle being the worst pasta shape! I’m a big fan of rigatoni and bucatini myself...

Surprised to see the orecchiette popularity - I picked up this bag in Rome last November but still haven’t used it because they remind me of veiny earlobes?! What kinda pasta dish would you fraus make with it?
29EA8914-377B-497E-BC2E-431681BCF015.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Okaaaaaaay so I’ve managed to Grunka fast a you lovely Fraus have spoilered vermin chat, I cannot read or think about them. Years ago I was so phobic that I developed my own coping strategy if a picture of one entered my head. I’d chant Mars Bar, Mars Bar, Mars Bar and visualise one to take away the creepy thought!

My favourite pasta is rigatoni, boring I know but I love it. Long pasta is linguine! Being honest I will eat any pasta as I love it so much 😍

Bit of help please, during lockdown my lovely milkman delivered eggs, I’ve forgotten to reduce the order and now have flippin loads. What can I make? Tortilla has been vetoed by the children as “boring and you don’t make it as nice as they do in Spain”... clearly I don’t, but feel I’ve spawned fairly rude but honest children 🙄

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
I had really thought rats in toilets were an urban legend. *Shudder* ETA @Pocahontas I would have fainted.
Mr Moo's sister used to live in a basement flat and always kept a brick on the closed toilet lid because they were always coming up the u bend.
I love rats, we have 2 pet rats, but the thought of a sewer rat biting me on the bum when on the loo gives me the heebie jeebies.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Hard yes to farfalle being the worst pasta shape! I’m a big fan of rigatoni and bucatini myself...

Surprised to see the orecchiette popularity - I picked up this bag in Rome last November but still haven’t used it because they remind me of veiny earlobes?! What kinda pasta dish would you fraus make with it?View attachment 203520
I think the uber traditional sauce for orecchiette is a broccoli (particularly broccoli rabe, though I've only ever had that when I used to grow it) one. Broccoli cooked until it's a bit melty, then mixed with garlic, chilli and anchovy (if you like the anchovy) fried off in olive oil. Lots of parmesan and black pepper too. I love that sauce, but that would be a very green plate with green pasta.

Also I like it for meat sauces. Ragu is good, but my favourite is a sausage sauce, where you cook the sausage first in milk which adds a magical sweetness to it, then in tomato for a sausage sort of ragu. The recipe I use most often is Jill Dupleix's here:

I never add the cream though, I don't think it needs it. The key is to not add the tomatoes until all milk is cooked down and almost completely evaporated. I also add a bit of chilli heat, normally with dried flakes before adding the tomatoes, but sometimes with fresh red chilli too. But that's because I like heat, you don't need it.

I also like it with fresh pesto.

THAT MAN makes his pasta bake (my favourite pasta bake - just good tomato sauce, mozzarella and parmesan) with it too.

• Heart
Reactions: 17

Surprised to see the orecchiette popularity - I picked up this bag in Rome last November but still haven’t used it because they remind me of veiny earlobes?! What kinda pasta dish would you fraus make with it?View attachment 203520
There's a special Puglian pasta dish which it is perfect for it - turnip tops! Probably not accessible in the UK but essentially you don't want anything too saucy. So cherry tomatoes and a fresh green (spinach or cavolo nero maybe?) cooked down to a light coating would be nice, as is a broccoli and garlic cooked down for ages until melts into a light sauce. Tbh I like it with just garlic butter and lots of parmesan!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I think the uber traditional sauce for orecchiette is a broccoli (particularly broccoli rabe, though I've only ever had that when I used to grow it) one. Broccoli cooked until it's a bit melty, then mixed with garlic, chilli and anchovy (if you like the anchovy) fried off in olive oil. Lots of parmesan and black pepper too. I love that sauce, but that would be a very green plate with green pasta.

Also I like it for meat sauces. Ragu is good, but my favourite is a sausage sauce, where you cook the sausage first in milk which adds a magical sweetness to it, then in tomato for a sausage sort of ragu. The recipe I use most often is Jill Dupleix's here:

I never add the cream though, I don't think it needs it. The key is to not add the tomatoes until all milk is cooked down and almost completely evaporated. I also add a bit of chilli heat, normally with dried flakes before adding the tomatoes, but sometimes with fresh red chilli too. But that's because I like heat, you don't need it.

I also like it with fresh pesto.

THAT MAN makes his pasta bake (my favourite pasta bake - just good tomato sauce, mozzarella and parmesan) with it too.

omg thank you! This thread is an absolute wealth of knowledge - it almost makes up for the fact that I’m going to have to go out and buy a bucket to wee in today because I can never ever use an actual toilet ever again

• Haha
Reactions: 26
omg thank you! This thread is an absolute wealth of knowledge - it almost makes up for the fact that I’m going to have to go out and buy a bucket to wee in today because I can never ever use an actual toilet ever again
Same here....

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I just googled chamber pots and saw this one - you can wee on Napoleon's head instead of a rat!!!

1596706834780.png

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Bit of help please, during lockdown my lovely milkman delivered eggs, I’ve forgotten to reduce the order and now have flippin loads. What can I make? Tortilla has been vetoed by the children as “boring and you don’t make it as nice as they do in Spain”... clearly I don’t, but feel I’ve spawned fairly rude but honest children 🙄
Screenshot_20200806-123712~2.png

Duh...

Or you could make shakshuka - eggs poached in a tomato and pepper sauce. If its for dinner you can totally get away with having three each!

• Haha
Reactions: 20
We get a lot of weird and gross things here in the sub tropics. You certainly never start thinking *yay* about them, but do get somewhat desensitised to stuff. One of the most disconcerting things ever though is to go for a wee in a hurry, and then find on flushing that you've peed on a frog 🐸

I don't really have a favourite pasta shape tbh. They've changed the spirals we often buy, and now they turn to mush, so definitely gone off them now.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.