Food & Drink #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone have suggestions for avocado that aren’t just on toast/ guacamole? I keep getting them in veg box and have no other interesting ideas 😑
I usually just have some chopped avocado with a little lime juice squeezed over every time I have chilli and rice. It’s one of my favourite food combinations

• Heart
Reactions: 8
***sorry in advance vegans and vegetarians***

My boyfriend’s gluten free dad is coming round for dinner tomorrow so im making Korean bossam (slow cooked
Pork shoulder with a brown sugar crust, served on the table
With lettuce wraps, kimchi, raw veggies, sticky rice and a selection of spicy sauces - it’s very popular in this house).

But I forgot that this recipe requires skinless pork shoulder!I’ve just removed it and covered the shoulder in a salt / sugar rub to cure for 24 hours but what would you clever fraus suggest I do with the leftover skin? I don’t want to deep fry anything so chiccarones (Or however you spell them) are out of the question...
Firstly, I would like to come to your house for dinner tomorrow, please and thank you.

Um... roast it and make crackling or is that too obvious?

Turn it into straws a la this recipe:

Like those ones I like to buy in M&S I guess.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
You can quite successfully tempura an avocado. I know hot avocado sounds weird, but it's goood...

Also, poke bowls? Salmon (poached, smoked. marinaded or raw, depending on your tolerance levels for such things), here's Nadiya's version, but obviously you can play around with the toppings. I like her sauce recipe though.

Nigella's Roquamole - https://www.nigella.com/recipes/roquamole - I know it's basically guac, but it's got a twist and a punny name and I am a sucker for such shenanigans

Go back to the 70s with a prawn cocktail stuffed avocado? You MUST make the sauce with ketchup, mayo, lemon juice and tabasco. It's the law.
This prawn cocktail is my heaven. My birthday coincides with the baby Eaglet’s due date and I all I want for my birthday is a table of prawn cocktails. Absolute heaven.

I found a great recipe for avocado chocolate cake in one of those Australian Good Housekeeping recipe books. I guess acts like mayo (ptsd of mayo in cakes, anyone?). I’m going to root out the recipe: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chocolate-avocado-cake?amp It was much the same as this but without the gluten free baking powder. It was excellent!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Agreed @Breakdance Badass !

Super non interesting breakfast of marmite on toast, not yet had lunch because I have no idea what to do and tbh I am bloated from 2 bits of bread for breakfast, but was told to have bigger breakfasts than I was, so am seemingly just doomed!

Trying to drag myself unwillingly through a major life admin day today. Finalised Ocado shop, having a week largely of Miguel meals as they're so easy/actually enjoyed by husband (difficult to do, but he's still getting a burger night so he's happy) and it's knocked 30% off our avg spend?!! That's just picking out whatever we fancy, I'm sure if I sat and thought about it properly it'd be more? What a result tho thanks Jack, doing the lord's work hunni xo

Majorly procrastinating applying for Irish citizenship, pre lockdown wanted to just go over there for a weekend and do it all in person as I hateeeee online systems for stuff like this it's always majorly antiquated and tit. I had to get their equivalent of an NI number last year & the whole process was really... laid back... and I'm the opposite so it really stresses me to think of my application just in the ether or what if it gets rejected etc etc?
It was so easy getting set up in Ireland, I was surprised!

Reactions: 6
@Flumps do you have a photo of the Death Star cake? I have the Death Star lego set but cake sounds far better tbh.
I have the Death Star lego set too! I got it last Christmas, but life has got in the way and it's still in its box! I really need to find time to make it...

Photo is a bit rough and ready... but here you go....

ETA: Round cakes are hard!!

Attachments

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 28
Agreed @Breakdance Badass !

Super non interesting breakfast of marmite on toast, not yet had lunch because I have no idea what to do and tbh I am bloated from 2 bits of bread for breakfast, but was told to have bigger breakfasts than I was, so am seemingly just doomed!

Trying to drag myself unwillingly through a major life admin day today. Finalised Ocado shop, having a week largely of Miguel meals as they're so easy/actually enjoyed by husband (difficult to do, but he's still getting a burger night so he's happy) and it's knocked 30% off our avg spend?!! That's just picking out whatever we fancy, I'm sure if I sat and thought about it properly it'd be more? What a result tho thanks Jack, doing the lord's work hunni xo

Majorly procrastinating applying for Irish citizenship, pre lockdown wanted to just go over there for a weekend and do it all in person as I hateeeee online systems for stuff like this it's always majorly antiquated and tit. I had to get their equivalent of an NI number last year & the whole process was really... laid back... and I'm the opposite so it really stresses me to think of my application just in the ether or what if it gets rejected etc etc?
can you remind me which Miguel Barclay book you bought? I know you said it on the previous thread but it’s not coming up in a search!

• Heart
I have the Death Star lego set too! I got it last Christmas, but life has got in the way and it's still in its box! I really need to find time to make it...

Photo is a bit rough and ready... but here you go....
Wow! You genius!

• Heart
It was so easy getting set up in Ireland, I was surprised!
Do you reckon I should just wait and do it over there? I tried doing the first stage of registering a foreign birth and they wanted 270 euro so I think I ended up on a scam site like the ones that charge you £££ for that £14 ESTA for the US, or booking a driving test?

Currently trying to coerce my very squeamish husband into helping me harvest collestrum as next on the to do list. Suspect he’ll be more of a hindrance tbh?

can you remind me which Miguel Barclay book you bought? I know you said it on the previous thread but it’s not coming up in a search!
The one that has fast and fresh in the title! It’s really really good, I’m not a cook at all but I’ve been amazed by it. He does love paprika and cumin though, although nothing tastes strongly of it x

@Flumps do you have a photo of the Death Star cake? I have the Death Star lego set but cake sounds far better tbh.
omg spamming here but I also love Lego! We did the book & coffee shop as an early lockdown treat!

Reactions: 10
Do you reckon I should just wait and do it over there? I tried doing the first stage of registering a foreign birth and they wanted 270 euro so I think I ended up on a scam site like the ones that charge you £££ for that £14 ESTA for the US, or booking a driving test?

Currently trying to coerce my very squeamish husband into helping me harvest collestrum as next on the to do list. Suspect he’ll be more of a hindrance tbh?

The one that has fast and fresh in the title! It’s really really good, I’m not a cook at all but I’ve been amazed by it. He does love paprika and cumin though, although nothing tastes strongly of it x

omg spamming here but I also love Lego! We did the book & coffee shop as an early lockdown treat!
Thanks, I love paprika and cumin too Miguel may be my perfect match!

• Heart
Reactions: 7

I reckon he will be a huge hindrance, and if anything like mine will be very annoying 🤣 Can I ask why you’re doing it, have they advised you to? Sorry I’m a bit of a BF interested person so ignore if too personal!

Eh, that’s a bit good Mrs @Flumps!! That is great praise as I have not one bit of interest in anything SWs

• Heart
Reactions: 7
😂 Yeah, id do it over there. It does cost a fair bit though, from memory!

Reactions: 4
I'm trying to get an Italian passport right now and it's a bloody bureaucratic nightmare. My Italian is not great and I need to obtain heaps of birth certificates, all of which has been hampered by COVID!

I'm actually making a Nigella recipe tonight, the one that caused the beef with Trinny! I absolutely love strong flavours like this. And all made from jars/tins too!

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I'm trying to get an Italian passport right now and it's a bloody bureaucratic nightmare. My Italian is not great and I need to obtain heaps of birth certificates, all of which has been hampered by COVID!

I'm actually making a Nigella recipe tonight, the one that caused the beef with Trinny! I absolutely love strong flavours like this. And all made from jars/tins too!

So jealous of all of you who can get eu passports 😢 love this pasta , What was the beef with trinny?

Reactions: 2

I love this recipe so much.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.