Food & Drink #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ok have finally grunka’d my way through...OT (sorry in advance) thanks to @Passive_Aggressive_Lemon for the JM summary last thread....I finally connected the dots and feel a tool. I was on the JM threads for DKL, then lurked for a while and saw an incident around BLM (I think?) which feels a while ago and I delurked. I just assumed the person involved had been expelled so to speak so didn’t immediately make a connection (am stupidly slow at times). Then I rentered the JM threads the other week following FODs disappearance so have only finally connected the dots following the post in the last thread and doing some research...weirdly when I checked though that user still exists - unless I’ve connected the wrong dots? 🤷‍♀️ Also add into this that I didn’t realise you could ‘ignore’ posters. Either way while I really enjoy the humour of the JM threads and the calling out of her awful behaviour from an outsiders POV it certainly seems a bit like some people have hidden agendas/weird vibes so thanks @Pocahontas for pointing people to this thread!

But back OT - I have book marked so many recipe suggestions etc while I’ve grunka’d - thank you. Also bought the Dishoom cookbook. Oh and I can’t cook rice for tit - have to use a sistema microwave rice cooker to save face but have book marked the techniques other use in a vain attempt to redeem myself on the rice front! Oh and I need to find the cherry Bakewell yum yums 🤤.

Personality quiz results - so I did both of the ones linked on the last thread (and possibly beginning of this thread?) and came out as the following: INFJ / ISFP-T (Adventurer). I vaguely remember in my early twenties doing something similar in a job (not sure it was Meyer Briggs) but you were assigned a colour, Red, Blue, Green or Yellow and has a ‘private’ and ‘public’ result. I was a definite Red for both which at the time matched up (I was a bit of a gobby hothead in my youth compared to now!).

Oh and home made pizzas tonight for dinner - bases were made with a recipe by THAT MAN.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Firstly, I would like to come to your house for dinner tomorrow, please and thank you.

Um... roast it and make crackling or is that too obvious?

Turn it into straws a la this recipe:

Like those ones I like to buy in M&S I guess.
Ohhh I'm going to make those straws and report back - new I could count on you flumps!

Also crisps chat: what is the greatest flavour/brand? I personally think a bag of smokey bacon walkers is hard to beat but I know I'm alone on this one...

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Ok have finally grunka’d my way through...OT (sorry in advance) thanks to @Passive_Aggressive_Lemon for the JM summary last thread....I finally connected the dots and feel a tool. I was on the JM threads for DKL, then lurked for a while and saw an incident around BLM (I think?) which feels a while ago and I delurked. I just assumed the person involved had been expelled so to speak. Then I rentered the JM threads the other week following FODs disappearance so have only finally connected the dots following the post in the last thread and doing some research...weirdly when I checked though that user still exists - unless I’ve connected the wrong dots? 🤷‍♀️ Also add into this that I didn’t realise you could ‘ignore’ posters. Either way while I really enjoy the humour of the JM threads and the calling out of her awful behaviour from an outsiders POV it certainly seems a bit like some people have hidden agendas/weird vibes so thanks @Pocahontas for pointing people to this thread!

But back OT - I have book marked so many recipe suggestions etc while I’ve grunka’d - thank you. Also bought the Dishoom cookbook. Oh and I can’t cook rice for tit - have to use a sistema microwave rice cooker to save face but have book marked the techniques other use in a vain attempt to redeem myself on the rice front! Oh and I need to find the cherry Bakewell yum yums 🤤.

Personality quiz results - so I did both of the ones linked on the last thread (and possibly beginning of this thread?) and came out as the following: INFJ / ISFP-T (Adventurer). I vaguely remember in my early twenties doing something similar in a job (not sure it was Meyer Briggs) but you were assigned a colour, Red, Blue, Green or Yellow and has a ‘private’ and ‘public’ result. I was a definite Red for both which at the time matched up (I was a bit of a gobby hothead in my youth compared to now!).

Oh and home made pizzas tonight for dinner - bases were made with a recipe by THAT MAN.
I use a Jamie Oliver pizza base recipe too. The one from Jamie's Italian. Love it.

The colour thing is the Insights profiles. My work uses that one now. I am Yellow with strong hints of Red.

I have just had a late lunch of halloumi fries dug out of the freezer. These ones:

TBF, they were bloody delicious, but I feel a little ashamed of myself recommending lots of things to cook on this thread, then making myself beige freezer food.

I had them with this:

Which is billed on the back of the bottle as the hottest chilli mayo around. It is rather hot (and I eat a lot of spicy food), in that weirdly pleasurable way and I feel like I have an endorphin rush from the whole cheese and chilli combo.

• Heart
Also crisps chat: what is the greatest flavour/brand? I personally think a bag of smokey bacon walkers is hard to beat but I know I'm alone on this one...
My top 5 crisps of all time: Wotsits; Walkers Roast Chicken; Steak McCoys; Walkers Ready Salted; Salt & Vinegar Chipsticks.

I love a maize snack, MSG, and I loathe fancy crisps. Kettle Chips taste burnt and shred your guns and I'm over pretending to be sophisticated buying crisps made of beetroot and similar bollocks.

ETA: lol leaving "shred your guns" there because it's funny but I clearly meant gums. Crisps have done the opposite to my biceps over lockdown 🐷.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Ohhh I'm going to make those straws and report back - new I could count on you flumps!

Cheese and onion rule. Crisp sandwich = fresh white bread, butter and cheese and onion crisps, sometimes add Branson 😎

• Heart
Reactions: 10

I don't want to be all Sali Hughes about this but totally with @HarderFaster, most expensive crisps are wank, and we're all kidding ourselves about those gum shredders being better.

Salt and vinegar chipsticks, pickled onion Monster Munch (though I swear they were stronger back in the day), Cheese Nacho Doritos, Worcester sauce Walkers and for very special occasions, Scampi Fries.

ETA: for the podcast and crisps lovers, there was, for a while, a desert island crisps podcast: https://play.acast.com/s/desertislandcrisps

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
I love salt and vinegar crisps. The ones that burn your mouth and water your eyes from the strength of flavour. Notably the co-op own brand ones, golden wonder, walkers baked, Tyrells and McCoys.

I also dislike Kettle chips. I think they're really overrated! If I want a 'fancy' brand then Tyrrells are far superior. Do Twiglets count as a crisp? I could eat them by the bucket load too.

Crisp sandwich ❤Up there with chip butties tbh.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
My top 5 crisps of all time: Wotsits; Walkers Roast Chicken; Steak McCoys; Walkers Ready Salted; Salt & Vinegar Chipsticks.

I love a maize snack, MSG, and I loathe fancy crisps. Kettle Chips taste burnt and shred your guns and I'm over pretending to be sophisticated buying crisps made of beetroot and similar bollocks.

ETA: lol leaving "shred your guns" there because it's funny but I clearly meant gums. Crisps have done the opposite to my biceps over lockdown 🐷.

Ohhhh I agree with everything except wotsits :sick:

Agree re: kettle chips - barely any in a bag and not enough flavour! Every since I realised Pringles and Hula Hoops are basically reconstituted potato mush I've struggled to enjoy them. Salt and vinegar McCoys are the superior salt and vinegar flavour imo.

God tier holiday crisps - why don't they sell these in the UK?!

Screenshot 2020-07-28 at 4.02.16 pm.png

• Heart
  • Wow
The best crisps EVER are Tayto Occasions Cheese & Onion. Probably a good thing that I can't get them here.

As a rule of thumb, avoid crisps with unnecessary words in the name. Salt & vinegar? Fine. Pink Himalayan salt & aged balsamic vinegar? Danger zone.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
I use a Jamie Oliver pizza base recipe too. The one from Jamie's Italian. Love it.

The colour thing is the Insights profiles. My work uses that one now. I am Yellow with strong hints of Red.
Thank you - yes definitely Insights. No idea if I’d be the same now - very different work wise (as in I grew up a lot by the time I left that job/subsequent jobs/general life experiences) and a good 10yrs older to boot.

The pizza base recipe I use it from his Naked Chef book so very old now! I’m using a Delia tomato sauce recipe from the classic ‘Delia’s Complete Cookery Course’ book - a real oldie but a good staple cookbook.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
YES to the fraus not impressed by expensive crisps - and don't get me started on some of the ridiculous flavours of 'posh' crisps. Winter berries with gold flakes? Prosecco flavour?? Even balsamic vinegar is can do one. Gimme the cheapest of ingredients please. My fave is probably a bag of crinkle seabrook ready salted, where the oil has made the crisps go see through.

I did go through a phase of eating pretty much an entire 'family' bag of lime sensations (can you still get these??) a day until I started getting stomach cramps... 😬

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16

Prawn cocktail (Walkers or Pringles) or Salt and Vinegar crisps but ones which draw your arse up so to speak!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
The best crisps EVER are Tayto Occasions Cheese & Onion. Probably a good thing that I can't get them here.

As a rule of thumb, avoid crisps with unnecessary words in the name. Salt & vinegar? Fine. Pink Himalayan salt & aged balsamic vinegar? Danger zone.
I remember seeing gin and tonic ones in Aldi before lockdown 🤢 I don’t eat many crisps but have recently become obsessed with whatsits, otherwise just any salt and vinegar, I also love veg crisps (convince myself they’re somehow healthy 😂😂)

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
I also want to apply for my Italian passport but am put off because I cba with hard work. I need to find one of these dodgy bastards that does it all for you, I would rather be charged a bomb than try and figure it out for myself. I know the Irish passport would be easier to obtain but I want an Italian one for the mystique! 😂

Am jealous of all the Northern Ireland residents today, the accent is so bleeping sexy. Am having a thing over Colin Morgan rn.

• Haha
  • Heart
Where I live flavoured crisps have only really become a thing in the last few years...most people seem to distrust anything but ready salted (tbh this has led to me rarely eating crisps). Sadly, one flavour that has become inexplicably popular is FRIED EGG CRISPS. They are an absolute abomination. Like, I have no words for how disgusting they are.

• Sick
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
Oh yeah, can’t beat a Lay 🤣

Love NikNaks, Doritos, plus reeesaaaaaallllly love Japanese Rice Crackers with peanuts. Also pretzels.

Alllll the crisps.

My husband’s family have a tradition that they call a crisp salad - basically pour in as many different types of crisps and nuts into a massive bowl - don’t mix them, pour them in sections. Excellent snack.
your husband’s family sound like the perfect in laws

This is true wisdom! I find pret salt and vinegar crisps particularly offensive

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
I also want to apply for my Italian passport but am put off because I cba with hard work. I need to find one of these dodgy bastards that does it all for you, I would rather be charged a bomb than try and figure it out for myself. I know the Irish passport would be easier to obtain but I want an Italian one for the mystique! 😂

Am jealous of all the Northern Ireland residents today, the accent is so bleeping sexy. Am having a thing over Colin Morgan rn.
omg the dodgy offices who are accountants & solicitors & lettings agents, their offices are always above chicken shops with the vinyl stickers (each letter is its own sticker) of their services on the windows? Like yeah of course I'll drop all my ID docs here hun, I trust nothing bad will happen to me x

I am now embarrassed to admit I enjoy the balsamic vinegar kettle crisps! I actually like how claggy they are and the fact they definitely strip away a thin layer of the roof of your mouth... There are like 3 crisps in a pack though. I don't like all the fancy popcorns, the propercorn flavours genuinely burn?

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.