Food & Drink #12 Willies and mash

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I agree with @colouredlines about yoga - I did it almost every day with YouTube videos for a year before I twanged an adductor tendon (not doing yoga!), had to stop for months while it healed and never got started again. I must go back to it. I think my mental health exercise this week is going to be getting back in the saddle. A friend of mine has noticed I've been ducking it for a while because I'm having a confidence crisis (Junior horse, while lovely, is very green and can have the odd moment, I'm currently too heavy for middle pony now he's in his 20s, and Senior horse has been retired for eight years) and has promised/threatened to throw me up on her lovely calm pony on the first nice day we get to remind me that I actually do know how to ride. (Which is very, very lovely of her and I'm very grateful, but she says she has two ulterior motives: firstly she wants someone to go hacking with and secondly she's hoping I'll have time to keep hers fit for her when she's busy!)

• Heart
Reactions: 18
You’ve reminded me that organising and sorting makes me feel a lot better, and a lot more in control. I realised the last time I organised my kitchen, about a month ago, that so much good stuff hides away in the backs of cupboards and drawers. Once I’d got it all out, we did some cutesy family meal planning, and there was so much that I felt the food anxiety fade off a bit. I haven’t moved all day today. I’m somehow immobilized by the stress, but I’m going to give myself some small tasks to get me going.

Back on food topic. We have so many beautiful cook books, and used to quite often spend a Sunday evening looking through with the children and deciding what to make/have during the week. I think we should do this today. I need a focus 🤯
Yes!!! Was nodding along to all of this, but all of this yes!! Also it’s difficult for me to not strongly correlate my self worth or success with my levels of productivity, it’s not kind though is it.

Also I bought some tinned mackerel to do those Miguel tacos again as it’s sooo much cheaper than fresh, it’s alright isn’t it? It’s not one of those things where it’s a third of the price cos it’s bleeping savage is it? Like tinned mushrooms 🤮

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Also I bought some tinned mackerel to do those Miguel tacos again as it’s sooo much cheaper than fresh, it’s alright isn’t it? It’s not one of those things where it’s a third of the price cos it’s bleeping savage is it? Like tinned mushrooms 🤮
Tinned mackerel is alright. Bit oily (unless you got it in brine?) and soft. I love smoked mackerel. You can get that pretty cheap. I’ve never heard of tinned mushrooms and that sounds rank. Then again I hate mushrooms anyway. They’re what I imagine a slug would be like texture-wise.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
I have a huge pot of beef stew on for dinner 😋

My skin & hair recently have started becoming greasy. I dont know why?! I had terrible skin up until having the kids (late 20s), but its been fine since. The last 2 weeks its now oily and my hair is getting greasy again quickly. Normally gets greasy after like 2/3 days usually but now its almost straight away??

• Sad
Yes!!! Was nodding along to all of this, but all of this yes!! Also it’s difficult for me to not strongly correlate my self worth or success with my levels of productivity, it’s not kind though is it.

Ooh, can you post the recipe?

• Heart
Reactions: 8

My skin & hair recently have started becoming greasy. I dont know why?! I had terrible skin up until having the kids (late 20s), but its been fine since. The last 2 weeks its now oily and my hair is getting greasy again quickly. Normally gets greasy after like 2/3 days usually but now its almost straight away??
This may sound counterproductive but when my skin was going through a massive oily stage, I read that using an oil cleanser helps. Your oily skin is producing excess sebum which won’t be budged by water-based cleanser. So for science reasons I don’t understand, using an oil cleanser seems to balance your skin out and stops you producing more oil than it needs. I started doing an oil cleanse once a week and my excess greasiness stopped.

Can’t help with the hair because mine is bleached to hell.

This may sound counterproductive but when my skin was going through a massive oily stage, I read that using an oil cleanser helps. Your oily skin is producing excess sebum which won’t be budged by water-based cleanser. So for science reasons I don’t understand, using an oil cleanser seems to balance your skin out and stops you producing more oil than it needs. I started doing an oil cleanse once a week and my excess greasiness stopped.

Can’t help with the hair because mine is bleached to hell.
Skin is so weird! I'll give that a go. Its so strange. I feel like a greasy teen again 🥴

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Edit: HOPE (not hole) the fraus and loved ones are all well this evening

@Flumps hope you and Mr Flumps are doing ok today

@Begborrowsteal im useless with skin (*accidental creepy sentence*).

If you use a harsh cleanser/exfoliator without moisturiser then your skin can start to up oil production to try and 'save you' from your skin drying out, so be careful if you use anything like that to try and combat oiliness, try and use a lightweight moisturiser after cleansing, and like with hair, give your skin some time to adapt to a changing routine - may take a week or two to rebalance.

With hair only advice i can give is to condition only the middle to ends of your hair not the scalp, and don't shampoo every day (same principle, if you strip oils out of hair scalp will try to rebalance) use dry shampoo on your 'off day' instead see if that helps (assuming of course that you're not already doing that)

Annoyingly, everyone's skin and hair is a bit unique so one routine won't fit all. Hope you find the skincare/haircare that works for you! (I have the opposite problem - dry skin - which i appreciate is a lot easier cause i know the answer is just "slap a load of moisture on and stop forgetting to use night cream you pillock")

• Heart
Hope you're all okay. Can't believe (yet not surprised) that we're back in this situation. 2020 has been a weird old year. I've seen my family today for the last catch up we'll be able to do for...however long this next bit ends up being...and I feel so sad. Sending ❤ to the rest of you all. If nothing else, we are all in this together.

P.S. I have nothing to offer re. skin but reading with interest. So many knowledgeable people on here!

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Thayer’s Witch Hazel alcohol free toner is good. I got mine from Ebay.
Love a bit of witch hazel, thank you!

Edit: HOPE (not hole) the fraus and loved ones are all well this evening

@Flumps hope you and Mr Flumps are doing ok today

@Begborrowsteal im useless with skin (*accidental creepy sentence*).

If you use a harsh cleanser/exfoliator without moisturiser then your skin can start to up oil production to try and 'save you' from your skin drying out, so be careful if you use anything like that to try and combat oiliness, try and use a lightweight moisturiser after cleansing, and like with hair, give your skin some time to adapt to a changing routine - may take a week or two to rebalance.

With hair only advice i can give is to condition only the middle to ends of your hair not the scalp, and don't shampoo every day (same principle, if you strip oils out of hair scalp will try to rebalance) use dry shampoo on your 'off day' instead see if that helps (assuming of course that you're not already doing that)

Annoyingly, everyone's skin and hair is a bit unique so one routine won't fit all. Hope you find the skincare/haircare that works for you! (I have the opposite problem - dry skin - which i appreciate is a lot easier cause i know the answer is just "slap a load of moisture on and stop forgetting to use night cream you pillock")
Ive been using Simple moisturising face wash actually, only thing different ive used. Always figured they were gentle but maybe its that? Its weird. It hasnt been oily in years. With hair, id leave it a good 4 or 5 days between washes now and rarely condition it 👀 always had hair that gets greasy at the roots but again, recently its cranked up a bit

Reactions: 8
If anyone needs cheering up, there's a segment on Countryfile RN about a girl and her support dog. He's a very clever boy.

• Heart
Reactions: 16

I was the same regarding skin. Not acne but constant outbreaks until I had my first child when it 'righted' itself. In recent years I have realised my skin is dehydrated and not dry and The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid (about £6 and not an acid as such but it brings molecules of water into your skin by magic).

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Love a bit of witch hazel, thank you!

Ive been using Simple moisturising face wash actually, only thing different ive used. Always figured they were gentle but maybe its that? Its weird. It hasnt been oily in years. With hair, id leave it a good 4 or 5 days between washes now and rarely condition it 👀 always had hair that gets greasy at the roots but again, recently its cranked up a bit
I was always so jealous of women like you! Before lockdown my hair needed washing every other day, and I mean NEEDED it was pretty much sliding off my scalp for the grease. Since lockdown I wash it once a week tops and even then it’s not as greasy as it used to be! Is it possible the outside triggers that much grease?! What the duck is out there 😷

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.