Food & Drink #12 Willies and mash

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My skin & hair recently have started becoming greasy. I dont know why?! I had terrible skin up until having the kids (late 20s), but its been fine since. The last 2 weeks its now oily and my hair is getting greasy again quickly. Normally gets greasy after like 2/3 days usually but now its almost straight away??
Mine too pet - I never struggled with greasy hair before the pandemic but now it's a constant battle. I recently bought L'Oreal extraordinary clay shampoo and it's working for me at the moment. I've spent the past few years avoiding anything with sulfates in it like the plague but idk, sometimes you just need to blast that grease away with chemicals 😫. I also wash twice - first to dislodge the grease, second to wash it away. If you use conditioner then ends ONLY. Then I try really hard not to play with my hair (very difficult for me when stressed). I also use a shiny pillow (supposed to be silk but lol I can't afford that so just anything that is slippy and doesn't absorb oil) which is helping too.

For skin, it's important to try and keep your hair off your face cos that will contribute to oiliness (yeah, they love to gang up on you together the fuckers). This is also a constant battle cos I proper toss and turn in the night and sleep on my face; if you can bear to sleep in a hair bonnet then that's an option - I've tried and I hated the feel of it, also it just doesn't stay on my head. I wash my face twice a day with Cerave smoothing cleanser (I hear their foaming cleanser is really good for oily skin too) which proper cleans up the oil. You want to moisturise really well too cos skipping this step will probably make things worse. Then again, try really hard not to touch my face all day.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
@heretoreaditall2019 I was going to chime in with the others, but then read that she’d sent a crappy message back! No no. No. Nope.

I’m very understanding of the fact that some people have absolutely had it with this load of tit, and are willing to take risks rather than live in misery. Loads of older people have taken the same attitude. I get that, but nobody should be pressuring other people to take risks for them. That’s so out of order, and I do find older people to be excellent at the passive-aggressive/guilt-tripping talk. You’ve got a tiny baby and are (hope I’m remembering rightly) at higher risk yourself? Come on! You’ve offered to chat on the drive, what more should a person ask of a neighbour?

I hate to think of you feeling bad about this, you haven’t done anything wrong, and in fact have tried to be as kind as possible. It’s like with drink driving, it’s not just the person getting behind the wheel who suffers from that risk, it’s everyone else. Which is why it’s absolutely not cool for a person to down ten pints, and then say it’s ok to drive because they accept the risk to themselves. Same with these people relaxed about COVID, yeah it’s great that you aren’t terrified, but it’s not ok to assume that other people should suffer the consequences of your risk taking.
You’re doing the right thing @heretoreaditall2019. She’s put you in an awkward position because you now feel worried and anxious over upsetting her, when you’re just following the law and trying to keep her and your family safe! She’ll survive without a chat and baby cuddles. Literally! If she wants to ignore the government’s advice, that’s on her but don’t feel guilty for not being party to it.
Omg thank you guys I needed this!

@PoorPatrol LOVE the drink driving analogy that’s fab and so bleeping on point, that’s exactly it!! Thank you! ❤ And yeah kind of at risk, well I was unwell with the old ovarian tumours and I know that doesn’t give you heightened risk but it just means I am twice as terrified of it cos what are the odds of surviving two awful things within two years?! And @NoseyParkour yes! When you put it like that it’s literally being peer pressured into breaking the law by an OAP, which is absurd? I wouldn’t let her make me speed or sell drugs would I?!

• Heart
Reactions: 17
This is exactly what I thought too - playing it forward imagine if the worst happened how could I tell them that I went round?! They’d rightly never forgive me for being so stupid! I could have it but just be asymptomatic, no one knows enough about this virus do they?!

Also most importantly sending you and partner lots of love, how are you both feeling today?
He's feeling a lot better than yesterday. Markers are down again. He's just been talking to me about work, went to his management meeting this morning <eyeroll emoji>, and is sending emails apparently. For the first time he asked the docs this morning about plans and when he'd be getting out, from the sounds of things it's likely to be towards the end of the week.

I'm working today, which is hard because I'm shattered, but useful to have a bit of a focus. We've decided I am not going to see him today, 3 hour round trip to do it from where I am now, as teen is back at school. I feel dreadful about that, which is daft as we normally go all week without seeing each other anyway, but it seems different in these times. I'm probably going up tomorrow to visit him and the cats. Hopefully have a massive food order coming tomorrow to batch cook a load of stuff later in the week.

Thank you for asking sweetie. I am so grateful to you all for the last week or so and giving me a space to vent while I try and look all serene to everyone else.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
He's feeling a lot better than yesterday. Markers are down again. He's just been talking to me about work, went to his management meeting this morning <eyeroll emoji>, and is sending emails apparently. For the first time he asked the docs this morning about plans and when he'd be getting out, from the sounds of things it's likely to be towards the end of the week.

I'm working today, which is hard because I'm shattered, but useful to have a bit of a focus. We've decided I am not going to see him today, 3 hour round trip to do it from where I am now, as teen is back at school. I feel dreadful about that, which is daft as we normally go all week without seeing each other anyway, but it seems different in these times. I'm probably going up tomorrow to visit him and the cats. Hopefully have a massive food order coming tomorrow to batch cook a load of stuff later in the week.

Thank you for asking sweetie. I am so grateful to you all for the last week or so and giving me a space to vent while I try and look all serene to everyone else.
This is all really lovely and positive! With work it’s good you’re going to get a bit of structure but remember if they only get 50% of you, that’s still something to be proud of, we’re not robots and we can’t operate at 100% all the time, especially during a pandemic and especially with an unwell loved one! Hope things start looking better ❤ (Also super behind so not ignoring other posts just gonna post this then grunk) x

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Guacamole lovers - Waitrose is doing an offer on Holy Moly until 1 December. Two for £3.50. An absolute bargain.

• Heart
Oh god guys a quick one for advice please:

I have a neighbour in her mid 80s. We met last year cos her house got broken into for car keys & our CCTV picked up footage, that night I went round with bits for her and ended up staying til 1am having a giggle she’s fab.

She wants me to come over and INTO HER HOUSE with baby! I texted her this morning saying I’d not forgive myself after seeing the graphs for over 60s plus I think it’s illegal (but kept it cute like who knows what the rules are anymore!). She’s texted me back saying we must come in & it would be impolite not to? 😫

The thing is I get why she doesn’t give a duck, if I was 80 and my last years on earth were going to be so limited by covid I’d sooner live fast die young. But I also don’t particularly want to take baby in as I know this lady still sees her family? I’m going to stick to my guns and say drive because I can’t bear the guilt of it all but can I just have a signal boost that I’m doing the right thing please? Even typing this out helped xx

ETA sorry guys I’m crazy DEAR DIARY but I just texted her this, it’s so difficult and tit but I know what’s right and it’s not exposing an 84 year old to me and baby init

I am way too late on this as everyone else has replied and reassured you x a million, but I had to say you sound like an absolutely lovely person. I'm sorry she sent you an unpleasant reply, that's just out of order. My mum is that age and can be very nasty, I think a level of filtering what you say just gets lost with age.

In some regions where I live (non-UK, in Europe) the ICUs have run out of space and so have started triaging people and making decisions about who gets an intensive care bed. Not sure if the UK is at that stage yet (??) but if so, it really changes the perspective on old people giving less of a tit about the rules - some poor doctor will have to make that decision whether the 84 year old gets the ICU bed or the 60 year old with comorbid conditions....so better to just not risk it in the first place.

Not sure if I explained myself very well, it was meant to be reassuring 🤣 🤣 🤣

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
I am way too late on this as everyone else has replied and reassured you x a million, but I had to say you sound like an absolutely lovely person. I'm sorry she sent you an unpleasant reply, that's just out of order. My mum is that age and can be very nasty, I think a level of filtering what you say just gets lost with age.

In some regions where I live (non-UK, in Europe) the ICUs have run out of space and so have started triaging people and making decisions about who gets an intensive care bed. Not sure if the UK is at that stage yet (??) but if so, it really changes the perspective on old people giving less of a tit about the rules - some poor doctor will have to make that decision whether the 84 year old gets the ICU bed or the 60 year old with comorbid conditions....so better to just not risk it in the first place.

This is so horrific, I remember reading accounts by doctors in Italy earlier this year when the virus was at its worst there and the accounts are harrowing, I can only imagine the after effects on the MH of these health care workers

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
This is so horrific, I remember reading accounts by doctors in Italy earlier this year when the virus was at its worst there and the accounts are harrowing, I can only imagine the after effects on the MH of these health care workers
Indeed, and the government here are refusing to implement a national lockdown.

• Angry
  • Wow

Yes! The UK isn’t there yet but I’d heard somewhere (possibly ch4 news?) that that’s why we’re going into lockdown again because we’re getting to a point where HCPs are going to have to make choices about who gets the ventilators or who is seen to first etc etc. Which is terrifying and doesn’t bear thinking about at all? Italy got like that quickly in the early stages and the news footage was terrifying, the images of their covid wards looked like something from an alien horror movie and there were blokes employed by the government going round in a van stacking bodies in black bags in the back! It was horrific!! The problem is the seriousness of it all has been so diluted, the contrast between those images and the eat out scheme is mental?!

And yes to older people being a bit nasty but hopefully not meaning it. This isn’t Saint HTRIA but I helped an old woman who had a fall & her husband was in ICU for a brain thing so she was scared of getting medical help as she hated hospitals, this was the day after I found out I was pregnant actually, anyway I’d walked her back home and as she fell outside the butchers and they knew her and husband he up said he’d lock up and meet me at the house. We were there ages, I called an ambulance as she was bleeding badly and super shaking, she couldn’t even open her front door so thank god I did?! Anyway I was in her house and terrified cos what if she said I’d done something and it’s just scary being around someone so vulnerable! We rang her daughter who didn’t want to make the hour drive (!!!) to come down and see her. Butcher came and was much needed comic relief. Ambulance came and were fab and glued her up. At the end of it she told me and my boyfriend to go away she doesn’t need us interfering it’s none of our business! Like hun I literally compressed ur bleeding chin for an hour and said I’d come back tomorrow if you wanted but cool! The butcher gave me a lift home and when I got in the van he was like you alright with the fact I’ve not got a license? 😂😫 sweetie no this isn’t okay at all but go on then x

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
Ahh thank you!! ❤❤ sorry, i will read back and catch up. Just buzzing and daunted at all once! 🤪

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.