Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Begborrowsteal

VIP Member
Yeap so with you on this. It’s up there with holes in stuff for me - it has a proper name but can’t recall it now and shan’t Google it in fear of it also bringing up said weird images.

On thread - dinner tonight was Thai green curry with chicken and prawns (the other half accidentally got prawns out to defrost - apparently couldn’t see the chicken in the fridge - so didn’t want them going to waste).
Yes! The holes thing. Tyrophobia or something. I cant deal with it. 🤮🤮🤮🤮

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 10

kachoochoo

VIP Member
My Nana’s fuming about ‘what they’ve done to Morpeth’ (gentrified it!)

they don't like change, do they?! and, seriously, morpeth's been gentrified? 😮 I'm truly shocked! God, I wish Sheffield city council would spend more cash on public spaces than chopping down trees 🥴 might improve things

Begborrowsteal

VIP Member
Afternoon coven

I’m interested in what you do for Christmas presents with your kids. I have no interest in buying mountains of presents (especially as daughters birthday is end of November too!) so birthday she is getting a Bluetooth speaker so she can listen to her shitty pop music in a different room and dinner out.we’ve bought tickets for Harry Potter world thing in Watford (?) for Christmas as a family present. I personally think that’s more than enough money wise but also she is 8 and if she doesn’t have actual stuff to open she might feel a bit shortchanged?!

I am aware as I write this what a privileged 1st world problem this is but interested in others opinions on how you do Christmas presents and getting a balance right and also what do you do about Santa? I usually just do a pair of pyjamas and some chocolate from Santa and the rest is from us but she doesn’t need pyjamas lol

To keep on topic - mushroom pate on toast for lunch and Greek takeaway tonight
HP studios are really cool! I love days-out presents. We normally get tickets to Gullivers for our two. We don't go mad on gifts, but the grandparents do 🤦🏻‍♀️ we do 2 gifts each and then a santa present. We don't spend much.

• Heart

NP

VIP Member
Not sure if you’re around @Nottonightbabe , but way back months ago you mentioned an online Nigel Slater Christmas Chronicles book club/read along. Thank you, I’ve joined and ordered the book and it all looks amazing. Going to carve out 15 mins every evening to just sit on my own and read that day’s entry! 🎄
Thank you both for this. I have this book and whilst it doesn’t reflect any Christmas I’ve ever had (my childhood Christmases were an explosion of tinsel in garish 80s colours, Noddy Holder played on loop and dinner courtesy of Aunt Bessie) I still love it because it’s complete escapism in winter evenings. I’ve joined the group also and look forward to dusting the book off to read again.

• Heart

NP

VIP Member
Also I bought some tinned mackerel to do those Miguel tacos again as it’s sooo much cheaper than fresh, it’s alright isn’t it? It’s not one of those things where it’s a third of the price cos it’s fucking savage is it? Like tinned mushrooms 🤮
Tinned mackerel is alright. Bit oily (unless you got it in brine?) and soft. I love smoked mackerel. You can get that pretty cheap. I’ve never heard of tinned mushrooms and that sounds rank. Then again I hate mushrooms anyway. They’re what I imagine a slug would be like texture-wise.

• Haha
  • Heart

Pocahontas

VIP Member
I think we've only ever had one oven with a clock, and it definitely wasn't ever changed! There was also a dishwasher in that house we were too scared to use 😂

Just making some chilli for tea, which we'll have with wraps and salad. My project for next week is to try and bug proof the food cupboard, as the little fuckers had got in my spices again 😡 Thankfully it was pre seasoned mince, but it's such a waste to keep throwing things out.
‘Straya.

what kind of bugs? Sorry, I’m being nosy. 🤣

• Haha
I am here for the doughnut chat. I’m boring AF though and love basic sugared ring doughnuts. I’m not a fan of doughnuts with fillings. We went to Doughnut Time once and I can’t say I was massively impressed for the price of them.
🔺 When I was a teen I worked at the well-known doughnut shop Krusty Kupkakes as we called it. We were allowed to bring home boxes of them if they were about to be chucked. The novelty of eating endless doughnuts wore off after a couple of months.
omg I hate donut time I don’t get it?! I’ve only been to the (short lived) one in city airport and they were SO dry, I don’t know if it was because they were positioned near the entrance so we’re constantly getting swooshed with cold air when the doors opened, or cos no one was buying them (evidently it only lasted a few months?) they weren’t fresh stock?? There was a healthy donut place in box park (shoreditch) with zebra print branding that was rancid too!

emm

VIP Member
To make a quick fish taco I use corn tortillas, fish fingers, bottled ranch dressing and chopped lettuce or cabbage, and lime juice if I have it.
I do this too! (any excuse for fish fingers tbh :LOL:) is also amazing with some mashed up avocado

• Haha
  • Heart

Oxford_Girl

Chatty Member
Morning Fraus

Any tips for letting stuff go? I have a staff member with I suspect OCD and I find it hugely tiring being constantly picked up on every teeny tiny thing. I appreciate they cannot help their behavior but how might I cope better ? Thanks andhope you get some rest @Flumps and BBC all who need it xx

• Heart
@Alansbigplate - I'm loving seeing you cook, it's so cool.

@emm - so sorry about your job news, this year just fucking sucks doesn't it?

Flumps house is not good this evening. Sorry for the drama. Took partner back to hospital for appointment today after GP made appointment for him after he talked to her this morning as wasn't getting any better. Getting him there took an hour (for a 10 min journey) because he was in so much pain. Could barely talk to doctor he saw in clinic (extended GP service). His BP and heart rate were insane. Got sent straight back to A&E for more tests/bloods/possible IV for pain and hydration. I've had to leave him there, as can't go in, so no idea if he has any of those things yet. He is the most stoic person I know and he could barely speak for the pain, and was almost in tears (never seen him cry before) from it too. I'm home now, and just waiting. Am a bit worried now, though maybe I am just not used to seeing him like this, and feeling a bit alone. Hah, woe is me right? He's the one really suffering here.

ETA: what is everyone up to this evening? Feel like I need some normal life distraction if y'all(!) don't mind.
Omg my love I’m so sorry! He’s being well looked after and is probably in a cosy bed, hopefully drifting in / out of sleep ❤ You’ll here from him soon, but please keep us updated?!

Normal life things - I promise I’m not in a The Bridge MLM but it will absorb you, we need to see this bridge get made!! That and the bidding room, don’t know where they find the people that go on but just some really bizarre people / objects / stories. Also listening to this podcast (TW - true crime) which is narrated by the victim’s sister, but the dad killed the sister and possibly the mum?! And the whole family know but nothing’s ever been proven, the dad went to prison for an attempted domestic terrorist attack though. I’m constantly like 🥴 wtf is this story? If all else fails there’s a YouTube video of a DLR ride to bank which is quite soothing x

Attachments

• Heart

Begborrowsteal

VIP Member
Look up negging, there will be a lot of that. Also remember it’s a woman’s market, men are desperate and will send anything in an attempt to elicit a response as it’s an in! Block anything sleazy, it’ll get worse I used to get sent messages about BDSM (I’m not a goth or anything??) or asked if I’d sell pics of my feet (was so skint I was tempted).

I don’t know what the app market is like now but there will undoubtedly be some better ones with higher quality men, I know our @crystaleyesd has been on a lockdown date so maybe she can advise? xx
Someone I know 🔺️ got paid by an onliner. A policeman, infact. He wanted to be degraded, he would do anything she asked. Anything! She never had to do or show anything to/of herself. Easy money 🤷🏻‍♀️😂

• Haha

EddieBeds

VIP Member
Just caught up - @EddieBeds hope you got some sleep? You’re not being unreasonable or anything bad, sleep deprivation is legit torture it makes you think crazy things and feel like the end is nigh / you will never sleep again. It drives you insane, also at night you don’t even get the deep proper sleep as any baby stir you jolt up so you need that time. Please tell us you got your sleep? Also you’re doing a fantastic job, I have no idea how parents of multiple children do it. ❤

Husband may be going away (up north, funnily!) for an event thing & feel confident I’ll be okay, but it is scary?! Gonna get microwave meals cos I don’t like leaving baby by herself for very long but I never find them v filling even though the traffic light system on them is always like RED RED RED and then an orange for sugar 😫
Thank you ❤. Got some sleep and then this morning handed the baby over at 6am to catch some sleep ahead of my other half starting work (from home). So true about sleep deprivation being torture and where your mind then goes 🤪😩. I jolt awake thinking I’ve fallen asleep with the baby only to realise I’m hugging the quilt and the baby is in the crib next to me. The juggling with two isn’t as bad as I expected (maybe my expectations were super low?!) but I get mum guilt with the eldest.

Oh don’t feel guilty over cuddling your baby, though I get it completely. When the time comes your baby will be ok if/when you have to leave her. Take the cuddles while you can. But if you need some hands free time I agree with others re slings- they’re brilliant. Most babies love being snuggled up in the sling - and is a win win all round. My boys seem hit and miss with bouncers but generally enough time to eat food with both hands free or to prep food at least. Have you tried the Scratch meals? I’ve found them in Waitrose - kind of like a box meal as in gives you the raw ingredients already measured out and all you have to do is cook them (they don’t take ages to cook) - Charlie Bigham does some too. They’re for two but you could potentially freeze the extra portion?

You probably know this already but you could try sleeping with one of her blankets or a muslin cloth so it has your scent on so that if you put her down in a bouncer etc it might comfort her as she’ll be able to smell you? I feel your pain re the thumb - definitely more traumatising for us parents. I remember hitting my first born son’s head on the car roof/door as I got him out of the car - still remember the sound three years on.

@NoseyParkour with you on the circle of neglect - it’s brilliant and normally loads floating around on local selling groups. We got ours second hand - my eldest absolutely loved it, hoping when he’s big enough the baby will too.

@emm sorry about the job. No words of wisdom other than take care and sending hugs.

• Heart

Cookiecookie

VIP Member
To make a quick fish taco I use corn tortillas, fish fingers, bottled ranch dressing and chopped lettuce or cabbage, and lime juice if I have it.
Yum! Definitely adding that to my list of frau food. Bonus points to you, cos I have nearly all of that in anyway

• Heart
Am planning to make a broccoli soup tomorrow. Haven't made it before but remember being served similar and had the urge to give it a go. The plan: fry some onions and chilli, add broccoli and water/stock and cook for a bit, then add coconut milk and then blend. Was also thinking about grinding some walnuts and garlic together, after hearing someone say it on a podcast the other day, probably will kind of sprinkle over the top/mix in when serving. Has anyone ever made a soup like this before, any tips?? Anything I could be adding for better taste? Cheers in advance!
Sounds like my type of soup💖

NP

VIP Member
That sounds literally amazing, random question, but how many people have bread makers and is it worth it? I already have a rice maker I don't use, but to be fair I rarely eat rice but love bread.. but have people found they buy it and make use of it or not? (I have limited kitchen storage so this is important! (and if so recommendations of brands)
I had a small Lakeland one that I ended up selling because it took up precious cupboard space that we’re already very short of, and I hardly ever used it. I didn’t rate the loaf that came out of it and you always end up with a hole in the middle from the paddle. I prefer making it the old fashioned way when I can be arsed. If you have a stand mixer with a dough hook then you can use that for kneading (which is the bit I hate!)