Food and Drink #53

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We harvested new potatoes out of the garden! This is our first year with a garden and we nervously approached the most flowering potato plant (they're maincrop) and had a dig around and then squealed when ... THERE WERE INDEED NEW POTATOES IN THE EARTH.

They're currently simmering on the stove as we have some mojo sauces from our recent trip to the Canaries and I'm making wrinkled potatoes. Hopefully I don't mess it up, I've never made them before.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
We harvested new potatoes out of the garden! This is our first year with a garden and we nervously approached the most flowering potato plant (they're maincrop) and had a dig around and then squealed when ... THERE WERE INDEED NEW POTATOES IN THE EARTH.

They're currently simmering on the stove as we have some mojo sauces from our recent trip to the Canaries and I'm making wrinkled potatoes. Hopefully I don't mess it up, I've never made them before.
Ah, that's lovely! I've been gardening for a scarily long time now and have found this year really challenging (cold, wet, slugs, more slugs ...) - am glad it's gone well for you because that first crop is pure magic.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
My dad has just been telling me that the only thing in his garden that has grown at all well is onions.

Reactions: 8
Thanks again for the kind support and sane advice the other day which really helped

I had still been feeling a bit guilty and concerned about leaving her to it, and we've been friendly for many years. After my vent here, I found 2 of her nighties at mine hiding in a blanket so washed & dried those, dropped them off in her porch early Friday morning so she'd have them for the weekend at least.(especially as we all know socserv aren't exactly greyhounds after a rabbit) Emailed and phoned SS who tried to pass me back and forth but I made it clear what was needed and asap.
Anyway, I rang her this afternoon and it went a bit like this:
Me: I managed to wash you a couple to last the weekend
Her: Yes, I saw
(I think you mean "thank you"?)
Me: Shall I come in the morning and sort through the laundry bags and find all the others, I can get them done and back by the afternoon.
Her: [best long-suffering Mr Toad voice] No, I shan't bother.
(what do you mean you shan't bother?)
Me: Ok then.

So basically a QED moment, and I no longer feel any obligation or tbh much sympathy though it is a shame to end a friendship this way.

I realised I do have form for letting people take the mick quite badly, and this has been a useful lesson in boundaries I think.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Thanks again for the kind support and sane advice the other day which really helped

I had still been feeling a bit guilty and concerned about leaving her to it, and we've been friendly for many years. After my vent here, I found 2 of her nighties at mine hiding in a blanket so washed & dried those, dropped them off in her porch early Friday morning so she'd have them for the weekend at least.(especially as we all know socserv aren't exactly greyhounds after a rabbit) Emailed and phoned SS who tried to pass me back and forth but I made it clear what was needed and asap.
Me: Shall I come in the morning and sort through the laundry bags and find all the others, I can get them done and back by the afternoon.

So basically a QED moment, and I no longer feel any obligation or tbh much sympathy though it is a shame to end a friendship this way.

I realised I do have form for letting people take the mick quite badly, and this has been a useful lesson in boundaries I think.
Good for you! Setting boundaries is so important, especially when offering any kind of care. It's hard to do it gracefully without the relationship suffering but both of you take responsibility for how you are with each other. If your friend is ungracious, that's on her. There may be many reasons why a person is grumpy or dismissive or demanding or whatever -- you can hold a space of compassion for her feelings and experience while also being firm in your own limits and what you will or won't do.

It's hard. And social services absolutely should not be relying on you to offer free care to make up for their neglect, especially if this person has carers multiple times a day. They should be documenting everything in their notes and communicating amongst themselves. I realise it's a broken system but that doesn't mean you are responsible for filling in all the gaps. Much love to you.

• Heart
Reactions: 17

@ForgettyBetty I bow down to you the boundary queen! 🙇‍♀️👑

• Heart
Hello ninnies,

I am on a grunking mission but just want to say thank you all for making me laugh this afternoon / evening. 2nd Father’s Day without Dad so emotional anyway, but had a complete meltdown emotionally tonight. Sounding like Jack with this, but self doubt rapt in - like can I manage a degree with my conditions, running a house etc?!
Was in hospital a week and a half ago which was triggering 😭 but I’ve hidden it from everyone until well just now. I slept a lot today. And felt guilty about that. And cried. And I was scared. And I miss my dad so much.

Sorry none of that really made sense but at least I had a good cry today and also a laugh at Jack. My partner was actually really good and supportive - he wasn’t so much in the hospital :( but I think it’s because he has issues with them? I don’t know.

Anyway. I love you all and you are all an amazing, funny, clever, insightful bunch and I’ll be forever grateful for the laughs you’ve given me .

Politico Jack can duck right off though 😂😂😂

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Hello ninnies,

I am on a grunking mission but just want to say thank you all for making me laugh this afternoon / evening. 2nd Father’s Day without Dad so emotional anyway, but had a complete meltdown emotionally tonight. Sounding like Jack with this, but self doubt rapt in - like can I manage a degree with my conditions, running a house etc?!
Was in hospital a week and a half ago which was triggering 😭 but I’ve hidden it from everyone until well just now. I slept a lot today. And felt guilty about that. And cried. And I was scared. And I miss my dad so much.

Sorry none of that really made sense but at least I had a good cry today and also a laugh at Jack. My partner was actually really good and supportive - he wasn’t so much in the hospital :( but I think it’s because he has issues with them? I don’t know.

Anyway. I love you all and you are all an amazing, funny, clever, insightful bunch and I’ll be forever grateful for the laughs you’ve given me .

Politico Jack can duck right off though 😂😂😂
Big love to you.
And to speak to your self doubt: can you manage a degree with your conditions and running a house?
Maybe. Maybe not. But you can motherfuckingwell try your best to and that’s what matters xxxxx

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Big love to you.
And to speak to your self doubt: can you manage a degree with your conditions and running a house?
Maybe. Maybe not. But you can motherfuckingwell try your best to and that’s what matters xxxxx
Thank you dear Nonah 🧡

Yeah I’m going to give it my best shot - fingers crossed I’ll make it. I’ll be ok and back to studying tomorrow but I haven’t shed a tear for anything in 6 months (meds related) and I needed a massive release I think 🤔

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Me rail
I’ve been having hot flushes and a terrible visit from Aunt Flo, it also gives me acid reflux. Christ alive I’ve fukced up taking my acid-causing meds on top of having reflux, I don’t know how I don’t have a visible hole in my chest. I’ve had two lots of gaviscon extra and it’s hardly calmed it, it’s been two hours 🥵. I’m actually hungry too but daren’t eat.

• Sad
  • Heart
Me rail
I’ve been having hot flushes and a terrible visit from Aunt Flo, it also gives me acid reflux. Christ alive I’ve fukced up taking my acid-causing meds on top of having reflux, I don’t know how I don’t have a visible hole in my chest. I’ve had two lots of gaviscon extra and it’s hardly calmed it, it’s been two hours 🥵. I’m actually hungry too but daren’t eat.
Something carby like toast or plain biscuit might help by soaking up the acid?

• Heart
I’ve just had a tentative sip of milk. Walking round helps, but that’s just robbing Peter to pay Paul for me 😰

• Heart
Thanks, the milk wasn't going brilliant, but I’ve gone mad and eaten a cracker. i swear it was getting so bad my eyes were hurting.

• Heart
  • Sad
Is the reflux due to peri, do you think?

Asking because of me running around the house eructating

• Heart
Is the reflux due to peri, do you think?

Asking because of me running around the house eructating
The reflux has become a part of periods now, and this period has been rough. It ended then came back a day later, worse than before with its friend, the reflux demon!
had some more gaviscon and letting that settle before attempting bedtime

• Sad
Reactions: 10
The reflux has become a part of periods now, and this period has been rough. It ended then came back a day later, worse than before with its friend, the reflux demon!
had some more gaviscon and letting that settle before attempting bedtime
You poor thing. My body feels like a foreign country at the moment, and I really feel for you with your ME as well. I'm certainly not going to offer you the gentle hugs of a certain MechMouse on Bex's thread, but I offer Tattle-mate good wishes.

And one of my fave cat photos
1000001856.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 15
You poor thing. My body feels like a foreign country at the moment, and I really feel for you with your ME as well. I'm certainly not going to offer you the gentle hugs of a certain MechMouse on Bex's thread, but I offer Tattle-mate good wishes.

And one of my fave cat photos
View attachment 2998911
Thanks woohy! Hotescat has decided to help me by finally bleeping off to his own room, so it’s nice to see some voids.
Ive been in an ME crash for a month or two now, and I’m in the process of changing GP 🙄 so this is moving up the list of things to see the new GP about…
argh! I just remembered I had another migraine two days ado and I thought I was being clever catching it early with 3 aspirin. No wonder my stomach has dissolved.

• Heart
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.