Food and Drink #52

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t like the idea of them, they must affect other animals too
Can confirm from my dad's garden that birds, hedgehogs and squirrels definitely weren't bothered by it at all (I think he would have quite liked to deter the squirrels as well if possible).

Reactions: 6
Good point with the water. I keep a spray bottle close by for when one of mine does something like scratching the couch. They hate it, I don't even need to use it now just pick it up and they stop.
I've tried this to stop Dolly climbing up the curtains but she doesn't seem to notice the water on her 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Paging @rage naan !!! Paging @rage naan !!!

I saw Batman Suit Man today at the Tron, looking particularly florid, and sporting a new Heart of Midlothian tattoo...on his face!!

He looked happy tho, so that's nice.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Chili powder where? Same with the 🦁💩

sorry, I’m not familiar with deterring cats. Does the cat poo and chilli powder go on my plants?
Mostly, the pissy arsed one doesn’t sniff the plants or anything, he just walks up and pisses on them! I’m not sure how much of a deterrent all of this will be 😭
Olbas oil soaked on used tea bags

• Wow
Reactions: 10
I mix a bottle of peppermint essential oil, and one of eucalyptus, from Home Bargains (£1.99 each) into a spray bottle filled with vegetable oil, and use it to skoosh the edge of the flower beds, and along the front gate where the cats come in, and it seems to work.

I don't make it too strong in case it nips little paws.

• Heart
I mix a bottle of peppermint essential oil, and one of eucalyptus, from Home Bargains (£1.99 each) into a spray bottle filled with vegetable oil, and use it to skoosh the edge of the flower beds, and along the front gate where the cats come in, and it seems to work.

I don't make it too strong in case it nips little paws.
Peppermint is really toxic for cats, so if they lick it off their paws it could poison them. Most essential oils are dangerous to cats.

• Wow
  • Sad
Junior Horse modelling his new luxury anti-laminitis accommodation, for which he is not the slightest bit grateful! I had to stable him inside the field shelter today because he had sore feet this morning :( but my fencing guy turned up just before 9 to get everything finished off. Junior is out overnight with the others, feeling a LOT better, but now I have a big secure area all three can mooch around on together, away from the grass, which is just lethal here at the moment - one friend very sadly lost one of her ponies to it the weekend before last :( The two big strainer posts on the right are where we're going to extend the field shelter roof to. Senior Pony likes to stand where Junior is, even in the rain, plus if I put a gate on the far one as well, it's a nice small pen for working with the sheep when needed.

1716231395971.jpeg

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 19
Aww no. Why is the grass so deadly? And what can I do to duck its tit up?

• Haha
Aww no. Why is the grass so deadly? And what can I do to duck its tit up?
It's got unusually high amounts of sugar in it at the moment (hot sunny days, bit of rain overnight - ideal growing conditions) and so more insulin than usual is being produced in their systems to deal with it. This affects some horses more than others. Tiny Pony has a condition called PPID (commonly known as Cushings), which affects about 20% of horses and ponies over the age of 15, and it means they're more prone to laminitis. I suspect the other two have it as well and am going to get them tested this year, but my finances have taken a bashing sorting the fencing out (£1,300) and Senior Dog has incurred a vet bill that's going to be in the region of £400-£600 today thanks to some major dental work, so I need to replenish the savings account first!

The weather is due to break here on Wednesday, we go back to rain, cloudy days and lower temperatures, so that will reduce the sugar levels and he should be fine on it again.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I love learning here. And the late 70s told me to give horses sugar lumps. As I've only ever met around 4, I stopped carrying them. Glad I did.
I'll be honest horses scare me a bit. Too many years spent in football crowds .

• Heart
Reactions: 12
It's got unusually high amounts of sugar in it at the moment (hot sunny days, bit of rain overnight - ideal growing conditions) and so more insulin than usual is being produced in their systems to deal with it. This affects some horses more than others. Tiny Pony has a condition called PPID (commonly known as Cushings), which affects about 20% of horses and ponies over the age of 15, and it means they're more prone to laminitis. I suspect the other two have it as well and am going to get them tested this year, but my finances have taken a bashing sorting the fencing out (£1,300) and Senior Dog has incurred a vet bill that's going to be in the region of £400-£600 today thanks to some major dental work, so I need to replenish the savings account first!

The weather is due to break here on Wednesday, we go back to rain, cloudy days and lower temperatures, so that will reduce the sugar levels and he should be fine on it again.
I used to look after an elderly dog with Cushings. She was barrel shaped and balding.

• Heart
@MaineCoonMama has Susan been activating any messengers? Because I, and more to the point, my housemate, are being harassed
Is there a worldwide Tuxedo Canal? I'm not sure. I'd ask the gal herself but she's currently doing happy paws/kneading dough on my arm and can't be distracted.
That cat is very close, isn't it? Tuxies aren't known for their brain capacity so he could just be a bit of an odd Mrs Mangel type who's just inquisitive.

• Haha
Is there a worldwide Tuxedo Canal? I'm not sure. I'd ask the gal herself but she's currently doing happy paws/kneading dough on my arm and can't be distracted.
That cat is very close, isn't it? Tuxies aren't known for their brain capacity so he could just be a bit of an odd Mrs Mangel type who's just inquisitive.
Not a tuxedo canal, no, more of a “special tux girls with powers” coven.

To be fair I took that pic thru the window and cropped it. I feel like the people who lived here before entertained her, she has the air of ownership. Like when you get a holiday apartment and the cat comes in and sits on the couch coz the last people let it.

• Heart
I don't think the Ginger Monster is online, but I'm convinced there's a cat snooker club he goes to somewhere nearby. He's probably a massive pain in the arse in there and gets temporary bans on a semi-regular basis. (Sadly he is the local cat bully. It's embarrassing.)

• Haha
  • Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.