Food and Drink #52

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
He (Mr Laz) is hearing the messages loud and clear and considers himself well and truly told.
We’ve removed the most damaged plants (all my plants are in pots, as I’m in a very typical Liverpool terraced house with a concrete yard).
We’ve put them in the front garden, and I’ll try to get some new soil, wash the roots and repot them; will order 🦁💩 and have chucked all the cat food and licky sticks in the bin.

we have a large lavender plant which one of the cats lies in. 🫣

I’m definitely not enough of a cat person to have my own. I just about accept them, I’m not a cat lover by any stretch of the imagination. I have too many nice things to risk a cat using my belongings as a scratching post, too.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Laz, best way to keep cats out the garden? Get your own! They are using your place as there isn't a cat owning the space. Not the answer you wanted...
Any cat I've had loves lavender, one we had as kids used to sleep in mum's lavender plants all day. The current cat goes a bit nuts when I put fresh bedding on, the smell is like cat nip to her.
This has not worked for us 😂 We have a regular visitor from down the road who comes round every day. We don’t have a catflap so one summer he just started coming in and helping himself to food and the occasional cuddle.
We have two other regular visitors who don’t come in the house but sometimes pop round to hang out with my two when they’re in the garden. A few years ago we had neighbours who got a black kitten who latched on to my boy cat who is also black and followed him everywhere. It was adorable. They moved out sadly or else it might have been a beautiful friendship!

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Cats be catting, ain't tit no cat can do about it. DAMN.
Eta my history of cats in my life. Part 1 (I won't bore you)
Born into a family that already had a best in show blue Peter cat. Prussia blue or something called smokey. A rescue. Very intelligent used to walk along the sofa hitting people on the head when my dad said it's time to leave
Portrait of my brothers and the cat and badges up.
Coming soon... my simpleton cat bandit that bucked the trend.....

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Some people think it's mean that I don't allow my cats to go outside but really, these days it's the best way to have them. I love cats but they do so much damage to wildlife and I'd be mortified if Susan just walked into someone's house and took over. (She's very bossy and over-friendly, that is totally something she would do.)

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Some people think it's mean that I don't allow my cats to go outside but really, these days it's the best way to have them. I love cats but they do so much damage to wildlife and I'd be mortified if Susan just walked into someone's house and took over. (She's very bossy and over-friendly, that is totally something she would do.)
Mine are indoor only too. My OH built me a catio so they can go out on my little balcony and stay safe. They seem to like their territory because they never bolt for the front door. I’d be worried sick if they were outdoor cats.

It really bothers me that the amount of rescue cats that have ‘need a garden’ in their bio, as it’s stopping cats finding happy homes. I’ve even seen indoor cats looking for rehoming with need a garden. It’s ridiculous. Especially in a city.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
He (Mr Laz) is hearing the messages loud and clear and considers himself well and truly told.
We’ve removed the most damaged plants (all my plants are in pots, as I’m in a very typical Liverpool terraced house with a concrete yard).
We’ve put them in the front garden, and I’ll try to get some new soil, wash the roots and repot them; will order 🦁💩 and have chucked all the cat food and licky sticks in the bin.

I’m definitely not enough of a cat person to have my own. I just about accept them, I’m not a cat lover by any stretch of the imagination. I have too many nice things to risk a cat using my belongings as a scratching post, too.
Oh just do what my mum does- chilli powder and bang on the window.
which is also what I’ll end up doing if this lad keeps coming back and looking at my housemate 🙄who doesn’t like other cats.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Oh just do what my mum does- chilli powder and bang on the window.
which is also what I’ll end up doing if this lad keeps coming back and looking at my housemate 🙄who doesn’t like other cats.
Chili powder where? Same with the 🦁💩

sorry, I’m not familiar with deterring cats. Does the cat poo and chilli powder go on my plants?
Mostly, the pissy arsed one doesn’t sniff the plants or anything, he just walks up and pisses on them! I’m not sure how much of a deterrent all of this will be 😭

• Sad
Reactions: 6
They don’t like the smell, so if you put it around the plant, on the soil, it will deter them from coming close enough to do their business. Also if you chase them they give up and bother someone else. They don’t need the hassle when there’s a whole street to bother.

• Heart
Reactions: 7

Well done Laz and Mr Laz. Good to be on the same page on something like this.
---
I have the same concerns about cats and wildlife MCM.

In fact, my dad (who I dissed earlier) refused to have cats because of the garden birds.

• Heart
Laz, best way to keep cats out the garden? Get your own! They are using your place as there isn't a cat owning the space. Not the answer you wanted...
Any cat I've had loves lavender, one we had as kids used to sleep in mum's lavender plants all day. The current cat goes a bit nuts when I put fresh bedding on, the smell is like cat nip to her.
Doesn't work- Bettycat1 was a tortie terror, even scared off the local bully cat so that was sorted. Didn't stop assorted Toms pissing up my front door whenever her back was turned!

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Tom cat. Constant squirting with a soaker of something they hate, or electric fence. Neither will work long term if ladies are around .

Reactions: 8
PLEASE do not use chilli, cats don't understand and can seriously hurt themselves if it gets in their eyes.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 14
Tom cat. Constant squirting with a soaker of something they hate, or electric fence. Neither will work long term if ladies are around .
Good point with the water. I keep a spray bottle close by for when one of mine does something like scratching the couch. They hate it, I don't even need to use it now just pick it up and they stop.

Chili powder where? Same with the 🦁💩

sorry, I’m not familiar with deterring cats. Does the cat poo and chilli powder go on my plants?
Mostly, the pissy arsed one doesn’t sniff the plants or anything, he just walks up and pisses on them! I’m not sure how much of a deterrent all of this will be 😭
There's also the ultrasonic cat repeller option, which my dad used to keep wandering cats away from his bird feeders. We used to visit with our cats, can confirm that cats definitely swerve when they come within range - not in an "ow that hurts" way, more a puzzled WTF? way

I didn’t know the chilli was dangerous!!!!
I’ve never really needed to repel a cat. Maybe start with lemons.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
There's also the ultrasonic cat repeller option, which my dad used to keep wandering cats away from his bird feeders. We used to visit with our cats, can confirm that cats definitely swerve when they come within range - not in an "ow that hurts" way, more a puzzled WTF? way
The people next door to me had one of these. It didn't work. The best way I've found to keep cats off bird feeders is to place the feeders in a spiky tree or bush - holly is ideal - that cats don't like going up.

My son can hear those, hates them!

• Sad
  • Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.