Food and Drink #35

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is so sweet thank you for sharing! ❤

No ghosts visited last night! I fell asleep listening to celebrity memoir club (thank you @Vanelope lol - I need to talk to you about the Leandra episode cos yikes!!) and woke up at 2am freezing, so came up and managed to sleep through thank god. The podcast is narrated by two hyperactive millennial women so maybe they scared them off. Toddler still sweetly asleep next to me now! 😱
I think it was me who mentioned CMBC!

Is it Facturday?! I was convinced it was Friday today!

This is my current view:
View attachment 1761260

and the little pudding bowl-shaped mountain you can just see between two thatched umbrellas has a very sad story attached to it.

Le Morne Brabant is a peninsula on the island of Mauritius with a 550m lump of basalt on it, it's now a UNESCO world heritage site. Mauritius was occupied by many different nations and was a stopover point on slavers' routes from the east, but if a slave could escape and make it to Le Morne, they could live there freely and it became home to a large number of escapees. In 1834 the British in charge of the island abolished slavery here and the governor and the chief of police came to Le Morne to tell all the former slaves they had the freedom of the whole island - but many of the slaves seeing them approach thought they were going to be re-enslaved and instead chose to climb to the top and throw themselves onto the rocks below.
It's just so beautiful - my friend round the corner went to Mauritius for half term and spent a lot of the time watching a nest of turtle eggs - they hatched the day she got back to the UK.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
@heretoreaditall2019 - if you have any ghosts/energy hanging around, doesn't mean they are bad or scary in any way. Sometimes it helps you feel more settled if you change your thinking and in your mind 'make friends' with the ghosts, they could just be hanging around making sure you're all safe 😊. @Falkor - love the lion visualisation, that's a brilliant way to do it!

I saw this on fb and immediately pinched it for here -

FB_IMG_1669454836285.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
I think it was me who mentioned CMBC!

It's just so beautiful - my friend round the corner went to Mauritius for half term and spent a lot of the time watching a nest of turtle eggs - they hatched the day she got back to the UK.
Omg I’m so so sorry dear heart! Pls tell me all your thoughts on the Leandra Medine episode? 😳😂 did you find that cutting room floor podcast?? It appears to be behind a paywall and I’m not sure if it’s worth paying for it when apparently they were both problematic trash and it’s been written about so extensively? Like surely it can’t get worse than the write ups??

ETA - also are you a CMBC patreon sub? I wanna know the tea about working at MR 😂

Reactions: 8
I really enjoyed the Leandra Medine episode. They did talk about it a bit more on the Patreon - as I recall Ashley worked there and got fired - they bullied her and kept telling her her work was under par for ages but wouldn't explain what she had to do to improve - and made things up about her. LM only took on women who had been to her school as interns. I'll have to have a re-listen.

Have you heard the terrible take-down of Lena Dunham followed by Caroline Calloway defending her eps yet?

I think recent episodes haven't been as funny as the earlier ones on the whole (sad, because I love Clashley). I think they are second guessing themselves as they are becoming more popular and seeing the podcast as a 'job' and a business that they have to grow rather than having fun with it and gassing with their mate.

There was an incident the other day when they were moaning about the Taylor Swift ticket sales and some swifties dug up an old tweet of Claire's where she used the N word (there was a meme about Drake being the type...) and Claire has done a full apology and is now taking a few weeks off. All very unfortunate.

@heretoreaditall2019 - sorry I added loads after first posting.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I really enjoyed the Leandra Medine episode. They did talk about it a bit more on the Patreon - as I recall Ashley worked there and got fired - they bullied her and kept telling her her work was under par for ages but wouldn't explain what she had to do to improve - and made things up about her. LM only took on women who had been to her school as interns. I'll have to have a re-listen.

Have you heard the terrible take-down of Lena Dunham followed by Caroline Calloway defending her eps yet?
Is that the CMB episode on her? I loved what they said about LM + LD in LM’s episode about how their books have no value to society it’s just positioning themselves as geniuses so they can say they too are published authors at dinner parties! So spot on! I’m off on my ✨debut✨ big mum adventure out the house so I’m now listening to the LD episode thank you! ❤

How do I find the CC episodes for afters pls 👀 isn’t she a scammer/been cancelled too? I feel like there’s links with her and poss the weird skincare world like Sali Hughes et al?

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I'm currently stuck under a cat but I'll try and find a link to the CC episode - I think she offered to come on the pod and defend Lena's book so it would be a couple of eps later than the Lena Dunham one.

Caroline Calloway is/was a scammer - she got a book deal based on her instagram captions and then never wrote the book and also it turned out that her friend wrote most of the captions. Then she sold tickets for events but the events never happened or if they did happen people just got given mason jars and dead flowers or something. She then started selling 'snake oil' which was meant to be her own blend of amazing things that you could use on your skin and hair - but hardly anyone who paid got a bottle and those who did got bottles with hair in :sick: . She used to take her squish-faced cat Matisse out to parties - it's possible she drugged him. She claimed to be addicted to Adderall. She's obsessed with posh England - Oxford and Cambridge and Balls. Then she had a lot of 'I'm leaving New York' parties which were just randoms coming over and sitting on the floor of her epically messy apartment and eating salad and drinking warm wine out of the bottle because she didn't have any glasses. Then she tried to sublet to Rachel Rabbit White but it turned out she hadn't paid the rent for about 5 years so RRW only lived there for a day or something (though she did do some magic spells there). CC was desperately obsessed with Cat Marnell who appears ambivalent about her.

Where are you going? Are you taking the baby?

EDIT - @heretoreaditall2019 The Caroline Calloway defending Lena Dunham one is the one directly after the Lena Dunham one - 6th July 2021 (not a Patreon only episode).

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
I'm currently stuck under a cat but I'll try and find a link to the CC episode - I think she offered to come on the pod and defend Lena's book so it would be a couple of eps later than the Lena Dunham one.

Caroline Calloway is/was a scammer - she got a book deal based on her instagram captions and then never wrote the book and also it turned out that her friend wrote most of the captions. Then she sold tickets for events but the events never happened or if they did happen people just got given mason jars and dead flowers or something. She then started selling 'snake oil' which was meant to be her own blend of amazing things that you could use on your skin and hair - but hardly anyone who paid got a bottle and those who did got bottles with hair in :sick: . She used to take her squish-faced cat Matisse out to parties - it's possible she drugged him. She claimed to be addicted to Adderall. She's obsessed with posh England - Oxford and Cambridge and Balls. Then she had a lot of 'I'm leaving New York' parties which were just randoms coming over and sitting on the floor of her epically messy apartment and eating salad and drinking warm wine out of the bottle because she didn't have any glasses. Then she tried to sublet to Rachel Rabbit White but it turned out she hadn't paid the rent for about 5 years so RRW only lived there for a day or something (though she did do some magic spells there). CC was desperately obsessed with Cat Marnell who appears ambivalent about her.

EDIT - @heretoreaditall2019 The Caroline Calloway defending Lena Dunham one is the one directly after the Lena Dunham one - 6th July 2021 (not a Patreon only episode).
Ah god, I remember reading about Caroline Calloway years ago and it was such a mad story. Then I'm sure the friend who had been her ghostwriter (who was the one who first called her out) had some kind of drama of her own too, but I can't remember the details.

It's so weird, when I read about that influencing as we know it was still kind of in its infancy. I was never interested in following influencers on Insta, so I was reading about this huge scandal all the time thinking "...but what is she famous for?" which made me feel about a million years old.

Reactions: 12
What is the name of the podcast with the lens Dunham thing?

Reactions: 7
Hello all you lovely mendacious ninnies. I’ve been trying to catch up a bit and not doing all that well at it, but love to you all for health things, work things and latterly ghost and ghoulie things,

I’m so rubbish, I pop back every so often, intent on keeping up and then failing miserably to have anything to contribute.

Sorry, I’ve had a bad MH patch for a while. Lots of boring SH and suicide ideation and trying really hard to tank my amazing relationship with a thoroughly decent man, because why wouldn’t I do something so stupid. Things are still shocking, but with added guilt, and I have no idea how to turn it around. It’s like I learned nothing in therapy, goddamit. I should be good, my job is interesting for the 1st time in years and I am respected and heading places if I want. My partner is a superstar. My daughter is becoming quite the young woman. Instead I am a 44 year old with the emotional responses of angsty child, unhealthy, exhausted all the time, driven all my friends away through an inability to communicate with them and miserable as sin (except when faking it at work. I cannot seem to shape up and I’ve been ill the last few days, so able to catch up on Tattle (good), and contemplate what I am doing to myself (bad) and now I am just mithering here too. Soz, I probs should delete this, this is why I don’t post, because none of you need to hear this either, I just need to sort my tit out like I have before (but it is very tiring).

• Heart
Reactions: 35
lots of love, @Flumps - I empathise.

Not sure if we've talked about this already (and sorry if this a bleeping obvious thing to say) but Menopause can do terrible things to your mental heath, are you on any kind of HRT?

What does SH stand for?

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Hello all you lovely mendacious ninnies. I’ve been trying to catch up a bit and not doing all that well at it, but love to you all for health things, work things and latterly ghost and ghoulie things,

I’m so rubbish, I pop back every so often, intent on keeping up and then failing miserably to have anything to contribute.

Sorry, I’ve had a bad MH patch for a while. Lots of boring SH and suicide ideation and trying really hard to tank my amazing relationship with a thoroughly decent man, because why wouldn’t I do something so stupid. Things are still shocking, but with added guilt, and I have no idea how to turn it around. It’s like I learned nothing in therapy, goddamit. I should be good, my job is interesting for the 1st time in years and I am respected and heading places if I want. My partner is a superstar. My daughter is becoming quite the young woman. Instead I am a 44 year old with the emotional responses of angsty child, unhealthy, exhausted all the time, driven all my friends away through an inability to communicate with them and miserable as sin (except when faking it at work. I cannot seem to shape up and I’ve been ill the last few days, so able to catch up on Tattle (good), and contemplate what I am doing to myself (bad) and now I am just mithering here too. Soz, I probs should delete this, this is why I don’t post, because none of you need to hear this either, I just need to sort my tit out like I have before (but it is very tiring).
You’re not rubbish ❤
I’m so sorry to hear you’re having such a hard time. Please, please don’t blame yourself. From what you’ve told us, you’ve been through a lot in the last few years. It’s understandable.

I can relate to so much of what you said, particularly the self-destructive things (I don’t know if that’s how it is for you though). It’s so frustrating. I know it comes from being depressed, but I just get annoyed with myself, I should know better.

I can’t articulate properly what I want to say, but just please don’t feel ashamed of how you feel. You deserve to take care of yourself, and you do deserve all the good things in your life.

Also, please don’t feel the need to respond, and if you do delete your post, I will delete my reply x

• Heart
Reactions: 19

Omg thank you for this super comprehensive overview, I also love the Cat Marnell reference - she’s one of my problematic favs, she’s an awful rich girl but she’s never denied being awful or rich. She shares some recovery content on Insta now so hoping she’s in a better place tbh, v excited for her next book though especially as it’s fiction I hope she makes it chaotic af. The CC story is WILD and a mess thank you for typing all of that out - it’s the very next ep after so will enjoy listening to these tonight thank you! I love this sort of content so thank you so much ❤

Re going out - no it’s just me which is why it’s so rare! She’s well into her 2s and I’ve never gone out on the weekend or an evening by myself 😳 but today is that day 💅🏻

• Heart
Reactions: 15
lots of love, @Flumps - I empathise.

Not sure if we've talked about this already (and sorry if this a bleeping obvious thing to say) but Menopause can do terrible things to your mental heath, are you on any kind of HRT?

What does SH stand for?
SH=Self harm. Sorry don’t even like typing it out, is a very bad habit.

No, I don’t know if I am there yet (c Sali Hughes) but I am starting to think it’s a probability that I am, though other than extreme tiredness and the MH stuff I don’t have any physical symptoms. I did try and make a GP appt this week to discuss but there were none available online and I couldn’t bring myself to call, like the dafty I am atm. I think it might be a good shout though x

@Sideboard Bob - someone just getting it is a huge thing, yes all the self-destructive, me. Rotten isn’t it? Hope you’re ok xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 23
7937109A-92BD-4722-A8FA-7D26984D13F8.jpeg
The surprise cat babies are babying well, they’re weaning and using the loo. Super derpy the tabby ones eyes look both ways and she always sticks her tongue out or looks at you with an open mouth.

👁👄👁
9E0C761E-E455-4296-AF55-B6C46F1C661E.jpeg

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 37
SH=Self harm. Sorry don’t even like typing it out, is a very bad habit.

No, I don’t know if I am there yet (c Sali Hughes) but I am starting to think it’s a probability that I am, though other than extreme tiredness and the MH stuff I don’t have any physical symptoms. I did try and make a GP appt this week to discuss but there were none available online and I couldn’t bring myself to call, like the dafty I am atm. I think it might be a good shout though x

@Sideboard Bob - someone just getting it is a huge thing, yes all the self-destructive, me. Rotten isn’t it? Hope you’re ok xxx
no matter how much therapy you’ve had, maybe you’re feeling like an angsty child because you’re hurt and need to have that acknowledged and made to feel secure? Just my mithering

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.