Food and Drink #33

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Lots of love SideyT, hope you feel more settled soon. Well done for getting the WiFi sitch all sorted and remember there is always someone around these parts if you want to chat.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Hi Sidey T, at least you’ve got us dickwads with you in your phone. It’s always a panic when you’re on a one-way ticket somewhere, all you have to do is wait it out and get through it.
im looking forward to trip advisor style reviews of the food and beverage offerings. They let you vape/smoke, right???

• Heart
Reactions: 22
You'll get through it, TS. Good on you for taking the step - that's never easy.

What are everyone's go-tos for avoiding boredom in situations like a prolonged hospital stay (or ahem being stuck in a village of 200 people with constant rain and very little to do for one more week ahem)?

• Heart
Reactions: 20
When I lived abroad in the 90s and it rained all the time and we were poor, my friends had a big hardback book and if you went round to their flat, you had to write in the book, which was a proto-Urban Dictionary.

They had pages of alternative words for boobs, bums and bellends.

So there's an idea.

I've always been very inspired by Big Brother where they played Socks in the Bin and have played that with my then-toddler and inebriated adults (not at the same time) in holiday accommodation all over the place. You roll up a pair of socks into a ball and lob it at the bin. You can move the bin to increase the challenge and even do trick shots off the wall and furniture without making too much noise or doing too much damage. Hours of fun.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Thanks lads ❤ I had burnt toast for dinner and the WiFi doesn't work in my room, only the communal areas so it's going great so far.

Hotes they've banned smoking but we can vape. The indignity!

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 30
Thanks lads ❤ I had burnt toast for dinner and the WiFi doesn't work in my room, only the communal areas so it's going great so far.

Hotes they've banned smoking but we can vape. The indignity!
That is tit about the wifi :(
Can we do an unoffical poll? I love burnt toast, especially with martmite but really with anything.

What would people prefer? burnt toast or undercooked? (obviously I am the former)

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Can we do an unoffical poll? I love burnt toast, especially with martmite but really with anything.

What would people prefer? burnt toast or undercooked? (obviously I am the former)
Burnt here too. None of that vaguely warmed bread for me.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Frauen I have managed to make another dinner so bad that Mr Beacon couldn't even finish it, and he's a greedy bastard 😬 it was even a Hello Fresh (sorry we are posh wankers) so I have no excuse. I fear I have been infected by some kind of Jack brain parasite.
Also sympathy to the folk who have had COVID and flu jabs at the same time. I doubled dropped mine last week and felt rubbish for three days

• Heart
Reactions: 19

Undercooked. I like it lightly toasted at the best of times.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 14
You'll get through it, TS. Good on you for taking the step - that's never easy.

What are everyone's go-tos for avoiding boredom in situations like a prolonged hospital stay (or ahem being stuck in a village of 200 people with constant rain and very little to do for one more week ahem)?
+ maternity leave to that list, it’s how I became fully immersed in the Bravoverse 😳

Housewives is great as there is just SO much content and it’s sort of nostalgic as you see them move thru the mid 2000s to current day, although content warning there is a suicide in S3 that they literally say 3 words aboutand one cast member struggles with addiction continuously so may not be the best headspace to get into. New York is brilliant though.

Also on the nostalgia / reality front - the girls next door podcast (girls next level) and the les deux take on it, it’s about life in the playboy mansion for the poor girlfriends of then 80 year old Hugh Hefner.

I’ve always found reading really hard in hospital but if you enjoy it let us know and we can list books? Also really liked Suduko apps - got into that majorly into that in the newborn sleep deprivation era.

Reactions: 11
I can tolerate barely toasted to dark brown. It’s the bread, Mick, I just love it.
Mini rice cooker is here, first trial of plain basmati has gone well. Looking forward to it being very easy to clean.
Traumy I’m aghast on your behalf, they’re going to have to really turn things round if they want even a 3 green dot level review

• Heart
Reactions: 21

Under cooked or lightly done for me, I’ll pass on the builders tea thanks

Reactions: 9
Well travelled bunch that you are, I've got two days left in New Orleans. Where must I eat?

I've tried Pralines at Loretta's, had boudin, tried beignets at Cafe Du Monde (I know there are better elsewhere but it was my first day 😂).

My budget (and appetite) are quite small so not looking for big fancy meals. I'm not crazy about anything too spicy. Any tips welcome 🙂
So I hope I catch you in time and you have a full day tomorrow. If you do, try to get a reservation at Commander’s Palace for lunch. Call them and tell them it’s your last day, I’m sure they’ll fit you in. The 2 course lunch special is really good value (under $20) and they do 25 cent martinis at lunch (including cosmopolitans) and it’s a proper old school creole restaurant so it’s an experience too. If you’re reading right now, oyster happy hour starts at Luke at 3pm, all cocktails beer and wine are half off and a dozen oysters are around $12 (I think? Not much more than that, def). Nice restaurant downtown, and you can also sit at the bar.

If you fancy getting out of the Quarter/Downtown you can get the Canal streetcar (the red one) or a Lyft/Uber to Parkway tavern in mid city on Bayou St John and eat a poboy that will fill you up- two of you could even split it. You can have a walk along the bayou to city park while you’re there-its not far.

Now I REALLY want oysters and some Commander’s gumbo! 😂 😭

ETA speaking of New Orleans and one everyone can join in on, AMC have made a show of Interview With The Vampire and it is GREAT!!! Highly recommended, have now seen the first five. It looks absolutely beautiful too, they did an amazing job on it.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Sending love and positive energy Sidey T
752218BE-BAEB-45C3-BB7A-D46875F94665.jpeg

is there anyway to get round the lack of room WiFi like mobile data or sneaking in a WiFi extender ( or asking nicely if you can use one )

On the topic of toast , undercooked over burnt anytime . ideal toast should have a nice golden crust but still be fluffy inside . Sorted food reviewed a £260 toaster this week and I’ve been lusting after it since

my go to boredom is games on my phone ( current rotation is idle Mafia and Duskwood) or reading trashy books on kindle unlimited. I find it hard to concentrate on “ proper” books when I’m not in a great headspace but there’s something comforting about reading formulaic and interchangeable crime novels .

my tea tonight is deconstructed nachos . By which I mean a bag of Doritos and a couple of babybels. My “ safe” food list has now reduced to crisps, babybels, toast, and banana based smoothies 🤦‍♀️ My beloved poached eggs are off the menu as my body has suddenly decided that after weeks of them being the best food ever, that actually they are disgusting and should induce nausea ( or worse) on sight 🤦‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Cheers @kachoochoo for the recap. I'm just a nosy bean.

I've been watching The Watcher on Netflix, it's a weird one. Didn't get good reviews but I found it both intriguing and infuriating. A lot of shouting at the characters for being idiots or bastards by me :ROFLMAO:
The actual story (not the embellished show one) is actually really interesting! I remember reading it a couple of years ago

In the show, I couldn’t believe one married couple could possibly own that much neutral-toned clothing and kept getting stressed out by them drinking red wine out of massive glasses while dressed head to toe in palettes of beige and cream.

• Haha
The actual story (not the embellished show one) is actually really interesting! I remember reading it a couple of years ago

In the show, I couldn’t believe one married couple could possibly own that much neutral-toned clothing and kept getting stressed out by them drinking red wine out of massive glasses while dressed head to toe in palettes of beige and cream.

I had a good deep dive after I finished the series, it's as mysterious as the program itself! Plus, I had a good nose around Westfield, NJ, on Google Streetview! :ROFLMAO: They're all such pretty houses! I'd go full Dennis Reynolds in those type of suburbs though.

I had to laugh every time Bobby C talked about staining the white marble with his amazing red sauce, omfg. Really?! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seriously, I would have flipped the duck out of that beautiful house by the end of episode 1, regardless of the weird letters, would've noped right out of there with those freaks for neighbours!

• Haha

Would prefer hot bread with lots of butter. Hate burnt bits.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.