Food and Drink #33

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
They were Voles and rabbits who clearly lived in the woods the clues were all around!

Pennsylvania was mainly woodland and named for William Penn, a prominent Quaker
This is blowing my mind! I love this stuff so much!

I can’t explain it very well because I’m a bit tipsy but one of my favourite word connections is that “Argentina”, the country name, comes from the Spanish word for silver (aregnto), and somehow there is a Latin connection, where this also ties into the French word for money, “argent”

• Heart
Reactions: 17

I can’t explain it very well because I’m a bit tipsy but one of my favourite word connections is that “Argentina”, the country name, comes from the Spanish word for silver (aregnto), and somehow there is a Latin connection, where this also ties into the French word for money, “argent”
They both have a Latin root, I think it’s argent. Edit it’s argentum
Romans got paid in salt which I think was Sal hence the word salary
Im sure we were discussing Latin on here somewhere the other day

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 22
They both have a Latin root, I think it’s argent. Edit it’s argentum
Romans got paid in salt which I think was Sal hence the word salary
Im sure we were discussing Latin on here somewhere the other day
FFS! why is it that when you learn these things, it’s like “OF COURSE!“.

I love that you know this. I know nothing about Latin, but I love etymology, and so much of it leads to Latin. A lot of Arabic too, as far as I know, from maths words.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I can only add 'non sum Pisces' to the Latin chat, which means 'I am not a fish'.

Handy if you ever meet a scholarly pelican, I guess.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 25
FFS! why is it that when you learn these things, it’s like “OF COURSE!“.

I love that you know this. I know nothing about Latin, but I love etymology, and so much of it leads to Latin. A lot of Arabic too, as far as I know, from maths words.
Some words are a mix of Latin and Greek and it makes my head hurt and my teeth itch. Like dyscalculia. It should be dysarithmos. Or Anticalculia.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
Some words are a mix of Latin and Greek and it makes my head hurt and my teeth itch. Like dyscalculia. It should be dysarithmos. Or Anticalculia.
Yes! I know all words are made up, but come on! Even I can see that’s wrong!

And I bet there was a real word kicking around for dyscalclia in the olden days. Bringing it back to our friend of the threads Pythagoras, there must have been some people who realised maths was a struggle in his day.

Does dyslexia make sense as a real word?

I can only add 'non sum Pisces' to the Latin chat, which means 'I am not a fish'.

Handy if you ever meet a scholarly pelican, I guess.
I think this is useful for all of us, all the time! Unless you’re a Pisces sign ♓ and it might get confusing.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I wonder if fish born under Pisces are the Billy Big Bollocks of the ocean et al because they're FULL fish, pals. 🤔
I 100% believe this. I bet all the ones we see in nature documentaries are the FULL Pisceses!

ETA another tune since it’s Saturday night. My fave mix of languages in a song. Underworld sampling some old guys talking aboutbeaucoup fish”

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
I wonder if fish born under Pisces are the Billy Big Bollocks of the ocean et al because they're FULL fish, pals. 🤔
They are known as Monroe’s. The most ever thing ever.

Sideboob, dyslexia makes sense although I don’t know why they spell it dys, it should be dis

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 18

Sideboob, dyslexia makes sense although I don’t know why they spell it dys, it should be dis
Lol, of course they are! I heard they’re originally from the island of Elevenerife.

C64CE4C5-3E5D-4BFF-A2F5-735172488840.png

oh no way! That’s amazing, but so cruel! I have dyslexia a bit and always find it so cruel that it’s hard it is to spell! 😂 The “dis” would definitely help things.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
Ooooh I love root word stuff! Have you guys read Stephen Fry's book Mythos?

He explains how a lot of the gods names have an influence on current words and phrases. The one that always stays with me is Kronos/Cronus (god of the Harvest/changing seasons). He's where we get the idea of chronology or the passing of time in a particular order.

There are loads more I'm forgetting but it's a cracking read if you like that sort of thing.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
There is a magnificent podcast called the History of English which starts off with the beginnings of Indo-European languages and early Latin and Romance languages, etc.
It's not dry or dusty and is endlessly fascinating. The host has a lovely voice, I finished the whole thing and am planning on starting again from the beginning. There are over two hundred episodes and you can dip in and out if you have a particular interest in Medieval English for example.

• Heart

Not quite. Argento is Latin. Silver in Spanish is plata, hence the river estuary in Argentina and Uruguay being Río de la Plata. This in turn led to one of Buenos Aires' most important football cluns being given the Spanglish name of River Plate.

Incidentally, there's not a clear consensus on where the name Spain comes from, as the original Roman term Hispania doesn't have an etymological basis in Latin. The most common theory is that it's a corruption of a Phoenician word meaning "land of rabbits" because apparently the Iberian peninsula had a shitload of rabbits all over the place back in the day.

• Wow
  • Heart
A very late Facturday.
Does anyone remember Bradley Walsh’s wife on Doctor Who?

View attachment 1671051

The actress who played her, Sharon D Clarke, also sang one of the most iconic early 90s dance moments, ”I wanna give you DEVOTION”

Sharon D Clarke is also known in this house as the voice of 100 in Numberblocks - has a great song.
And she won 3 Oliviers (not for that)

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
There is a magnificent podcast called the History of English which starts off with the beginnings of Indo-European languages and early Latin and Romance languages, etc.
It's not dry or dusty and is endlessly fascinating. The host has a lovely voice, I finished the whole thing and am planning on starting again from the beginning. There are over two hundred episodes and you can dip in and out if you have a particular interest in Medieval English for example.
But you speak Australian, MCC!

• Haha
Reactions: 20
I learn more from this thread than I did at school. I love Facturday.
Hope everyone is doing okay ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I love this thread! ❤ From bats, burgers (not that kind, stop tittering) to word origins in 2 pages. Fabulous.

I had an interesting symptom of the on-going lurgy yesterday called diplacusis. Due to completely blocked ears everything I heard had a robotic voice echo effect, especially my own voice! 🤖 It was funny, although I couldn't listen to music.

Son update: he's gone back to uni now. He was desperate to go, missing out on lectures and the social life. He walked to our local supermarket, to buy bolognese ingredients and batch cook freezer meals! I knew he was well enough then.

• Heart

I think it's that "dis" means "not" or "absence" as in disjointed or disinterested, whereas "dys" means "incorrect" or "wonky" as in dyslexia or dysfunctional

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
I can't decide whether to make salmon, roasties and broccoli or lasagne and (bag of) Caesar salad for dinner?
The salmon is less labour intensive but lasagne is proper autumn Sunday evening bliss.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.