Food and Drink #30

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
like, i don't mind spiders all that much, I'll leave the odd one scuttling about the ceiling and all that. our main complaint this time of year is that they don't earn their keep and eat up the flies like they're meant to

BUT

literally the worst experience of my life was when i pulled a box out from under a kitchen counter in my old flat and it seemed I'd disturbed a nest! 😱😱😱

all the fluffy nest stuff! hundreds of scuttling spiderbabies! angry spider parents! once I'd finished screaming, I'm not ashamed to say the hoover got them. I'm sorry, spider fans. it was all too much
I think at this point I would have to move house 😄 also spider fans must be an oxymoron surely?

• Haha
Reactions: 14
When the web thing happened a person I was with (who thought it was funny) had a fear of maggots. She was terrified of them landing on her.

I couldn’t understand because spiders move bleeping fast and run at you like devils but you can flick maggots away.

She said maggots indicate rot.

Phobias are so interesting.

(And we come back to trypophobia)
The only close up interaction I've had with maggots is when I was minding my grandmother's house a few years ago; there was a pot left on the counter that I just ignored as I didn't realise anything was in it. At the end of the week I happened to open it and I was like, oh, it's just rice. Dear reader, it was not "just rice". Had no clue what to do with a pot of maggots so I brought it outside and poured boiling water over them 😬 then chucked it in a ditch. Cleaned the pot multiple times and never told anyone. I still feel a bit weird if I look at rice cooking for too long.

Súiles being uncharacteristically cuddly today
Polish_20220824_115819495.jpg

and Missy being silly last night (muted as me and my old harold were deciding what film to watch)

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I'm gonna freak a bunch of you out so putting my spider story in spoilers,

I have false widows in my area, and 10/10 recommend one as a house guest. No lie. I had a little darling of one living in the top of my curtains, and she was the best organic pest control a vegan could ask for. This little, fat bottomed spidey took on everything. She kept her webs nice and tidy and clean, and never ventured far from it. I eventually became a scum landlord and evicted her after she wove an egg sac. She was stored safely in a plant pot with her baby sac in a safe place. I'm not that scummy.

I kinda love spiders, they're really interesting and incredible creatures. The eggs with legs stage of their hatching is so bloody weird!
It begins.

Got ambushed by a massive bastard in the corridor at work last night. Debated going back the way I came but settled on shrieking and running past it down to reception. Ended up with three of us stood at a safe distance watching a nurse trying to pick it up and deposit it outside whilst calling us all fannies and telling us they eat flies, big whoop. Another nurse stood around 15ft away remarked that she could see it clearly without her glasses and it was an abomination.

I do find spiders interesting and some are cute but in general, ew

In faintly entertaining news (to me at least) I just went down our local delivery office and the man at the front of the queue was holding what looked to be a kayak that he had painstakingly packaged up in cardboard. It was bigger than he was and he was stood ranting about how he wished he'd never bought it and the company had made him do this and maybe I'm just a bit delirious today but it was absolutely hilarious.

Oh my gosh Bird and Blend is amazing!
I’m more of a coffee person (sorry) but they do excellent tea.
The salted caramel lebkuchen is my favourite, I love their Mermaid matcha too (but I know it’s a marmite situation).
Has anyone been to Hebden tea company in York?
Was unaware of it and I spent a lot of my formative years in York, will have to check it out. Mermaid matcha also intrigues me, love matcha but I think a big part of that is the ritual of preparing it. Other big favourites of mine are Pu-Erh, Lapsang Souchong, and something called Snow Dragon which I think I got from a site called Nothing but Tea.

Also need to get some Genmaicha (going from memory here) which is green tea with puffed up brown rice in it and is wonderful. Tea is so calming and I could harp on it for ages. Won't turn down a cup of Yorkshire though and it's my go-to at work.

I'm gonna be skint the second my pay drops.

Anyway that's my tea-rail over (*eyes collection of Japanese tea bowls*)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 20
Lads today is a special day: it's my two year Tattleversary! I'm so grateful to have been accepted into such a wonderful and diverse group of mithering ninnies and to have witnessed so much appalling slop. Also I don't expect anybody to remember this but after my grandma died last February I mentioned getting a tattoo for her and after months of rescheduling due to me being unwell it finally happened today. I'm chuffed with how it turned out, she would've loved it.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
I am officially in love with OwlPup. He (or she?!) is BEAUTIFUL. Send for cuddle-os
I'm afraid that's NelliePup! Mine's a Westie, and she's decidedly rough looking 😂

My brother and SIL arrive tonight from Milan, and they were her original owners (and thinking about whether to take her to live with them in Italy). I'm expecting she'll be on her best behaviour for her "real parents" 🥴

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I'm afraid that's NelliePup! Mine's a Westie, and she's decidedly rough looking 😂

My brother and SIL arrive tonight from Milan, and they were her original owners (and thinking about whether to take her to live with them in Italy). I'm expecting she'll be on her best behaviour for her "real parents" 🥴
Ohh I failed there!! Absolutely love Westies though, my BFF has one and she is the most headstrong, gorgeous little nightmare of a dog 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I feel your pain on the students and the bonfire, Tunnel.

Our next door neighbour is renting her house out as a short term let and summer has been endless screaming children excited to be allowed to stay up all night cos they’re on holiday and drunken hen/stags up till all hours. I get the kids are on holiday obviously but it’s wearing when you live next door to it and every single week has been people on holiday.

I saw her dropping off fresh bedding there today and I got far more pleasure than I should have from seeing her do the scan of my body/fairly obvious pregnant stomach and visibly pale. I am a grumpy, petty, pregnant lady but I imagine a baby next door is not going to be great news for her business.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Apologies for mostly skipping the last few pages, I can only handle a small amount of spider talk 🤢

That’s really interesting. While it’s sad to see these places closed, it’s fascinating to see them derelict like that. There’s one right outside New Orleans that was hammered by Katrina and never reopened (it was built on a swamp in the first place which wasn’t the wisest move). Parts of Jurassic World were filmed there. It’s now full of wild boars moccasins and gators too

There’s a doc about it on Amazon prime called Closed for Storm we watched recently. Not a GREAT doc but interesting of that makes any sense whatsoever! Just over an or so hour long
Thanks for the Closed for Storm reminder. I’m a big fan of Jake/Bright Sun Films and I keep forgetting it’s available to watch in the UK now!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Well, call my agent and get me a book deal:

The other half of my beef bolognese from yesterday became chilli sort of carne tonight with a teaspoon of chilli powder and, the pièce de resistance was half a can of leftover baked beans.... with the sauce left on. 👌

Surely I can now claim this to be a culinary revolution and start my media career, no?

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Well, call my agent and get me a book deal:

The other half of my beef bolognese from yesterday became chilli sort of carne tonight with a teaspoon of chilli powder and, the pièce de resistance was half a can of leftover baked beans.... with the sauce left on. 👌

Surely I can now claim this to be a culinary revolution and start my media career, no?
Did it look enough like slop though?
I will do a "choose your own adventure"type thing (anyone remember these books? love them as a child in the mid/late 90s)
1.) If it didn't, turn around and try and unlearn how to cook
2.) If it did, harass a celebrity chef (or anyone else online really, or just the world generally) until you get your cookbook

• Haha
Reactions: 12
New thread here.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.