Food and Drink #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh hi.

Today was my nephew's 30th birthday, except that he died last year, just before his 29th.

So I've been on a scientifically calculated mind numbing but still going to work programme Wed night till now to avoid that hurt.

Normal systems of responsibility returning tomorrow.

~It will all be okay some time, probably soon~

• Heart
Reactions: 48
Dearest @Wooh, we can't go over it, we can't go under it, we just have to go through it - and it hurts, every time. There's a Jewish mourning ritual of lighting a special candle that will burn for 24 hours on the anniversary of a loved person's death, and it's one I felt very ambivalent about until someone told me what I should have realised on my own, it's not meant to make you feel better but just gives you a way of sitting with your grief and loss. I've done it for over 30 years now for one of my children and now feel as if it's helped me learn the shape of her loss in my life, which is difficult to put into words, but I can't imagine any other way of carrying it. I wish you long life and strength to carry what you need to.

• Heart
Reactions: 43
Dearest @Wooh, we can't go over it, we can't go under it, we just have to go through it - and it hurts, every time. There's a Jewish mourning ritual of lighting a special candle that will burn for 24 hours on the anniversary of a loved person's death, and it's one I felt very ambivalent about until someone told me what I should have realised on my own, it's not meant to make you feel better but just gives you a way of sitting with your grief and loss. I've done it for over 30 years now for one of my children and now feel as if it's helped me learn the shape of her loss in my life, which is difficult to put into words, but I can't imagine any other way of carrying it. I wish you long life and strength to carry what you need to.
Wooh, sending you thoughts from the other side of the world.

This is just beautiful-what an eloquent way of expressing the often inexpressible.
❤

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Oh hi.

Today was my nephew's 30th birthday, except that he died last year, just before his 29th.

So I've been on a scientifically calculated mind numbing but still going to work programme Wed night till now to avoid that hurt.

Normal systems of responsibility returning tomorrow.

~It will all be okay some time, probably soon~
Oh Wooh, I’m so so sorry. I don’t even know what to say, just please know we’re all thinking of you ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 28
On the topic of sheepos, my mum and I saw some (what Google later told us were) Valais Blacknose in a field once in Scotland. What astonishing creatures. They were so still that we honestly wondered if they were big soft toys. And the distance meant we couldn’t see any detail on their faces. We still talk about them to this day.

View attachment 1383478

ETA not my picture (sadly)
Check out the cost of these rare beasts

• Heart
Reactions: 11
The chaps on Test Match Special are having their facturday a day early and focusing on some true and some what I suspect are entirely fictional facts about pineapples.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
speaking of pettoes with odd names, I found this twitter account today called cats with interesting names. i think this one's my favourite

Screenshot_20220701-190239_Twitter.jpg

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 26
I’ve been to a Royal show 🔺 and saw lots of sheepos….amongst other animalos.

Apologies @Falkor I wasn’t paying a lot of attention to breeds but this one made me think of Badger:

View attachment 1382171

Then there was this sheep….I’m really sorry but it made me think of a cow in terms of its head 🐮🐑

View attachment 1382185

There were so many breeds/varieties of sheep:

View attachment 1382223

This one made me think of the sheep from the Usbourne books Farmyard Tales:
View attachment 1382224

The picture does not do justice as to how much of a unit this sheep was.
View attachment 1382225

I love these sheep - behind are some (sorry photo doesn’t show how much) that are so yellow in colour.
View attachment 1382226

I love the fringes on these two!
View attachment 1382227

Also pigs…..can we add pigs into the fold? Little Beds imaginatively named this one ‘Grunty’
View attachment 1382204
Those sheepos 😭
I got to see a goat friend the other week
5F6BA779-A9F4-45A7-A4F8-2030699F0732.jpeg

275AE1BD-E80C-4A16-9D45-A51E38D14202.jpeg

speaking of pettoes with odd names, I found this twitter account today called cats with interesting names. i think this one's my favourite

View attachment 1384237
I used to walk a spaniel called Andy, always made me laugh 😂

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 25
All my love dear @Wooh. @jordishaw is so right about finding a way to sit with grief and loss; until recently I've always been someone who has fought the "gaps" where someone should be, and isn't, and I know how exhausting that is. I hope you're taking care of yourself today ♥

View attachment 1384237
Our cat's called Amos, which is a stupid name for a cat. If we ever have another, I'm suggesting Poached Egg.

Screenshot 2022-07-01 at 22.11.46.png

Managed to get a photo of his one black leg today, which always makes me laugh.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
I’m having a “movie night” (lights low, wine, popcorn and a nice movie) and I’ve just realised it’s been 84 years two and an half years since I’ve been to a cinema.

What made me realise this is that I’m worried I’ve forgotten cinema etiquette. There was a crash scene in the film and without thinking I said out loud, “oh duck!”. Did anyone struggle to watch a film quietly being back in a cinema??

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I’m having a “movie night” (lights low, wine, popcorn and a nice movie) and I’ve just realised it’s been 84 years two and an half years since I’ve been to a cinema.

What made me realise this is that I’m worried I’ve forgotten cinema etiquette. There was a crash scene in the film and without thinking I said out loud, “oh duck!”. Did anyone struggle to watch a film quietly being back in a cinema??
Ergh, I hate cinemas, unless they're the fancy ones with comfy sofas. Absolute rip off regardless.

Movie nights in are the way baby. Myself and some mates enjoyed zoom movie nights over lockdown, where we'd all watch the same film in our respective homes whilst chatting tit on zoom. We've kept it up past lockdown now too. It's great, comfy AF, and we rotate who picks the film, so been watching all sorts! Turns out I LOVE the Rocky films! Addddddrien! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 20
I’ve not been to a cinema in maybe 6 years , because I find them a sensory nightmare with people rustling food wrappers, crunching unsuitable snacks, whispering to their mates, overly loud sound effects in triple stereo surround, sticky floors etc etc. add to that the ticket price, travel to get there, and overpriced snacks .

much prefer a movie night at home, particularly as so many films are available to rent or buy so close after release. unlimited snack refills, comfy seats, pants optional is a much better way to enjoy a film imo. Also I’m 39, if a film is longer than 60 minutes, I’m going to need a toilet break , and at home you can pause the film, instead of having to shuffle past other people then inevitably miss a key plot point while you are in the que for the loo

• Heart
Reactions: 17
@Orphan_Black and @BubbleDuck you both make such good points!

Orphy B, I love that you guys kept the zoom movies going, why wouldn’t you, it sounds like so much fun! I did do that once with with a friend during lockdown, and I loved it, we watched a film at the same time, texted at the funny parts then face-timed to chat about it after. Boring me-rail if I hadn’t got so depressed I would have kept it up, it’s such a nice thing to do

Bubbly D, omg yes! You’re selling the future of home cinema to me, I’m not even joking! I loved the Wolf Of Wall Street, but there’s no way I could have sat through three whole hours in the cinema. Totally understand the sensory aspect too. Any distractions can really take you out of the film.

The only ones I really loved on the big screen in recent years were the latest Star Wars* films, but thinking back I was lucky to see them at quiet showings weeks after they first came out, it meant calm, quiet screenings!

*Did anyone see Rogue One?? That was just AMAZING!

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.