Food and Drink #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think I've written before about losing weight, varying success of diets etc. but recently I've really come to realise that I'm stuck in a cycle of compulsive food behaviours. Thanks to reading about various fraus' experiences with NA/GA/AA etc. I reached out this week to a local meeting of Overeaters Anonymous. I just had a really nice chat on the phone with the contact person (? I don't even know what to call her) and have been given the details for a couple of Zoom meetings.

Thank (space) you to those fraus who speak about their experiences with 12 step programmes. ♥

• Heart
Reactions: 36
Oh do get directly to duck ST you fabulous, sparkling human!
May your day be filled with a truly wild selection of ice lollies and your body behave itself so you don't have to.
Much love to you 💞

@MaineCoonMama just been grunking the MT, do you have a Kindle or e-reader of some kind?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
View attachment 1385309
Morning ninnies👋🏼 It's Facturday so here's a good one..
44yrs ago today I was born. I'm currently enjoying a Bucks Fizz with my McDonalds breakfast because I'm a classy witch.
Have a lovely day and go well pals but now, duck off xoxo 💋
Happiest of Birthdays to you! 🥳

(I *might* have sent you a Birthday chaos as my fat fingers pinged this message mid-type. Wfk.)

Eta. It's all looking good so you'll have to create your own Birthday chaos. 😘

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
Sorry to interrupt but I had to tag @colouredlines and say omg dear heart I’m guessing your experience of adland was not great? It radicalised me x

Happy birthday ST X
I hated it and only lasted a few months. Long hours, awful atmosphere, so many self-important dickheads convinced that their jobs were essential to society. This was a couple of years after Mad Men, and everyone believed they were Don Draper.

There was this expectation that you'd come in really early, work through lunch, and leave really late, regardless of how much actual work you had to do - it was all about being seen to be there - and I was new and earning duck all, and I had nowhere near enough of a workload to justify being in the office 11 hours a day. I would make my then-boyfriend call me with fake emergencies so I could answer, "OH MY GOD, IT'S FLOODED?! I'LL BE RIGHT THERE!" and escape.

It didn't help that a lot of the clients were huge, morally questionable companies so I had to spend hours each day monitoring their Facebook pages for any comments that brought up ethical issues.

On the plus side, we did get endless freebies because media is such a circlejerk. I even went to a Madonna concert for free (it was tit though, she was doing all her new material, nobody wants that!).

ETA: and Happy Birthday ST, of course! Have a wonderful day 🎂

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I think I've written before about losing weight, varying success of diets etc. but recently I've really come to realise that I'm stuck in a cycle of compulsive food behaviours. Thanks to reading about various fraus' experiences with NA/GA/AA etc. I reached out this week to a local meeting of Overeaters Anonymous. I just had a really nice chat on the phone with the contact person (? I don't even know what to call her) and have been given the details for a couple of Zoom meetings.

Thank (space) you to those fraus who speak about their experiences with 12 step programmes. ♥
I think this might be something I need to consider, it would be great to know (if you feel comfortable sharing) if you find it useful. (Although just looking up my local group and it seems very religious 😶)

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Happy birthday @SweetTransvestite I hope you have a wonderful day dearheart ❤🍾

Just popping on to say that all was clear on the test front. Had my results in a letter last week and all good. I'm a lucky cow to have nothing wrong after leaving it so long and won't do that again!

Forever grateful to the support bra that is you lot

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I hated it and only lasted a few months. Long hours, awful atmosphere, so many self-important dickheads convinced that their jobs were essential to society. This was a couple of years after Mad Men, and everyone believed they were Don Draper.

There was this expectation that you'd come in really early, work through lunch, and leave really late, regardless of how much actual work you had to do - it was all about being seen to be there - and I was new and earning duck all, and I had nowhere near enough of a workload to justify being in the office 11 hours a day. I would make my then-boyfriend call me with fake emergencies so I could answer, "OH MY GOD, IT'S FLOODED?! I'LL BE RIGHT THERE!" and escape.

It didn't help that a lot of the clients were huge, morally questionable companies so I had to spend hours each day monitoring their Facebook pages for any comments that brought up ethical issues.

On the plus side, we did get endless freebies because media is such a circlejerk. I even went to a Madonna concert for free (it was tit though, she was doing all her new material, nobody wants that!).

ETA: and Happy Birthday ST, of course! Have a wonderful day 🎂
Omg dear heart - same, babe, to all of this!! I wish we didn’t have to live in fear of a high street solicitor sending us a cease & desist and I could just drop the name(s) 😂. This is literally it word for word!

Considering all of the above it makes it all the madder how mediocre the work is? Like I’m sure in some instances for creative or tech or PR work the agency structure works if you don’t have the resources/need to build out perm teams yourself (tho there are still issues) but omg the level of work my dept did was literal admin and clients were paying hundreds of thousands for utter tat. And I was still early in my career thinking that, now I just wonder why on earth anyone would enlist them at all? That 5x figure from that video made me lol as it was such an agency standard load of bollocks. This was just before a lot of the big brands started pulling budget from the top x so around your era. I sat in on some shocking client meetings where every single client without fail asked if this was it. 😳 And if it wasn’t that, it was how tit it was. Embarazzing!

Back in the day when working there I’d just started going out with my now husband and was calling him in tears daily, whilst he was at his actually stressful/important job. He’d tell me just to walk out and ghost them, one Friday it got bad enough I was crying in a cupboard with no light off the stairs seriously considering leaving my keys, bank cards, and VW bag (RIP sweetie 🌹🕯) on my desk and just never coming back, the bag was the only reason I went back and it later got pissed on by an animal so I may as well have left it there 😳 resigned the next week and raised my voice for the first and only time at work because my bully manager had moved onto his next victim and decided to start shouting at him over something in an open plan office! These office bullies must all be domestic abusers in their home lives because they way in which they speak to people is so off key, like all for prison abolition but these cunts need locking up they are unhinged and not safe to be around.

I say this having a decade of experience in horrible industries (media, fashion, tech) so I’m not a lil duckling fresh to the world - advertising is by far the most horrific of industries. Followed by fashion 🤭 but that’s for another essay lmao.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
Ah sending love to those in not great jobs. I can do a boring bloke update is that helps?

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Oh my God I could not agree more. The most toxic industry by a long stretch. I used to go cry in the toilets at least twice a week because either a client or my boss was horrible to me. I heard my boss say the most vile, racist and sexist tit and noone could do anything about it. It's still such an old boys club and none of them seem to be retiring lol? I have seen people fired in front of me and had to pack their tit up next to me crying hysterically were told to "ignore them unless you want to be next". I remember once having to fly to India for a client meeting where we presented a pile of tit lol but were there for 72 hours over a weekend, flew back to the UK on the Monday and then had clients visiting all week so had 12 hours days stretching into the evenings with dinners. No time in lieu, no overtime, and I was on about 25k as a junior account manager 🥲 doing work way above my pay grade. Also, HTRIA, you're right... what we'd promise in terms of ROI and the quality of the work we delivered and what we charged.... embarrassing. It used to be four figures for an email not even built in something like MailChimp. Daylight robbery lol.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Happy bday Sweetie T! Frank is looking dashing as ever in his gay bow tie.

I've probably got everyone beaten on last time in a cinema as I haven't been to one since 2007 to see whatever Pirates of the Caribbean was out that year. It's not easy to fit in a cinema seat when you're a 93kg hunk of quality oak furniture from the Cotswold Company. I'd better send cattos instead, I'm just taping up her box now. She's off to 28 Food & Drink, Tattle Road, Tattle.

cat in a box.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 26
I love this, ex-advertising Frauen assemble!

TBH there are a few industries like that where they treat you like tit then constantly tell you how lucky you are to be in such a glamorous, exciting world. I have never regretted getting out even for a second. Having said that, I'm glad I worked there, because if not I'd probably always be thinking "what if..."

• Heart
Reactions: 12
was gonna say I've not been to the cinema since either the first sex and the city movie or the duchess, but sidey t has me beaten there as they were 2008

happiest of birthdays sweetie t! x

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I had an ex many years ago who was always dragging me to the cinema to watch superhero films, which I hated. Since I broke up with him eight years ago, I've been once, to see a documentary about Maradona.

TBH I very rarely watch movies, even at home. I love watching series, but films...eh.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Ok so boring bloke update (so boring no need for a spoiler)
We were both in London this week but our schedule's could not align. I had some sad news and he was so lovely, he changed meetings to spend time with me, just an hour, but a huge amount of his day. I am torn. We have no future plans but he is always there in the moment.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.