Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Cookiecookie

VIP Member
IMG_20220629_101454.jpg
Mine desperately need a bath but I am delegating that job to someone else in the family 😂
I feel so guilty washing the dog. He makes a half hearted attempt to run away when he sees the lead (arthritis) but then just gives in. The look of absolute defeated resignation on his face is both sad and hilarious. Here's him in his favourite place instead, his pile of cushions (there's three more out of shot)

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 33

Orphan_Black

VIP Member
@heretoreaditall2019

Didn't want to derail the main thread, but, got excited that you're about Soho work-wise. Babes, same! I bet we've seen each other without ever realising it!

If you see a miserable mare riding a pastel green Pendleton, give me a wave! xxx

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32

Feck

Chatty Member
I feel like I should add to the cat canal. Here's Mr B giving me the side eye because I disturbed his snooze. Sister cat is out and about doing cat things because she's a cat - unlike this dope who thinks he's a baby.

Attachments

• Heart

Sideboard Bob

VIP Member
FWIW I always appreciate your contributions. You come across as a genuinely kind, decent person when you highlight your concerns about Jack, and you're also so very knowledgeable on so many things.

I would tell you to please never think twice before posting, but that would be denying your thoughtful nature, which is one of the reasons your posts are so valuable.
Totally agree CL!

@Into_the_tunnel I never think you come across as naive, you often post things that offer a different perspective, which always makes me (and I’m sure others) think.

I love it when people aren’t afraid to say “hang on a minute, maybe we‘re missing something/we‘ve got this wrong/ etc“.

@Silver Linings is great for that too, we’ve not forgotten you lovely x

• Heart

Jay-cloth Cow

VIP Member
Thanks everyone! We are very happy, I did love when asking me Mr C said as part of his little proposal speech it was time as JC-pup can't be an illegitimate child as other dogs might tease her if her parents aren't married 🤣 is it obvious how obsessed we are with her?!

• Heart
  • Haha
morning Fraus, just wondered if anyone had any advice - looked to see if there was a thread on this kind of thing anywhere but couldn't find one. Am worried about a friend right now - went to her house earlier in the week to see if she had a dress I could borrow for a wedding this weekend, she seemed out of sorts, when I was looking in her wardrobe I found 6 empty vodka bottles hidden in there. I questioned it, she broke down and told me she's secretly drinking at least half a bottle a day, and is taking cocaine to try and seem sober in front of people. She told me I was under no circumstances allowed to tell anyone especially her OH, that she's just going through a rough patch at work and it's helping her cope. Since then she won't reply to any of my messages. I'm really worried and am considering calling her OH to tell him - tbh I'd rather her not speak to me than continue doing this but also I know people need to want to stop to be able to. Had a look online and am considering calling al anon for advice. Would that be too pushy? I want to help but don't know how, or how much would be an acceptable level of involvement. It's so hard!

Sorry for bringing the mood down, hope everyone is doing ok xx
Firstly there aren’t any hard and fast rules and tbh anyone you call up and speak to is going to provide some insight and be able to direct you to resources. So there is no wrong/right way to approach it most importantly!

Alanon is a fellowship for those embroiled in the lives of addicts so children of alcohol parents (although there’s also ACA for them but it’s a v small fellowship with few meetings) or wives or husbands etc. It’d be a good resource for you personally and her boyfriend, but it sounds like she needs help with drink/drug consumption so AA would be a good start. They’ve got a telephone service you can call up and someone can call her back for a chat & accompany her to her first meeting. If it’s an open meeting (it’ll say) you can attend too! You’re not made to share but they only ask you don’t share if you’ve drunk or used that day.

Re being a young woman in sobriety - there’s quite a fair few of us?? I’m not gonna lie it does skew more make and older and most the meetings you go to (especially if it’s in the ends rather than central city locations) will be a bit men heavy but it’s so important to listen to the similarities and not the differences. Like yeah Julie and the kids haven’t left you cos you’re 23 living in a housing crisis hun but you’ve also been too anxious to leave the house or you’ve been so late to something you’ve just never turned up at all lol.

There are also some young persons meetings, personally for me I’ve never gelled with them but it’s defs something to do! And also tbh it gives you hope that you can be a “normal” young person and not drinking or using. That was the hardest thing about it all really, feeling like you’d be a social pariah / there was something wrong with you that meant you had all this shame and self hatred and no one else did? A lot of them a decade on are now entering the rooms so turns out we’re never really alone in our misery lol.

It’s a shame this can’t be an IRL convo as it’s so nuanced and I want to reassure you that this negative bit is bad but not bad if that makes sense. I don’t want to sound negative but also try not to get your hopes up in a way, the key to abstinence is your own willing and also conceding that you’re done, this is it, there’s no way through this as is big changes need to happen. They say some people just haven’t hit their rock bottom yet so go back out there. Sorry to me-rail (is this whole post a me rail?) but my situation with my brother is a v good example of this. I repeatedly get my hopes up that he’ll stop the j1g, I’ve done everything in my power but sadly the last decade has just had to be me putting up stricter boundaries and pulling back. It was our birthdays a few weeks ago so I decided to do something as he’s now single (because of his behaviour, which she in part enabled but she’s a victim in this all and needs alanon tbh so I need to find compassion) so wouldn’t have anyone else to do this with & he obviously mucked me around with time and location so I just went home in the end. Like this isn’t 🎻🎻 but I guess we also have to check ourselves for what we’re expecting from people who aren’t well? Like back in the day thought he’d leap at the chance to get well and be grateful he had a tour guide but he just didn’t, his behaviour was so bad in fact I’d say it traumatised me. And reaching out and showing kindness at a low point I hoped would serve as attraction not promotion to sobriety, but it was just ignored altogether. Like sorry this isn’t saying stay away cos you’re doing such a loving and caring thing and you sound like such an amazing friend but just make sure you’re setting your expectations low / safeguarding yourself in all of this. In my instance as well it was probs a bit of ego/arrogance that of COURSE he would want what I have. And doubly - part of why I was so upset by it all was cos I feel his behaviour and something he said to an old timer really embarrassed me and that’s my shit not his? But anyway the point of that is we can’t have expectations of our people, we can’t assume it’ll work, and we can’t be upset when someone doesn’t behave in the way we want them to. Sorry if that sounds patronising and maybe this isn’t something mentally well people need reminding of but I wish I had this tattooed on my eyeballs before I started down that road.

Tbh Alanon would be a really good resource for you on this journey as it can be really hard, like being lied to or disappointed is part of the package but it hurts so bad every time. Like remember to safeguard your own heart it all of this cos it is tough.

Sending love and sorry if that sounded negative, it’s not at all I just don’t want you to abandon yourself and end up unwell in it all. You’re doing SUCH a loving wonderful thing & your friend is so lucky to have you. There are many other sober fraus on these threads too btw and there’s no such thing as a universal opinion, I can only give you what I’ve got if that makes sense? Others can share what they’ve got which may be more relevant so definitely start speaking to people about it! ❤ There’s a few very active communities on Reddit I used a lot in early days that may be useful?

• Heart
Congrats @Emmapism sending competent editor-os! Sorry you didn't get your job @Kittypops but the canal of mithering ninnies will be behind you again for the next one.

Dear hearts Hotes and @Wooh, thinking of you ❤ sending cattos if it will help in even the slightest way.

dismissive catto.jpg

@Cookiecookie I know I say this to everyone but have you thought about strength training for your daughter, like powerlifting or olympic weightlifting? Children can start as early as 8 years old. I am similarly useless with any kind of walking co-ordination but I'm pretty good at standing still and picking things up off the floor. She could be bench pressing the monarch of your choice in no time!

• Heart

panda_eyes

VIP Member
Congratulations JCC ❤❤❤ lovely news 🥰 put me down for the virtual hen do!

I went to London today with my OH. Saw a Toot Toot bus next to the (per) Rialto theatre and thought "hah, amusing" to myself. Not long after walked past a bunch of caricaturists in Leicester Square, one of whom had a very JM looking example on their stand. Spooky. Later on we walked past the Groucho and I managed to resist shouting SIT DOWN I WANT TO SEE REDCAR. What a day. Also walked past the Channel 4 building, but nobody exciting about, sadly.

Ate a big old 4 cheese pizza for dinner that was hot, cheap, and delicious. I do have a burnt roof of my mouth - has anyone actually ever managed to eat pizza without doing this or am I just a greedy impatient bastard?

Apologies if the photo is huge, I'm on holiday using my phone and I normally tattle on my laptop.
20220705_185300.jpg

• Heart

bowiethesdmn

VIP Member
Just got to work to find out we've actually had to call an emergency tree surgeon out. Thank you all for manifesting this ❤

• Haha
  • Heart

Into_the_tunnel

VIP Member
Yesterday I tried again to explain my love of this place to Mrs T using the burglar bill photo and the inexplicable dates. Got met with “I don’t care about her, I don’t care about the photos, I just don’t feffing care.”

Sigh.

I just explained what has happened on our side hustle thread. She couldn’t hide her smile from me and said “sometimes nice people just do the nicest things for nice people.”

I think we are getting there peeps. 🥰

• Heart

Falkor

VIP Member
Um, ladies, I put you out on the sparse hill because I didn't want you piling on too much weight from the richer grass in my fields.

They obviously didn't get the memo. Lady nearest the camera is Not-So-Little Nine!

20220628_222553.jpg

And hopefully my neighbour will have enough time to cut and bale this when he does his own fields next to it - should get about half my winter hay needs off this if he can :)

20220628_183324.jpg

• Heart
  • Wow

Sglodion

Chatty Member
Thinking of you Hotes ❤ I'm glad you had the opportunity to say goodbye to your relative but very sorry that it was necessary.

Also much love to anyone else who's having a difficult time, for big or small reasons, and delighted to see that Sideboard Cat is home. I haven't seen her before, what a gorgeous little punk!

I fear I have done a slop of Jackesque proportions today. I had the (ingenious, I thought) idea of blending a charred aubergine and mixing it with pesto for pasta sauce, only once it was burned I realised it was far too smoky and would completely overpower the dish, so I decided to make that chilli recipe everyone raves about instead. Then I discovered part way through that I didn't have all the ingredients, including the tomatoes which are pretty essential, so was looking round my kitchen for anything acidic that would go with lentils. After a moment of sheer desperation where I was actually debating whether a chopped nectarine would be better than nothing, I remembered the random jars of Eastern European pickles I panic bought in March 2020 when I thought the shops might run out of fruit and veg, and found a jar of peppers that expired eight months ago and was covered in a thick layer of dust. My delicious recipe for feta and botulism chilli (0.7p) will be posted when I'm less BUSY.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31

Into_the_tunnel

VIP Member
Hotes, sending you thoughts across the pennies. Hope you can feel them.

It’s lovely to hear all your musings on relationships- shows how diverse everyone is❤.

Finding the MT hard in that regard. Firstly (and I know she has stated that she is looking for a guy so that draws a line), I am not sure I agree with people saying she was never a fully fledged lesbian because she has been with men and had a son. I think that is really disrespectful. Many lesbians (both of us, many people we know) have had straight relationships before they came out. It’s how it works sometimes. Look at Kelly Holmes.

We all fell for Jack for one reason or another. She wrote in the Guardian etc.. for me it was partly because she was gay. Now it seems that element of her has gone, I feel let down. I feel she is harming herself but hurting her lesbian followers too. I am sorry if this is out of turn, having Kelly finally come out has made this an emotional week.

We got together, typically in a whirlwind. We both knew. I was knocked off my feet having always fallen for unattainable men (funny that). Life has been up and down in the almost 20 years we have been together but she is my absolute rock and I would fall apart without her. Sorry for long post. Sorry for being too sympathetic towards Jack.

• Heart

Wooh

VIP Member
Oooh is he? You've all had a dreadful time with that lunatic.

Today the Hawkesbury region had some sunshine. Winter sunshine, and good enough for four loads of washing.

I spent the afternoon pony wrangling, moving my trio to next door property, ending my long term agistment on the property where I've been staying in the granny flat (shitbox) since March floods. Sometimes a change for the sake of change gains better service and a fresh start.

Anyway, Pony1 and Pony2 as easy as ever. Pony3 is the senior: 27 years of age, wily, independent, beautiful. He was gelded (castrated) when I rescued all three, but still has all the traits of a stallion, as you would if that was your whole life. Anyway, I had a fine time with him until finally after 4 hours he was ready for a headstall, lead, grooming, worming and moving. He is so fine boned and elegant, but so strong and clever! I love him. He was prancing beside me. All the evidence is that he was once a show pony: his movements and carriage. He's had a head injury at some stage, and I definitely think he's benignly senile. Oh, and all these antics were *after* I had given him a mild oral sedative. Hahaaaaa. He is, they are, wonderful. My cobwebs are quite blown away

Tomorrow I make the three hour journey around the Blue Mountains to arrive at work for a batch of shifts over three days and hoping, like everyone else, that the bridges will reopen by Sunday for the rather more convenient 25 min drive home

And that's my story!

Last edited:
  • Heart

OwlRightsReserved

VIP Member
All my love dear @Wooh. @jordishaw is so right about finding a way to sit with grief and loss; until recently I've always been someone who has fought the "gaps" where someone should be, and isn't, and I know how exhausting that is. I hope you're taking care of yourself today ♥

speaking of pettoes with odd names, I found this twitter account today called cats with interesting names. i think this one's my favourite

View attachment 1384237
Our cat's called Amos, which is a stupid name for a cat. If we ever have another, I'm suggesting Poached Egg.

Screenshot 2022-07-01 at 22.11.46.png

Managed to get a photo of his one black leg today, which always makes me laugh.

• Heart

Wooh

VIP Member
Speaking of old animals, I was able to catch my OldWoohPony yesterday with ease (and a carrot.) I had a feeling that after the other day of human touch he'd be amenable for more!

He had a forelock trim, as really he's been as wild as a brumby for a senile year. Now he can see easily, and not think predators are all around him. He had lovely grooming, and he was so happy and comfortable. The other two were shocked that he was "getting all the attention" and played show off zoomies around the paddock, looking over their shoulders to make sure I was watching to see how special and interesting they are. They are going on one of our long trail bushwalks on Thursday.

I've slept from 6pm to 2am. OOPS. I'm back to bed for a couple of hours!

Here's some pony photos, old crazy first 💥💚
Screenshot_20220713-022844_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220713-022828_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220713-022754_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220713-022652_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
  • Heart

Sideboard Bob

VIP Member
I hope you all don’t mind if I share an early #fact? It’s to celebrate that on this day 25 years ago (😮), the Prodigy realised The Fat Of The Land. I love that album, and found a fact about a sampling chaos.

The Prodigy sampled a song on the album by The Jedi Knights. The Jedi Knights found out and tried to sue them.

However, Liam Howlett had chosen this sample because he knew Jedi Knights had actually sampled it from another record, without permission! So the Prodigy’s record label had bought the rights for the original sample, and in turn, threatened to sue The Jedi Knights.
To add to the chaos, GEORGE LUCAS then ended up suing The Jedi Knights for the use of their name!

• Heart
  • Wow