Food and Drink #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So I was wondering if anyone had any (cat related) advice. My kitten brougth in a live bird yesterday, I managed to drag him away from it, but it seems unable to fly judging by the fact that I have opened the balcony and it is making no attempt to leave, it can walk but is barely moving, just standing there looking around. I have contacted a rescue place, but who knows how long that will take for them to call me. It has been here since yesterday evening, does anyone have any advice on anything else I could do? I have appraoched it and it seems weirdly unscared of me, I am pretty much terrified of anything that flies so this is basically a nightmare scenario :ROFLMAO:
if you approach calmly from behind and at an angle, you can normally scoop birds with a towel without much flapping ( from bird or you)

that said , have you considered posting in a local to you Facebook community group asking for help? There is bound to be someone on there who would be willing to remove/look after your feathered squatter untill a rescue can help . I know this sounds a bit odd, but my dad loves birds and is constantly responding to bird capture requests , not only from cat related stuff but also because apparently pigeons in particular are very dumb and will happily fly in an open window/patio/greenhouse but then can’t work out how to leave again😂🤦‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 21
if you approach calmly from behind and at an angle, you can normally scoop birds with a towel without much flapping ( from bird or you)

that said , have you considered posting in a local to you Facebook community group asking for help? There is bound to be someone on there who would be willing to remove/look after your feathered squatter untill a rescue can help . I know this sounds a bit odd, but my dad loves birds and is constantly responding to bird capture requests , not only from cat related stuff but also because apparently pigeons in particular are very dumb and will happily fly in an open window/patio/greenhouse but then can’t work out how to leave again😂🤦‍♀️
Good idea, thank you! This group is the best for random things!

• Heart
Reactions: 16

Don’t mention the pterodactyl!

• Haha
Reactions: 13
If you're not able to pick it up then putting an upturned cardboard box over it so it's in the dark will help keep it calm until someone can come out to help.

Spot the sleepy red panda btw. His little face looks just like how I felt at the time.
20220711_114827.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 20
We once had a pigeon that our old dog caught (he was a terror) and we were convinced it was going to die, so we put it in the shed with water and pumpkin seeds and thought we'd give it overnight and then dispose of it with dignity.

Went into the shed the next morning to find pumpkin seeds everywhere, the lawn mower covered in tit, and an absolutely furious pigeon. Caught the pigeon and went to release it outside the garden so he was away from the dog. The damn thing angrily walked off up the road like a tiny, furious hitchhiker. He was just missing a red handkerchief on a stick.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
The sunset photos reminded me of this photo, has anyone ever been to Alaska? It had never appealed to me as a place to visit, until I started following this photographer, her name is Amy Bragg, she lives in Alaska and takes such stunning photos, and now I really really want to go! Looks so beautiful 😊

Screenshot_20220711-211909.png

Screenshot_20220711-212417.png
Screenshot_20220711-212143.png
Screenshot_20220711-211942.png
Screenshot_20220711-212222.jpg
FB_IMG_1657571703206.jpg

In other news I am officially rid of the 'vid 😊. Was much milder than last time thankfully, I've definitely had worse colds.
@Hollaaa how are you doing now with the lurg?

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 25
Joining you this evening a very scared Frau. Our apartment block has mice! Reported in one of the flats a week or so ago, then my neighbour two floors down had an encounter last night.

Today was my turn. Was blocking up a hole using a dryer sheet (I read mice don't like them?) then turned my back to walk a few steps away...... running mouse!

Lads I screamed and jumped onto the sofa like a woman in a cartoon who is only legs. Traps have been ordered (I'm a death sentence/zero tolerance Frau) and I'm barricading myself in my bedroom tonight, is there anything else I can do?

All food has always been kept in glass jars so no sign of it/them getting at my snacks. Anyone have any mousey wisdom to share?

• Wow
  • Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
I've never really been affected by the heat before now, dunno if it's connected with my potential early menopause (yes, I will get to the gp) but I am a ball of sweat. it's apparently still 25 degrees here at 2150!

• Heart
Reactions: 19
So I ended up picking up the bird, in a towel as suggested, and putting it on my balcony ( ground floor, which is covered in leaves so it is hiding) I have left food and water but it not eating anything... I am not letting my cats out now, no other animals come on to my balcony...Unless the charity comes back to me I wIll keep putting out food and water but I think it probably will just die there... I feel awful knowing there is nothing more I can do, the thought of the bird just being scared and in pain for ages is really awful

Joining you this evening a very scared Frau. Our apartment block has mice! Reported in one of the flats a week or so ago, then my neighbour two floors down had an encounter last night.

Today was my turn. Was blocking up a hole using a dryer sheet (I read mice don't like them?) then turned my back to walk a few steps away...... running mouse!

Lads I screamed and jumped onto the sofa like a woman in a cartoon who is only legs. Traps have been ordered (I'm a death sentence/zero tolerance Frau) and I'm barricading myself in my bedroom tonight, is there anything else I can do?

All food has always been kept in glass jars so no sign of it/them getting at my snacks. Anyone have any mousey wisdom to share?
Biased, but I am the only flat in my ground floor flat that has never had mice issues, hint I have cats :ROFLMAO:

surry ETA this maes no sense, in my grounf floor flat, in my building. Stand by the rest of my pro cat points!

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 17

Yes, some very good advice: do not move to north west NSW, and do not google "mouse plague north West NSW"

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
Silly question time but has anyone read or heard about this:

Idk why he’s reading nursing notes lol but do you think it’s true?! I’m meant to go into work tomorrow and he said not to, or get an Uber which makes me feel nauseous just thinking about it?! Sorry to sound like a 1950s bride, I’m just a bit shooketh now - surely it can’t ever be 43 degrees?!

• Wow
  • Haha
I've been to Phoenix ...in American Truck Simulator. I'm sure it's just exactly the same in real life.

My weather app is saying 33 degrees on Sunday. Poor Sideboard Cat is just trapped in here with me and I'm already a horrid sweaty gremlin. She wouldn't use the cooling mat I bought her, nor would she obligingly sleep where I'd wrapped a freezer pack in a towel. She also keeps sleeping on the windowsills basically frying herself so send prayeros to the smol idiot for the weekend.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 23
IMG_7702.jpg

Neighbour's kittens update. This little black one is my fav of the litter. Literally odd one out, all the others are tabby/white mixes. Always looks confused this one. Love 'em.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
The sunset photos reminded me of this photo, has anyone ever been to Alaska? It had never appealed to me as a place to visit, until I started following this photographer, her name is Amy Bragg, she lives in Alaska and takes such stunning photos, and now I really really want to go! Looks so beautiful 😊

View attachment 1409688

In other news I am officially rid of the 'vid 😊. Was much milder than last time thankfully, I've definitely had worse colds.
@Hollaaa how are you doing now with the lurg?
Thank you for asking NTB, good to hear you're back up and at 'em. I'm just about done with it too (hence this afternoon's, er, productivity on the MT), and have now kindly passed it on to my OH, he seems to have it a bit milder than I did.

I had a very faint positive this afternoon and did a few hours of work this morning, although it made my eyes go funny after a while and I got dizzy walking to the end of the street and back for practice. Hoping to be back in the office on Wednesday but I'm not sure if I will manage a full day. I have a couple of lovely friends who have been absolutely hammered by long covid so I have zero percent guilt in not rushing myself and overdoing it.

• Heart
Silly question time but has anyone read or heard about this:

Idk why he’s reading nursing notes lol but do you think it’s true?! I’m meant to go into work tomorrow and he said not to, or get an Uber which makes me feel nauseous just thinking about it?! Sorry to sound like a 1950s bride, I’m just a bit shooketh now - surely it can’t ever be 43 degrees?!
Tomorrow is meant to be much like today has been. Sunday has an amber warning, though for here it's currently giving 29 max, so quite a way off the 43. London for Sunday it's showing 31 max atm. I dunno, worth keeping an eye on, but it's not yet giving those sorts of temps.

• Heart
View attachment 1409802

Neighbour's kittens update. This little black one is my fav of the litter. Literally odd one out, all the others are tabby/white mixes. Always looks confused this one. Love 'em.
Beautiful! without being massively sexist ( or whatever) I bet he is a boy, reminds me of my little boy when I got him , precious and I love him , but not so clever :ROFLMAO: oh my gosh I want another kitten!!!

Update ubout my awful situation. Kitten is now trying ot get out and find pigeon :(

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 16

Ah I'm a pacifist frau so when we had them (really common this time of the year actually due to hay harvesting), I got a load of humane traps, then one by one I drove them to the local church and let them out (mouse city up there). So I'm probably not much help! 😂

• Haha
I've been to Phoenix ...in American Truck Simulator. I'm sure it's just exactly the same in real life.

My weather app is saying 33 degrees on Sunday. Poor Sideboard Cat is just trapped in here with me and I'm already a horrid sweaty gremlin. She wouldn't use the cooling mat I bought her, nor would she obligingly sleep where I'd wrapped a freezer pack in a towel. She also keeps sleeping on the windowsills basically frying herself so send prayeros to the smol idiot for the weekend.
Will she totally mug you for a Cornetto if you sit and pretend to eat one? One of mine was partial to a Magnum, the little horror, but wouldn't go near his water if there was ice in it. He would only go on a cooling mat if he could fight his brother for it first, too.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
The highest my app is showing atm is next Monday , which is saying 34 max, so a jump to 43 seems unlikely

I’m struggling with the heat , more than I usually do. It’s only been a week since I finally threw off the remnants of whatever bug was making me nauseous, so I’ve still got a stash of ice lollies to make sure I was staying hydrated, but even with cool drinks, lollies, fans and frequent feet dipping in a cold bucket , I’ve been a sweaty queasy mess

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Another one struggling with the heat here. I think I’m in the early stages of peri-menopause, have been having hot flushes and night sweats for a while now, and the heatwave is not helping. It’s so exhausting being too warm.

I feel bad for complaining about summer, the light evenings are nice, but I don’t like the extremes. Spring and Autumn are perfect. I‘m missing the pitch black sky and seeing the stars just now, but in winter there’s too much darkness.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.