Food and Drink #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@Valiofthedolls I didn’t want to disrupt the MT any further, but basically yes, part of the reason I sometimes think Phoenixes are real is because it’s a real place, (as if that’s how it all works 😬 )

Have you (or anyone here) been to Phoenix?
I‘ve been thinking about Arizona recently because I was listening to the Orb song, “Little Fluffy Clouds”, it’s all about the skies and sunsets in Arizona.

So I looked up Arizona sunsets and… WOW

View attachment 1407510

I have been to phoenix a long time ago, I travelled from the Mexican border up towards Canada. I think it was was bottom of the list for me.

Reactions: 13
I was in that town in Arizona that Louis Theroux went to, Kingman.

Was there for work about 4 years ago. Think we stayed in the local Holiday Inn (?). A very sweet gay guy in the lobby overheard some of our conversation and told us to be careful about being vocally anti-Trump as we were likely to get some trouble 😬

The surrounding scenery was gorgeous but I can't say I'm in a hurry to go back.....

• Heart
Reactions: 19
@Valiofthedolls I didn’t want to disrupt the MT any further, but basically yes, part of the reason I sometimes think Phoenixes are real is because it’s a real place, (as if that’s how it all works 😬 )

Have you (or anyone here) been to Phoenix?
I‘ve been thinking about Arizona recently because I was listening to the Orb song, “Little Fluffy Clouds”, it’s all about the skies and sunsets in Arizona.

So I looked up Arizona sunsets and… WOW

View attachment 1407510

I went a long time ago and remember it being super hot... I don't think there was that much to do, aside from going to the Grand Canyon!

Reactions: 12
I’m taking the merail off the MT - I’m waiting in a clinic for an assessment (boo) but not trusting David Attenborough about walruses reminded me that a long time ago I was in South America observing sea turtles laying eggs at night (as you do - very unethical really as American tourists took flash photos) and said to an Aussie girl ‘this is such a David Attenborough moment’ and she said ‘oh is he your boyfriend?’
tried to explain no but would LOVE THAT so now ever since DA has been in a very small way in my own mind my boyfriend.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
I was in that town in Arizona that Louis Theroux went to, Kingman.

Was there for work about 4 years ago. Think we stayed in the local Holiday Inn (?). A very sweet gay guy in the lobby overheard some of our conversation and told us to be careful about being vocally anti-Trump as we were likely to get some trouble 😬

The surrounding scenery was gorgeous but I can't say I'm in a hurry to go back.....
I got told not to wear a t-shirt with a dinosaur on it in Tennessee. And I'm someone who left the country when GWB got elected because we were concerned 😂 - gutted I missed out on the Obama years but being young (and relatively privileged) in NY in the Clinton era was fun.

• Wow
Reactions: 14
I actually had to go to Phoenix on a work trip right before the pandemic, and our neighbors had moved out there a couple of years before.

It’s kind of sprawling (the greater Phoenix area is really big). I think it’s changing quite a bit in the past 5 or so years, lots of younger and creative people moving out there (including our neighbors who love it) so there are lots of new creative industries popping up. Little independent restaurants, bars, shops etc. Climate is great for most of the year and sunsets spectacular, lots of outdoorsy stuff to do. Don’t want to oversell it though-wouldn’t rush back there on my own $$ but wouldn’t hugely object to having to go back there for work if I had to- unlike Orlando 😂 I don’t think it’s as much a destination for me as a place to stop on the way to other better places.

Denver however also has absolutely beautiful sunsets -and sunrises, is a GREAT friendly city with fab food and drink, overlooks the Rockies, with fantastic weather for most of the year and I’d get on a plane and go there right this very minute if I could. Plus Boulder is very close and only $5.50 on the (every 15 mins bus) and is also great. Go Denver! (And Boulder!)

ETA and fun fact! The airport is a goldmine of conspiracy theories, so much so that the official website of the airport even has a page dedicated to them 😂 once you’ve read keep scrolling down to the tinfoil hat catto too ❤

54722DDB-8E65-4D5F-9761-FEFD45081A40.jpeg

Below is Boulder
FF269633-014E-4CFC-BE58-AC110B250ED9.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
The Denver airport web page about the conspiracy theories is clever, clever

I am the luckiest Tattler tonight. Worked this afternoon/evening at the yoga retreat kitchen, and chef was preparing her Mexican style dinner. (I'm now a champion corn tortilla maker, by the way, under her tutelage.)

So I'm now enjoying a supper of vegan Mex: black beans, sweet potato, a sunflower kernel creamy sauce, red cabbage and fennel slaw, radish slices, brown rice, the freshest coriander picked this morning. It is a feast of local, seasonal fresh colours and tastes. Mmmm!

So nice to be back at work after a week of floods and the common cold, and plenty of leftovers for lunch.

Here's a tortilla, coloured with a little beetroot juice.
Screenshot_20220711-220127_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
I can just about taste things again, praise beans, and have very much enjoyed student pasta for lunch which is fried onion, fried chopped (highest meat content but still quite tit) hotdogs, carton of chopped toms, garlic purée, bit of strong cheddar, chilli and 😬 POBP over actual spirali pasta. Possibly better with tuna and I normally replace the pasta with broccoli but meh, not today.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I actually had to go to Phoenix on a work trip right before the pandemic, and our neighbors had moved out there a couple of years before.

It’s kind of sprawling (the greater Phoenix area is really big). I think it’s changing quite a bit in the past 5 or so years, lots of younger and creative people moving out there (including our neighbors who love it) so there are lots of new creative industries popping up. Little independent restaurants, bars, shops etc. Climate is great for most of the year and sunsets spectacular, lots of outdoorsy stuff to do. Don’t want to oversell it though-wouldn’t rush back there on my own $$ but wouldn’t hugely object to having to go back there for work if I had to- unlike Orlando 😂 I don’t think it’s as much a destination for me as a place to stop on the way to other better places.

Denver however also has absolutely beautiful sunsets -and sunrises, is a GREAT friendly city with fab food and drink, overlooks the Rockies, with fantastic weather for most of the year and I’d get on a plane and go there right this very minute if I could. Plus Boulder is very close and only $5.50 on the (every 15 mins bus) and is also great. Go Denver! (And Boulder!)

ETA and fun fact! The airport is a goldmine of conspiracy theories, so much so that the official website of the airport even has a page dedicated to them 😂 once you’ve read keep scrolling down to the tinfoil hat catto too ❤

View attachment 1408376
Below is Boulder
View attachment 1408390
That's stunning! I remember reading about Denver Airport years ago - just mad. Conspiracy theorists are kind of fascinating in the way that compulsive liars are. You just wonder where it all comes from...

In the US I've only been to NYC, Boston, and (randomly) Baltimore, all well over 10 years ago now. Actually I was in NYC when George W Bush won his second term. Went to a second-hand bookstore the next day and the owner and some customers were all grumbling away about it...actually, that's something I found really strange in the US, the way that strangers will just strike up a conversation.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Well I've just been on my first ever school trip. Got assigned to look after a group of twelve year olds I didn't know at all, immediately lost them all in the zoo, got lost myself on the way back to the coach and had to call the trip leader to say I was stuck in a bird enclosure and couldn't find my way out. Luckily it turned out one of the other girls had left her phone in the aquarium and gone back to look for it so it wasn't just me holding everyone up. We all had a fab time and I'm pretty sure we've got as many kids on the coach back as we took out, if not a couple extra 😅 10/10 would do again.

• Haha
  • Wow
My aunty lives in Phoenix. Without meaning any offence to any Arizonians , She is exactly the kind of person you would expect to live in Phoenix 😂 .

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Well I've just been on my first ever school trip. Got assigned to look after a group of twelve year olds I didn't know at all, immediately lost them all in the zoo, got lost myself on the way back to the coach and had to call the trip leader to say I was stuck in a bird enclosure and couldn't find my way out. Luckily it turned out one of the other girls had left her phone in the aquarium and gone back to look for it so it wasn't just me holding everyone up. We all had a fab time and I'm pretty sure we've got as many kids on the coach back as we took out, if not a couple extra 😅 10/10 would do again.
"I was stuck in a bird enclosure and couldn't find my way out" has me hooting 😂 😂 😂

ETA thank you for the baking suggestions yesterday! We did raspberry scones in the end, went down very well.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
This comment reassured me I was actually on a food thread and not a cat one 😅

The cat posts are cool, so no shade.

Do Worcester sauce French fries still exist? I never ever see them anymore!
haha. it's kind of the off-topic spin-off from the jack monroe threads here! everyone's welcome though! 😃

I told everyone that I'd spam them with cats while I was cat-sitting, so I did!

back home now, lads. no kitties here, but I did just see this in lidl that I kinda wanna send them

20220711_172731.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 18
So I was wondering if anyone had any (cat related) advice. My kitten brougth in a live bird yesterday, I managed to drag him away from it, but it seems unable to fly judging by the fact that I have opened the balcony and it is making no attempt to leave, it can walk but is barely moving, just standing there looking around. I have contacted a rescue place, but who knows how long that will take for them to call me. It has been here since yesterday evening, does anyone have any advice on anything else I could do? I have appraoched it and it seems weirdly unscared of me, I am pretty much terrified of anything that flies so this is basically a nightmare scenario :ROFLMAO:

• Sad
Reactions: 13
So I was wondering if anyone had any (cat related) advice. My kitten brougth in a live bird yesterday, I managed to drag him away from it, but it seems unable to fly judging by the fact that I have opened the balcony and it is making no attempt to leave, it can walk but is barely moving, just standing there looking around. I have contacted a rescue place, but who knows how long that will take for them to call me. It has been here since yesterday evening, does anyone have any advice on anything else I could do? I have appraoched it and it seems weirdly unscared of me, I am pretty much terrified of anything that flies so this is basically a nightmare scenario :ROFLMAO:
Oh no, that's awful. Can you take it to a vet clinic?

Reactions: 7
"I was stuck in a bird enclosure and couldn't find my way out" has me hooting 😂 😂 😂

ETA thank you for the baking suggestions yesterday! We did raspberry scones in the end, went down very well.
It was pretty funny at the time tbh. It had what felt like about seventeen identical doors and none of them seemed to be the one I came in through - I kept trying different ones in hopes that they were the exit and being like "nope, this one is turtles", "here are the fish, I guess", "oh look, I'm in the snake room again". Would have been a great design for a normal fun day out, but the architect clearly didn’t factor in a supposedly responsible adult losing 150 thirteen year olds and needing to find them again before anyone could go home.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Oh no, that's awful. Can you take it to a vet clinic?
I was thinking about this, but honestly I am terrfied to try and pick it up (first as I said I hate birds, but also to do mroe damage :( , it looks like its wing is broken

It was pretty funny at the time tbh. It had what felt like about seventeen identical doors and none of them seemed to be the one I came in through - I kept trying different ones in hopes that they were the exit and being like "nope, this one is turtles", "here are the fish, I guess", "oh look, I'm in the snake room again". Would have been a great design for a normal fun day out, but the architect clearly didn’t factor in a supposedly responsible adult losing 150 thirteen year olds and needing to find them again before anyone could go home.
This actually sounds like my nightmare scenario, something akin to the fever dream that Round the Twist usually was :ROFLMAO:

• Sad
Reactions: 12
I was thinking about this, but honestly I am terrfied to try and pick it up (first as I said I hate birds, but also to do mroe damage :( , it looks like its wing is broken

This actually sounds like my nightmare scenario, something akin to the fever dream that Round the Twist usually was :ROFLMAO:
Maybe google or YouTube might be handy for hints on how to handle the bird? I've picked up birds before using an old towel. Perhaps call a vet and ask for advice? I hope the poor thing is ok.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Got the all clear on medical thingy
Relieved and a bit wibbly - stress release I guess.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.