Food and Drink #23

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve no idea if it’s still been running due to pandemic but the farmers market at UCL had an amazing dosa stall. Made fresh, then a veggie filling and chilli sauce 😋.

@macrofriendly without triangulating yourself which part of the UK are you moving too? I could be getting our esteemed Fraus muddled but @Mustard seems to have a wealth of knowledge for London based food suggestions. Apologies if I’ve got the wrong Frau - but if it is Mustard you’ve mentioned a few places I’ve been to while I worked/lived in London and always brings up lovely memories.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
@EddieBeds I used to love the dosa stall at Borough Market. Spicy potato filling and covered with yoghurt-y sauce, fresh herbs, pomegranate seeds and like fried crunchy pastry vermicelli things. So good. Amazing thin/crispy dosa as well.

Reactions: 10
I’ve no idea if it’s still been running due to pandemic but the farmers market at UCL had an amazing dosa stall. Made fresh, then a veggie filling and chilli sauce 😋.

@macrofriendly without triangulating yourself which part of the UK are you moving too? I could be getting our esteemed Fraus muddled but @Mustard seems to have a wealth of knowledge for London based food suggestions. Apologies if I’ve got the wrong Frau - but if it is Mustard you’ve mentioned a few places I’ve been to while I worked/lived in London and always brings up lovely memories.
Could well have been me. Which places were mentioned that brought up lovely memories. I too love a dosa.

Reactions: 8
Could well have been me. Which places were mentioned that brought up lovely memories. I too love a dosa.
yes i think it was you, you recently mentioned a veggie indian place in either peckham or new cross that sounded amazing.

That UCL place sounds great, I didn't even know there was a market aroudn there!

Random but any of the cabal have recommendations for food in Dublin? I have had some great stuff so far but always good to know any hidden gems

Reactions: 6
Can I please have some London food recommendations for a 30 minute strolling radius of Belsize Park tube station if anyone has any thoughts. I am an omnivore (drawing the line at slop, of course) and I'll be there on an undisclosed future Sunday so a decent Sunday brunch or roast dinner would be a good shout. I was at Roast in Borough Market last summer and for a one-off very spendy post-lockdown treat it was amazing, can't stretch to that this time.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Can I please have some London food recommendations for a 30 minute strolling radius of Belsize Park tube station if anyone has any thoughts. I am an omnivore (drawing the line at slop, of course) and I'll be there on an undisclosed future Sunday so a decent Sunday brunch or roast dinner would be a good shout. I was at Roast in Borough Market last summer and for a one-off very spendy post-lockdown treat it was amazing, can't stretch to that this time.
This Filipino restaurant looks interesting:https://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/mamas-kubo

Reactions: 7
There’s a little Indian place within 30 mins by tube, near Kings Cross. I think it’s called Dishoom?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
Fraus - I don't want to get involved in the ukraine chat on here, and also don't want to get involved with the chat I had with my mum as she used to volunteer at an oxfam shop and refuses to accept that alot of their staff are bad people...but does anyone have any recommendations for where I can donate money or clothes to to ensure people in Ukraine or the refugee camps would get everything for without having a cut taken? Any thoughts would be great xx

But

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Fraus - I don't want to get involved in the ukraine chat on here, and also don't want to get involved with the chat I had with my mum as she used to volunteer at an oxfam shop and refuses to accept that alot of their staff are bad people...but does anyone have any recommendations for where I can donate money or clothes to to ensure people in Ukraine or the refugee camps would get everything for without having a cut taken? Any thoughts would be great xx

But
I actually did a bank transfer to the Ukrainian embassy - was first on the list that Jack stole and passed off as her own on Twitter.
Have to say, I question the sense of sending eg nappies and blankets the length of Europe when you can send cash and they can buy them in Poland - but then now I worry how they will get supplies through the Russian army. It’s so awful.

• Heart
Reactions: 16

But
Don’t know if this helps?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60562260 - though this is more about the bigger charities so may not be what you want? On another thread someone highlighted that while bigger charities can be problematic (for several reasons) they should have the infrastructure/experience of operating in these circumstances to get things to where they need to go and/or having the buying power to get things in bulk (eg medical supplies). Though that doesn’t detract from the very valid point you’re making.

There is a Ukrainian Church in our nearby city who are taking donations and a local school are also collecting things - both have a list of items needed posted online/SM. Could be worth having a look on local Facebook groups to see if there is something similar in your area? That way it could sidestep anyone taking a cut of donations etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 11

I'll be up north! I've only really spent time in either London or Brighton so it will be a new venture for me! I will have to call bread rolls baps!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
yes i think it was you, you recently mentioned a veggie indian place in either peckham or new cross that sounded amazing.

That UCL place sounds great, I didn't even know there was a market aroudn there!

Random but any of the cabal have recommendations for food in Dublin? I have had some great stuff so far but always good to know any hidden gems
Was it the En Root place in both Peckham and Clapham?

Reactions: 7

But
This is who I donated to. They are a verified Polish fundraiser - they've removed their original updates with pictures of volunteers loading vans of food, medical supplies etc in favour of their partner organisation logos (I think their fundraiser has exploded since I donated on Sunday)

But as @skronkywildcat mentioned about items going through, I'm also going to donate to a physical collection being run by a local church who have partnered with a Polish organisation Fundacja Ermed. I'm hoping both but at least one (the cash OR stuff) will get through whatever barriers are in place to the people who need them.

• Heart
The ladies have drifted all the way down from the coast to settle beside the main road, so I'm off on a trek to go and find them and bring them in, because they don't have a huge amount of road sense and it's a 60mph limit. I know one of my neighbours has been pushing his further away from the village gate with his dog and mine a probably fed up with being disturbed, so they can have a few weeks in a field until his come in for lambing

• Heart
  • Wow
Still missing April and one other ewe, but everyone else is home for a bit :)

20220303_143103.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I love that beach! April has turned into a right Nibbles, buggering off starting her own gang! Will they get sheared in summer, they look quite woolly already.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I love that beach! April has turned into a right Nibbles, buggering off starting her own gang! Will they get sheared in summer, they look quite woolly already.
Do you shear them yourself? They have lovely winter fleeces!
They'll probably get sheared in late June or early July, depending on weather. A few of us club together and get a team of professional shearers in, it works out about £2 a sheep (and the fleeces are worth about 50p, but it has to be done!), If anyone evades capture then I can clip with hand shears, but it's pretty back-breaking and it takes me 20-30 minutes to do one ewe. I have an elderly friend who has three old ewes that I go and clip sometimes, he didn't need me last year and I don't know how many of them are still alive, I think they were in their mid-teens when I last did them in 2020. That's always a long afternoon because they're very fly ewes and it usually takes me and my dog several attempts to pen them - last time they leapt a dodgy bit of fence into the neighbouring croft and had to be retrieved in a trailer!

Think I'm going to have to give Nibbles an injection as she's still feeling that foot :(

• Heart
Reactions: 14
team of professional shearers in, it works out about £2 a sheep
Ahhh I've seen something similar on Countryfile.

Wool is a brilliant natural fibre, hopefully it'll get a resurgence as more fashion houses and building designs go greener, and the value goes up. 50p a fleece is shocking. Worth so much more than that!

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.