Food and Drink #22 Off-topic Jacktivities

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can’t believe @MaineCoonMama is planning on eating a whole box tomorrow (today?)
I've just had a look and there's a box of 6 for $5 AUD at the Coles near my doctors office. I don't think I'll eat all 6.
My husband once ate 18 donuts in one day so I'm going to hide these somewhere because he will inhale them.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
We’re having a bit of a Meat Loaf party on the Saturday Night Kitchen Disco thread, it’s great. I’m listening to the full 9 minutes 50 seconds version of Bat Out Of Hell and it is LIFE! It’s like a whole movie in a song.

• Heart
We’re having a bit of a Meat Loaf party on the Saturday Night Kitchen Disco thread, it’s great. I’m listening to the full 9 minutes 50 seconds version of Bat Out Of Hell and it is LIFE! It’s like a whole movie in a song.
Paradise by the Dashboard Light is over 15mins and it has the guy and girl parts!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Am also escaping chaos, and wish to put a question out there if the fraus do not mind, so I may grunk any answers tomorrow.

What do you cook as a more "meditative", "self care" experience? Not sure how to phrase it, but I cook very little as I often go "it's not worth the effort just for me". Occasionally, though, I want to make myself something beautiful and just spend a good amount of time in the kitchen, chopping and appreciating the smell and feel of the ingredients in my hands. Time and effort and care put into what turns into a really beautiful meal to sit and savour. But on these occasions I just... have absolutely no clue what to make.

So, (vegetarian) suggestions would be super welcome. Apologies if that all sounds extra wanky!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
my parents sent me a photo of one of their cats sitting close to a fox in the garden the other day so I guess a koala is also logical :ROFLMAO:
OMG! Previous Woohcats used to be friends with a possum. I'd often go to the deck and find Woohcats and possum sitting on the railing together. It was so funny

Absolute radgepacket right now.

Feel like if I go on my other thread I will be angry for no reason and that isn’t fair.

Properly need a koala hug.
I believe a quokka may assist. Photo from twitter account Quokka Every Hour

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Am also escaping chaos, and wish to put a question out there if the fraus do not mind, so I may grunk any answers tomorrow.

What do you cook as a more "meditative", "self care" experience? Not sure how to phrase it, but I cook very little as I often go "it's not worth the effort just for me". Occasionally, though, I want to make myself something beautiful and just spend a good amount of time in the kitchen, chopping and appreciating the smell and feel of the ingredients in my hands. Time and effort and care put into what turns into a really beautiful meal to sit and savour. But on these occasions I just... have absolutely no clue what to make.

So, (vegetarian) suggestions would be super welcome. Apologies if that all sounds extra wanky!
I find it very soothing to make a proper risotto. When in season, fresh broad bean and asparagus and in winter, frozen beans and peas. If you don’t mind imported, asparagus in winter too. I like all the chopping and the slow adding of warm stock and stirring, usually with music on and a glass of wine. Any leftover can be turned into arancini.

I like making minestrone soup as well. Roasting the veg in a tray first, then chopping it fairly small and uniform.

When I want something nice but very quick it’ll be a soufflé omelette, which reminds me, I haven’t made a twice baked cheese soufflé for ages. I love that with a really special side salad. Both of those are no bother for one and all of them keep for more than one meal.

• Heart
Reactions: 12

I totally get what you mean! I don’t get on well with mindfulness or spa visits but I can happily inhale the nice smells of toiletries, or tidy up and have a sit down dinner at the table!
I’m a terrible cook, though.
My fave gousto recipes lately are easy peanut butter pad Thai which is vegan, or burritos which is vegan if you use vegan cheese, if you’re tempted by any I can upload the recipe card?

• Heart

On those days I love making a good stir fry. It sounds counterintuitive, but there's a fair bit of thoughtful prep: eg chopping, sauce making, pressing and slicing tofu. Placing the little bowls (and a pile of noodles) on the bench after a quick clean up; it all looks so smart and delicious, then WHOOMPH! Into the fire it goes, crackle, steam, whooshka! Add the sauce SIZZLE! Slide in the noodles, AAAHHH SO SOOTHING! It's like a party as it rises to a peak, then settles into beautiful intensity. I listen to music and the whole process is like a great song. I may or may not pretend I'm a teppinyaki chef

ETA: I feel pleased with myself too when I just make an effort for a nice looking sandwich: grated carrots, strips of cucumbers, hummus (colourful) and serving it on a good plate, with a "nice" glass of chosen beverage

Last edited:
  • Heart
I'm sending a box of Cherry Ripes to
1 England St
England
You'll have to fight amongst yourselves, just make sure Emm gets at least one.
just to make it slightly easier for the postie, could you change the address to
1 London St,
London
?no worries f it is send though :ROFLMAO:

I've always wanted to try Tunnocks Caramel wafers and Penguin bars, they feature heavily in the Scottish series I read (the Logan Macrae books by Stuart MacBride). I've seen them in the British food section but they're so expensive! I don't know if it's just FOMO but you guyses seem to have better chocolate selections. Apart from Tim Tams.
honestly penguins are like a (much,much) less good tim tam,except the cringe jokes I wouldn't bother. Tunnocks wafers
(and tea cakes) though are amazing

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Missed chocolate chat… but cereal is top tier food. Particularly Start. It is just as well they don’t sell it anymore.

You all talking about penguins has made me think that penguins are probably the cutest thing ever. I mean, they walk miles and miles, protect eggs and groom to remove parasites so their feathers remain insulting enough. Some are monogamous, some are serially monogamous.

• Heart
Missed chocolate chat… but cereal is top tier food. Particularly Start. It is just as well they don’t sell it anymore.

You all talking about penguins has made me think that penguins are probably the cutest thing ever. I mean, they walk miles and miles, protect eggs and groom to remove parasites so their feathers remain insulting enough. Some are monogamous, some are serially monogamous.
My friend's son made them cuter by calling them 'pigwids'. I can't call them anything else now!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
Morning all. I’m on day 3 of Covid and feel utterly rancid.

I’m sending Mr Mariner out for Tunnocks Teacakes immediately- quite why this advice isn’t on the NHS as an official Covid cure is beyond me. I’m sure it’s gonna perk me right up!!

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I sometimes had Rocky bars. A jam sandwich, a petit filous, an orange, a bar of some sort or mini cheddars or iced gems and milk. Thatcher didn’t take my milk away!
I also loved the kiwis with the wee spoon knife you could get before I became allergic to them. And the mini Pringles pots that mum would fill from the big tub. Mine was pink with glitter ✨
Omg Rocky bars were amazing I’d forgotten about those! My Nan would always pack Gold bars for a picnic. I know both of those still exist but they aren’t quite the same!

@PinkMariner I hope you feel better soon.

• Heart

Risotto, definitely. Also, making mayonnaise from scratch to eat with globe artichokes. Nigel Slater's seedy soda bread with potato and leek soup. There's a lovely Diana Henry goat curd (set with veggie rennet) with blueberries, and making a fancy salad can be extremely soothing (lots of shredding and chopping, nice oil and vinegars).

• Heart
I find it very soothing to make a proper risotto. When in season, fresh broad bean and asparagus and in winter, frozen beans and peas. If you don’t mind imported, asparagus in winter too. I like all the chopping and the slow adding of warm stock and stirring, usually with music on and a glass of wine. Any leftover can be turned into arancini.

I like making minestrone soup as well. Roasting the veg in a tray first, then chopping it fairly small and uniform.

When I want something nice but very quick it’ll be a soufflé omelette, which reminds me, I haven’t made a twice baked cheese soufflé for ages. I love that with a really special side salad. Both of those are no bother for one and all of them keep for more than one meal.
Ohh, I have not attempted a minestrone. Good ideas! Souffle omelette sounds exceptionally fancy for all that it's quick.

I totally get what you mean! I don’t get on well with mindfulness or spa visits but I can happily inhale the nice smells of toiletries, or tidy up and have a sit down dinner at the table!
I’m a terrible cook, though.
My fave gousto recipes lately are easy peanut butter pad Thai which is vegan, or burritos which is vegan if you use vegan cheese, if you’re tempted by any I can upload the recipe card?
Please, yes! I'm trying to reduce my dairy intake these days too, but burritos in general sounds delicious. :)

On those days I love making a good stir fry. It sounds counterintuitive, but there's a fair bit of thoughtful prep: eg chopping, sauce making, pressing and slicing tofu. Placing the little bowls (and a pile of noodles) on the bench after a quick clean up; it all looks so smart and delicious, then WHOOMPH! Into the fire it goes, crackle, steam, whooshka! Add the sauce SIZZLE! Slide in the noodles, AAAHHH SO SOOTHING! It's like a party as it rises to a peak, then settles into beautiful intensity. I listen to music and the whole process is like a great song. I may or may not pretend I'm a teppinyaki chef

ETA: I feel pleased with myself too when I just make an effort for a nice looking sandwich: grated carrots, strips of cucumbers, hummus (colourful) and serving it on a good plate, with a "nice" glass of chosen beverage
Haha aw, that sense of fun and pleased-ness is exactly some of what I'm after! Should be easy to get lots of my veggies in too. Thank you!!

Risotto, definitely. Also, making mayonnaise from scratch to eat with globe artichokes. Nigel Slater's seedy soda bread with potato and leek soup. There's a lovely Diana Henry goat curd (set with veggie rennet) with blueberries, and making a fancy salad can be extremely soothing (lots of shredding and chopping, nice oil and vinegars).
That fancy salad sounds wooooonderful (they all do!). I'll have to try it!

• Heart

Middle Eastern food is always my go-to for things like this. Finely slicing pink onions to set aside and pickle while you turn your attention to making falafel, tabbouleh, griddled aubergines etc.

My eldest is turning 27 in March (when did that happen!!) and has had a rotten time with his birthday being in lockdowns twice so at the moment I'm trialling lots from Ottolenghi's Jerusalem cookbook ahead of making a big birthday meal for him. Would really recommend!

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.