Food and Drink #21

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
thanks again for everyone's nice thoughts last night. I'm glad I have this space to vent tit. ❤

I'm kinda still pissed off with myself that I haven't been enjoying this week as much as I should have, but that's fucken life, I guess.

(I'm also still safe and ok, if anyone was wondering)

anyhoo, I'm being a big brave girl and I've agreed to go to lunch tomorrow with my mr kcc, his mam and his brother. I know it'll be fine, but it's the first time I've been anywhere that's not work or lidl since his dad's funeral and I'm so apprehensive about it
I’m so glad you’re ok. Please don’t be pissed of with yourself though, it’s hard for a lot of people to enjoy things at the moment, and then with everything you’ve been through I can’t even imagine how hard it would be ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I’m so glad you’re ok. Please don’t be pissed of with yourself though, it’s hard for a lot of people to enjoy things at the moment, and then with everything you’ve been through I can’t even imagine how hard it would be ❤

thank you so much. you are so supportive of so many of us. hope you're doing ok. hugs if you want them ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 12
thank you so much. you are so supportive of so many of us. hope you're doing ok. hugs if you want them ❤
Aww so are loads of us, it’s just such a lovely bunch of people here. Thank you kcc, hugs always welcome and right back at you if wanted too.

I can’t sleep so have fallen down Wikipedia, reading about Nirvana and it reminded me that when “In Utero“ came out I thought it was a live album 😬 I didn’t know what ‘utero’ meant and just assumed it was a place in America!

And kind of on topic, this tweet of all the times Columbo eats in the show is hilarious (hope the link works).

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Aww so are loads of us, it’s just such a lovely bunch of people here. Thank you kcc, hugs always welcome and right back at you if wanted too.

I can’t sleep so have fallen down Wikipedia, reading about Nirvana and it reminded me that when “In Utero“ came out I thought it was a live album 😬 I didn’t know what ‘utero’ meant and just assumed it was a place in America!

And kind of on topic, this tweet of all the times Columbo eats in the show is hilarious (hope the link works).

Mrs T is a massive fan and when I found out Dave Grohl was originally in Nirvana, it precipitated the biggest eye roll ever.

But as we say, every day is a a school day.

🥸

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I didn't appreciate Nirvana until years after Kurt passed. I was all about death metal at the time and thought grunge was just jangly shite. I'd still dance to it at the Goth club I used to go to but that was more the, erm, 'leisure supplements' than liking the music.

• Haha
  • Heart
I didn't appreciate Nirvana until years after Kurt passed. I was all about death metal at the time and thought grunge was just jangly shite. I'd still dance to it at the Goth club I used to go to but that was more the, erm, 'leisure supplements' than liking the music.
Loving that you thought grunge was “jangly shite”.

What about those of us who favoured a bit of Longpigs or (whispers) Matchbox 20?

• Haha
  • Wow
“jangly shite” 🤣 It really WOULD sound like that compared to death metal though! I was the same, it took me a few years to appreciate Nirvana, and when the Foo Fighters first started I had no idea about Dave, so I just thought they were a cool new band.

Loving that you thought grunge was “jangly shite”.

What about those of us who favoured a bit of Longpigs or (whispers) Matchbox 20?
Omg the Longpigs! The singer had such a brilliant voice, I’ll never forget his literal scream from “She Said”!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
“jangly shite” 🤣 It really WOULD sound like that compared to death metal though! I was the same, it took me a few years to appreciate Nirvana, and when the Foo Fighters first started I had no idea about Dave, so I just thought they were a cool new band.

Omg the Longpigs! The singer had such a brilliant voice, I’ll never forget his literal scream from “She Said”!
I know. They kind of went under the radar.

Lost in nineties indie now. Listening to Echobelly at the moment.

• Heart
The funniest thing I’ve found from the journey down Wikipedia is that Steve Albini, who’s like a music producer legend, closely associated with the band, and did end up producing them said this -

Albini dismissed Nirvana as "R.E.M.with a fuzzbox" and "an unremarkable version of the Seattle sound". However, he accepted the job because he felt sorry for them, perceiving them as "the same sort of people as all the small-fry bands I deal with", at the mercy of their record company.[24]
- @MaineCoonMama probably his polite way of saying “jangly shite”.

I know. They kind of went under the radar.

Lost in nineties indie now. Listening to Echobelly at the moment.
Under the radar nineties indie is my “niche” 😂 I loved Echobelly, had such a crush on both Sonja and Debbie. Do they still sound good today? At the time “On” was like a classic album!

• Haha
  • Heart
The funniest thing I’ve found from the journey down Wikipedia is that Steve Albini, who’s like a music producer legend, closely associated with the band, and did end up producing them said this -

- @MaineCoonMama probably his polite way of saying “jangly shite”.

Under the radar nineties indie is my “niche” 😂 I loved Echobelly, had such a crush on both Sonja and Debbie. Do they still sound good today? At the time “On” was like a classic album!
I don’t know much anything about Nirvana but I wouldn’t put them in the same sentence as R.E.M. ( not for quality, just for genre and who they might appeal to- you often hear the latter at weddings when all and sundry get up to dance and I would have thought the former was a bit more niche but maybe I am wrong?).

Listening to the oldies for nostalgia atm. When Justine from Elastica was mentioned on the MT, it was like a bullet. Swoon central.

• Heart
I don’t know much anything about Nirvana but I wouldn’t put them in the same sentence as R.E.M. ( not for quality, just for genre and who they might appeal to- you often hear the latter at weddings when all and sundry get up to dance and I would have thought the former was a bit more niche but maybe I am wrong?).

Listening to the oldies for nostalgia atm. When Justine from Elastica was mentioned on the MT, it was like a bullet. Swoon central.
Ikr, that’s why I thought it was so funny! It’s like Albini was THAT deep into alternative music that to him Nirvana were like R.E.M!

Justine is a megababe 😍

I don’t know if I’m biased because of my age at the time, but the 90s was such a great time for music, so many genres were just smashing it, like indie, r&b and hip-hop, dance music of the 90s omg, even big ballads were at their best in the 90s!

• Heart
We have this conversation all the time. It is really difficult to figure out because we were forming important aspects of ourselves at that time so the music inherently becomes inbuilt into our own set of self- schemas that we use everyday.

Additionally, (boring science bit incoming) there is research to suggest that our brain is at its most rational between the ages of 30-45 at which point, it starts to decline. This means that the world looks most tit (to put it bluntly) during these years so we look back at our younger selves through rose-tinted glasses (this could explain why the music seems so much better ☺). It also explains why many people feel disillusioned during this time, because our brains are simply seeing things for what they actually are.

(This is a VERY simple version and I could go on but I won’t- when we are young we aren’t as rational, when we are older, the brain starts to deteriorate)

In summary- there is a psychological reason for why 90s music is epic (for people who were teens then obviously- my parents bleat on about late 60s/early 70s) ❤

edit- BORING tunnel post.

Question: what is Chandler’s middle name 🤣🤣

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
We have this conversation all the time. It is really difficult to figure out because we were forming important aspects of ourselves at that time so the music inherently becomes inbuilt into our own set of self- schemas that we use everyday.

Additionally, (boring science bit incoming) there is research to suggest that our brain is at its most rational between the ages of 30-45 at which point, it starts to decline. This means that the world looks most tit (to put it bluntly) during these years so we look back at our younger selves through rose-tinted glasses (this could explain why the music seems so much better ☺). It also explains why many people feel disillusioned during this time, because our brains are simply seeing things for what they actually are.

(This is a VERY simple version and I could go on but I won’t- when we are young we aren’t as rational, when we are older, the brain starts to deteriorate)

In summary- there is a psychological reason for why 90s music is epic (for people who were teens then obviously- my parents bleat on about late 60s/early 70s) ❤

edit- BORING tunnel post.

Question: what is Chandler’s middle name 🤣🤣
This is like a whole world of mind-blowing information, I love it. It makes perfect sense, and I really appreciate you explaining such a complex idea in a simple way.
It‘s so true as well about different generations and what they love, my mum‘s the same, although when I mention “mid 90’s r&b” to her she knows it’s the good stuff!

Thinking back, I was actually lucky that I just missed the boat with Nirvana and really got into Oasis. I was quite a mentally unwell teen (kudos to anyone who wasn‘t!) and Oasis‘ music was just so enthusiastic. Instead of grunge I got into music that just gives you life. There’s a quote from Noel Gallagher about how “Live Forever“ was like the antidote to grunge.
I’ll put it behind a spoiler because he mentions some dark things, but basically he heard Kurt’s lyrics and said “screw that, I’m gonna live forever!”.

Noel Gallagher on Live Forever -

“At the time it was written in the middle of grunge and all that,” Gallagher said in 2013. “I remember Nirvana had a tune called ‘I Hate Myself and Want to Die’, and I was like ‘Well, I’m not bleeping having that.’ As much as I bleeping like him [Cobain] and all that tit, I’m not having that.”

“I can’t have people like that coming over here, on smack, bleeping saying that they hate themselves and they wanna die,” he added. “That’s bleeping rubbish. Kids don’t need to be hearing that nonsense. Seems to me that there was a guy who had everything, and was miserable about it. And we had duck-all, and I still thought that getting up in the morning was the greatest fuckin’ thing ever, ’cause you didn’t know where you’d end up at night. And we didn’t have a pot to piss in, but it was bleeping great, man,” he recalled fondly.”

And that’s why I’m so glad I got into Oasis as a teen. I know a lot of people don’t like them, and that’s fine, but the bit in bold really comes across in their music. They were like your older brothers who‘d made it big and just loving life.

ETA Re Chandler, omg I don’t know this! Did you know it off the top of your head?

• Heart
Chandler- no, didn’t get that one right

Muriel

That Oasis story is just amazing.

Growing up near Manchester, when they became what they did holds something special in my heart. Unfortunately, I never got to see them, although I did see Blur and Pulp. I was meant to see the Stereophonics at the SU but I had a test the next day and binned out. That test really got me far didn’t it?

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Chandler- no, didn’t get that one right

Muriel
Reminds me of an iconic Gunther (RIP) scene.

Joey - hey Gunther, have you seen Chandler?

Gunther - I thought you were Chandler

Joey -

Gunther - well, one of you is over there

• Haha
  • Heart
Sidey B, I love that Oasis quote! I had a rough time as a teen due to MH issues and family stuff. I can honestly say that heavy metal saved my life and sanity many times over. Other music to a lesser extent now I'm 54 but
I can completely understand what you mean.

• Heart
Alright I'm too scared of mask wearing cheese to sleep now. IIRC there are a few peeps on here that could explain things about fillers to me?

I have questions (we do not learn about these things as paramedics but you lot are a trusted resource for a shadowy cabal) as I'm tempted to give it a try.

• Heart
Alright I'm too scared of mask wearing cheese to sleep now. IIRC there are a few peeps on here that could explain things about fillers to me?

I have questions (we do not learn about these things as paramedics but you lot are a trusted resource for a shadowy cabal) as I'm tempted to give it a try.
I know nothing about fillers but cannot sleep either!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.