Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

EddieBeds

VIP Member
Thanks for the warm thoughts. It was a Reception class, they were busy playing (or “learning through experience “, as it’s now called), chatting and practicing for the Christmas concert.
Were you at my son’s school?! This sounds like what he did today (and his teacher is off sick)! Though I appreciate it’s likely to be the case in a high number of schools re: practicing for school concerts etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Thank you guys so much for the pan recommendations - I’ll investigate tomorrow (at my desk at work 👀) and get back to you! The whole cast iron not washing it thing gives me the heeby jeebies tbh. Heard it adds flavour but surely that flavour is just burnt / meat? 😳

Hate buying for my husband at Christmas too - food is a good idea but omnicron has other ideas for us all this year 😫 x
I wash my cast iron pan. I’m vegetarian, so I don’t know if that makes a difference?

Mustard

VIP Member
I would say you have to boil it (alcohol has a lower bp than water) so if you just warm it to say 60 degrees then the alcohol will still be there.

By warming up to 80 for a while, then the alcohol should evaporate off to be safe ( in my opinion).
Thanks for your opinion. I wonder what would the case be if it was done in a microwave.

HotesTilaire

VIP Member
I like the black fruit cake I think it’s Bajan the fruit is soaked in rum and blended. It’s like a giant tipsy nakd bar cake

• Heart

Hollaaa

VIP Member
My Russells are back to full health, cling film has worked its magic! Sorry, the environment, but I definitely recommend for not quite bad enough for minor injuries burns.

Random question in amongst all the frozen fruit and veg chat but can anyone 🔺 Nadiya's dress from Graham Norton?
Screenshot_20211117-135347.jpg

• Heart
I’ve been inspired by the frozen fruit chat!
Can anyone recommend frozen “cut up” swede?
It’s too difficult for me to cut now because of a health problem.

• Heart

emm

VIP Member
Thank you for saying that, I totally agree - we've been away for the weekend and I swear I'm half a stone heavier than I was on Friday!! The hotel we were staying in has the most amazing restaurant, it used to be overseen by Albert Roux, but they've gone independent now without any drop in quality. So on Friday night I had a celeriac and apple veloute poured into a bowl around a quinelle of horseradish mousse, followed by Angus beef with locally-foraged mushrooms, shallots and tenderstem broccoli, and then something they called Textures of Chocolate for dessert, which was two chocolate biscuits sandwiched together with salted caramel, a chocolate cake and something else which I've promptly forgotten but was bloody delicious. Then last night I had duck rillette on truffle brioche with figs to start, followed by roast partridge with a partridge pithivier, salsify, bread sauce and a madeira jus, and then strawberry and lemon sorbet to finish.

Absolutely amazing and also they do a three-course breakfast menu - you start with either porridge, homemade muesli, vanilla-poached pears in homemade yoghurt or a fruit and berry bowl, then you have a choice of a full Scottish, kippers, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs or an omelette, and then it's toast, croissants and pastries. I failed to reach the croissants and pastries stage both mornings!
yummmm . out of interest what is in a full scottish?

• Heart

Into_the_tunnel

VIP Member
I follow Waitrose (😏) on Instagram and they posted a butternut, savoy and gnocchi recipe this morning.

It looks scrummy.

It uses crème fraiche and Parmesan but these could easily be swapped to make it veegs.

DuckDuck

VIP Member
It has taken 2 hours, plus being wrapped in a fleecy blanket to warm up. Another day of supply teaching in a freezing cold classroom. I know it needs to be done, but it was 🥶
Why so cold ? Doesn't the school have heating? Its flippin boiling when I do cover work in a particular school

• Sad