Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Mustard

VIP Member
]I have just seen this on another thread and just had to post it here.

I hope it works.

View attachment 875390
I can’t see it.

Is anyone else getting adverts for dried vegetables appearing? 1 kg for £8.05? Seems expensive. Anyone ever used them? Seems like an interesting store cupboard item to have in case of shortages or during bad weather.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5

emm

VIP Member
Sainsbury’s used to sell one like this but it also had little bits of pasta in too. I used to make this recipe, which at the time said “country soup mix” instead of the lentils and pearl barley it does now. Just use this mix and and add your own little pasta if you like.

waitrose so a similar one which is good too https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/waitrose-soup-mix/071824-36466-36467
perfect winter food

• Heart

jordishaw

Chatty Member
I am enjoying Claire Thomson / 5 o'clock apron's recipes and Instagram at the moment (careful with the spelling though, there is also a Clare Thompson whose books may not contain much cooking) - nice, peaceful, good antidote to the MT thread battering.

Cariad

VIP Member
Oh I have an instant pot (but still not fully to grips with it) - do you pressure cook for 20mins? Love the idea of adding chicken stock, might raid the freezer as I think I have some frozen from our last roast.
I make the chicken stock in the instant pot first cover chicken bones with water ( cook for 30-35 minutes- makes excellent stock) then strip carcass of any remaining meat and add this to the strained stock, then add soup mix, leeks , potatoes etc ( can also get soup mix that doesn't need soaking) and pressure cook for further 30 mins and adjust seasoning - chef's kiss

• Heart

Mustard

VIP Member
@traumatised sideboard I’m so envious of the pretzel rolls. Lidl used to do soft pretzels and I’d buy a kit and freeze them. I eat them warm with guess what? Mustard! Those vegan bratwurst and bockwurst look amazing. Are they sold in any high street health food stores like Holland and Barrett?
A lot, not a kit!

Reactions: 4

Mustard

VIP Member
You speak about this so well and sorry that you are going through this. Social anxiety can be crippling at times and people just assume you are being antisocial and want to stay at home but the feeling is entirely different.

I think although we are talking about MH more now in society, people still have a very reductionist idea of what certain conditions entail. Depression = sadness, ED= not eating , anxiety= stressed out. The fact is there is so much cross over between them. You can have psychotic episodes without being classified as psychotic, ED can cause you to have social anxiety due to the fear of eating in front of people etc. Particularly with depression, the feeling of not being good enough transfers to every part of life.

Acceptance by society is coming but I am not sure understanding is 100% there yet. MH is so complicated, unless you have experienced it, it is very difficult to fully empathise.

People still tell me things which will set off a day or two of not eating followed by bingeing (even though I have asked them not to mention weight loss, how their diet is going etc).

I know it is corny, but my mantra was to just complete each day.❤🤗

The general consensus in this house is vegan spread and peanut butter.

But NEVER sunpat 🤣🤣🤣.
Why not? It‘s very underrated. There are lots of Waitrose customers cheesed off that it’s no longer sold there. Waitrose subbed their own essential range. I get mine at Iceland.😋

Attachments

Mustard

VIP Member
Did anyone used to use the bottled concentrated stock, I think it was Knorr, maybe at some point called "touch of taste"? Does anyone know if this or an alternative exists any more? M&S used to do concentrated stock in a jar but I can't see that now either.
The packaging of the fancy pots seems wasteful and sometimes I don't need that amount. Insta advertised me some stock in tubes but there were added herbs which i wouldn't always want.
Also Morrisons does spreadable butter in a tub with Lurpak colours, but it's just called "Spreadable", not like Lurspread or Spreadpak. Does anyone know if this is a Lurpak dupe? x
Are you thinking of Maggi?

Atruck

Did anyone used to use the bottled concentrated stock, I think it was Knorr, maybe at some point called "touch of taste"? Does anyone know if this or an alternative exists any more? M&S used to do concentrated stock in a jar but I can't see that now either.
The packaging of the fancy pots seems wasteful and sometimes I don't need that amount. Insta advertised me some stock in tubes but there were added herbs which i wouldn't always want.
Also Morrisons does spreadable butter in a tub with Lurpak colours, but it's just called "Spreadable", not like Lurspread or Spreadpak. Does anyone know if this is a Lurpak dupe? x

Mustard

VIP Member
I have my nana’s bakestone as well. She made great Welsh cakes (even though she was English). I follow her recipe, but add an egg ((she was frugal).
The cheese Welsh cake recipe also has an egg. I haven’t made them yet.

Would love to see pictures of the bakestones!

• Heart

Captainmouse

VIP Member
I am so sorry cable but you’re wrong, Whole Earth peanut butter is where it’s at. And it’s an abomination to have peanut butter on toast without an ample layer of butter (or equivalent) first.

Message ends
All I remember about whole earth was a nasty bitter taste, one bite, and jar went in bin 🤢
meridan haven’t had the peanut, but love the cashew and almond

Mustard

VIP Member
No - I have my Nanna’s bakestone, which was her grandmothers and I make normal Welsh cakes/slight variants on it but have never tried savoury nor seen a savoury variety. Though she was a purist and thinks (or did - she has dementia now bless her) I’m straying from tradition as I dust mine in sugar once made where as she never did.

Do you have a recipe as I might (depending on your results) try!
I took that picture from a website called Mrs. Jones’ Kitchen.

• Heart

jordishaw

Chatty Member
Well lads you’ve just influenced me to add two Idahoans to my online shop. My child refuses my mash because it’s too lumpy (it’s not) and not yummy like at school. I know. Rude as fuck. 🙄
It is on special at the moment, Sainsbury's online (also influenced!)