Food and Drink #19

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Glad you're recovering and good luck with the second date!

Had to walk to work today because the people who did last year's MOT were absolute cowboys, was in a rush so was going to leave my wife to feed the cats but my little one followed me all the way down the street yelling at me til we got to the main road and I had to turn back and go feed her. She never ever strays that far usually.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Same, babe!

Nursery has been really tough for us too with a never ending string of illnesses, been there with H&F, norovirus, vomiting bug last week, this week a cough. It really grinds you down as a working mummy and I say this all the time but idk how the duck women did it before the remote working ~revolution?! Horrific. I have no tips other than it’ll pass soon enough promise my love, 111 are brilliant with baby concerns so if you get worried do give them a call and they’ll have a doctor call you back ASAP. Have found pharmacists very hit and miss sadly!

Brilliant re: dairy ladder! How exciting as this opens up a whole new world. Are you still vegan? How’s that going? Also happy first birthday cutie baby Beds ❤❤❤

Baby H is also now over one, do we still call them babies? Are they toddlers? She’s so funny, although not sure if I’ve just lost it or if she’s legit funny? And getting smarter by the day, she can now say no to requests for kisses and when I ask if she wants her nappy changed.

Insanely she has a full set of teeth (weirdly early) so is thriving with food thank god as weaning was my least favourite part of motherhood, nursery definitely helps with that. Yesterday we had a <then everybody clapped> Twitter moment with food - we went to that little known indie restaurant called Wagamama’s & a man in his 60s from the plastic screen booth next to us came over at the end of his meal and said how lovely it was to see her just getting on with a Katsu curry (she mainly had the side salad and rice tbh), and how you’d never have had that in his day. Tbf you didn’t have that in mine either lol but I was proud she did really well with it!

Sometimes I have my doubts over attachment parenting and if I’ve made the right choice? Sleep is eternally tough (thankfully nursery have managed to get her napping there which I feared would be impossible) and nursery have mentioned she’s very cuddly (read: clingy) and are over the moon when she has more independent play time. I hope I haven’t made her destined to be unhappy when she’s away from me, or that she’s losing out on independence? At home she’s like mummy who??? She’s desperate to get out or bounce etc so I’m not *too* worried it’s just the eternal creeping doubt isn’t it. Same with work any adversity I’m like duck this I’m off, although the last week has been ✨brilliant✨ and I am loving it!
I had the same thought yesterday, when does it transition from baby to toddler?! Wow that is one hell of an induction you’ve been through to the cesspit of germs that is nursery (I say cesspit it’s a necessary right of passage for immunity but it’s TOUGH). I remember my eldest being a constant stream of snot for the first three months he was at nursery and then the dreaded vomiting bug he shared. I always forget 111, will keep that in mind. He has his immunisations coming up this week too (which I hate - am so mere hearted I get just as upset).

Baby Beds Consultant said that they’re forecasting a rough winter and not to be alarmed if he’s getting more viruses or needing a few rounds of antibiotics as with everyone reintegrating there will be more stuff doing the rounds. Guess if we’re forewarned we’re forearmed a little.

I’m so relieved we’ve got through the ladders so far and just have milk to go. Baby Beds can’t get round the texture of egg yet and I guess it is strange. Our bf journey has come to an end (we were down to one feed and BabyBeds self weaned which was kinder all round) so I’m slowly reintroducing too - soya and egg have been no problem, though I am having lower quantities, milk and I are not getting on. Years ago it was identified that I have an issue with lactose so I don’t consume a lot of milk (never liked the taste) and use lactose free milk etc but even a small amount which I could chance in the past is flaring my IBS. Ironically having cut it out entirely when bf my IBS was a lot a better.

I’m also lucky that Baby Beds will eat anything and everything pretty much even with only a small number of teeth. That’s incredible that Baby H has all her teeth! I also loathed weaning with both mine - which a lot of other people I know don’t get. I think I just found it very labour intensive and pressured. But it’s so nice when you’re out and people compliment you on your bubba. Also I love this age with them and watching that development curve and their personalities - she sounds brilliant!

Please don’t beat yourself up re: what type/style of parenting you have chosen. Babies are all individuals and will have their own personalities/traits. Little Beds is ‘clingy’ - always has been and it’s just who he is - he (like me) struggles with change/settling into new routines but he gets there. And while his peers may be different to him in that respect there will be other areas where he is potentially leading his peers if that makes sense? Not to scare but hopefully reassure Little Beds took ages to settle into nursery drop off/not getting upset but he got there and was clearly happy and his transition to school, while a bit bumpy hasn’t been the same. His sleep is also better than when he was a baby - as in it eventually settled. Doesn’t take away from the tiredness but hopefully Baby H will settle. Baby Beds is definitely the more confident of the two, so far has found drop offs easier but no idea if that’s a younger sibling thing or simply who he is? Our nursery were really reassuring when I said that Baby Beds still has a cuddle and falls asleep on one of us post bedtime bottle or at naps before being moved across to his cot - their words were ‘they’re only little for so long so enjoy the cuddles’. Then told me they have a rocking chair they all covet when it comes to doing the naps! My eldest used to sleep (and eat) a lot better at nursery - it’s like some voodoo magic of being around other babies I swear!

As rewarding as parenting is it can also be so tough and relentless and as long as you’re surrounding your child with love and reassurance it doesn’t matter what style of parenting (within reason) you’re taking. We all do what is right for our circumstances and family. I say this and have to tell myself this but we have so many sticks we already beat ourselves with that don’t doubt yourself and your ability to raise Baby H to be a strong individual when you clearly are.

Also the work juggle - my employer only allows me two paid days/year for dependency leave and you have to ‘apply’ for it! The system is still so against women returning to work and you seem to get punished/screwed over whether you stay at home (whether by choice or forced because not economically viable), work part time or full time!

Congratulations little Baby Beds for turning one. There will be documentaries made about the babies born this year! I didnt experience reflux with my two but my friend did and I know its exhausting trying to rule in or rule out all of the causes. Ig I remember rightly her son grew out of it after a year so fingers crossed.
I had never heard of hand, foot & mouth when my eldest got it from nursery!!! I thought it was an animal disease. Ours was a mild case but I remember being worried as I was pregnant with my second at the time. Hope Baby beds is over it soon. How are you feeling about returning to work?

I am much better today thanks but I have been doing very little. Thankfully the boys dad agreed to take them an extra night. I am not sure how I am going to feel trying to get back to some sort of normal life next week. My brain feels really slow.

I do have a second date planned though. He has been really nice and texted me every day to see how I am.

What is everyone up to today? I am watching Bake Off and have a FANCY M&S roast veg pizza ready for later.

Congrats to you and baby H for making it to one!
Its like a double whammy going back to work and the inevitable poorly child situations from being newly exposed to all these germs. Looking back I dont know how I did it as I had to travel for work at times. At one point I had two under two and worked full time so the three of us had to be up dressed and ready for day at nursery drop off. I can safely say that I recall to TV, films, music etc from that time I was permanently BUSY.

Its always a lovely parenting moment when someone comments on your childs behaviour in a restaurant. Even better when its a little known indie one.

Dont worry about your parenting style. I think we all know what the right thing is by instinct. You sound like you have one lovely and contented baby.
Thank you! Haha I too thought it was an animal disease and did nearly ask our resident sheep expert if they had any tips! I’m hoping re: reflux once he’s walking that will help too as he’ll be more upright.

Also two under two!!!! Respect - the juggle with one is real at times and with two is a whole new level but couldn’t imagine doing it with a smaller age gap. But guessing it’s one of those ‘you don’t know any different so get stuck in’ things isn’t it?

I’m a bit indifferent to returning to work. Looking forward to having that space back for me but also little enthusiasm for the job itself but trying to work out my pathway to retraining. They’re also trying to force us back into the office and threatening pay cuts - my working pattern pre pandemic was WFH with some office trips so the thought of having to argue that is a bit annoying. It should be fairly straightforward as all the paper work is there but just hassle you know.
Sounds a good idea to take it steady. Bake Off: An Extra Slice is good too. I’m looking forward to the final of Vigil tonight - though it was entering parody territory with its constant jumping to different suspects every ten minutes during an episode each week I have enjoyed it.

Can highly recommend the M&S Thai box meal for £10 to anyone who loves Thai food. We have a

Also can’t wait to hear about your upcoming date. Love hearing your updates 🥰.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I think if you have a good employer then its a tonic retuning to work. I love my job and when I returned from mat leave my manager was a woman with a stay at home husband but who was totally sympathetic to any bump in the road I had. I think if you are willing to do hybrid working then its a win-win for workers and employers.

I'll spoiler the date businesses in future as I know this is F&D. We have agreed to meet in the next city and I am going to drive as after covid I cant face a drink. Even so, he offered to pay for a hotel room or uber for me as he doesn't want the me driving home in the dark. He asked what restaurants I liked and I sent a few options and he has booked one and sent me the confirmation. Quite business like really but I like the no nonsense approach.

Looking forward to Vigil tonight, I still feel confused about everything but her and that Endeavour bloke seem to have chemistry . Bake off was great.

I lurk on the M&S thread and they suggested the chicken kiev, it was gorgeous. Ill try the Thai next time.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Ooh yeah also looking forward to Vigil, last week's episode nearly gave me a nervous breakdown

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Can anybody recommend a good eye make up remover? Not an oily or oil shake mix combo please as my eyes go puffy and close up. Years ago used no7 till they went oily, in recent years I have been using garnier, but they too appear to be going the same way.

Reactions: 3
Can anybody recommend a good eye make up remover? Not an oily or oil shake mix combo please as my eyes go puffy and close up. Years ago used no7 till they went oily, in recent years I have been using garnier, but they too appear to be going the same way.
i use coconut oil, the i,portant thing though is to NEVERput it in the sink, i use it on cotton wool and then put it in the bin

Reactions: 5
I use this from the Body Shop. It’s more watery in texture. I pop it on some reusable “cotton” pad thingys. Does the job!

Attachments

Reactions: 5
La Roche Posay are my go to - they do a make up remover milk/creme (which is great) but also do a gel version depending if you prefer something that’s a bit lighter feeling.

I also love the Body Shop Camomile balm for removing make up but assuming that will be oil based given the texture etc. Will check out @EllaEm87 suggestion as it’s from the same range when I run out of my current stuff though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
La Roche Posay are my go to - they do a make up remover milk/creme (which is great) but also do a gel version depending if you prefer something that’s a bit lighter feeling.

I also love the Body Shop Camomile balm for removing make up but assuming that will be oil based given the texture etc. Will check out @EllaEm87 suggestion as it’s from the same range when I run out of my current stuff though.
Yes, this one is very micellar watery, I soak the pad then press on my eyes for a few seconds before rubbing off. Does the job without being oily. I did try the solid cleansing bar dolallys from Lush because plastic and planet etc etc but- oil based mainly. This is quite gentle.

Eyemakeup remover and conditioner are the only things that are still plasticy in my skincare/ haircare/ shower routine. I’ve managed to switch everything else. Hated pretty much every conditioner bar I tried so use refillable Faith in Nature instead as my local hardware store stocks it. Compromise I guess!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Another vote for La Roche Posay. Boots usually have a 3 for 2 offer on every couple of months so I stock up.

Reactions: 3
Just doing my meal planning and shopping for the week and found this website:

You just type your ingredient in the search bar and it tells you how to freeze it properly (if it can be). Thought it might be useful for some.

Check me out being all on topic! 😎

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 17

You just type your ingredient in the search bar and it tells you how to freeze it properly (if it can be). Thought it might be useful for some.

Wow! Thank you that's a great website.

Can You Freeze Chip Shop Chips? [3 VITAL Tips] | Freeze It

I'm not the original poor twitter poster that kept asking, but I do genuinely have some frozen chip shop chips in my freezer, bought a meal deal from local takeaway which has too much food, panicked and bunged the chips in the freezer. Sadly didn't individually separate them but I know for next time.

The meal deal is 1x chip shop chips (that never get eaten on the day), 1 x cheesy chip shop chips (DELICIOUS), 1 x kebab eaten by the Mister, 1 x pizza eaten the next day, and a big bottle of fizzy joy. Sometimes after a hard day, you just need some grease. £15 incl delivery.

Sorry to derail the thread with such unhealthy food talk...

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Wow! Thank you that's a great website.

Can You Freeze Chip Shop Chips? [3 VITAL Tips] | Freeze It

I'm not the original poor twitter poster that kept asking, but I do genuinely have some frozen chip shop chips in my freezer, bought a meal deal from local takeaway which has too much food, panicked and bunged the chips in the freezer. Sadly didn't individually separate them but I know for next time.

The meal deal is 1x chip shop chips (that never get eaten on the day), 1 x cheesy chip shop chips (DELICIOUS), 1 x kebab eaten by the Mister, 1 x pizza eaten the next day, and a big bottle of fizzy joy. Sometimes after a hard day, you just need some grease. £15 incl delivery.

Sorry to derail the thread with such unhealthy food talk...
I really wanted to 😂 at this. At least if we ever candyman JM back to the MT we’ll be able to update them!

How do you reheat/cook the frozen chips - as in do you oven cook or softly gently refry in cold oil?

Thank you - this is really helpful!

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.