Food and Drink #19

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Icing sugar I would try...
I’ve made creamy garlic mushroom pasta with it, it just tasted like CF
ETA - I have meringue nests and frozen berries!

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Maybe you’re just not a creme fraiche kind of gal. (It’s really nice with icing sugar)

Cat wore it better!

Lads any ideas for creme fraiche? I can’t even spell it.
I ordered the wrong thing, was suppose to get sour cream. I know they’re similar but I find creme f a bit insipid and tasteless so I’d rather not sub it.
It’s such a dumb invention it’s not as tasty as yoghurt and it’s full of fat. I once had some served with a cake and it ruined it tbh, thought it was double cream.
I’ve never liked Creme fraiche either. However recently I had a hello fresh meal that I didn’t realise included creme fraiche for the sauce but gave it a try and really liked it - https://www.hellofresh.co.uk/recipes/crispy-chicken-and-chilli-chive-sauce-5f7f1e8697f39f06e91deea2
Edit - sorry I can’t remember if you’re a (90%) veggie frau so ignore that suggestion if you are!

• Haha
You could make a dip with it, (and could mix with plain yogurt too) add dried garlic and dried onion. Or a dried French onion soup mix which is very American. Or add chives. Or hot sauce. Use with crisps. Or have on a baked potatoes with chives and butter.

You could make a dip with it, (and could mix with plain yogurt too) add dried garlic and dried onion. Or a dried French onion soup mix which is very American. Or add chives. Or hot sauce. Use with crisps. Or have on a baked potatoes with chives and butter.
You could also use it to make a Texan sheet cake.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Creme fraiche is one of our regular items in the shopping. I like it with sweet potatoes, either on top of a baked one or as a dip for wedges. The kids like it dolloped on soup or chilli, and I make various pasta dishes with a creamy sauce base. And dips too, I make a lower cal version of a Marie rose sauce with it for my retro prawn sarnies 😋

Reactions: 4
Creme fraiche is one of our regular items in the shopping. I like it with sweet potatoes, either on top of a baked one or as a dip for wedges. The kids like it dolloped on soup or chilli, and I make various pasta dishes with a creamy sauce base. And dips too, I make a lower cal version of a Marie rose sauce with it for my retro prawn sarnies 😋
Yes, I’d put in on chilli too. However, I usually have plain yogurt on hand and so usually use that. Can use it in cakes that call for buttermilk too.

Reactions: 2
Ah yeah I am veggie and I can’t eat eggs so no cake 😰
But you can eat meringues? Or are they egg-free ones? Are you a vegetarian who is allergic to eggs or a vegan so do not eat any dairy or egg products?

Sorry for asking so many questions, I'm just intrigued.

I’m vegetarian and I have gallstones! I can’t tolerate eggs, I believe it’s the yolk which houses the cholesterol which sets off the gallbladder. I really want an egg. I haven’t had an egg in 6 months. And recently people brought farm eggs from their hols and offered me some and I couldn’t eat them 😿

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
I’m vegetarian and I have gallstones! I can’t tolerate eggs, I believe it’s the yolk which houses the cholesterol which sets off the gallbladder. I really want an egg. I haven’t had an egg in 6 months. And recently people brought farm eggs from their hols and offered me some and I couldn’t eat them 😿
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'm sorry to read this, especially as you love eggs but can no longer eat them. I wish you well.

Reactions: 4
Evening all. Bit of a long winded one re: jobs - will spoiler.

Due to go back to work soon - I now work in a team adjacent to the one I used to work in (trying not triangulate self). I was moved across to help the team I’m in and to help balance the books…then never moved back (combination of me not having the confidence at the time due to life events to speak out/up and it was convenient for them). Anyway a new role (that I did a secondment in previously) in old team has come up - but the JD is so clearly written towards the two members in that team. I basically don’t know how to navigate it/challenge it without sounding like a whinging ninny. Can I ask if it’s even worth me applying?!

I can do the role/confident I have transferable skills - yes aspects of it I would need to brush up on but figure this is the case with any job. The uplift in salary isn’t much at all but don’t know if on principle I should apply or if it’s not worth it? I guess I worry if I don’t apply I’ll then be on the back foot/out of contention for any future roles moving up the ladder?

Long term I’d like to retrain into an entirely different field but not in position to set that in motion yet. So feel I’m at a crossroads in current job that if I apply/don’t get the role it’s a sign to move on. Not sure how to say this without sounding a prick but kind of feel if I wasn’t to get it I’m out of options progression wise in current job so what am I gaining? Also feel I need to know my worth and not just stick in a job that isn’t giving me anything.

But I feel I’ve been out of the job loop for so long now - are recruitment agencies still a thing/worth their while? Is it easy to find part time work without taking a salary cut in the process?

Sorry not sure what I’m asking per say, just having a brain fart.

O/T - had a really nice salad for lunch with a home made potato salad and a fancy dressing from Morrisons.

D8A2C985-64CB-4C11-B9FD-D7E7FBADCABF.jpeg

Reactions: 7
Today I discovered “loaded doughnuts” in Morrisons. Chocolate covered doughnut with chunks of chocolate brownies on top. To make them taste even better, reduced to 50p for three👍

Evening all. Bit of a long winded one re: jobs - will spoiler.

Due to go back to work soon - I now work in a team adjacent to the one I used to work in (trying not triangulate self). I was moved across to help the team I’m in and to help balance the books…then never moved back (combination of me not having the confidence at the time due to life events to speak out/up and it was convenient for them). Anyway a new role (that I did a secondment in previously) in old team has come up - but the JD is so clearly written towards the two members in that team. I basically don’t know how to navigate it/challenge it without sounding like a whinging ninny. Can I ask if it’s even worth me applying?!

I can do the role/confident I have transferable skills - yes aspects of it I would need to brush up on but figure this is the case with any job. The uplift in salary isn’t much at all but don’t know if on principle I should apply or if it’s not worth it? I guess I worry if I don’t apply I’ll then be on the back foot/out of contention for any future roles moving up the ladder?

Long term I’d like to retrain into an entirely different field but not in position to set that in motion yet. So feel I’m at a crossroads in current job that if I apply/don’t get the role it’s a sign to move on. Not sure how to say this without sounding a prick but kind of feel if I wasn’t to get it I’m out of options progression wise in current job so what am I gaining? Also feel I need to know my worth and not just stick in a job that isn’t giving me anything.

But I feel I’ve been out of the job loop for so long now - are recruitment agencies still a thing/worth their while? Is it easy to find part time work without taking a salary cut in the process?

Sorry not sure what I’m asking per say, just having a brain fart.

O/T - had a really nice salad for lunch with a home made potato salad and a fancy dressing from Morrisons.

View attachment 715552
I think you should apply. I read recently that women apply for jobs they are 95% compatible with, men apply if they are 65% compatible!!
I’ve looked at a job description for the same job I was in (teaching), and my first thought was that I could not do all of it, then realised I was actually doing the job 🙄.
Apart from the time it’s takes to complete an application, you have nothing to lose.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
My tuppence worth is - you feel you want to ask if it’s worth you applying and/or to challenge that the JD is geared to the two in the team. IF - big if - someone at the company was trying to “rig” the outcome, why on earth would they admit that to anyone, especially to you! So what would be the point of challenging? If you’re right, they won’t admit skulduggery, if you’re wrong, you look daft and a bit Arsenal.
If the job is open for applications, apply. Especially if you feel you would kick yourself for not doing so.
It depends on the culture where you are, but I’m not sure it would be “held against you” that you didn’t apply for a promotion and so are undeserving of applying for any in future?
Obviously I don’t know your workplace but I really get the sense you are kind of dissatisfied or you don’t trust them maybe.
Course, I could be totally wrong, I’m just a mithering internet ninny!
Just apply!

@Falkor how are the gang getting on?

• Heart
My tuppence worth is - you feel you want to ask if it’s worth you applying and/or to challenge that the JD is geared to the two in the team. IF - big if - someone at the company was trying to “rig” the outcome, why on earth would they admit that to anyone, especially to you! So what would be the point of challenging? If you’re right, they won’t admit skulduggery, if you’re wrong, you look daft and a bit Arsenal.
If the job is open for applications, apply. Especially if you feel you would kick yourself for not doing so.
It depends on the culture where you are, but I’m not sure it would be “held against you” that you didn’t apply for a promotion and so are undeserving of applying for any in future?
Obviously I don’t know your workplace but I really get the sense you are kind of dissatisfied or you don’t trust them maybe.
Just apply!

They're okay, thank you! I had a lame lamb yesterday, so had to get them over the road into the fanks to treat her. After Mr F's dramas loading them up 10 days ago I was expecting it to be a nightmare, but I took the quad down and a bucket of sheep food, parked the quad at the fanks, got them out of the field okay by pretending we were going down the road back towards another field, shut the gate behind them and then shook the bucket and walked off towards the fanks. Five of them followed me and went into the pens, so they got rewarded with some food, then I shut them into the second pen, left the gate open on the first, jumped on the quad, zoomed down the road to get behind the rest and drove back up to them honking the horn and shouting 'Hup, hup, hup,' at which they all took off down the road. The leaders turned in at the fanks, four stopped by the field gate, so I blocked the road with the quad, jumped off, chased them away from the gate and fortunately they followed the rest rather than doubling back - jumped back on the quad, drove up behind them and penned them :) At which point Mr F came strolling down the road thinking he might have time to give me a hand after all. Men....

Anyway, the lamb was caught, plonked on her bum and inspected, as she didn't want to put her right hind foot to the ground. I think she's had scald (sheep version of athlete's foot) in her left hind, because that had grown long as if she'd been not putting much weight on it, and then as a result of the extra weight on her right, her hoof wall had chipped away and exposed the softer foot inside, making it painful to walk on. So her left foot got trimmed up, she got foot spray on both, and then a 4ml injection of antibiotics to kill off any nasties lurking in her feet. Wish I'd spotted it sooner, but as prey animals they're very good at hiding things like that until they're quite far on - she was sound on Sunday morning and hopping 24 hours later. While they were all in I thought I might as well mark them, so they've all had my flock mark put on (a very kind apprentice blacksmith made me a branding iron in the shape of my mark, which I dip in livestock marker paint and then press on their backs) and then went back to the field. I was going to put them out to the hill this morning, but the lamb is still a bit lamb, although tons better than yesterday, so they can stay in for another 24 hours.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Today I discovered “loaded doughnuts” in Morrisons. Chocolate covered doughnut with chunks of chocolate brownies on top. To make them taste even better, reduced to 50p for three👍

I think you should apply. I read recently that women apply for jobs they are 95% compatible with, men apply if they are 65% compatible!!
I’ve looked at a job description for the same job I was in (teaching), and my first thought was that I could not do all of it, then realised I was actually doing the job 🙄.
Apart from the time it’s takes to complete an application, you have nothing to lose.
Thank you - this is true, other than a bit of time nothing to lose.

Just apply!

Again thank you - think I probably am feeling a bit dissatisfied. Also you’re completely right - if they are rigging it/heavily weighting it in someone’s favour of course they’re not going to admit it! 🤦‍♀️Hard to explain the culture without triangulating too much but routes of progression aren’t readily available unless people leave so the concern is that if I don’t apply and something else came up in future I might be disregarded/not thought of.

Also like Reading said if I apply I’m not losing anything other than a bit of time and I’d rather not regret it even if it’s for nothing.

Cat wore it better!

Lads any ideas for creme fraiche? I can’t even spell it.
I ordered the wrong thing, was suppose to get sour cream. I know they’re similar but I find creme f a bit insipid and tasteless so I’d rather not sub it.
It’s such a dumb invention it’s not as tasty as yoghurt and it’s full of fat. I once had some served with a cake and it ruined it tbh, thought it was double cream.
No word of a lie Hotes, my grandmother bungs crème fraiche in a curry.

Thank you - this is true, other than a bit of time nothing to lose.

Again thank you - think I probably am feeling a bit dissatisfied. Also you’re completely right - if they are rigging it/heavily weighting it in someone’s favour of course they’re not going to admit it! 🤦‍♀️Hard to explain the culture without triangulating too much but routes of progression aren’t readily available unless people leave so the concern is that if I don’t apply and something else came up in future I might be disregarded/not thought of.

Also like Reading said if I apply I’m not losing anything other than a bit of time and I’d rather not regret it even if it’s for nothing.
Go for it - at the very least it shows you're someone looking to progress and you could make a positive impression enough to get you a future role even if this one didn't work out

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.