Food and Drink #19

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hotes if you're going to get a cat I guarantee you're going to need that money for frivolous cat paraphernalia purchases. The most expensive food? Nothing but the best. Fancy carrier to travel in comfort even though the only place they go is the vet's once a year? Of course. New toys despite having a shoebox full of them already? Obviously. Comfortable bed they'll look at once and then continue sleeping on your chair? No question. Cat tree they'll never use? I'll take two!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
sidey T you make an excellent point. Catnip carrots don’t grow on trees, unlike cryptocurrency amIright?

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Yes - currently trapped under BabyBeds but will have a look/photo after.

@Mustard hope this is clear enough.

View attachment 700345
Thank you. Need to get dates and bananas now.

Has anyone seen any yellow beans in any shops? Like these from the Smith & Brock email I just got. I loved them as a child.

Attachments

Reactions: 4
Thank you. Need to get dates and bananas now.

Has anyone seen any yellow beans in any shops? Like these from the Smith & Brock email I just got. I loved them as a child.
yum i’ve never come across yellow beans before! I’ll be so sad when green bean season is over.

Day 4 of isolation here…i wish at least the wind and rain would duck off so i could sit in my garden! Last night i made a massive selection of tapas so eating leftover chickpea, almond and chard stew with a huge dollop of homemade vegan aioli for lunch and it’s amazing. Don’t throw away your chickpea water people!

looks like a complete mess as all the best food does

3145AAED-9ACA-40B1-BFF7-067898358F74.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 15
yum i’ve never come across yellow beans before! I’ll be so sad when green bean season is over.

Day 4 of isolation here…i wish at least the wind and rain would duck off so i could sit in my garden! Last night i made a massive selection of tapas so eating leftover chickpea, almond and chard stew with a huge dollop of homemade vegan aioli for lunch and it’s amazing. Don’t throw away your chickpea water people!

looks like a complete mess as all the best food does

View attachment 703212
ooh do you have a recipe?? that looks yum, abolsutely adore chickpeas. I have never seen yellow beans either, do they taste different from green ones?

Reactions: 5
ooh do you have a recipe?? that looks yum, abolsutely adore chickpeas. I have never seen yellow beans either, do they taste different from green ones?
yes i do! i use this recipe but swapped chard for spinach as that’s what i got in my veg box… It’s nicer with spinach though to be honest!

i love chickpeas too! a big bowl of braised chickpeas with greens is honestly one of my favourite things in the world.

Reactions: 6
yes i do! i use this recipe but swapped chard for spinach as that’s what i got in my veg box… It’s nicer with spinach though to be honest!

i love chickpeas too! a big bowl of braised chickpeas with greens is honestly one of my favourite things in the world.

ooh thanks will definitely make it this week! I don't know if you have them over there but if you want to splash out these are incredible https://www.souschef.co.uk/products...XFc85noaODeeKWM0sLS9FNdVJVL3hJtBoCCeIQAvD_BwE

• Heart
Reactions: 3
oooh yes i’ve seen these in italian delis before, will definitely pick some up next time!
definitely worth it but expensive so definitely not an every day purchase, if I was rich I would live on these :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1
So that's most of the lambs away - we've kept six girls, including Badger. I'm in trouble with Mr F, I didn't look at the sale date and managed to book myself on a flight down to England to see my mum the day before the sale. So for the past week he's been feeding the ladies and making sure they'll follow him when he's got a bucket. All fine, or so we thought. Come Sunday night, would they follow him out of the field to the fanks for sorting? Would they heck?! In the end it took three people on quad bikes plus a sheepdog to get them out of the field and then they buggered off down the road towards home and had to be brought back.

But after that the lambs loaded into the lorry with no problems and Mr F reports the ladies haven't been too upset by them going. The lambs had mainly weaned themselves already, I hadn't seen one having a drink off its mum for a week before I left, so there was no heartbreaking baaa-ing from the ewes looking for them, although a few of them were still hanging round the field gate yesterday, waiting to see if they came back.

Prices are good this year and mine sold for £66 each, despite being cross bred - compare to 3 years ago when my pure bred Cheviot lambs only made £29 each. We're probably not going to put the ladies back into lamb in the autumn, we've got a couple of big work projects next year that we need to focus on, so when I get home they'll all have my flock mark painted on them and they can go out to the hill for a couple of months until the sheep dipping guy is doing his rounds in October. Also means Badger and crew can stay with their mums over winter and grow up with their flock, which will hopefully prevent them splitting off in future years like Nibbles and 406 do.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Anyone made this Nigella version of Spaghetti Puttanesca called Slattern’s Spaghetti? It has anchovies. I’ve only made a vegetarian version.
Not this one specifically but I always put anchovies in puttanesca, gives it salty umami yumminess 😋

Reactions: 5
the original recipe always has anchovies, unless you dont eat fish I would never omit them. I have found even people who "dont like anchovies " like it as you cannot really taste fishas such it is more just a kind of umami taste. I think in terms of pasta anchovies are one of the best ingredients ever!

• Heart
the original recipe always has anchovies, unless you dont eat fish I would never omit them. I have found even people who "dont like anchovies " like it as you cannot really taste fishas such it is more just a kind of umami taste. I think in terms of pasta anchovies are one of the best ingredients ever!
I made my first one from a recipe in a Sainsbury’s pasta cookbook and that didn’t have any anchovies. Loved it.

Just the other day I posted on another TL thread that one of my favourite pasta dishes is Spaghetti Puttanesca (love anchovies and the more the merrier!) 😋

Reactions: 2
Cat wore it better!

Lads any ideas for creme fraiche? I can’t even spell it.
I ordered the wrong thing, was suppose to get sour cream. I know they’re similar but I find creme f a bit insipid and tasteless so I’d rather not sub it.
It’s such a dumb invention it’s not as tasty as yoghurt and it’s full of fat. I once had some served with a cake and it ruined it tbh, thought it was double cream.

Reactions: 1
Cat wore it better!

Lads any ideas for creme fraiche? I can’t even spell it.
I ordered the wrong thing, was suppose to get sour cream. I know they’re similar but I find creme f a bit insipid and tasteless so I’d rather not sub it.
It’s such a dumb invention it’s not as tasty as yoghurt and it’s full of fat. I once had some served with a cake and it ruined it tbh, thought it was double cream.
You could stir a few dollops into cooked pasta and add some fried mushrooms, grated Parmesan and some chives, salt and pepper, garlic if you have it?

Or sieve in some icing sugar and mix, serve on the side of strawberries / raspberries / soft fruit of your choice.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.