Food and Drink #18

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m just looking on various adoption websites and someone has actually specified for a cat that doesn’t like children - “must have a home that children NEVER visit” lol that’s incredibly strict. Been on about 10 websites so far and haven’t found a single cat where the cat could move into my house with my two cats and daughter under 10. Totally nuts.
andall the ones that specify cannot live with other cats, they don't need to get on cats are very independent anyway

Reactions: 10
Exactly, @emm. I'm lucky my 3 mostly get on well, I've had cats in the past that hated one another but they just got on with their day without too much brawling. Animals would probably prefer a good home with another pet or a child than stuck in a shelter. Just madness.

Reactions: 9
@Into_the_tunnel - sorry you couldn't do the colposcopy yesterday. Waiting for unsettling medical things is the pits. Not sure from your post if you've ever had one before, but just to reassure you, while it's not the most dignified thing in the world, they don't particularly hurt. If anything, though a bit longer, they are less painful than a smear. I've had approx 12 million (slight exaggeration) colposcopies for monitoring after cancer treatment and they aren't at all painful as a rule. Even taking a sample, if they needed to, isn't particularly bothersome and very brief.

I appreciate the amount of care animal charities take over re-homing their animals, but they can be a little, umm, precious at times I think. Funnily enough, we've kept our respective cats separated for over a month after merging households and introduced them today. My two old dears were both spectacularly unbothered by the new arrivals, apart from my more nervous one miaowing at me a little bit afterwards. The three young ones were a bit nervous and there was a tiny bit of hissing from one of them, which pretty much stopped instantly when it was ignored by the older heads. As a rule, I think they just work out their own ways of avoiding each other if they don't get on and find their own spaces.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I think I've mentioned before I adopted my cat as a kitten from the Cats Protection. My sister got hers from the RSPCA, my parents got both of theirs from a breeder (they're ocicats (the cats obvs, not my parents)). I would always recommend the Cats Protection over the RSPCA or randos selling kittens because they're 100% cat-focused and make sensible decisions about re-homing their animals. Their cats are always neutered as well.

There was a local animal rescue place I went to that allowed me to go and look at all their cats, make a shortlist of the ones I was interested in then fill out the paperwork only to tell me when I rang up two weeks later that because I lived in a flat I couldn't have any of them. I had already told them I lived in a flat beforehand and they said that wasn't a problem. A few weeks later I found the four-legged love of my life at the Cats Protection so needless to say I had the last laugh, and so did my cat.

the last laugh.jpg

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 29
I think I've mentioned before I adopted my cat as a kitten from the Cats Protection. My sister got hers from the RSPCA, my parents got both of theirs from a breeder (they're ocicats (the cats obvs, not my parents)). I would always recommend the Cats Protection over the RSPCA or randos selling kittens because they're 100% cat-focused and make sensible decisions about re-homing their animals. Their cats are always neutered as well.

There was a local animal rescue place I went to that allowed me to go and look at all their cats, make a shortlist of the ones I was interested in then fill out the paperwork only to tell me when I rang up two weeks later that because I lived in a flat I couldn't have any of them. I had already told them I lived in a flat beforehand and they said that wasn't a problem. A few weeks later I found the four-legged love of my life at the Cats Protection so needless to say I had the last laugh, and so did my cat.

View attachment 560790
black cats :love: I will look into cat protection , thank you!

• Heart
Reactions: 8

View attachment 560790
That picture is amazing.
I’ve never heard of ocicats, just googled and they look awesome!
All four of my cats (two surviving) were from randoms - first two were from homes, one was free and one was £40 and we were lucky that they were healthy and lived a long life. The newest two were from a farm as I mentioned before, and again, we’ve been lucky. I’ve been looking at kitten adverts recently and just don’t think i could go down that route again. I feel like we possibly wouldn’t be so lucky this time, there seems to be a lot of dodginess about.

• Heart
@Flumps thank you so much.

I haven’t had one so the unknown is scary. Waiting until the cluster is over before I rearrange as my headaches are pretty much ruling everything at the moment. It is reassuring to know it might not be as painful as the smear which was pretty horrendous last time.

I love cats. I love cats so much.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I'm half way through another one of my neighbour's surprise veggie curry drop offs! I had my dinner about an hour ago so this is second dinner 😂 #worthit

PXL_20210505_173801922.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 19
That picture is amazing.
I’ve never heard of ocicats, just googled and they look awesome!
All four of my cats (two surviving) were from randoms - first two were from homes, one was free and one was £40 and we were lucky that they were healthy and lived a long life. The newest two were from a farm as I mentioned before, and again, we’ve been lucky. I’ve been looking at kitten adverts recently and just don’t think i could go down that route again. I feel like we possibly wouldn’t be so lucky this time, there seems to be a lot of dodginess about.
A friend has ocicats. they look a bit like bengals.

When I was looking to adopt a Somali, they approached me about a pair, which was fine by me, but the woman offering was a bit odd, she insisted that they couldn’t travel in the same car, so I managed to find a friend who was willing to transport one whilst I took the other, personally I thought they would have been happier together. Anyway she changed her mind. She later changed it back, by which time I had adopted another.

• Wow
The worst part for me was the injection for the pain relief. The nurse lectured me that my family were letting me down by not being there despite them being 200 miles away, and she used a rubber band type of tourniquet which was way too tight & left it there far too long. After that, all was fine.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
For everyone who's having a tough time - have some bouncing lambs xx

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Hello fellow cat-lovers 😺 I wanted to add that from my experience Norwegian Forest cats are also a wonderful breed. Sweet, gentle, intelligent, and not exactly lap cats but very friendly. And of course, absolutely gorgeous! One of mine has an incredible ruff of fur around her neck, she looks like a little lion! While the other has very furry toes! Funny how that would be kind of gross on a human but with a cat it's the cutest thing?! Same with snoring?!

Also, I'm sending love to those who've been having a rough time ❤

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Hello fellow cat-lovers 😺 I wanted to add that from my experience Norwegian Forest cats are also a wonderful breed. Sweet, gentle, intelligent, and not exactly lap cats but very friendly. And of course, absolutely gorgeous! One of mine has an incredible ruff of fur around her neck, she looks like a little lion! While the other has very furry toes! Funny how that would be kind of gross on a human but with a cat it's the cutest thing?! Same with snoring?!

Also, I'm sending love to those who've been having a rough time ❤
Ooo Norwegian forest, meet arthur

IMG_0108 2.JPG

Unfortunately he isn’t mine, but if he hadn’t had a collar he might have been
and I became a squiggle

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Ooo Norwegian forest, meet arthur

View attachment 561112
Unfortunately he isn’t mine, but if he hadn’t had a collar he might have been
and I became a squiggle
So chunky :love: And Arthur's a great name for him.

Fun fact - Maine Coone are so named after the state of the breed's origin (Maine) and the early belief that the cat was the result of crossing between domestic breeds and raccoons!

Reactions: 14
I was lucky enough to adopt a cat in February 2020, would also recommend Cats Protection. My new girl's background notes said that she would prefer to be the only cat in her new home, the lady managing the paperwork looked at that bit and said "yes, she doesn't really like other cats much, I don't like people but I work with them."

• Haha
Reactions: 18
So chunky :love: And Arthur's a great name for him.

Fun fact - Maine Coone are so named after the state of the breed's origin (Maine) and the early belief that the cat was the result of crossing between domestic breeds and raccoons!
Just be a lot of speculation about Maine Coons as I have read that some believe that they are decended from Norwegian Forest cats brought to the USA by early settlers. Also rather than breeding with raccoons, local Bob cats hence the ear tufts. I don't know the truth.

I do however know I love my Brown tabby and white Maine Coon x

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.