Food and Drink #18

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My step dad is doing ok, still in hospital. I've never known anyone who's had a serious stroke before, I knew they did some damage but I wasn't prepared for the news that he has to learn to walk again and remember to chew and swallow food. I went to the church up the road today, the one that gives us veggies and a food parcel every week. I stayed for coffee, cake and a chat, they asked if they could pray for my dad. Now, I'm not a religious gal but I accepted and it did bring me some comfort.
Not sure if it will land 800 kms away but I'll take anything I can right now.
Being on the Mother Thread has also brought infinite laughs and relief, I just love how supportive and funny my virtual friends are.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Aw why is Badger sitting away from everyone?
Because Badger's mum will abandon her at the merest hint of a rattle of a food bucket and ignore her until she's finished eating! There was a bit of 'WTF is that??' from the other lambs when she first went into the field, but they all play together happily now.

@MaineCoonMama vibes heading around the world for your step dad. The rehabilitation programmes for stroke are so good these days, hopefully he'll recover completely.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
To be fair, I'd avoid the NC500 this summer - it's going to be a nightmare. Last year was bad enough and Visit Scotland is predicting numbers are going to be even higher than this year. We like visitors, but many of the ones who came up last year because they couldn't get to Europe had no respect for our environment. I'm talking about people setting up tents inside a scheduled ancient monument and using a corner of it as a toilet, camper van waste tanks being emptied at the roadside or into our streams, people stealing pallets stacked on crofts ready for putting hay bales onto to burn on their campfires, parking camper vans in gateways, driving into people's fields to camp - all sorts of things. And a journey that normally took me 25 minutes on single track roads was taking me anything up to an hour because people didn't understand the rules about giving way or couldn't reverse their hired campervan 15 metres back up the road into a passing place. Wait until Spain and the Canary Islands are open for business again and you'll have a much nicer visit :)
This is spot on advice!

Reactions: 7
My step dad is doing ok, still in hospital. I've never known anyone who's had a serious stroke before, I knew they did some damage but I wasn't prepared for the news that he has to learn to walk again and remember to chew and swallow food. I went to the church up the road today, the one that gives us veggies and a food parcel every week. I stayed for coffee, cake and a chat, they asked if they could pray for my dad. Now, I'm not a religious gal but I accepted and it did bring me some comfort.
Being on the Mother Thread has also brought infinite laughs and relief, I just love how supportive and funny my virtual friends are.
Sending lots of love and best wishes from across the globe to your stepdad xx

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Thank you @Jay-cloth Cow, @Falkor and everyone else. I'm a bit lost and bewildered, I guess that's normal. He's one of eleven kids so he has lots of support but I still wish I could be with him. ♥

• Heart
This lamb is not getting any less cute.

badger.jpg

Joyce kindly came up today to help me with my lamb marking (which is the polite way of saying we were banding tails and testicles) and said that her father used to have some Cheviot x Shetland ewes and put them to a Texel tup (big commercial breed of sheep) and they lambed just fine, so definitely not a problem to keep Badger and a few friends if we're going to continue with Shetland tups. I think I may have lost this one and she'll be staying...

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Does anyone get what I call 'Cooks belly'?

I'll sometimes start cooking dinner, feeling pretty hungry, but when I sit down to eat it, my stomach just shuts off and feels full. Seems to be happening more and more recently. I don't graze while I cook, just the odd taste towards the end for seasoning etc.

• Heart

I'll sometimes start cooking dinner, feeling pretty hungry, but when I sit down to eat it, my stomach just shuts off and feels full. Seems to be happening more and more recently. I don't graze while I cook, just the odd taste towards the end for seasoning etc.
God yes, all the time. The longer I spend cooking the less I want to eat it. For things where it's possible I tend to make ahead of time and reheat it so I can enjoy whatever it is I've cooked.

Reactions: 19
Badger is gorgeous. She looks like she's wearing black metal corpse paint, I love her.

Immortal.jpg

(a demonstration of corpse paint for the uninitiated)

• Haha
Reactions: 16
On a bit of a grunk as I have been BUSY! You lot do make me laugh and worry about you all in equal measure.

@Falkor I love the pics and the information about their little personalities. I feel like they are real people to me.

@Begborrowsteal hope you are ok. If it helps, my experience of a break up was that the hardest part was were you are now in the relationship. The pressure of making a decision is huge and life changing. I was in no mans land for a couple of years (we were together over 20) but the freedom I felt once I made the decision to leave was what I was craving. I was trying to make something work that was unfixable. I am not saying make the decision to leave but once you choose what to do you will be at peace and be able to look forward. If you can/want to DM me. I feel like in hindsight I should have left sooner but stayed because I needed to know I had done everything to keep the family together before I made the decision to end it. Does that make sense?

@MaineCoonMama strokes are more common than you think and because of that the support from the hospital for rehabilitation and at home in the health and social care system is really good. You will be amazed to see how someone can go from limited mobility to a strong recovery. Most people don't get the full function back but end up adapting to use their other hand or an aid to do things like put socks on. He will have good and bad days but honestly each day will be progress. It must be so hard for you and I understand you reaching out at the church. Just talking about these things makes them real and helps you process and accept them. You can support him when you can, its good he has a massive family at these early stages.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Love to you & your dad @MaineCoonMama ❤.

• Heart
Can anyone recommend a good clothes steamer? Also, one of these that doesn’t cost £22.
5FBF5AB5-F281-47D7-8E02-10AC5A20D440.jpeg

Reactions: 5
Can anyone recommend a nice salad dressing that is pretty low calorie/healthy that can be bought in shops in Ireland?
I’m Trying to be good and have salads for lunches but I can’t eat them without a dressing and I’m sick of balsamic type ones. I’d try a homemade one too if anybody knew a simple recipe?

Reactions: 3

A lot! It's like the act of cooking is in some way satiating (it may have to do with the smells...I'm sure I read an article once, many years ago, that claimed sniffing vanilla made people eat less sweet stuff afterwards. Could be that kind of effect?).

Can anyone recommend a nice salad dressing that is pretty low calorie/healthy that can be bought in shops in Ireland?
I’m Trying to be good and have salads for lunches but I can’t eat them without a dressing and I’m sick of balsamic type ones. I’d try a homemade one too if anybody knew a simple recipe?
It's very easy to make many kinds of salad dressing! This is a good starting point: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/10-salad-dressings-you-can-make-minutes

Never dress the salad before you're about to eat - if you're doing a packed lunch, this is really important. I have this from Sistema which has a little dressing pot plus compartments to keep ingredients separate so nothing gets soggy:

SI21357_2.jpg

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
That is actually a really tough one, because salad dressings normally have olive or sunflower oil in them, and one tbsp of either is 120 calories !

That's why i tend to make ones that have a good bit of balsamic and wholegrain mustard and as little oil as I can get away with.

Reactions: 6
My favourite salad dressing right now is a raspberry vinaigrette from Sainsbury's. :love:

Reactions: 9
what I do sometimes when I don't want to use oil is buy a tin of mackeral in tomato sauce (I get them in saisburys but I am sure they are available elsewhere, and mix that with my salad instead of a traditional dressing

• Heart
Reactions: 4

Always! The worst time is at Christmas, I spend ages cooking a lovely meal, then sit down with everyone to enjoy it and it's lost all appeal 😩

• Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.