Food and Drink #17

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have to cook for kids with a picky one and in use frozen veg a lot. You can get out a few bits to steam without using a lot of fresh stuff. Picky one only eats steamed broccoli or cucumber for veg, doesn’t like things in sauce and is driving me up the bend trying to feed her.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
My Amazon order was apparently delivered to the homeowner yesterday when I was out. Thanks Jeff 😘.

The Floofbombs on here are absolutely stunning. My neighbour has two which dump fluff all over the street. I think it might be against GDPR to take pics and post them on here and I could be reported to the ICO 🙄 so I won’t .

• Haha
Reactions: 11
They are a bugger for fur, I brush enough off our cat tree every week to make a whole new cat, mostly thanks to this beautiful creature.

eta: i felt bad not doing him justice so added a more normal photo of him sat on his cardboard, which we can't throw away because he sulks

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 19
His teeth are fantastic, proper fangs. He is a real sweetie, he loves cuddles and also tries to stroke you in the face or on the arms, glad we agreed to have him.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
They are a bugger for fur, I brush enough off our cat tree every week to make a whole new cat, mostly thanks to this beautiful creature.

eta: i felt bad not doing him justice so added a more normal photo of him sat on his cardboard, which we can't throw away because he sulks
:love: this second foto looks just like a fluffier version of mine, her mum was maine coone so she is slightly fluffier than a normal black cat but not much. house still covered in fur though :LOL:

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Loving the fluffy cats. I’ve been watching a live stream on YouTube recently from a cat rescue place in America and they are adorable. There’s one with only 2 front legs who I want to adopt so badly!

Also had my second vaccine yesterday 🎉

• Heart
Reactions: 13
@bowiethesdmn he's beautiful :love: I am definitely biased but black cats are the best cats. My sister has a long-haired tortoiseshell and she's an absolute tit (the cat, not my sister). We think she might actually be part Norwegian Forest cat, there's a photo of one on Google that looks exactly like her. She's dragged lunches packed in a bag out and taken huge bites out of them while my sister's back was turned. Apparently the brie and cranberry bagel and salted caramel cookie incident was the most galling.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
It's wonderful when no food is safe 🤣 Agree with you on black cats, our collection runs from solid black to a sort of cow-print affair and they're all (mostly) lovely

Reactions: 8
I lived with a boyfriend years ago and always thought it was very unfair that he could eat a whole packet of Haribo without any problems...but he was 30cm taller than me! Plus men tend to have greater muscle mass. It's a bit tit, but here we are. 😂

I found it very easy to get into the habit of IF. I drink a lot of water while fasting (I also drink a lot of Coke Zero, and I don't care what anyone says about that). It takes about a week to get a feel for it. I would recommend starting with shorter fasts - I started with 13 hrs, which isn't much, and just starts you off by eliminating evening snacking etc.

The thing I love about it is this: it's flexible. It doesn't matter if you have a rigid daily timetable or not, as long as you fast. Normally I have a big lunch and don't eat in the evening, but if I'm with friends, I can have dinner and then start the timer. It just means I begin eating a bit later the next day.

It also means I don't beat myself up over slip ups. If you're on a "normal" diet, a slip can be a disaster...say you're doing low-carb. In a moment of weakness you have an ice cream. Then you think, "well, today's a write-off, I'll start again tomorrow!" and you order a takeaway. Especially disastrous if you're prone to bingeing.

With IF the mindset changes - you have an ice cream, and you set your timer and keep going. It's completely changed the way I think about food.

I will say that it's not for everyone...not because our bodies are especially different, but because our minds are. But for me it has been completely amazing, and I recommend giving it a go!

I know that decent food is expensive in Australia, and that sucks. I'm really lucky to have local, fresh, good quality fruit & veg readily available. When I lived elsewhere, I used a lot of the tinned/frozen veg that's nice (some things do not freeze well!). Frozen fruit is good in specific situations...I use it for smoothies or cooked into a compote, but not much else.
Hello Fraus! I've crossed over here from the MT to share my experience of IF and weight loss. Excited to finally be joining the F&D thread 👋😄

Thought I'd jump in on F&D to share my experience of weight loss and IF. I managed to lose just over two stone over the past year and have been maintaining my weight for a few months. I have used My Fitness Pal and IF to help me get in the swing of things and keep track and they've both been invaluable.

In the lead up to the pandemic and in the first few months of the pandemic itself, I think I must have put on about a stone or so but it really showed for my height and was beginning to bother me because my clothes weren't fitting. My problem used to be overeating – I'd eat poorly if I was stressed, for example, as I would always turn to food (and a glass of vino or two!) for comfort. The thing that really helped me reach my goal weight was counting calories. I know this can be catastrophic for some people, so it's down to everyone's individual judgement if it's right for them, but it really helped me visualise what I was eating and know the difference between a healthy portion and when I was simply having too much. I've mentioned this on another thread but I tried Slimming World and eating healthily (without the use of an app) and even though Slimming World did work (for a bit) some of the 'syns', like avocados, were ridiculous, as they're perfectly healthy but are just calorie-dense foods.

In terms of how I use IF and MFP: I'm now at a stage where I don't need to track every single meal as I've used MFP for long enough to know how many calories are in a tablespoon of olive oil or a portion of pasta etc and I tend to keep my breakfast and lunch options the same. I really design my diet around how hungry I feel and when. For example: I really like having a big breakfast, but I don't feel hungry very early in the morning, so I try and have my breakfast any time between 10:30-11:30. I will then have my lunch around 14:30-15:30. I then like to have my dinner at 18:00-19:00 ish. Breakfast and dinner are my biggest meals as I tend to not like having a 'big' lunch. It's all about making it work for you. If you know you don't feel hungry in the mornings then try and sustain the fast. Another thing that really helped me was not eating any cakes, crisps, biscuits etc for the first 6 or so weeks. This was hard, as I was so used to having 'nice' food in the house, but definitely one of the best changes I've ever made and helps shake off cravings as you learn to live without them. It's completely made me change the way I view my relationship with food and really improved my mental health and wellbeing.

Any other Qs, please feel free to ask!

Reactions: 14
@girolle and @colouredlines I have some IF questions if that's okay!

I've been practising IF off and on for the past six months now (mostly on in some variation since Christmas). Like many people I've put on weight over lockdown - not huge amounts and I'm still in the healthy BMI range but I was proud of myself for losing weight after having a baby and going vegan, that I felt I'd underdone a lot of that hard work.

I've tried long fasts (18 - 20 hours) but don't seem to get on with them - I get hangry and miserable! At the moment I'm doing 16:8 on weekdays but am sticking to closer to 12-14 hours at weekends. I don't feel I'm losing much weight, even though I'm eating healthily (though maybe too much dark chocolate) and am v active. In your experience do you feel that longer fasts are needed for the weight loss effect, or does it need to be a 24/7 thing rather than reducing fasting windows at weekends?

Reactions: 7
@girolle and @colouredlines I have some IF questions if that's okay!

I've been practising IF off and on for the past six months now (mostly on in some variation since Christmas). Like many people I've put on weight over lockdown - not huge amounts and I'm still in the healthy BMI range but I was proud of myself for losing weight after having a baby and going vegan, that I felt I'd underdone a lot of that hard work.

I've tried long fasts (18 - 20 hours) but don't seem to get on with them - I get hangry and miserable! At the moment I'm doing 16:8 on weekdays but am sticking to closer to 12-14 hours at weekends. I don't feel I'm losing much weight, even though I'm eating healthily (though maybe too much dark chocolate) and am v active. In your experience do you feel that longer fasts are needed for the weight loss effect, or does it need to be a 24/7 thing rather than reducing fasting windows at weekends?
There's some research that longer fasts speed up weight loss, but TBH if they make you irritable so you don't stick to them then it defeats the purpose! A friend of mine does a 36-hr fast once a week. I tried it once and finished it, but I didn't enjoy it, and found it was a lot more distracting than my normal fasts. For me, one thing I like about IF is that I don't think about it much during the day, so I won't be repeating such a long fast again.

Ultimately, weight loss still depends on calories. A lot of people eat food that's healthy (ie nutritionally balanced), but the portions are ultimately a bit too big. Could this be your case? It's often especially true in winter, when we go for more comfort food!

If you find that you get hungry easily (& I mean hungry to the point of irritation, not just peckish) then you might want to rebalance your meals so you have more protein/fat and fewer carbs. I'm not a fan of keto-style carb restriction at all, but it is true that protein & fat will help you feel satiated for longer.

I switch up my fasting window quite often, depending on what I'm doing on any given day/week. I put on a bit of weight when I was working full-time out of the house for a couple of months, and that stuck during the winter. I think I tend to gravitate toward more calorific food when it's cold, and I'm not as active. Now the weight is dropping off again - quite slowly, but that's fine, especially as I don't have a huge amount to lose.

Reactions: 7
I tend to do a 16:8 fast, sometimes longer depending on how I'm feeling that day. Longest I've ever done is 18hrs and I think that was only once! Like @girolle I also count calories in my eating window, as no matter how beneficial IF is, if you take in more calories than you burn every day, you won't see results. I've lost 20lb since the end of January by doing this, and making sure I come in a bit under my basal metabolic rate most days (with the odd relaxed day!) ☺

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.