Food and Drink #16 Liedown larder

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@heretoreaditall2019 I had shingles on my back when I was 27. The thing I most remember is the nerve pain. It was like being electrocuted. I believe it’s worse having it on your face. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
Thank you guys - surprisingly it’s cool apart from the nausea from the medicine?! And struggling to swallow a 800mg pill (why would you make them so big??). Am home now thankfully ❤

@Pixieboots I’m sorry you’re having to shield for longer. There was a lot of #discourse on this on Facebook this morning, apparently GPs and councils etc found out when you did which isn’t gr8 in terms of providing support?! Have you found out a vaccine date yet?

@Nottonightbabe omg what a nightmare - is there such a thing as a priority list to get this seen to?! You can’t be without water it’s inhumane!! xx
No word on vaccine yet, unfortunately. I suspect the sheer volume of people in my area is delaying things.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Lads can you help with a vegetarian food suggestion please?

I would like some savoury (not curry) rice, ideally baked in the oven. I do have onion and garlic, dried white rice, stock cubes, salt and pepper and basic spices. Also have tinned pulses and dried lentils (green and red). Frozen veg.

I don’t have the energy to do much more than fry off stuff and bung it all in a slow cooker or oven dish. I’ve seen a few recipes but I want something tried and tested really, as if it doesn’t work I might cry.

Thanks in advance! Hungry Hotes (not really, am making do with a pizza rn)

• Heart
Reactions: 7

I would like some savoury (not curry) rice, ideally baked in the oven. I do have onion and garlic, dried white rice, stock cubes, salt and pepper and basic spices. Also have tinned pulses and dried lentils (green and red). Frozen veg.

I don’t have the energy to do much more than fry off stuff and bung it all in a slow cooker or oven dish. I’ve seen a few recipes but I want something tried and tested really, as if it doesn’t work I might cry.

This is in the Green Roasting Tin - you can probably adapt it with what you have? Like maybe swap the amount of coconut milk for stock and the other stuff for your lentils and bits and bobs?

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I like doing a baked cajun chicken & rice. I usually use Hairy bikers cajun spice mix, peppers, onions, pinto beans or chickpeas

Reactions: 8
This is in the Green Roasting Tin - you can probably adapt it with what you have? Like maybe swap the amount of coconut milk for stock and the other stuff for your lentils and bits and bobs?
This is what we had the other day, so delicious!

• Heart
I don’t have coconut milk, soy sauce, ginger and can’t risk chili at the moment so I think by the time I swap those out it’s not really a recipe?

I cannot claim this is an extensively tried and tested recipe. Or indeed a recipe really, but I like tomatoey rice and you can do that by baking it. I’ve done it before and it does give you a nice crispy bit (if you like crispy rice).

This is Jamie’s version, but I’ve never done it with saffron. Method is basically the same as what I’d do though, just -saffron and maybe +garlic at the frying onion stage. If you wanted to throw some tinned pulses in too I think it would make a decent meal and maybe even some frozen veg (depending a little on what frozen veg you have available).

Also I use tinned tomatoes rather than tomato purée, which probably means mine is a bit looser. But either would work. Honest. Not a JM substitution.

If I had feta I’d be tempted to sprinkle some over it either before it goes in the oven or when it comes out, your choice!

Dried herb/spice wise - paprika would be nice. Bit of chilli maybe. Job done.

All my other suggestions probably involve spices that lean towards the curry flavoured, but I’ll have a ponder and if I can think of anything else I’ll come back.

Ooooo unless you have a pepper or two lying around?!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
@heretoreaditall2019 and @Pixieboots sending you both massive hugs ❤❤

@HotesTilaire too late for tonight but i absolutely love mujadara which is rice, lentils and caramelised onions. Can send you a recipe if you like!

Another Rachel Roddy success tonight! Literally just onions, celery, garlic, white beans, greens and rocket with plenty of parmesan, olive oil and chilli flakes. She's just SO GOOD

62043D53-0398-4486-9A45-B50ED82F35B3.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 21
@heretoreaditall2019 and @Pixieboots sending you both massive hugs ❤❤

Another Rachel Roddy success tonight! Literally just onions, celery, garlic, white beans, greens and rocket with plenty of parmesan, olive oil and chilli flakes. She's just SO GOOD

View attachment 444447
God. I love this sort of food. This looks utterly lush

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.