Food and Drink #16 Liedown larder

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
0D9C3F6B-7DFA-4689-BBAD-716A7C59BDD1.jpeg
I tried these hot cross buns the other week and they were very tasty for the price point of a quid. They reminded me of the cheapo Sainsbury’s version.

Reactions: 12
@heretoreaditall2019 and @Pixieboots sending you both massive hugs ❤❤

@HotesTilaire too late for tonight but i absolutely love mujadara which is rice, lentils and caramelised onions. Can send you a recipe if you like!

Another Rachel Roddy success tonight! Literally just onions, celery, garlic, white beans, greens and rocket with plenty of parmesan, olive oil and chilli flakes. She's just SO GOOD

View attachment 444447
Rachel Roddy is such a good food writer, and her recipes never fail. That looks lovely!

Reactions: 11
Has anyone come across good vegan hot cross buns? I never really got into them before but am really leaning into the seasonal food fun this year, because what else is there to break the monotony?

Edited for grammar because I was typing while slurping slop.

Reactions: 8
Think I've found the best wikihow article on the internet - look at the Q&A comments!!! humanity is doomed

Very complex recipe
This has reminded me of the guy who got laughed at on Reddit for following a recipe online for roast chicken & Yorkshire pudding, only he’d cooked the whole chicken in the batter 🤦‍♀️ he got really defensive in the comments 😁

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
This has reminded me of the guy who got laughed at on Reddit for following a recipe online for roast chicken & Yorkshire pudding, only he’d cooked the whole chicken in the batter 🤦‍♀️ he got really defensive in the comments 😁

This is incredible 🤣

I see one commenter has coined the name "cock in the hole" for this dish, let's hope it catches on, would love to see this in a cookbook 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 13
The ladies' recommended menu for today is a starter of waterproof traaaaaazers followed by lashings of mineral block.

sheep trousers.jpg

sheep crystalyx.jpg

I went up the hill this morning to collect their block and despite having already been fed, two-thirds of them came up with me (the other five saw the neighbour with the nearby flock arrive on his quad and followed him to see if there was MORE FOOD) so we had a break at the block for them to fortify themselves for the walk back. One or two took it a bit seriously! I have no idea what's so tasty about my waterproofs, but they got a thorough licking.

• Heart
Reactions: 30

I nosed at the recipe he followed and looking at the photo why god did he decide to cook that?! It looks awful, almost worse than something JM would make 🤢

• Haha
Reactions: 9

A little way down the page from that are these, they look so good! 😋
Screenshot_20210219-190119.png

• Heart
Reactions: 6
@Dustye if you want to go fancy M&S are doing Plant Kitchen hot cross buns this year, and Asda are doing Free From chocolate chip ones but I can't comment on quality as I haven't had any yet. A lot of the normal supermarket ones are already accidentally vegan. Sorry, that's only half useful.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
@Flumps I ended up having rice crispiest in the end (IDK what does a craving for rice mean?) but the saffron bake looks just the thing and I have everything except saffron so it’s worth a try.

@Falkor do you think the ladies keep hanging around near you because it’s their first lambs? Or just because they want sheep toffee? Maybe their cravings are for rubber and your trousers and wellies are just the thing!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Oh, 100% because they see me as a source of food! It's cupboard love :)

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Morning. I am indulging myself and watching Saturday Kitchen which I usually love - anyone else watching? I like Naga but she is coming across a bit too spikey for my liking today and its making me cringe a bit. I adore her style, she always dresses so beautifully.

@Flumps Rick Stein has just copied your pancake with the egg in it so he must read here!

Hope everyone who was having trouble with in laws and children this week are having a better weekend.

I have ordered the The Green Roasting Tin after the recommendations on here and its arriving tomorrow so will have my pen poised for a shopping list and meal planning for the week ahead.

Thanks for the update on the ladies @Falkor those pictures bring me such joy.

Its his birthday at the end of the month and so we have decided to both take a couple of days off work to spend time together. I am going to his house and will take over the kitchen and cook something nice for him. Not sure about what to do about a gift. It would have to be something small as he really is the man who has everything plus he earns about five times more than I do! Also - some advice please, on what to call him. I am 50 and it feels odd calling him my boyfriend but I don't know what else, partner? What do other people my age call their other halves?

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Morning. I am indulging myself and watching Saturday Kitchen which I usually love - anyone else watching? I like Naga but she is coming across a bit too spikey for my liking today and its making me cringe a bit. I adore her style, she always dresses so beautifully.

@Flumps Rick Stein has just copied your pancake with the egg in it so he must read here!

Hope everyone who was having trouble with in laws and children this week are having a better weekend.

I have ordered the The Green Roasting Tin after the recommendations on here and its arriving tomorrow so will have my pen poised for a shopping list and meal planning for the week ahead.

Its his birthday at the end of the month and so we have decided to both take a couple of days off work to spend time together. I am going to his house and will take over the kitchen and cook something nice for him. Not sure about what to do about a gift. It would have to be something small as he really is the man who has everything plus he earns about five times more than I do! Also - some advice please, on what to call him. I am 50 and it feels odd calling him my boyfriend but I don't know what else, partner? What do other people my age call their other halves?
Im 32 and I say partner or other half. I feel silly saying boyfriend.

Reactions: 11

We luv your bloke talk

• Heart
@Dustye if you want to go fancy M&S are doing Plant Kitchen hot cross buns this year, and Asda are doing Free From chocolate chip ones but I can't comment on quality as I haven't had any yet. A lot of the normal supermarket ones are already accidentally vegan. Sorry, that's only half useful.
Thank(space)you @traumatised sideboard, I didn't realise most of them are already accidentally vegan! Hot cross buns & Easter generally weren't really a thing in our family when I was growing up so I'm looking forward to making myself and the little one some kind of plant-based Spring buffet!

• Heart
Reactions: 9

I too was watching Saturday Kitchen earlier and I agree. Matt was being very funny, but Naga was being quite spiky in retaliation. Ottolenghi was a good egg though. As for what I call Mr Aquamarina, we’re both in our late 40s and I call him my other half/partner. Boyfriend makes us sounds like we’re in our teens/twenties in my mind.

Delighted to hear that things are going so well with your man @Universal. It’s one of the joys of Tattle for me, hearing about the lovely things in people’s lives, like sheep in lamb, babies and what not.

• Heart

Hah, not sure I can claim ownership of the idea. I think it’s pretty common in French crepes. Alternatively - grrr hiss, THAT MAN is all up in my niche. I am throwing eggs across the kitchen and howling and clawing the floor etc etc.

Re gifts - I think if you can’t go expensive, go niche/unique/personal. Do you have a song? Cheesy I know. Our song is (we are weird) the Imperial March from Star Wars, so one of MrF’s gifts for his 50th was a key ring of the sound wave of the Imperial March. See also, personalised LEGO figure. Also some original movie memorabilia - you can pick some of that up from eBay and other places for quite reasonable prices if you get lucky and have a more niche interest than the most massive films. Also originally cel drawings from cartoons can be quite reasonably priced and are super cool. These are, obvs, v nerdy suggestions.

First editions of books can be cool too.

I call MrF my partner generally, though given my ‘aesthetic’ I am sure that means 50% of the people I talk to assume he is probably a woman.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Hah, not sure I can claim ownership of the idea. I think it’s pretty common in French crepes. Alternatively - grrr hiss, THAT MAN is all up in my niche. I am throwing eggs across the kitchen and howling and clawing the floor etc etc.

Re gifts - I think if you can’t go expensive, go niche/unique/personal. Do you have a song? Cheesy I know. Our song is (we are weird) the Imperial March from Star Wars, so one of MrF’s gifts for his 50th was a key ring of the sound wave of the Imperial March. See also, personalised LEGO figure. Also some original movie memorabilia - you can pick some of that up from eBay and other places for quite reasonable prices if you get lucky and have a more niche interest than the most massive films. Also originally cel drawings from cartoons can be quite reasonably priced and are super cool. These are, obvs, v nerdy suggestions.

First editions of books can be cool too.

I call MrF my partner generally, though given my ‘aesthetic’ I am sure that means 50% of the people I talk to assume he is probably a woman.
yeah I generally go between partner and bf to be honest, but boyfriend always seems very teenage to me for some reason! the only thing I hate is people calling someone their "other half"... erm no you are a whole person

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.