Food and Drink #16 Liedown larder

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
🔺As a child of Canadians 🔺we had fluffy pancakes with bacon and maple syrup on most weekends and I've continued the tradition! So pancake day is strictly crepes with lemon and sugar here to make it feel special.

omg @heretoreaditall2019 i don't follow ptwm but might have to have a scroll later..

• Heart
Reactions: 15
ooh egg sounds good, how would you do it? cook it before or just put it in raw?
I put cheese and ham on top of a pancake, then fold up the sides into a square, leaving a space in the middle. Crack the egg into the space and let it cook so cheese melts and egg cooks. I hate white sloppy eggs bits, so I either put a lid on the pan to make sure the top of the egg cooks or pop it under a grill for a min or so to makes sure all white is white and not raw egg.

Like this, basically:

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I put cheese and ham on top of a pancake, then fold up the sides into a square, leaving a space in the middle. Crack the egg into the space and let it cook so cheese melts and egg cooks. I hate white sloppy eggs bits, so I either put a lid on the pan to make sure the top of the egg cooks or pop it under a grill for a min or so to makes sure all white is white and not raw egg.

Like this, basically:

yum! will def be trying this!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Flipping sheep, I took them back out totl the hill yesterday, all the way up to the high valley just behind the ridge they'd settled in before, and lugged the remaining 17kg or so of their mineral lick up with us in a rucksack along with a few kg of feed. Left them to it, came back down. This morning I head up to find them with some more feed and the buggers had drifted all the way back in and were waiting for me at the village gate!!

20210216_101739_capture.jpg

This time I've taken them a bit further, down to the clearance village which is a bit more sheltered, so hopefully they'll settle there. Amazing to think people used to live here - it's 2 miles from my house, but takes an hour to walk there because it's so hilly. My neighbour 4 doors down was born out here 80 years ago and brought into the village to live at his uncle's aged 7 because he was seriously ill and needed to be nearer the doctor. But there were still people living in this house in the late 1940s/early 1950s.

20210216_104152.jpg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 25
Churros are deep-fried cylinders of batter. They taste a lot nicer than that sounds! Sort of like doughnuts.

From the churro van (winter and local festivals only), you would usually have them dusted with sugar or dipped in melted chocolate (sometimes sprinkles too), served in a paper cone.

In a bar you'd have them mid-morning, served to dip in hot chocolate. I don't recommend this because Spanish hot chocolate is vile...it has a very thick and swampy texture. Presumably some people like it though!
I love having coffee and little sweet things for breakfast in Spain!

Speaking of spanish breakfast, has anyone ever seen this archival BBC footage - it's absolutely hilarious. This dude is absolutely appalled by Spanish tapas and their nibbling :LOL:. The entire thing sounds like heaven to me..

• Haha
Reactions: 15

Speaking of spanish breakfast, has anyone ever seen this archival BBC footage - it's absolutely hilarious. This dude is absolutely appalled by Spanish tapas and their nibbling :LOL:. The entire thing sounds like heaven to me..

"the spanish are clearly not british" :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: this is almost like spoof of a little englander, hilarious

• Haha

Thank you so much, that has made my day.

Surely this must be a parody?! There is so much to unpack here, hoooooly tit. It's beyond hilarious that the BBC rocked up in a fascist dictatorship and went, "The problem here is NO ENGLISH BREAKFAST." 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Thank you so much, that has made my day.

Surely this must be a parody?! There is so much to unpack here, hoooooly tit. It's beyond hilarious that the BBC rocked up in a fascist dictatorship and went, "The problem here is NO ENGLISH BREAKFAST." 🤣🤣🤣
yeah like with all the stuff going on in Spain that time having lunch at 2pm was the real atrocity :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

• Haha

This has made my day!! All those poor drunken mice with their "tappers" (loved that pronunciation), needing to learn a lesson from the decent British mice!

• Haha
Reactions: 11
has anyone read this PTWM drama? Apparently her step daughters have come on the thread and she’s vile to them?!

Sorry I know there’s more to catch up on but wanted to ask my tattle friends xx

Ooh, no! But I love me some Tattle drama, and I've had a distinct lack of PTWM in my life since leaving the SODs thread. Will investigate...

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Thanks for clarifying @Pocahontas first my feet, now my cat 😂 she's having lots of attention (even more than usual) because I felt like I had to balance out the universe after reading the kitten thing. She doesn't know that's why but she's loving it.

Crepes it is! I'm now about to make dinner and I'm going to have the pancakes afterwards. Those savoury pancakes sound really good @PunkyMonkey I'm definitely saving that recipe for later after I have become a pancake master.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
@Flumps I made your roasted leeks which you shared the recipe for a few threads ago and they were *chefs kiss* so thank(space)you very much. Had them with some smoked haddock fillets smothered in butter.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I'm making crepes. I might make savoury ones, with ham and cheese (and maybe an egg in the middle too), then lots of sweets ones FTW, with lemon and sugar (only correct topping, sorry wrong 'uns with your other toppings).

If I was with people who'd eat such things I'd have savoury ones filled with spinach, ricotta (or maybe goats cheese), lemon zest, nutmeg and some parmesan, with a tomato sauce and mozzarella all over them then baked (pancake version of cannelloni basically).
@Flumps , I can't wait for the Cabal Cook Book! ❤

Are we self-publishing on demand or going for a Go Fund Me?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Pancake day is my favourite day! We had crepe style, mine with orange and husband had Nutella 😋

has anyone read this PTWM drama? Apparently her step daughters have come on the thread and she’s vile to them?!

Sorry I know there’s more to catch up on but wanted to ask my tattle friends xx
I definitely don’t have time to follow another thread but I’m going to go and have a nose now!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
20210215_200904.jpg

Last night's dinner, again from The Green Roasting Tin - Broccoli, Walnut and Blue Cheese Quiche. First thoughts, delicious but definitely had a soggy bottom, probably due to the unboxed paper roll in the kitchen drawer being greaseproof paper rather than the baking paper that I thought it was; I also was too heavy handed with the chilli flakes for my stomach. I divided it in four; two helpings are in the freezer while the second is reheating in the oven, to serve with frozen peas with frozen whole mint leaves. The soggy bottom should be cooked this time 😄 I've been on a bit of a production line with preparing various fresh herbs for freezing as an alternative to dried.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I love all this pancake chat so am popping out of lurkerdom again to say that we had savoury [100%] vegan ones, with hummus, falafel, roasted veg and olives. Mostly because I'm a total plum who thought it was Pancake Day last week so we'd already had our fill of sweet ones.

It was delicious, and the wild toddler loved it too. He's been going through a particular challenging phase where he won't go in his highchair anymore, chucks his food about or tries to grab our plates and barely eats anything (he's always been brilliant with his food up until recently), so the fact he happily sat with us and tucked in made my day!

ETA: Spoiler for parenting chat

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
View attachment 440306

Last night's dinner, again from The Green Roasting Tin - Broccoli, Walnut and Blue Cheese Quiche. First thoughts, delicious but definitely had a soggy bottom, probably due to the unboxed paper roll in the kitchen drawer being greaseproof paper rather than the baking paper that I thought it was; I also was too heavy handed with the chilli flakes for my stomach. I divided it in four; two helpings are in the freezer while the second is reheating in the oven, to serve with frozen peas with frozen whole mint leaves. The soggy bottom should be cooked this time 😄 I've been on a bit of a production line with preparing various fresh herbs for freezing as an alternative to dried.
According to prue, the secret of a soggy bottom is semolina

Reactions: 7
Proof that there was at least one pancake. Please excuse my horrible worktops, have I mentioned that I RENT? I mixed up half the quantity of batter intended for four people with the idea of either only cooking half or cooking them all and putting half the in the fridge but in the end I ate them all (lemon and sugar also consumed for nostalgia purposes, not pictured). Also just so you know the fancy gianduja was a GIFT, I don't want anyone to think I purchase my own full-price condiments.

20210216_190257.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.