Food and Drink #16 Liedown larder

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You know you can ask for IRL appts if you feel it’d benefit you and baby, you’re entitled to say actually my anxiety is mad I’d really appreciate it if we could listen to the heart beat this week can I come in please. They should be quite agreeable, ours always were thank god. You don’t need to have the highest risk most traumatic pregnancy to warrant feeling adrift, it’s covid and it’s horrible to everyone. Definitely ask about extra support, my MW said she was making MH referrals for basically 50% of her caseload because covid is making it so hard for all of us. You’re not alone in this, it’s horrible but there’s lots of lovey silver linings in the future, and most importantly a wonderful happy baby. How close to your date are you if you don’t mind me asking?

Tbh if you want McDonald’s, get the McDonald’s! You’re not gonna be eating it 3 meals a day so it’s not a problem, it’s like everything when in moderation it’s fine! Although absolute torture not being allowed a McFlurry 😂 xx
So sorry I’m only just catching up. The PTWM thread just went nuts and we all now what the Jack threads are like! Please don’t give me too hard a time in my appraisal... 😉

I’m due mid April. I’m having other in person appointments as I’m a carrier of a dodgy gene which my child has a 50/50 chance of getting. It’s quite rare so don’t want to 🔺 myself. Whilst it isn’t anything absolutely life transforming - it’s still something that will mean medication for little one’s whole life. For the most part I’m totally fine and am extremely lucky because I’m having a very “easy” pregnancy. I’ll just have the odd day of a pity party for one!

Thank you for being so lovely and helpful. X

I have just nearly licked my laptop after seeing the beef sandwich, lunar cake, churros and perfect french toast. My sister and I always send each other pictures when we have cooked the perfect poached egg, we also write rude words with Alphabetti Spaghetti and send pictures of that too.

@LittleMissMuffet it must be so hard for you. Like the others have suggested I would ask for a midwife face to face check up for some reassurance if you need it. Are there local Facebook groups for pregnant women you can join? I joined a local NCT Bumps and Babies group and we sometimes met in person but there was also a lot of chat on line, that might help? Also you might be able to go walking with your prams in the summer once lockdown eases. Ten years on and I am still friends with them so its more than about the babies, its about a new chapter in your life and sharing it with people who were going through it. Luckily I met a great gang who were honest and shared their true parent experiences. I weeded out the ones who done the competitive parenting or were unsupportive.
I spent the weekend with him and we had a good chat about the future, started by him. When we met I didn't know what I wanted but he knew he wanted a relationship so we just gave it a go. He nervously asked me this weekend if I had any more thoughts about what I wanted. He said that he knows its early days but he really likes me and he was just checking in to see if we are on the same page. His very, very long term goal is to live with someone and he asked if this would be something I would consider no matter how far down the line. I know I will not get married but I would like to live with someone again. It felt really good to be able to speak so openly together.

Because of lockdown we have spent so much time in our little bubble and just with one another so its feels like we are further into the relationship than we would be in ordinary circumstances. We missed the dates in pubs and restaurants and went straight into the domestic environment of cooking together, doing the dishes etc , I started staying at his from date 4 (naughty!). I just hope that when lockdown eases and we can go out he knows how to behave in a restaurant :)

I knew when I first seen him he was physically my 'type' but now that I know he is funny, decent and clever he is so much more attractive to me. I know I know :sick:

Gosh I learn so much about other countries from this site. It makes me go away and learn more as I always feel so ignorant. This is scary but thank(space)you for sharing.
We have NCT classes starting next week - all via zoom though. So I’m sure that’ll help. I feel a bit like I’ve sad fished. Some days are hard but it’s like that for everyone!

Love your man update. Actually welled with tears because it’s just so wholesome. 🥰

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Hah, not sure I can claim ownership of the idea. I think it’s pretty common in French crepes. Alternatively - grrr hiss, THAT MAN is all up in my niche. I am throwing eggs across the kitchen and howling and clawing the floor etc etc.

Re gifts - I think if you can’t go expensive, go niche/unique/personal. Do you have a song? Cheesy I know. Our song is (we are weird) the Imperial March from Star Wars, so one of MrF’s gifts for his 50th was a key ring of the sound wave of the Imperial March. See also, personalised LEGO figure. Also some original movie memorabilia - you can pick some of that up from eBay and other places for quite reasonable prices if you get lucky and have a more niche interest than the most massive films. Also originally cel drawings from cartoons can be quite reasonably priced and are super cool. These are, obvs, v nerdy suggestions.

First editions of books can be cool too.

I call MrF my partner generally, though given my ‘aesthetic’ I am sure that means 50% of the people I talk to assume he is probably a woman.
Thanks for the advice everyone, he is now officially my partner. Although we agreed we were a couple about two weeks after I met him!

Great idea @Flumps there is a certain building he loves so I am going to get him a picture / drawing of it. He is a building nerd. I love you lot.

Just watched the end of Saturday Kitchen and no wonder Naga got food hell as she came across so unpleasant and they were all talking over one another at the end. Sir Matt of the Forearms took it in good sprit and didn't call her terrible though. Naga seemed to put the wine and cocktails away quite quickly for that time of the morning. I am going to cook the Ottelengi dish tonight as magically I have all of the ingredients in already so I think its what he would have wanted....

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Thanks for the advice everyone, he is now officially my partner. Although we agreed we were a couple about two weeks after I met him!

Great idea @Flumps there is a certain building he loves so I am going to get him a picture / drawing of it. He is a building nerd. I love you lot.

Just watched the end of Saturday Kitchen and no wonder Naga got food hell as she came across so unpleasant and they were all talking over one another at the end. Sir Matt of the Forearms took it in good sprit and didn't call her terrible though. Naga seemed to put the wine and cocktails away quite quickly for that time of the morning. I am going to cook the Ottelengi dish tonight as magically I have all of the ingredients in already so I think its what he would have wanted....

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Morning. I am indulging myself and watching Saturday Kitchen which I usually love - anyone else watching? I like Naga but she is coming across a bit too spikey for my liking today and its making me cringe a bit. I adore her style, she always dresses so beautifully.

@Flumps Rick Stein has just copied your pancake with the egg in it so he must read here!

Hope everyone who was having trouble with in laws and children this week are having a better weekend.

I have ordered the The Green Roasting Tin after the recommendations on here and its arriving tomorrow so will have my pen poised for a shopping list and meal planning for the week ahead.

Thanks for the update on the ladies @Falkor those pictures bring me such joy.

Its his birthday at the end of the month and so we have decided to both take a couple of days off work to spend time together. I am going to his house and will take over the kitchen and cook something nice for him. Not sure about what to do about a gift. It would have to be something small as he really is the man who has everything plus he earns about five times more than I do! Also - some advice please, on what to call him. I am 50 and it feels odd calling him my boyfriend but I don't know what else, partner? What do other people my age call their other halves?
I only caught the end when Matt was making her Hell dish. She seemed proper pissed off when she was given it at the end! That whole segment was awkward AF.

I call Mr NP my partner. We in our 30s and we’ve been together for 12 years so boyfriend sounds a bit too teenage to me.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Love the updates, @Universal - keep them coming! Mr F was my boyfriend in my 30s until he became my husband and I think now in my mid-40s I'd probably use boyfriend for at least 6 months before upgrading to partner.

Presents are tricky, I earn about 20% of what he does. Usually I go for experiences rather than things for him, normally a ticket to a gig he wants to go to, but that's harder in current circumstances. Anywhere near you doing a takeaway version of a posh afternoon tea or something like that?

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Love the updates, @Universal - keep them coming! Mr F was my boyfriend in my 30s until he became my husband and I think now in my mid-40s I'd probably use boyfriend for at least 6 months before upgrading to partner.

Presents are tricky, I earn about 20% of what he does. Usually I go for experiences rather than things for him, normally a ticket to a gig he wants to go to, but that's harder in current circumstances. Anywhere near you doing a takeaway version of a posh afternoon tea or something like that?
I wish there was another word as you've hit the nail on the head. Partner seems quite formal but boyfriend seems teenage (he is older than me).

I have found a metal cut out of a city skyline that he designed a high rise building for (at the risk of being 🔺) I have ordered that thanks to @Flumps suggestion. He lives in the middle of nowhere so zero chance of a takeaway (I wish). I am going to prep beef wellington and drive to his to cook it with a home made birthday cake.

Everyone else ok?

• Heart
Reactions: 17
My vaccine appointment is on Tuesday! I'm having a very bad brain weekend so far, so it's nice to have something to look forward to, even if that thing is being jabbed with a needle.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
I wish there was another word as you've hit the nail on the head. Partner seems quite formal but boyfriend seems teenage (he is older than me).

I have found a metal cut out of a city skyline that he designed a high rise building for (at the risk of being 🔺) I have ordered that thanks to @Flumps suggestion. He lives in the middle of nowhere so zero chance of a takeaway (I wish). I am going to prep beef wellington and drive to his to cook it with a home made birthday cake.

Everyone else ok?
Can you be my boyfriend/girlfriend/partner/lovebuddy?

• Heart
Reactions: 6
@Pixieboots thats great news. Whenever someone I know get vaccinated I have a little cry as its someone I dont have to worry about any more. Also a chance to get dressed up in real clothes. Hope your brain behaves today. Writing a list always helps me.

I'll let you know how my planned meal prep goes @LittleMissMuffet - you may change your mind if it all goes wrong!

• Haha
Fantastic news @Pixieboots! A handful of people I know have had theirs now and each time it reminds me there is a light at the end of all this, even though it feels never ending at times.

I made this slow-cooked ragu yesterday and my goodness it was delicious. I used his oven method which takes 4 hours at 160c as I didn’t get up in time to use the slow cooker 🙃 only remembered I had his book collecting dust the other day after buying it years ago.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Fantastic news @Pixieboots! A handful of people I know have had theirs now and each time it reminds me there is a light at the end of all this, even though it feels never ending at times.

I made this slow-cooked ragu yesterday and my goodness it was delicious. I used his oven method which takes 4 hours at 160c as I didn’t get up in time to use the slow cooker 🙃 only remembered I had his book collecting dust the other day after buying it years ago.

This sounds great!

• Heart
Hi all! Popping over from the main thread because I keep meaning to do so and I need to stop doomscrolling about IUDs so this seems the best place to be :)

1. Last night I cooked a quick version of uttapam (see attached), it looks SHOCKING as I can't make anything vaguely pancake-y for tit but was pretty tasty. My food appearance and food photography is the no.1 reason I put it out anon. I did send a pic to a friend of mine originally from Hyderabad and he seemed actually pretty impressed but hard to tell if it was a pat on the head or not. Either way, my stomach was happy.

2. Vaccine talk makes me excited, every day I hear of someone else getting it, congrats German Women (and Mens).

3. SHEEP.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 20
That looks mighty fine @discokebab.

For anyone who watched and cringed at Saturday Kitchen yesterday their twitter feed is full of people who feel the same and its an entertaining read.

Anyone seen @Alansbigplate? Its might be hours or days Ive not seen a post as I have no sense of time anymore, hope Alan is just on a big grunk and will arrive in present day soon.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Has anyone come across good vegan hot cross buns? I never really got into them before but am really leaning into the seasonal food fun this year, because what else is there to break the monotony?

Edited for grammar because I was typing while slurping slop.
Our Morrisons sell accidentally vegan ones - they’re made in the in store bakery so not sure if it will be the same in every store?

• Heart
Does anyone have a good recipe for beet bourguignon? Beef is the only meat I eat (very occasionally) and would like to find a decent alternative to having beef but I’m struggling. Have found some online but love a recommendation!

Brilliant, thank you!

ETA just realised this is beef not beet haha do you do this recipe with beetroot?
\Sorry I misread and thought it was a typo!! Funny as I have just taken delivery of The Green Roasting Tin as I want to reduce the amount of meat I eat. I promise to look in there for Beet recipes for you!

\Sorry I misread and thought it was a typo!! Funny as I have just taken delivery of The Green Roasting Tin as I want to reduce the amount of meat I eat. I promise to look in there for Beet recipes for you!
I have that book and didn’t even think of looking in it. Doh!! Enjoy the book

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.