Food and Drink #16 Liedown larder

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Don't @ me and far be it from me to disagree with Prue, her cookery school and her statement necklaces, but, you know, I'm going in anyway, I do not think this semolina business is often necessary, or indeed, desirable. I could justify this statement extensively, but essentially, semolina has a specific flavour and texture and even a sprinkling of it changes the nature of what you're baking. And it would have to be quite a generous sprinkle to have any real efficacy.

<awaits cancellation>

@Blurp - that looks like puff pastry and probably no blind baking (for ease of recipe I guess). Harder to avoid sogginess in that case, innit, no matter what paper you use. Best option probs preheated heavy tray in the oven to put the dish on once it goes in. Other than that, it's a trade off between convenience and better pastry outcome (though I have a soft spot for soggy puff pastry in a way I don't for any other sort of pastry, so I'd let it go).

God. I do go on about food. Soz.

We did have pancakes last night. My wonderful other half cooked them. Let's just say that was a generous and thoughtful gesture and I love him very much and leave it there.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
Babe, same x (on both!) I will live vicariously through the cabal for pancakes this year.

In other news I had a text this morning inviting me for a covid vaccine! I'm not sure why as I am not vulnerable, but I've booked my slot. I feel a bit guilty about it as I know there are plenty of people more deserving than me at this point but if they were offering they must have enough? I wonder if my area received more than they expected so are going out to anyone to stop them going to waste? Or maybe they've just got round people quickly? Whatever the reason I am pleased (if not scared, life long needle phobia over here).
We had zero pancakes because I was BUSY aka TIRED but have loved seeing the pics. Also as always @Falkor love the sheep updates! 💕. Do you have a name confirmed for your unnamed Tame sheep? Not sure if I’ve missed it!

Might need to go on a PTWM grunk, am thirsty for some Tattle thread chaos - though I’m not brave enough to try and summon the Candyman back to the JM threads.

I had a text from my GP surgery yesterday to book one too but was confused as I’m not aware I’m ‘clinically vulnerable’. Had to ring them for BabyBeds to get his reflux meds adjusted so asked.

The really helpful Receptionist said they (at GP Level) have been directed to move onto ‘Cohort 6’ which is people aged 16-65 (I think) who are classed as clinically vulnerable. 🔺Long story short because I had gestational diabetes during my first pregnancy (then you’re assumed as having it in any subsequent pregnancy regardless) I have a yearly blood test for diabete so that apparently puts me in the ‘clinically vulnerable’ list. Which to me seems ridiculous as I don’t have it, just might go on to develop it, or equally might not 🤷‍♀️. Told the receptionist I was worried I was taking a vaccine from someone else and she told me I wasn’t and that if I’ve had the message to book it’s because I meet the criteria which is set out centrally. The Receptionist basically told me to take it when offered. So if you’ve had the message assume it’s because something on your record matches to one of the qualifying criteria?

I think as well depending on your area everywhere will work through their lists at different speeds/efficiency etc. Plus GP surgeries have been told to switch to cohort 6 as it’s a bigger group and they want to obviously get as many vaccinated as possible. So other groups already called up are being pushed (rightly or wrongly) to book centrally and go to vaccination centres and not wait on their GP surgery to contact them.

Hope you don’t find it to bad needle wise.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
@EddieBeds - I decided to go with everybody's suggestions combined and she now goes by the very grand moniker of Fraulein Vivienne Squiggle. I suspect it will end up being Squigs for short. That's actually her at the front of the procession in the photo :)

I thought I'd got them to stay out today as I couldn't see them when I went to check the horses and top up their water, but just as I was finishing refilling the water tubs some movement on the hill caught my eye and an orderly procession of 15 ewes arrived at the gate ready for breakfast. I gave in today, it's much too windy to be trudging back up top, so they had breakfast there. I did wonder if they were coming in for another neighbour's hay bale, which he's put out in the first valley for his ewes, but I went back down with Mr F just now so he could help me roll out a new hay bale for the horses, and they were still grazing around the gate. I may just trudge up and get the mineral block and let them stay down, they've obviously decided this is where they want to be and if they're not nicking anyone else's hay and feed, then that's not a problem.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
@EddieBeds - I decided to go with everybody's suggestions combined and she now goes by the very grand moniker of Fraulein Vivienne Squiggle. I suspect it will end up being Squigs for short. That's actually her at the front of the procession in the photo :)

I thought I'd got them to stay out today as I couldn't see them when I went to check the horses and top up their water, but just as I was finishing refilling the water tubs some movement on the hill caught my eye and an orderly procession of 15 ewes arrived at the gate ready for breakfast. I gave in today, it's much too windy to be trudging back up top, so they had breakfast there. I did wonder if they were coming in for another neighbour's hay bale, which he's put out in the first valley for his ewes, but I went back down with Mr F just now so he could help me roll out a new hay bale for the horses, and they were still grazing around the gate. I may just trudge up and get the mineral block and let them stay down, they've obviously decided this is where they want to be and if they're not nicking anyone else's hay and feed, then that's not a problem.
So lovely! I’m watching ‘This Farming Life’ and seeing the sheared ewes reunited with their lambs was beautiful. Really recommend if anyone is having a crappy time to load it up on iplayer and just watch that bit on loop. Even MrEddieBeds was warmed by it.

They also showed sheep being moved, I think near your neck of the woods and it was incredible to see them being moved over the landscape/terrain! Then the Bull died 😭. But seeing the cows walking home was 🥰.

Reactions: 10
That bull had been dead quite some time when they found it, from the look of it :( I love the ewes refinding their lambs after shearing. Loppy, Nibbles and 406 never recognise each other when they've been shorn and there's usually a bit of a punch-up for a few minutes before they realise they're actually best mates!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
as I know so many of you loved that window view website I thought you would appreciate this city guessing game - people film themselves walking through cities all over the world and you have to guess where they are. Wonderful escapism and also dangerously addictive!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
@Toffee finger nothing specific I'm afraid but maybe a very light curry broth with noodles or a chickpea curry, something like that? I've used it in béchamel before as well and found it quite inoffensive. Mushroom pasta might be a good one, that works with coconut.

@blurstoftimes I thought I'd just zoom into the map at a random place to get started and found my new favourite place name.

ham spray.png

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
as I know so many of you loved that window view website I thought you would appreciate this city guessing game - people film themselves walking through cities all over the world and you have to guess where they are. Wonderful escapism and also dangerously addictive!

Omg this is perfect for my v weird husband who watches YouTube videos of someone walking through his town of origin, thank you! It’s bizarre but it sucks you in, she does them at night too and we’ll sit there feeling nervous as she goes through a creepy park or a church graveyard in the pitch black 😳 As if she’d ever be able to upload her own murder?!

Turns out my face rash is shingles and I’ve missed the window medicine is effective but am taking it anyway (it’s awful and causes major nausea!!). 2021 managing to fare worse than 2020 in just 2 months 😂

• Heart
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 32
Turns out my face rash is shingles and I’ve missed the window medicine is effective but am taking it anyway (it’s awful and causes major nausea!!). 2021 managing to fare worse than 2020 in just 2 months 😂
Oh no, shingles is horrible! I hope you're feeling okay @heretoreaditall2019. I had it when I was about 10/11 and remember feeling rotten, although it did mean I got to lounge around on the sofa and eat ice cream (the epitome of luxury to smol me). I hope you're getting chance to rest in amongst the MIL/SIL stress and parenting?

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Omg this is perfect for my v weird husband who watches YouTube videos of someone walking through his town of origin, thank you! It’s bizarre but it sucks you in, she does them at night too and we’ll sit there feeling nervous as she goes through a creepy park or a church graveyard in the pitch black 😳 As if she’d ever be able to upload her own murder?!

Can you not go home? I am sure you’d have less stress

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Just received an email telling me I'm on the new updated list of extremely clinical vulnerable. I really didn't want to have to shield, but it looks like I'm stuck with it for a while. 😭

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 26
My vaccine has just been booked for next week, so our surgery are on group 6 now. I'm in that group due to being an unpaid carer so worth anyone letting your GP know if that's the case for you too, as you won't be invited automatically.

In other news, we ran out of heating oil last week, due to the delivery not being able to get to us. Because of that, the really cold night we had here meant our pipes froze and burst, so we've had no water since last Friday. I've elected to attempt to fix it myself, and my repair joint has just arrived so I'll be spending some of the afternoon underneath my house playing plumbers! Fun times 😑.
Our oil still hasn't been delivered so we won't have heating today regardless, but thankfully it's been very mild here ❤

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 25

tit mate, I've had shingles so I really feel for you x No real advice but to rest as much as possible and dose up on pain.
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Thank you guys - surprisingly it’s cool apart from the nausea from the medicine?! And struggling to swallow a 800mg pill (why would you make them so big??). Am home now thankfully ❤

@Pixieboots I’m sorry you’re having to shield for longer. There was a lot of #discourse on this on Facebook this morning, apparently GPs and councils etc found out when you did which isn’t gr8 in terms of providing support?! Have you found out a vaccine date yet?

@Nottonightbabe omg what a nightmare - is there such a thing as a priority list to get this seen to?! You can’t be without water it’s inhumane!! xx

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Thank you guys - surprisingly it’s cool apart from the nausea from the medicine?! And struggling to swallow a 800mg pill (why would you make them so big??). Am home now thankfully ❤

@Pixieboots I’m sorry you’re having to shield for longer. There was a lot of #discourse on this on Facebook this morning, apparently GPs and councils etc found out when you did which isn’t gr8 in terms of providing support?! Have you found out a vaccine date yet?

@Nottonightbabe omg what a nightmare - is there such a thing as a priority list to get this seen to?! You can’t be without water it’s inhumane!! xx
No priority list as the pipes are our ones, so our responsibility, nowt to do with the water board. Didn't even look into getting a plumber as they no doubt would be hugely busy after the cold snap (plus ££). The pipes were insulated, but as it's a mobile home, they're always going to be more exposed to the elements than those in a house. We were doing ok till the morning it was -7 outside, and that did it! Just about to venture out to fix it, think dry thoughts for me 😂

Hope you feel better soon, have never had shingles but know it can be really nasty 🙁.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.