Food and Drink #16 Liedown larder

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
oh bless you! I thought scotland were sending there kids back to school after half term?

slightly obscene lunch today...leftover roast beef sandwiches with horseradish and pickled onions dipped in leftover gravy . The smell of gravy was enough to drag my 10 year old away from tending to her orchard on animal crossing...
this sounds amazing, tempted to drag myself to the butcher (that always somehow has an insane queue) to get beef so I can have this tomorrow :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 11
oh bless you! I thought scotland were sending there kids back to school after half term?

slightly obscene lunch today...leftover roast beef sandwiches with horseradish and pickled onions dipped in leftover gravy . The smell of gravy was enough to drag my 10 year old away from tending to her orchard on animal crossing...
Sadly only primary 1-3 going back next week,so first 3 age groups, mine miss those years so still an unknown amount of weeks of HS to go! Roast beef sandwiches are amazing, not had any left to make them!😩

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Good morrow. I made some churros on the weekend and was quite chuffed with how they turned out (despite the piping bag bursting twice and me splashing hot oil on my ankle). View attachment 437573
Good looking churros!! Now I'm tempted to go out to the churro van...I've had a bad stomach today so not the best idea but we're past carnival now so the churro van must surely be leaving town soon and I'm getting churro FOMO.

(I have no idea what the churro van guys do for a living in the summer months...hmm...)

Our election is over. We had record low turnout because of covid. The good news (for me and my friends at least!) is that pro-independence parties got over 50% of the total vote for the first time, even after they all ran horrendously poor campaigns marred by major infighting. But sadly low turnout is always good for extremists, so now we have 11 fascists in parliament, which is horrifying. We had the fascist party in town this week handing out leaflets that literally claim the independence movement is a front for radical Islam, so for them to get any kind of platform is very scary indeed.

Maybe I will go out to the churro van after all...

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
I have just nearly licked my laptop after seeing the beef sandwich, lunar cake, churros and perfect french toast. My sister and I always send each other pictures when we have cooked the perfect poached egg, we also write rude words with Alphabetti Spaghetti and send pictures of that too.

@LittleMissMuffet it must be so hard for you. Like the others have suggested I would ask for a midwife face to face check up for some reassurance if you need it. Are there local Facebook groups for pregnant women you can join? I joined a local NCT Bumps and Babies group and we sometimes met in person but there was also a lot of chat on line, that might help? Also you might be able to go walking with your prams in the summer once lockdown eases. Ten years on and I am still friends with them so its more than about the babies, its about a new chapter in your life and sharing it with people who were going through it. Luckily I met a great gang who were honest and shared their true parent experiences. I weeded out the ones who done the competitive parenting or were unsupportive.
I spent the weekend with him and we had a good chat about the future, started by him. When we met I didn't know what I wanted but he knew he wanted a relationship so we just gave it a go. He nervously asked me this weekend if I had any more thoughts about what I wanted. He said that he knows its early days but he really likes me and he was just checking in to see if we are on the same page. His very, very long term goal is to live with someone and he asked if this would be something I would consider no matter how far down the line. I know I will not get married but I would like to live with someone again. It felt really good to be able to speak so openly together.

Because of lockdown we have spent so much time in our little bubble and just with one another so its feels like we are further into the relationship than we would be in ordinary circumstances. We missed the dates in pubs and restaurants and went straight into the domestic environment of cooking together, doing the dishes etc , I started staying at his from date 4 (naughty!). I just hope that when lockdown eases and we can go out he knows how to behave in a restaurant :)

I knew when I first seen him he was physically my 'type' but now that I know he is funny, decent and clever he is so much more attractive to me. I know I know :sick:

Good looking churros!! Now I'm tempted to go out to the churro van...I've had a bad stomach today so not the best idea but we're past carnival now so the churro van must surely be leaving town soon and I'm getting churro FOMO.

(I have no idea what the churro van guys do for a living in the summer months...hmm...)

Our election is over. We had record low turnout because of covid. The good news (for me and my friends at least!) is that pro-independence parties got over 50% of the total vote for the first time, even after they all ran horrendously poor campaigns marred by major infighting. But sadly low turnout is always good for extremists, so now we have 11 fascists in parliament, which is horrifying. We had the fascist party in town this week handing out leaflets that literally claim the independence movement is a front for radical Islam, so for them to get any kind of platform is very scary indeed.

Maybe I will go out to the churro van after all...
Gosh I learn so much about other countries from this site. It makes me go away and learn more as I always feel so ignorant. This is scary but thank(space)you for sharing.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
I lurk here so much and rarely contribute - I struggle to keep up with the MT and PWTM threads. So most of my reading time is when I’ve been to the loo in the night and can’t get back to sleep. I’m currently with lamb so have found myself catching 2-3 hour stints of sleep each night.

absolutely love all the sheep chat. Brings some lightheartedness to life as we know it. I’ve struggled during this lockdown as someone said up thread - it feels likes there’s no end. I’ve not seen any family or friends for my entire pregnancy so far (it’s my first too). Don’t have many photos of me as we don’t go anywhere. Even going outside is stressful as I live in London and paths and parks are busy. I get quite stressed out because I’m always moving for other people and they don’t seem to care about distancing - especially joggers who for some reason always wait until they’re next to me to heavily breathe out!!!

Apologies for sounding like such a Debbie downer - I am really lucky as my husband is just amazing. We both just miss being able to head out to the countryside to go for long walks (which would actually be less of a risk than us walking round the local park!!) and I want to feel less anxious about not getting covid when we do get to see people.
Another pandemic pregnancy here 🙋‍♀️ you’re not being a Debbie Downer at all, especially as it’s your first pregnancy and you can’t enjoy it in the way one normally would. I understand how isolating it is at the moment. I don’t go anywhere but hospital appointments, which I have to go to every two weeks, otherwise I stay indoors. I just don’t want to risk anything.
Have you spoken to your midwife about how you feel? Sometimes they’re really good just for a chat. They probably have lots of women feeling the same right now. If you’re on social media, your local area may have online antenatal groups on Zoom (I’ve seen them advertised on Facebook), which will give you a chance to chat to other expecting mums in your area. It’s not the same as proper interaction but it could be good as you’re probably sharing the same experiences and worries at the moment.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I want churros now ❤

I’m so bored of cooking for myself and little one. He’s at his dads for a few days now and I just cba to cook properly for myself. I miss restaurants. I want some of you fraus to adopt me as your food looks 👌🏻

loving the bloke updates and sheep updates too! Nothing is happening in my little world so I enjoy these insights into others lives.

• Heart
Good morrow. I made some churros on the weekend and was quite chuffed with how they turned out (despite the piping bag bursting twice and me splashing hot oil on my ankle). View attachment 437573
These look incredible 😭 I thought I was off sugary food after a day of scarfing down cakes but clearly not, I'd totally go for these right now.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Sorry I’m so delayed in replying, I have 3 pages to catch up on too so sorry if chat has changed and I’m putting this amongst something v serious!

omg yes!! Love love love raspberries, what a cutie! It’s his little baby language to the world, it’s funny when they find it funny too. 🥰😭

It sounds like you’re doing amazingly with your new diet & feeding, I’m shocked at how common milk/lactose allergies are, I’d say about a quarter of our WhatsApp group has them! Although for reasons I can’t remember some of them have gone back and tried “normal” formula and been successful, or are climbing the milk ladder as part of weaning and are doing very well so hopefully the universe will catch you a break some time soon! On eggs - this is v JM of me but have you had scrambled tofu? I love eggs but the concept of what they are does me in tbh, so opt for that and LOVE it!

Baby HTRIA is a cutie, she’s started developing a sense of humour and she’s genuinely funny / in my extended isolation I’ve regressed to a state where she’s an emerging comedic talent 😂 She has her first tooth bless her, duck me it’s hell though isn’t it - would sooner get all my teeth taken out just to give her them to avoid those sad baby cries when it gets too much. I feel guilty giving her anbesol as it’s got alcohol in it and where neither of us would be happy taking it is it fair to give it her? :/ tbh it’s medicine not eyelid sausages isn’t it, should just get over it!

We’re at my MILs up north now (legally allowed forming a support bubble for babies under 1 year, we were going crazy we had to leave :/) and I’m struggling. Currently sat on a step outside the room she’s in praying she doesn’t stir again! This is a big house but there’s simply not enough room for a baby as his sister insists on keeping everything from childhood and her 20s (she’s nearly 40) so the house is overrun with piles and piles of tit. SIL is a difficult person so it’s not a conversation that can be had, and clearly why the poor mum has her house like this, but anyway because of this baby wasn’t able to sleep in my room which is obviously gutting. I cried because it’s the furthest apart we’ve ever been and I know it didn’t go down well with MIL. Baby has now been moved between 3 different rooms over the last 3 nights for various reasons all relating to why the house just is not suitable. Can’t fall asleep watching her on the baby cam cos there’s no where safe to put it that wouldn’t mean the camera’s wire being somewhere dangerous or balancing it on top of a possible land slide of shite. Tonight I get her back to sleep and step back and a PILE OF TILES left on the ducking floor came crashing down so she woke up super alert. It’s just stressful and frustrating, now my husband knows I won’t come back here until it’s either cleared (when hell freezes over) or she’s old enough to sleep in a bed with me (because of choking hazards amongst these piles of shite) so god knows when he’ll drive us back home. I’m not a 1950s oppressed woman saying that, I just can’t confidently drive the vehicle we took and I’m not sure if I’m still even insured on it! Sorry for the massive pointless overshare it’s just nice to RELEASE on my step! Xxxxxx

Happy belayed Valentine’s Day guys, so glad for these threads in lockdown / never ending covid. ❤ Can’t wait to catch up and see what meals and #romance you’ve all had.

I got gifted a massive face rash from the gods so spent my v day googling sepsis and shingles. Hopefully will get a GP appt tomorrow for a cure, but until then I daren’t leave the house, a visible rash is bad enough much less during a pandemic! Will end up tasered by one of those covid enforcement agents / like when Shrek was run out the village x
Hope you got a GP appointment/some answers for the rash?

The churros and eggy bread look amazing 🤤. I spent the weekend puréeing fruit and veg for the freezer for BabyBeds and came to the conclusion that my home made slop looks more appetising than JMs offerings.

Wow I can only imagine how difficult that is to manage - just reading it made me anxious. That’s ducking insane that the sister basically uses the house like that - surely depending on age of your MIL or even in future years that can’t be fair in terms of she can’t move the stuff herself or if she was to fall. Let alone the added pressure it’s putting on you right now - I think sleeping apart from your baby for the first time can be emotional/stressful etc as it without all of that on top. Sorry aware it’s nothing useful I’m saying but just more I hear you.

Also love the idea of baby HTRIA being an up and coming comedian! Ah teething is the ducking worst - I swear by anbesol but hadn’t thought of it having alcohol in. You’ve no doubt tried this but you can get powder sachets - Ashtons I think that with the eldest we found useful alongside anbesol.

Yes to milk allergy etc being way more common than you think. BabyBeds had so much issue on top of it that they wouldn’t let us challenge with normal formula. Plus I’m combi feeding so still bf so think that makes it harder to challenge as in to definitively say - the Paediatric Dietician went so far as to say she found us a difficult case as her texts either talk about formula fed babies or breast fed babies not combi feeding which given a lot of women must do this made me a bit 🥴. We’ve had the green light for early weaning so hoping that will help things and we can then breeze through the milk/egg/soya ladders. I’ve stayed away from tofu as it’s soya isn’t it? And I have to avoid that as the protein is very similar to milk (or how it’s recognised by the body). I got some of that Crackd stuff to try yorkies with but never thought to try that for an omlette or scrambled egg - the yorkies were an epic fail so put me off!

@LittleMissMuffet - don’t apologise or feel you can’t complain/sound ungrateful etc just because you’ve had an ‘easy’ pregnancy so far. First pregnancies/babies are such a minefield to navigate at the best of times as you don’t have a benchmark - can only imagine what experiencing it during a pandemic is like. Experiencing a second pregnancy during Covid was challenging enough! HTRIA said it all more eloquently than I can but enjoy this last bit as much as you can and reach out to your midwife is needed. ❤

• Heart
What kind of pancakes does everyone normally make? Classic crepes or fluffy American-style? I need inspiration, I haven't made pancakes on pancake day for maybe ten years (please don't excommunicate me) but I'm quite tempted this year.

Last time I made hotteok as I was obsessed with Korean cooking at the time. Definitely recommend if you want something a bit different and don't mind spending a little more time on it.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
What kind of pancakes does everyone normally make? Classic crepes or fluffy American-style? I need inspiration, I haven't made pancakes on pancake day for maybe ten years (please don't excommunicate me) but I'm quite tempted this year.

Last time I made hotteok as I was obsessed with Korean cooking at the time. Definitely recommend if you want something a bit different and don't mind spending a little more time on it.
I make an “ordinary “ pancakes. All the possible toppings are put on the table - sugar, currants and fresh lemon juice, variety of jams and Nutella.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I’ve got some aunt jemima’s mix in for this year cos I’ve got addicted to buying shite off Amazon

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
Yeppp that’s exactly the syrup I’m planning on having! Sticky high five

Edit: oh whoops you said mix, not syrup
I didn’t buy syrup because then I’d put it in errrrrrrrythang. I’ll have honey or lemon and sugar and kid will have Nutella

• Heart
Reactions: 15

Mmm they look delicious! Might have to add them to my repertoire - thanks for the useful link - zoinks!
I make crepes a lot, but small ones in two pans on the go cos it somehow feels like the process is faster doing it that way.
Hope your cat is well! (That’s not a euphemism. I mean your cat.)

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.