Food and Drink #16 Liedown larder

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
i just have to share my lunch of dreams today! The dregs of last night's homemade sag aloo (basically just curried spinach), a freshly made chapati, garlic yogurt, lime pickle, mango chutney and some coriander. All rolled up and eaten as a wrap. omg i could eat a million of these.

View attachment 432590
This looks so so SO delicious. I make @Flumps sag aloo about once a week. I could eat it all day every day and never get bored.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Much as Viggle or Frau Viggle is a fabulous name for a sheep, since her offspring are likely to end up in the food chain at some level I'd be worried about causing offence to any of the real Viggles who've joined the MT after the Linda McC chaos!

It would be cruel to saddle her with A Sheep Called Jack, wouldn't it?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
I feel like all this thread needs now is photos/videos of cats running around/somehow playing with the beautiful sheep :love:

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Happy Lunar New Year to any frauen or herren who celebrate! I do but this year...ehh...not so much.

It's also carnival here which is usually very big but obviously not this year. I did see a couple of kids dressed up, and most of the shops have window displays for it, but nothing like normal. Last year I went to a village which celebrates carnival in a very strange way, everything is penis-themed including a giant pyrotechnic penis, a complex story involving an evil wizard who wants to chop off a stupid giant's penis and make stew, and penis-shaped sandwiches for everyone to enjoy. This was the second Catalan penis-themed festival I've been to, and it was a bit like opening the wrong drawer in Jack Monroe's dresser.

Anyway, no real carnival this year. Anyone else kind of over 2021 already?

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Happy Lunar New Year to any frauen or herren who celebrate! I do but this year...ehh...not so much.

It's also carnival here which is usually very big but obviously not this year. I did see a couple of kids dressed up, and most of the shops have window displays for it, but nothing like normal. Last year I went to a village which celebrates carnival in a very strange way, everything is penis-themed including a giant pyrotechnic penis, a complex story involving an evil wizard who wants to chop off a stupid giant's penis and make stew, and penis-shaped sandwiches for everyone to enjoy. This was the second Catalan penis-themed festival I've been to, and it was a bit like opening the wrong drawer in Jack Monroe's dresser.

Anyway, no real carnival this year. Anyone else kind of over 2021 already?
any ideas how this penis themed carnival came about?! I keep forgetting we are even in 2021 tbh as it seems the whole of last year kind of didn;t happen, I keep mentioning things I did "last year" and realising it was 2019 when we could actually do anything fun

• Haha
any ideas how this penis themed carnival came about?! I keep forgetting we are even in 2021 tbh as it seems the whole of last year kind of didn;t happen, I keep mentioning things I did "last year" and realising it was 2019 when we could actually do anything fun
Sadly I don't think it's an ancient tradition with origins lost to the mists of time...the other penis festival I've been to was invented in the 80s by a local organisation because their town was so very dull, and I think the penis carnival is similar.

I have no snow or sheep, but check out this spectacular rainbow!

20210212_180612.jpg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 25
I constantly refer to 2019 as last year! I am very much looking forward to my very first penis festival in 2022 now that @colouredlines has brought this to my attention.

For those of you homeworking, can I suggest making a lentil dhal on the Monday and eating it for lunch all week with various options from the fridge? Its been a staple this week for me - just a red lentil dhal with chilli, turmeric, cumin and coconut milk that I have added a variant of yogurt, mint, coriander, tomatoes, flatbread, naan, spring onions. I swear I have been craving it by noon each day. Inspired but the beautiful posts earlier.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Good moaning
god I feel cold just looking at that! it is still freezing here but no snow which is just disappointing.
Anyone have good recipe suggestions for lean venison mince? I got about 300gr on sale for 90p in waitrose (fancy) !

Reactions: 6
I can feel the coldness from here.

@emm with 300g all I can come up with is a burger, perhaps two once bulked out with onions. Maybe a cottage pie for two with tons of veg?
thats actually what i ended uo doing with caramelised onions and tomatoes. was yum!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
omg that looks incredible - wonderful photography too! what's your butternut squash dal recipe ?
It's loosely based on That Man's recipe, which is perfectly lovely -

however these days I don't usually bother with making the temper, and I change the spices up sometimes too. For the one I made the other day I used a couple of tablespoons of garam masala and a couple of a mild Madras powder that I had in. One thing I always do now with any dhal I make (albeit there's only 3 in my repertoire - cauli, aubergine and this one) is stir through some mango chutney at the end. I think it balances the flavours out nicely, but I am a bit of a fan of a sweetish curry. I also often get the kids portions sorted first, then heat up mine and Mr NT's with some dried or fresh chilli.

Talking of spices, does anyone bulk buy them anywhere? I usually get the larger bags from the "world food" section at Morrisons, but seem to be struggling to get hold of them lately, always seem to be out of stock 😕.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
It's loosely based on That Man's recipe, which is perfectly lovely -

however these days I don't usually bother with making the temper, and I change the spices up sometimes too. For the one I made the other day I used a couple of tablespoons of garam masala and a couple of a mild Madras powder that I had in. One thing I always do now with any dhal I make (albeit there's only 3 in my repertoire - cauli, aubergine and this one) is stir through some mango chutney at the end. I think it balances the flavours out nicely, but I am a bit of a fan of a sweetish curry. I also often get the kids portions sorted first, then heat up mine and Mr NT's with some dried or fresh chilli.

Talking of spices, does anyone bulk buy them anywhere? I usually get the larger bags from the "world food" section at Morrisons, but seem to be struggling to get hold of them lately, always seem to be out of stock 😕.
Redrickshaw.com may be worth a look

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Valais Blacknose! Gorgeous but phenomenally expensive at the moment because there aren't many in the country - they come from Switzerland and the Swiss aren't terribly keen on exporting them.
Just out of curiosity, how much is a sheep?

Asking for a friend...

• Haha
  • Heart
Just out of curiosity, how much is a sheep?

Asking for a friend...
A Valais Blacknose or something a bit more ordinary? A Valais Blacknose ewe lamb around £2,500-£3,000 each. For North Country Cheviots, like mine, if you were buying from my friend Joyce, who has proven herself with her stock time and time again in the sale ring that she breeds a sheep which will grow on quickly and easily for meat or will birth and rear healthy lambs with very little intervention needed, then you'd be looking at about £200 for a ewe lamb or one of her retiring 5-year-old ewes (they'll carry on having lambs for a good 5 or 6 years more, but need either better grazing or less harsh weather to do really well from then on). From someone like me, just doing it for a hobby, about £50. Bear in mind they can't live alone, so budget for at least 2 and preferably 3 because then when one inevitably drops dead for no apparent reason, the other one still has company.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Now thinking about whether I can squash 3 sheep into my back garden!

My PIL live in the sticks and they do actually have a huge back garden with a stream running through the middle, on the back part away from the house they have the neighbour's sheep running around. Super cute in spring when they lamb - unfortunately not been there for 18 months due to this bloody plague :(.

So last night was date night #7 of 2021. When we started this I had high hopes that we'd be out of lockdown on 15 Feb (and going on hols in March). But here we still are, still locked down, still winter and I've shifted my planned March hol to November :(.

Anyway...it was Mr BB's turn to cook and he made a chicken and chorizo pie...it was yummers but extremely filling. Recipe credit here.

I had planned to do chicken biryani next Sat but I think I'm pivoting to pancakes - gruyere & smoked ham to start and then a crepe suzette for Mr BB (I'm not a fan of sweet stuff).

It was my birthday this week and I couldn't think of anything I wanted (because usually it would be something to do with holidays / travel) so I have a 3-month flower subscription (taking a leaf out of a certain person's book there). The first lot came on Friday...I can't arrange them so just shoved them all in two vases and hoped for the best.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.