Food and Drink #16 Liedown larder

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Any slow cooker recipe recommendations that don’t end up as slop or taste the same? My slow cooker sits at the back of the cupboard and only gets brought out once a year when I fancy gammon or sweet potato chilli. I’ve tried mince and sausages in it but the texture makes me heave. Too softly, softly. I want to make use of it once baby is here in less than a month otherwise I’ll be forced to live on burnt toast and Pot Noodles as I’m the only one in this house who knows how to operate the oven :rolleyes:

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Dear @traumatised sideboard I've had a mopey V Day too, so sending much solidarity and hugs.

Here is the cake I made for Lunar New Year (sorry I'm as bad as Her Lieness at food photography) which I would love to share with you/fuel Slopbot with (I mean, it's a very squidgy drizzle cake, very slop adjacent?) but unfortunately can't because anonymous message board/geographical location/cake allergy/fear of stalker monkeys/citrusphobia
*delete as applicable

Thanks for so consistently making us laugh, you sweet evil genius 🥰

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Thank you dear heart @PunkyMonkey 😘 I am sorry that your day has been bad too. The cake looks lovely though! I wish I could have some, I'm having ridic carb cravings at the moment.

I hope everyone else is doing well and the weather is improving if you've had a stupid amount of snow. The novelty factor wore off for me somewhere around day two after my morning walk 😅

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Do any of you have recommendations for a good avatar? My username is a spoonerism. Thankspaceyou.

Reactions: 2
It’s our neighbours garage - weirdly the snow is not covering up a path/step, they have to trample over the garden to get to it!

@NP that’s bloody brilliant news!

Thank you 😊
How is Baby HTRIA doing?

BabyBeds has just started doing an attempt at blowing a raspberry- it’s so cute and funny as he can’t quite connect it up but clearly amazed at his new found skill!

I got to trial eggs, well something with eggs baked in (long story short he’s combi fed as even though I have milk in abundance the reflux causes feeding aversion so he doesn’t BF long enough!) and he’s had a clear reaction so back to egg free. Selfishly I’m gutted as I love eggs - have found it (cheese aside) relatively ok to exclude milk and soya. But hopefully we’ll get BabyBeds through the milk/soya/eggs ladder in the future. So not all doom and gloom.

MrEddieBeds reaction was ‘so that makes you what, 50% vegan if all you eat is the meat but no diary or eggs?’ - sadly he didn’t get why it made me hoot!
Sorry I’m so delayed in replying, I have 3 pages to catch up on too so sorry if chat has changed and I’m putting this amongst something v serious!

omg yes!! Love love love raspberries, what a cutie! It’s his little baby language to the world, it’s funny when they find it funny too. 🥰😭

It sounds like you’re doing amazingly with your new diet & feeding, I’m shocked at how common milk/lactose allergies are, I’d say about a quarter of our WhatsApp group has them! Although for reasons I can’t remember some of them have gone back and tried “normal” formula and been successful, or are climbing the milk ladder as part of weaning and are doing very well so hopefully the universe will catch you a break some time soon! On eggs - this is v JM of me but have you had scrambled tofu? I love eggs but the concept of what they are does me in tbh, so opt for that and LOVE it!

Baby HTRIA is a cutie, she’s started developing a sense of humour and she’s genuinely funny / in my extended isolation I’ve regressed to a state where she’s an emerging comedic talent 😂 She has her first tooth bless her, duck me it’s hell though isn’t it - would sooner get all my teeth taken out just to give her them to avoid those sad baby cries when it gets too much. I feel guilty giving her anbesol as it’s got alcohol in it and where neither of us would be happy taking it is it fair to give it her? :/ tbh it’s medicine not eyelid sausages isn’t it, should just get over it!

We’re at my MILs up north now (legally allowed forming a support bubble for babies under 1 year, we were going crazy we had to leave :/) and I’m struggling. Currently sat on a step outside the room she’s in praying she doesn’t stir again! This is a big house but there’s simply not enough room for a baby as his sister insists on keeping everything from childhood and her 20s (she’s nearly 40) so the house is overrun with piles and piles of tit. SIL is a difficult person so it’s not a conversation that can be had, and clearly why the poor mum has her house like this, but anyway because of this baby wasn’t able to sleep in my room which is obviously gutting. I cried because it’s the furthest apart we’ve ever been and I know it didn’t go down well with MIL. Baby has now been moved between 3 different rooms over the last 3 nights for various reasons all relating to why the house just is not suitable. Can’t fall asleep watching her on the baby cam cos there’s no where safe to put it that wouldn’t mean the camera’s wire being somewhere dangerous or balancing it on top of a possible land slide of shite. Tonight I get her back to sleep and step back and a PILE OF TILES left on the ducking floor came crashing down so she woke up super alert. It’s just stressful and frustrating, now my husband knows I won’t come back here until it’s either cleared (when hell freezes over) or she’s old enough to sleep in a bed with me (because of choking hazards amongst these piles of shite) so god knows when he’ll drive us back home. I’m not a 1950s oppressed woman saying that, I just can’t confidently drive the vehicle we took and I’m not sure if I’m still even insured on it! Sorry for the massive pointless overshare it’s just nice to RELEASE on my step! Xxxxxx

Happy belayed Valentine’s Day guys, so glad for these threads in lockdown / never ending covid. ❤ Can’t wait to catch up and see what meals and #romance you’ve all had.

I got gifted a massive face rash from the gods so spent my v day googling sepsis and shingles. Hopefully will get a GP appt tomorrow for a cure, but until then I daren’t leave the house, a visible rash is bad enough much less during a pandemic! Will end up tasered by one of those covid enforcement agents / like when Shrek was run out the village x

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I lurk here so much and rarely contribute - I struggle to keep up with the MT and PWTM threads. So most of my reading time is when I’ve been to the loo in the night and can’t get back to sleep. I’m currently with lamb so have found myself catching 2-3 hour stints of sleep each night.

absolutely love all the sheep chat. Brings some lightheartedness to life as we know it. I’ve struggled during this lockdown as someone said up thread - it feels likes there’s no end. I’ve not seen any family or friends for my entire pregnancy so far (it’s my first too). Don’t have many photos of me as we don’t go anywhere. Even going outside is stressful as I live in London and paths and parks are busy. I get quite stressed out because I’m always moving for other people and they don’t seem to care about distancing - especially joggers who for some reason always wait until they’re next to me to heavily breathe out!!!

Apologies for sounding like such a Debbie downer - I am really lucky as my husband is just amazing. We both just miss being able to head out to the countryside to go for long walks (which would actually be less of a risk than us walking round the local park!!) and I want to feel less anxious about not getting covid when we do get to see people.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I lurk here so much and rarely contribute - I struggle to keep up with the MT and PWTM threads. So most of my reading time is when I’ve been to the loo in the night and can’t get back to sleep. I’m currently with lamb so have found myself catching 2-3 hour stints of sleep each night.

absolutely love all the sheep chat. Brings some lightheartedness to life as we know it. I’ve struggled during this lockdown as someone said up thread - it feels likes there’s no end. I’ve not seen any family or friends for my entire pregnancy so far (it’s my first too). Don’t have many photos of me as we don’t go anywhere. Even going outside is stressful as I live in London and paths and parks are busy. I get quite stressed out because I’m always moving for other people and they don’t seem to care about distancing - especially joggers who for some reason always wait until they’re next to me to heavily breathe out!!!

Apologies for sounding like such a Debbie downer - I am really lucky as my husband is just amazing. We both just miss being able to head out to the countryside to go for long walks (which would actually be less of a risk than us walking round the local park!!) and I want to feel less anxious about not getting covid when we do get to see people.
Oh my love this is so sad to read, I’m so sorry you’re going through this but please remember you’re very much not alone and this is temporary(ish), I really relate and we have/had very similar circumstances ❤ The most important thing is you enjoying your pregnancy, or finding joy wherever you can because the world is not currently generous with it. The weather makes it very hard to get out but can you do special things within your home like okay today is picnic day, or cooking X that you love, or trying a new restaurant to order in? It sounds stupid but I find that gives me something to look forward to which makes the week fly and generally improves mood?

Have you spoken to your midwife about this? I got a mental health referral because I was struggling with mat discrimination thing at work, ended up in CBT over self esteem but honestly it was SO good and really transformative and given me a skill set to handle being a FTM and disappointed about lockdown etc. You’ll be prioritised as you’re pregnant / will have a baby under 1. Highly recommend this, and don’t let your brain talk you out of it as it’s a waste of NHS time etc, you deserve help you’re at one of the most vulnerable points in your life during a pandemic, you need looking after!

WRT walking - I know, it breaks my heart seeing people walking 12, 15 people deep fully knowing that’s at least 3 generations of a family made up of a few houses per gen at that! We can’t go to parks anymore either as all younger people are posing with coffee cups and £££ pedigree dogs too now the bottomless Prosecco brunches have shut lol. Tbh I know it’s illegal but I’d be tempted to do something in between where you drive to a big shop then do a walk round there so you’ve got an excuse as to why you’re out. It’s not ideal looking at a Halfords click and collect queue and boarded up Maplin down Beckton retail park but what’s a girl to do 😂

Sorry this is nonsensical but I really wish the best for you and baby. It sounds silly as when you’re heavily pregnant you just want the baby out so you can meet them but I regret letting myself get so down and counting down the days. Covid has caused so much trauma in all of us it’s hard to say how it’ll get better but also remember you’ve got the world of baby cuddles opening up soon! As much as it’s horrible having no support having that 100% close time with baby is wonderful and for me I’ve found it’s helped soothe a lot of the resentment I had over my pregnancy. Sorry this is an essay (praying I don’t get a mod edit 😂😂) but sending lots of love to you and baby, I’m so jealous you can stroke your tummy and feel their little bum and kicky feet and back how cuuuuteee!!! 🥰🥰🥰🥰 xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Oh my love this is so sad to read, I’m so sorry you’re going through this but please remember you’re very much not alone and this is temporary(ish), I really relate and we have/had very similar circumstances ❤ The most important thing is you enjoying your pregnancy, or finding joy wherever you can because the world is not currently generous with it. The weather makes it very hard to get out but can you do special things within your home like okay today is picnic day, or cooking X that you love, or trying a new restaurant to order in? It sounds stupid but I find that gives me something to look forward to which makes the week fly and generally improves mood?

Have you spoken to your midwife about this? I got a mental health referral because I was struggling with mat discrimination thing at work, ended up in CBT over self esteem but honestly it was SO good and really transformative and given me a skill set to handle being a FTM and disappointed about lockdown etc. You’ll be prioritised as you’re pregnant / will have a baby under 1. Highly recommend this, and don’t let your brain talk you out of it as it’s a waste of NHS time etc, you deserve help you’re at one of the most vulnerable points in your life during a pandemic, you need looking after!

WRT walking - I know, it breaks my heart seeing people walking 12, 15 people deep fully knowing that’s at least 3 generations of a family made up of a few houses per gen at that! We can’t go to parks anymore either as all younger people are posing with coffee cups and £££ pedigree dogs too now the bottomless Prosecco brunches have shut lol. Tbh I know it’s illegal but I’d be tempted to do something in between where you drive to a big shop then do a walk round there so you’ve got an excuse as to why you’re out. It’s not ideal looking at a Halfords click and collect queue and boarded up Maplin down Beckton retail park but what’s a girl to do 😂

Sorry this is nonsensical but I really wish the best for you and baby. It sounds silly as when you’re heavily pregnant you just want the baby out so you can meet them but I regret letting myself get so down and counting down the days. Covid has caused so much trauma in all of us it’s hard to say how it’ll get better but also remember you’ve got the world of baby cuddles opening up soon! As much as it’s horrible having no support having that 100% close time with baby is wonderful and for me I’ve found it’s helped soothe a lot of the resentment I had over my pregnancy. Sorry this is an essay (praying I don’t get a mod edit 😂😂) but sending lots of love to you and baby, I’m so jealous you can stroke your tummy and feel their little bum and kicky feet and back how cuuuuteee!!! 🥰🥰🥰🥰 xxx
This is going to sound creepy but I actually think of you a lot! Thank you so much for the advice. I do feel very ungrateful because actually after the first 4 months, I’ve had a very easy pregnancy. Even now in my 3rd tri I’m still super mobile and don’t have any aches or pains. I feel a bit like a fraud because for the most part I’m fine and I do have an extremely supportive husband who I can easily spend 24hrs a day with and still not get bored of him. I think I’m just grieving for the time lost. Other people have had weddings cancelled, lost loved ones and haven’t been able to go to funerals.

All of my further midwife appointments have been moved to phone calls. At my last in person appt they gave me a small blood pressure machine so I can test before each call. I don’t mind too much but it means no hearing the heartbeat or having a physical to tell me how baby is lying in there etc. It can sometimes feel like I’m a bit rudderless in this all. I hate the advice of listen to your body because honestly the only clear thing my body says is “you want McDonalds...”

Right enough of this self pitying and thread hogging! Sending you & mini lots of love xxxx

• Heart
Reactions: 19
They were indeed - well, I made a chocolate ganache. And they were rolled in cinnamon sugar. I was scared of the deep frying as well, but it was less scary than I thought it would be (despite the oil splash 😂)
Chocolate ganache 😱 Heaven. Def worth a few oil splashes.

Good luck to all the fraus trying to keep their kids entertained during half term this week. Mine is upstairs playing animal crossing and I expect I'll only see her around mealtimes for the rest of the day. Which is fine because we are moving out next week so there is a lot of boring tit for me to do that I am putting off by being on here instead!

• Heart
Reactions: 21
A Valais Blacknose or something a bit more ordinary? A Valais Blacknose ewe lamb around £2,500-£3,000 each. For North Country Cheviots, like mine, if you were buying from my friend Joyce, who has proven herself with her stock time and time again in the sale ring that she breeds a sheep which will grow on quickly and easily for meat or will birth and rear healthy lambs with very little intervention needed, then you'd be looking at about £200 for a ewe lamb or one of her retiring 5-year-old ewes (they'll carry on having lambs for a good 5 or 6 years more, but need either better grazing or less harsh weather to do really well from then on). From someone like me, just doing it for a hobby, about £50. Bear in mind they can't live alone, so budget for at least 2 and preferably 3 because then when one inevitably drops dead for no apparent reason, the other one still has company.
Thank you
*runs off to show Mr Moo and begins campaign to get a sheep or 3 for birthday by convincing mini Moos to help put pressure on Dad...

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
This is going to sound creepy but I actually think of you a lot! Thank you so much for the advice. I do feel very ungrateful because actually after the first 4 months, I’ve had a very easy pregnancy. Even now in my 3rd tri I’m still super mobile and don’t have any aches or pains. I feel a bit like a fraud because for the most part I’m fine and I do have an extremely supportive husband who I can easily spend 24hrs a day with and still not get bored of him. I think I’m just grieving for the time lost. Other people have had weddings cancelled, lost loved ones and haven’t been able to go to funerals.

All of my further midwife appointments have been moved to phone calls. At my last in person appt they gave me a small blood pressure machine so I can test before each call. I don’t mind too much but it means no hearing the heartbeat or having a physical to tell me how baby is lying in there etc. It can sometimes feel like I’m a bit rudderless in this all. I hate the advice of listen to your body because honestly the only clear thing my body says is “you want McDonalds...”

Right enough of this self pitying and thread hogging! Sending you & mini lots of love xxxx
You know you can ask for IRL appts if you feel it’d benefit you and baby, you’re entitled to say actually my anxiety is mad I’d really appreciate it if we could listen to the heart beat this week can I come in please. They should be quite agreeable, ours always were thank god. You don’t need to have the highest risk most traumatic pregnancy to warrant feeling adrift, it’s covid and it’s horrible to everyone. Definitely ask about extra support, my MW said she was making MH referrals for basically 50% of her caseload because covid is making it so hard for all of us. You’re not alone in this, it’s horrible but there’s lots of lovey silver linings in the future, and most importantly a wonderful happy baby. How close to your date are you if you don’t mind me asking?

Tbh if you want McDonald’s, get the McDonald’s! You’re not gonna be eating it 3 meals a day so it’s not a problem, it’s like everything when in moderation it’s fine! Although absolute torture not being allowed a McFlurry 😂 xx

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Highlight of my day so far - got an email from Sainsbury’s saying if I subscribe today I would get a copy of Mom’s new book so I’ve done it! I usually buy the magazine each month anyway so the book is a lovely bonus

Also I just went on the Megan and Harry thread. It’s scary 😭😂

• Haha
Highlight of my day so far - got an email from Sainsbury’s saying if I subscribe today I would get a copy of Mom’s new book so I’ve done it! I usually buy the magazine each month anyway so the book is a lovely bonus

Also I just went on the Megan and Harry thread. It’s scary 😭😂
There are so many people with extremely strong opinions on Harry and Meghan. I don't follow them admittedly so no idea if they've drop kicked puppies into orbit for fun or something to justify the ire they get.

Amazed me how personally people took them abdicating, one the one hand you had:

"She STOLE Harry {a fully grown man} FROM HIS FAMILY. Meghan is EVIL."

and on the other you had:

"This country failed Harry!!! He's TRAUMATISED because of Diana!! THE QUEEN IS EVIL and killed his mum!!"

I was just like "sweet, one less couple our taxes are subsidising 🤷‍♀️" and hoped that was the end of it. 🤣 How wrong I was.

• Haha
Good luck to all the fraus trying to keep their kids entertained during half term this week. Mine is upstairs playing animal crossing and I expect I'll only see her around mealtimes for the rest of the day. Which is fine because we are moving out next week so there is a lot of boring tit for me to do that I am putting off by being on here instead!
In Scotland our half term was last week... I survived, helped along by plentiful snow for sledging and electronic devices!! Good luck. Back to “school” today, very stressful working from home and schooling 2 kids (1 dyslexic!). Counting down to Easter holidays...

• Heart
Reactions: 15
In Scotland our half term was last week... I survived, helped along by plentiful snow for sledging and electronic devices!! Good luck. Back to “school” today, very stressful working from home and schooling 2 kids (1 dyslexic!). Counting down to Easter holidays...
oh bless you! I thought scotland were sending there kids back to school after half term?

slightly obscene lunch today...leftover roast beef sandwiches with horseradish and pickled onions dipped in leftover gravy . The smell of gravy was enough to drag my 10 year old away from tending to her orchard on animal crossing...

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.