Food and Drink #16 Liedown larder

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Fraus. talk of the weather and broken heating (hope it gets fixed soon, mine was broken for ages 2 years ago and I still remember the unpleasantness of the mornings, all the sympathy from me), reminds me I have a random question. Do any of you have thoughts you'd like to share with me on oil central heating? Is it more/less/about the same to run as gas? Is it a massive hassle to deal with in any other way?

Also, private drainage. Anyone know about that? Is that a pain?

We're seriously considering a house that has both and I'm trying to put my sensible head on when considering it.

Oh, and big thanks to those with podcast recommendations. I am after new ones. I've just powered through the whole 'You're Wrong About' back catalogue (which is wonderful), and have just started on 'Everyone has an Ex' which is quite fun, and I am after new ones to listen to while packing and redecorating.

In food news, I made homemade chicken doner tonight. Was v nice, but was too tired to do all the sides, so had it with rice and yoghurt and a nod to green stuff. Used this recipe and I'm not convinced it made a very British chicken doner, but it was very tasty.

If you go for oil join your local oil club it will save you a fortune, the price will rise and fall throughout the year, try and fill when prices are low.

Reactions: 5
Fraus. talk of the weather and broken heating (hope it gets fixed soon, mine was broken for ages 2 years ago and I still remember the unpleasantness of the mornings, all the sympathy from me), reminds me I have a random question. Do any of you have thoughts you'd like to share with me on oil central heating? Is it more/less/about the same to run as gas? Is it a massive hassle to deal with in any other way?

Also, private drainage. Anyone know about that? Is that a pain?

We're seriously considering a house that has both and I'm trying to put my sensible head on when considering it.

Oh, and big thanks to those with podcast recommendations. I am after new ones. I've just powered through the whole 'You're Wrong About' back catalogue (which is wonderful), and have just started on 'Everyone has an Ex' which is quite fun, and I am after new ones to listen to while packing and redecorating.

In food news, I made homemade chicken doner tonight. Was v nice, but was too tired to do all the sides, so had it with rice and yoghurt and a nod to green stuff. Used this recipe and I'm not convinced it made a very British chicken doner, but it was very tasty.

We have oil heating, it's fine but you are fully at the mercy of the fluctuating oil market. It's a good idea to keep an eye on prices (and also an eye on the news for world events that may affect oil prices), and when it drops, grab it while you can! You can also shop around fuel companies and haggle to get a cheaper price. Oil boilers last a very long time if looked after, they're essentially little engines. I'm sure mine is 20+ years old. It can be hard, at least where I am, to find a decent engineer. Recommendations are key, so worth asking other oil users in the area who they have. We've just found a really good lady who is miles better than our last engineer, and really shows up the jobs he was neglecting to do all this time 😬.

We also have a cesspit here, it's no bother really other than paying for someone to empty it a couple of times a year, which isn't greatly expensive. Depending on your system and the size of your pipes, you may on occasion suffer with a blockage, which the drain man can be called for to rod for you. I honestly can't remember the last time that happened here though and our pipes are quite slim I think. Good practices (that we all should be doing anyway), like not putting fat down the sink, not flushing wipes down the loo, help keep things flowing.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
If you join your local oil club, no charge, they gather all local orders as one and get the companies to offer the best price, as the more you buy the cheaper it gets, so although you may only want 500litres you get the discount of the 5000litre price

• Heart
Reactions: 7
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
If you join your local oil club, no charge, they gather all local orders as one and get the companies to offer the best price, as the more you buy the cheaper it gets, so although you may only want 500litres you get the discount of the 5000litre price
There is one of those in our village, however the prices don't always end up being the cheapest 😕. I know our next door neighbour was a part of it for a while, but left because of that, plus having to coordinate his order with everyone else's, rather than being able to order when he wanted to. I guess other areas might be operated better/differently? I think if your area is a large one, you get more flexibility over when you can order, whereas it's a small population here so the order window is shorter and only comes up once a month or something.

Reactions: 6
Okay, 24 has eaten from my hand a second day, so she's eligible to join the ranks of the named :) What shall I call her? How about Tattle??

20210212_130113.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I'm not sure what name would suit her little face, but I think she should have a 2 part name, and be called Frau (something)!
Frau-Lynn! Lynn cos of the Partridge love on here, and it also sounds like Fraulein aka baby frau (I'm getting too invested in this)

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 19
i just have to share my lunch of dreams today! The dregs of last night's homemade sag aloo (basically just curried spinach), a freshly made chapati, garlic yogurt, lime pickle, mango chutney and some coriander. All rolled up and eaten as a wrap. omg i could eat a million of these.

E5964BF5-6F3B-49ED-B95C-4F0CD0521278.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I would just like to share some rage if I may... Owing (probably) to a diet that is 70% protein bar and pain at the moment I needed to buy prune juice on the way home last night.
Fortunately the situation didn't require a litre, so I figured I'd buy a can. Alas the shop only had Del Monte prunes in juice, the others were in syrup, so I had to actually put some of my pennies into their pockets.

That's annoying but just wait...

Upon emptying the juice into a glass to slug as fast as humanly possible I discovered that the juice which is advertised in huge letters on the front of the tin as part of the three word label "prunes in juice" is PINEAPPLE JUICE!

I'm fewmin, fraus, fewin.

I just wanted a little bit of prune juice, but I actually had to eat some of the bastards.
Urgh.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
i just have to share my lunch of dreams today! The dregs of last night's homemade sag aloo (basically just curried spinach), a freshly made chapati, garlic yogurt, lime pickle, mango chutney and some coriander. All rolled up and eaten as a wrap. omg i could eat a million of these.

View attachment 432590
That looks lush. Home made chapattis are one of my favourite things. So much more than the sum of their parts and making them puff up on a flame is hugely entertaining.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
That looks lush. Home made chapattis are one of my favourite things. So much more than the sum of their parts and making them puff up on a flame is hugely entertaining.
omg it really is! I used to work at a Ugandan street food stall (absolutely fascinating food history - hugely Indian influenced due to the Indian population who were ordered to leave by Idi Amin in the 70s) and prepping hundreds upon hundreds of chapatis every day was so stressful i didn't make them again for years :LOL: but it's amazing how all you need is flour and water! Love the puff

• Heart
Reactions: 13
There is one of those in our village, however the prices don't always end up being the cheapest 😕. I know our next door neighbour was a part of it for a while, but left because of that, plus having to coordinate his order with everyone else's, rather than being able to order when he wanted to. I guess other areas might be operated better/differently? I think if your area is a large one, you get more flexibility over when you can order, whereas it's a small population here so the order window is shorter and only comes up once a month or something.
Ours is several villages joined together, it has always been cheaper, but agree, about the co-ordination, they email asking if you need oil.

Reactions: 6

View attachment 432590
That looks lovely! When I have an Indian takeaway, I often deliberately save some for leftovers so I can make wraps the next day! So good.

This was my lunch today, similar Indian leftover theme going on, used the last of last night's butternut squash dhal to make a spicy soup. Just added water, a tin of tomatoes, chilli paste and some extra spices.

PXL_20210212_130151810.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 22
That looks lovely! When I have an Indian takeaway, I often deliberately save some for leftovers so I can make wraps the next day! So good.

This was my lunch today, similar Indian leftover theme going on, used the last of last night's butternut squash dhal to make a spicy soup. Just added water, a tin of tomatoes, chilli paste and some extra spices.

View attachment 432686
omg that looks incredible - wonderful photography too! what's your butternut squash dal recipe ?

Reactions: 12
Frau-Lynn! Lynn cos of the Partridge love on here, and it also sounds like Fraulein aka baby frau (I'm getting too invested in this)
I love this! My slow brain could only get as far as Slop-Ba in homage to Slop Bot or Sloppy but didn’t think it fair to tar her with the latter!

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.